Sattec's atty cleaning test thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
if you blow out the prime completely and just wash for 7 minutes, rinse with warm water, you'll get the same results with less after taste....somebody pm'd me that they cut the cpro with distilled water 50/50 and they had no after taste after rinsing..... cpro does appear to be the real deal...;)

Last edited:

Nepenthy

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Cbus, Ohio
I wonder what this would do if you used the crest in an ultrasonic bath.

It works awesome! Ive never seen so many/much black chunks in any cleaning method to date, as I did after I washed a one week old atomizer in a jewlery cleaner with crest bath. Maybe the chunks dont break apart with hand agitating, but break down into smaller particles in the ultrasonic cleaner. Anyway, it worked awesome for me, and probably a little better for the atomizer since you arent shaking it up so much, just little vibrations.

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
I have a new test I want to do...but I need atty's that work this time but are junked up with juice....I need at least 30 REALLY plugged up Atty's, I have 10 already, I need 20 more that are really plugged but do still heat up. An example is " it heats up but no vape". I need atty's from you guys to test the different juices that are out there, if it's only my juice being tested, it ain't much of a test....anybody want to go another round of testing and research???? I don't expect you to send 5-10 atty's like last time, this test should be larger, more people donating 1 or 2 atty's. I also need the name of the juice you used the most with the atty or atty's you send....The final design is to develope an atty cleaner and refresher product. BTW- like others, I know how to strip most of the crud off the coil but it trashes the internal glue and the paint everytime.....I'd like to refine that process to finalize a two step wash and refresh process....anybody interested??? BTW- my atty's are working perfect and are at least 170 days old. oh yeah, please don't use rubbing alcohol anymore, as many problems as we have getting the cpro cleaned out, you don't want to vape traces of rubbing acohol by accident.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Sattec,

Going to give you something to ponder.. because as a test tool I think it is pretty hard to beat.

As folks for their dead KR808D-1 cartomizers. Once you get the hang of it, taking the cartomizers apart is pretty easy.. and when you're done, you have this very nice, exposed coil that is usually laden with all kinds of crap. Now drop THAT into your cleaning solution/system and you will get an almost immediate indication at how good your configuration is at removing the stuff that really matters.

Just something to ponder.

riche

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2009
Cape Town
... did have one problem with a janty dura atty - seemed to have what I hear is the wick material glued to the side of the atty - this came loose during wash and was a little thread just hanging - started tasting bad - so pushed thread under metal mesh and washed again - now ok ... a Joye atty does not seem to have this thread of wicking (dental floss type stuff) attached to side. I recon the glue was the tast and second wash got rid of it ???

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois (rural area)
I think it may depend on how much water is used for soaking. An atty soaked in a shot-glass of water is going to be more minty that an atty soaked in a gallon of water.

I think you are right. If the smell's not gone when I get home, I'm switching from the little container to a big one with a lot of water.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
I'm passed "exposed coils", I'm a crusader for the 801/112 atty. I have plenty of exposed coils/broken/cruddy parts "on file" in bins now. I'm ready to go to the last stage.....I don't think I can "fire" an 808D-1 cart/atty anyway.....

You may have missed my point. A good cleaning system can/should remove the baked-on gunk off of the coil. The KR808D-1 cartridge (when torn apart) gives you quick visual access to the coil.. so you can readily tell what the cleaning solution is really doing. Didn't really expect you to vape with the thing when you were done.

I have a gutted KR sitting in the Crest. I'll let you know when/if it comes clean.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Well, I spent almost an hour going through this thread. I was hoping to discover the fountain of youth for my attys. It looks like all this process does is restore the wick. Until someone discovers how to remove the carbon build up on the coil we just be postponing the eventual death of our atty.

I have had a lot of success using rubbing alcohol and soaking the atty for 2 to 3 days. A complete flush with hot water and a re-prime just works fine for me. PGA is great if you want to clean your atty and remove the paint at the same time. I have done just that recently to make matching SS attys for my protege. I have 3 brand new ones soaking right now overnight just to remove the paint.

I don't understand why some people are avoiding rubbing alcohol. The denature process doesn't make the alcohol poison it is designed to make you sick at your stomach so you will not try to drink it. I use it all the time to clean open wounds and on my fingers after I ..... them to test my blood. Here we are vaporizing insecticide that is a known poison and and inhaling it and we are afraid of rubbing alcohol.

Well that's just my 2 cents.

Kevin

Overlord

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Stony Plain, AB
First run sending 2 attys as followed.

Both attys had about a month of usage using juice mixed with VG.

Atty 1 came out pretty good. Draw isn't any better but is producing WAY better vapor and throat hit. Improvement seen but just wish the draw got looser.

Atty 2 had no change. Producing next to no vapor. Resoaked but rinsed better and will let dry for a longer period.

One thing I didn't see was anything in the mouthwash. No black bits, nothing. Didn't change color either. Juice used was from eastmall and healthcabin.

aa6660

Oct 6, 2009
Texas
Any hints on how to reprime after this process?

I soaked for 15-20 minutes last night in the HEB brand equavalent. Got one black spot and a bit of brown color surrounding the atty. Rinsed well and blew it out a few times then let it soak in water an hour or two. Then blew it out and let it air dry, threaded end up, overnight.

I've started dripping some and so I put in two drops and tried, nothing. Shook it around a bit. Another drop. A tiny hint of vapor. Another drop. Easier draw, but still very little vapor. I think I have put about 6 drops in total and I just don't want to flood the atty. Right now I just have it laying horizontal in its case.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Yeah, I think I saw numbers ranging from 4-20 drops to reprime and I just don't know how to tell if I need to add more drops or if I have flooded it.

I recommend dropping 4 drops right on top of the bridge of the atomizer. Then place a full cart on the atomizer and let the e-cig sit laying down for about 5 minutes. Make sure that you have a strong battery on the unit. After that start vaping by taking 3 or 4 lite long puffs without inhaling. I take the cart back off and top off again. Then begin vaping normally. It may take a little while for the atomizer to begin performing at full performance. I would recommend not taking hard drags if you hear a gurgling sound. A gurgling sound indicates that liquid is bypassing the atomizer and may end up in your mouth.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread