Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Dear Mr. Drifter,

While waiting for delivery, I read this entire thread and the air hole adjustment [business is a little slow]. With your pictures, CAD drawing and written instructions I was able to put together a successful RM2 build, aligned properly that does taste fantastic. Using it will be a learned skill, when to squonk (when in doubt) and coordinate the squonk with the button. But I really like it after using it for about half a bottle.
Thank you and several others for this very helpful, informative thread. You ability to write coherently and provide visual assistance for the words is excellent. You are clear, concise and very easy to follow. If I wrote as well maybe my business wouldn't be slow right now.
Kindest regards,
CMD

Reactions: Robinowitz

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Dear Mr. Drifter,

While waiting for delivery, I read this entire thread and the air hole adjustment [business is a little slow]. With your pictures, CAD drawing and written instructions I was able to put together a successful RM2 build, aligned properly that does taste fantastic. Using it will be a learned skill, when to squonk (when in doubt) and coordinate the squonk with the button. But I really like it after using it for about half a bottle.
Thank you and several others for this very helpful, informative thread. You ability to write coherently and provide visual assistance for the words is excellent. You are clear, concise and very easy to follow. If I wrote as well maybe my business wouldn't be slow right now.
Kindest regards,
CMD

You are welcome my good man. Here's a a brand spankin new RM2 rebuild vid too :)

http://youtu.be/cFlaMfFgsw0

danibanani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
That was a great tutorial. I do have a question though. I went to a vape shop who taught me how to build my own coils. They showed me to "dry burn" the coils after it is installed on my RDA. From your post, you say to light it up with a lighter, cool it, and repeat twice. What is the difference? Is it a better taste quality?

And would long tweezers work instead of a hemostat, or would that get too hot?

Many thanks,
Dani

danibanani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
That was a great tutorial. I do have a question though. I went to a vape shop who taught me how to build my own coils. They showed me to "dry burn" the coils after it is installed on my RDA. From your post, you say to light it up with a lighter, cool it, and repeat twice. What is the difference? Is it a better taste quality?

Many thanks,
Dani

Either method is fine. I usually do both (a torch lighter is better, heats up the coil to a nice glow faster). I also use regular tweezers, BUT when torching the coil the tweezers WILL get hot (I wear a leather glove). After my coil is torched and installed, I dry fire it to tweeze it back into shape (always spreads a little bit during install) and to make sure it heats up from the inside out, and in the case of dual coils, to make sure they both heat at the same time. If they don't I tweak them around until they do

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

Many thanks,
Dani

Either method is fine. I usually do both (a torch lighter is better, heats up the coil to a nice glow faster). I also use regular tweezers, BUT when torching the coil the tweezers WILL get hot (I wear a leather glove). After my coil is torched and installed, I dry fire it to tweeze it back into shape (always spreads a little bit during install) and to make sure it heats up from the inside out, and in the case of dual coils, to make sure they both heat at the same time. If they don't I tweak them around until they do

Hey ya'll! that original tutorial is OLD :) we no longer heat up wire before we wind it around the gizmo rather than to hand wrap (form) wire around a stationary object. There is no need to heat and squeeze coils that are wound properly. Just cue em up to get em glowing perfectly. I use an object slightly narrower that my coils inner diameter to do that. For me, my cueing object is a 17 ga blunt needle.

Here, check this video on how I roll up coils and get rid of hot legs :)

danibanani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Great video! Now I know how to use my coiling gizmo. I need to get to the hardware store and get that screw and wing nut.

Where you get that HUGE roll of Kenthal wiring? I have just this tiny little roll. I need the big stuff.

Thanks for a great video. I'm so glad I don't have to heat my coil before wrapping it now.

I really appreciate the time you put into this.

Take care,
Dani

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Great video! Now I know how to use my coiling gizmo. I need to get to the hardware store and get that screw and wing nut.

Where you get that HUGE roll of Kenthal wiring? I have just this tiny little roll. I need the big stuff.

Thanks for a great video. I'm so glad I don't have to heat my coil before wrapping it now.

I really appreciate the time you put into this.

Take care,
Dani

Temco industrial for 100' spools. Just type in temcoindustrial on the web. I don't buy frm their EBay outlet I buy direct from them.

Thank you :)

MrsMojoRisin

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Great tutorial, Thanks X :thumbs:

I haven't been building coils long, and just got my REO/RM2 this weekend and was struggling a bit to find the right build. I'd say I'm about 90% there now thanks to this thread and your vid. I was running 28 gauge 5 wraps around a t6 torx (around 1.7 mm) @ 0.89 ohms and was getting really dry hits, having to squonk every pull and big throat hits. Just recoiled the 28 gauge (I only have 28 and 32 ATM) 10 wraps 1/16 drill bit @ 1.3 ohms and it is smooth sailing. Getting 2-3 good pulls between squonks and more flavor and vapor. I think placement on the deck and wicking tweaks were also key. I need to play a little more and get it closer to 1 ohm next time for a little more heat but I an a happy vapor right now!!! :laugh:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Great tutorial, Thanks X :thumbs:

I haven't been building coils long, and just got my REO/RM2 this weekend and was struggling a bit to find the right build. I'd say I'm about 90% there now thanks to this thread and your vid. I was running 28 gauge 5 wraps around a t6 torx (around 1.7 mm) @ 0.89 ohms and was getting really dry hits, having to squonk every pull and big throat hits. Just recoiled the 28 gauge (I only have 28 and 32 ATM) 10 wraps 1/16 drill bit @ 1.3 ohms and it is smooth sailing. Getting 2-3 good pulls between squonks and more flavor and vapor. I think placement on the deck and wicking tweaks were also key. I need to play a little more and get it closer to 1 ohm next time for a little more heat but I an a happy vapor right now!!! :laugh:

Awesome. Thank you. I'd highly recommend 29 ga, 8 wraps around 1/16" will put you real close to 1 ohm. I find that with micro coils, especially those wound in tension so the wraps actually contact each other need atleast 8 wraps to stay hot leg free.

Yes, coil height and relationship to airhole are key.

MrsMojoRisin

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Awesome. Thank you. I'd highly recommend 29 ga, 8 wraps around 1/16" will put you real close to 1 ohm. I find that with micro coils, especially those wound in tension so the wraps actually contact each other need atleast 8 wraps to stay hot leg free.

Yes, coil height and relationship to airhole are key.

Hey X or any other Reonaut willing to chime in-
If I am using 28 gauge instead of 29, 8 wraps around a 5/64ths drill bit should get me close to 1 ohm right? I inquired about 29 gauge at my local b&m but they don't stock anything less than 24 gauge. :glare: I do use microcoils but I wrap them slightly spaced and pinch them together after pulsing until they touch. I think the spacing and extra wire from the little spaces may be why my builds come out slightly higher than I'm trying for. I do use the steam engine calculator but I am always a little off. I don't think it is my ohm reader but maybe the hubs will surprise me with a nice multimeter for Christmas so I can double check my builds. :laugh:

MrsMojoRisin

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
a 7/6 build will be closer to 1 ohm.

Are you changing the ID field to .0781 which = 5/64,

I found it to be pretty accurate, the other thing you can adjust is the length of the legs, if you've got longer legs then your coil will be higher than calculator if you don't adjust it.

Thanks FB, I was thinking 8 wraps on 1/16th, I not sure how I mixed that up. I just checked again and it's closer to 7 on a 1/16th or 6 on a 5/64th. I'm not sure how you would do a half wrap and have both legs pointing in the same direction. You may be right about the leg length throwing me off, I don't measure them just position the coil approximately where I want it and tighten the posts down. I will figure this out eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread