Sattec's atty cleaning test thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
please don't soak in crest for hours. I said rinse in crest for 15 minutes. Longer soak time is not better. A hot crest, 15 minute wash, seems to be the proper time. Yes, the dry time is killer but please make sure the atty is dry and no crest remains.

hey, is there anyway crest pro could change the ohms value of an atty?? Yes, if the atty is still wet from the crest or a long soak attacked the glue and messed up the contacts, true or false???

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Well, not a permanent change to the ohms as that is a physical characteristic of the heater wire.

More likely the wire resistance changes with age/oxidation and that won't be cleaned away.

I just tried your Crest rinse last night and it does rock as the quickest, safest and "freshest" :) way to clean. It hasn't revived my very gunky 801 atty but that was already 2+ weeks old and probably dying a slow death anyway.

Thumbs way up on the find and thanks!

EDIT: I suppose the Crest could leave some kind of deposit on the wire and that could increase resistance but I would expect that to happen over a long period of time.

Last edited:

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
OK, did the 15 min soak on 3 510s and no joy. Left them for 10 hours and rinsed and let dry over night. They are again producing vapor but still have hard draw. Taste like crest as well but that's because I did not do the water soak. the soak is happening now. I will dry over night again and try in the morning...

Nestran

ryknow4324

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2009
Huntsville, AL
Amazing work man, truly great. I had 3 atomizers that were about a month old and one brand new one that was about two days old. They were all very hard to draw on, even the new one. I did the 15 minute crest shake agitation. From there I put the atties in a little everclear, shook that for about 10 minutes. Blew them out, got any excess moisture out of them with some tissue, then I got a hair dryer and blew on them for about 5 minutes. The hairdryer part was just so I could vape faster. Anyway, worked like a charm. Thanks a lot.

riche

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2009
Cape Town
[FONT="]Me again ... found another mouthwash here in SA - same active ingredients :)
[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
Any advice on a good 510 atty maintenance schedule … or any tips???
I have been draining every night with a rolled tissue pushed into the cylinder up to wick – this does a great job at drying out atty – BUT should I be doing this EVERY night ???

Maybe the morning heavy prime up is not great every day ???

Also is it best to keep attys wet or dry when not using??

Tried doing short daily dry burns +/- 1 second – could be good?

Soaking in liquid every 3 -7 days.
Have tried numerous liquids :
Boiling and warm water – bit worried about boiling?
Coke-Cola – seems ok but ridiculous.
Mouthwash – I hear Crest is good in USA (I found similar here in SA)
Pure alcohol - messed up an atty
Any help welcome ... Ta ...

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
Well, I'm happy so many are making it work for them...I'm working on something even better for cleaning atty's!!!! This new trick will blow your socks off......question, is it worth seven minutes to clean your atty bettter than Crest pro and be able to use it right away? The new process is less than than half the time of a Crest wash and there's no Crest taste or soaking required...I didn't say Crest wasn't still used, I said no Crest after taste if you make a few changes in your procedure...I'm still working out the details, I learned you have to be careful and know every detail before you turn people loose ......

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Sattec,
Thx so much for taking the time to go through all this for us... I will try the 15 min. warmed agitating rinse tomorrow on my 401 atty that was dropped... (i have gotten it at working status now but it's not 100%, so figure this can be beneficial if nothing else) -
Once I do the rinse, YOUR suggestion is an overnight water soak or just rinsing in water for a few minutes??
I will be watching this thread for your other "experiment"...
A couple Questions... Drying.. Is this done best to "drip dry" or hairdryer method, or oven? & if the Crest is not properly rinsed off will drying the crest on the atty harm it in any way? Would you suggest blowing it out after the water soak before drying?
Can you explain "Priming" to me? Mine is a 401 so my bridge is exposed... for the life of me (and it could be my eyesight) I can not see a coil or wick... Should I drop a few drops of VG in the underside center of the bridge?? or just on the bridge itself?? & then should I let that "soak" in first and drip more VG or then start to take "primer puffs" to heat up the atty?
Thx for helping to clear up these few questions...

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Once I do the rinse, YOUR suggestion is an overnight water soak or just rinsing in water for a few minutes??
The longer you soak the better you'll get the toothpaste taste out.

A couple Questions... Drying.. Is this done best to "drip dry" or hairdryer method, or oven?
All methods of drying are equal as long as it gets dry.
If you need them quick then I suggest in the oven at 150 degress for 20 minutes.

I let my atomizers dry for at least one day before using them.

If they are still wet they won't work very well for awhile.
A lot of people think they ruined them, and probably throw away perfectly good atomizers.

Would you suggest blowing it out after the water soak before drying?
That would certainly help to dry it faster.

Can you explain "Priming" to me?
Priming is generallly the idea of putting a few drops directly on the bridge of a dry atomizer.
But a completely cleaned and dried atomizer might take more than a few drops.

Mine is a 401 so my bridge is exposed... for the life of me (and it could be my eyesight) I can not see a coil or wick... Should I drop a few drops of VG in the underside center of the bridge?? or just on the bridge itself??
Normally the answer is just on the bridge itself.
But since your atomizer is exposed, I would strongly suggest DIPPING instead of dripping.

Just put some juice in the bottom of a shot glass and dip the atomizer in it.
It will soak up as much juice as it needs all by itself.

A cheap little plastic contact lense case works even better.

then should I let that "soak" in first
If the atomizer is completely cleaned and dried it will need to soak in.
And once it does it will definitely take some more.

But you have to be careful not to flood it too.

Which is why since your atomizer is exposed I strongly suggest dipping.
Then you don't have to worry how many drops you'll need.
The atomizer will figure that out for you.
:)

Last edited:

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
here's a tip before you use Crest Pro to super clean your atty....It take about 10 blows to COMPLETLY release the juice prime in an 801 atty, don't believe me? Blow into the batt end of an 801 atty and you can vape the prime about 10-12 times before you finally just see a glow and no more sizzle is heard. Everytime you blow into the batt end, you release a little more prime or mesh juice holdings, into the burn "pan". You can "blow" primer into the burn pan MANY times and vape it, try it. It really cleans up your atty's mesh. It's gonna surprise you how long you can vape the prime frpm the mesh just by blowing into the batt end when the vape stops. The mesh is holding a ton of juice, blowing into it releases the juice over and over again before you finally run completely out of any juice in the mesh....this is advance atty tweaking, not everybody will understand what I just wrote, if you don't understand it, don't try it. Wait and read what the other atty masters say about what I just wrote above....if you can't "vape your prime 10 times", I would conclude you run your atty "lean", I think a lean atty works better than a "flooded" atty or eccessively wet atty.....as long as you hear the "slurping" sound when you blow into the batt port, your pushing juice out of the mess into the boil pan, when the slurpy sound stops, wait a few minute then confirm by blowing and conecting to the batt to make sure there is no juice to burn...I swear, I got this down to 6 drops, my atty's are running on no more than six drops on board at any time.....not 20 drops in the mess. My juice burn taste very fresh but I am dripping so I dripp 4 drops as needed. Now, I can only " blow" mesh juice twice and I'm cleaned out on the mesh reserve....understand??? anybody???

OK OK ....you have to completely cover the batt end with your mouth and puff air into the atty quickly about three times, then connect to the batt and vape the juice, keep doing that over and over until you finally get no vape. Count how many times you blew and vaped the results...your gonna be surprised how much juice is locked into the mesh....do this before you use the Crest Pro and the Pro works even better because the mesh is not full of juice...comprende????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread