Silverplay RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
For my MTL build, I also used Kanthal (26 ga 3mm 7 wraps) I'm going to take it apart, clean it and look at the o-rings. I figured it's new so didn't even look at them but this was my first one and had issues getting the chamber off/on... might have damaged the o-ring. When I got my second one, I had my technique worked out better. The first build I used the airflow insert with the small holes... works great but slowly gets clogged with juice. Tried the one with larger holes this time (and just close down air intake slot more) This time I used a simple clapton (3mm 6 wraps) For my second one I used same clapton but 5 wraps (they are both pre-wound spaced coils) Like I said, I wouldn't have got them if I noticed they are wound counterclockwise! I actually liked my home wound coil better for the MTL build (might have been 8 wraps... came out to 1.2 ohms)

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Update: rebuilt the Silverplay (the one that leaked) Took it part, cleaned it, removed coil (even loosened 510 center screw and removed Pos post) Got a magnifying glass and tried to see if there an o-ring on the deck (where the chamber slides on) Couldn't really tell... too tight of space to be sure (if there is, how the heck do you replace it?) Re-wicked it (with slots closed about 1/3 of the way)... (drum roll please) NO LEAKS... at all. Actually seemed to be dry hitting a bit. That's fine with me... don't mind working out the details... it means there is hope and no more "pissing on my mod". My best guess is that I didn't get that chamber all the way pushed down (or not straight?) Also tightened the tank extra good. Anyway, it isn't a defect just a "fiddly" build (is that a "Brit" word... never got it) The other one has worked great since day one so all is well :)

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Going to re-wick it today. I think I used some crappy cotton (from cheap cotton ball... I only use that for "quick and dirty" taste tests with a RDA for DIY juices) No wonder it wasn't wicking well. Will use Rayon this time (that's why I closed the juice slots part way... rayon wicks too good... for cotton I would open them up more)

Reactions: puffon

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
OK, I'm sort of losing my mind! Re-wicked with rayon (juice slots closed a bit) and it's leaking again. My other Silverplay is fine... both using 3mm ID coils. This first one I got has always had issues. I couldn't tell if there is an o-ring at the base where the chamber slides on... does anyone know? Can't really see down there and not enough space to get a pick down there. I've unscrewed the 510 center pin and removed POS post but does the build deck unscrew too? Also going to try to take my other one apart to compare (when it needs rebuild) maybe that first time I got it, I had trouble getting the chamber off... might have squeezed to hard on it (made it out of round?) Oh well... the other one is rockin'... love it!

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    OK, I'm sort of losing my mind! Re-wicked with rayon (juice slots closed a bit) and it's leaking again. My other Silverplay is fine... both using 3mm ID coils. This first one I got has always had issues. I couldn't tell if there is an o-ring at the base where the chamber slides on... does anyone know? Can't really see down there and not enough space to get a pick down there. I've unscrewed the 510 center pin and removed POS post but does the build deck unscrew too? Also going to try to take my other one apart to compare (when it needs rebuild) maybe that first time I got it, I had trouble getting the chamber off... might have squeezed to hard on it (made it out of round?) Oh well... the other one is rockin'... love it!

I don't have this RTA. But I would replace the o-rings that are on the glass cage and the top cap that sits on the cage

Reactions: muth

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    There is no o-ring there.
    So it's just metal-to metal fit? That's what I suspected. Going to rebuild it today and see if I can fine something the right diameter to check if it's "OoR"
    How tight do you guys tighten the small cap on the chamber? I go firm but don't want to over-tighten and mess up the small o-ring. If it's leaking, it's not from under-tightening (and the o-ring there looks fine) I know the top of chamber is not "OoR" because the cap wouldn't thread on (others have made that mistake) I always have the cap on when removing/pushing down (OCD about that) I gently push chamber down (wick ends up "rabbit ears") without cap, then put wick ends into slots, screw cap on and push all the way down. Maybe I'm missing something but very careful to do this right. The "chimney" o-ring look fine and seems too. Maybe I'll go back to using cotton (but rayon works fine in my other Silverplay)

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2013
    Texas
    Limit your fill to 2ml; this is basically just below the top of the chamber housing. If I fill higher, mine were doing the same. I tried replacing the chimney oring but didn't see a difference. But then realized the 2ml capacity (as advertised) puts the juice level just below top of the chamber. And voila -- and no more leaking. Likewise on the bubble tank solution; fill the tank to just below top of the chamber (this is 3ml), and no leaking. Post back if this does the trick. Cheers

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I agree about not trying to fill all the way... that does help. Going to re-wick tomorrow. Going back to cotton (not that I don't love rayon... just less chance of leaking) After re-tracing my steps, I realized when I wicked (accidentally) with cheapo cotton (rather tight) it not only didn't leak, I was almost getting dry hits. That means it's not another issue (besides wicking) or it would have leaked anyway. I'll use good quality cotton this time (I got some of the crap stuff mixed in my bag by accident) You guys were not kidding about how critical wicking is. Still can't explain why my other Silverplay has not given me trouble (using either good cotton or rayon)

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Love these little flavor monsters, but not that much experience yet.

My advice would be to not stuff the wick TOO tightly into the holder thingy (sorry, it's late, I need to go to bed.)

Anna tight is not regular tight but I destroyed my first one but After determining my love for the RTA so now I have two and one in rotation.

The wicking (rayon) seems to last forever on these things too.

Anna

• Agree
    Reactions: LoveVanilla

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I just watched two video reviews (again... Grimm Green and Matt SMM) and both mentioned an o-ring in the deck that holds the chamber. Just took it apart, rinsed and dried it. I don't really want to remove the coil (it's still almost new) but if anyone knows if there is a way to remove the deck, I'll remove the coil (just to see if there is an o-ring and if it's messed up) Going to wait... hopefully someone has an answer for me (some of you said there is no o-ring?)

Reactions: stols001

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I just watched two video reviews (again... Grimm Green and Matt SMM) and both mentioned an o-ring in the deck that holds the chamber. Just took it apart, rinsed and dried it. I don't really want to remove the coil (it's still almost new) but if anyone knows if there is a way to remove the deck, I'll remove the coil (just to see if there is an o-ring and if it's messed up) Going to wait... hopefully someone has an answer for me (some of you said there is no o-ring?)
    When you take it apart, let us know if there is an o-ring there.
    Looking at the spares bag it looks like there is a thin one that may fit.

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    For now, I just re-wicked it (if that didn't work I was going to go in deep) Used good cotton, fairly tight through coil (3mm) and slightly closed juice slots... NO LEAKS (thank god) a little weak on vapor at first then started getting better. All is well. I did verify that the chamber was NOT out of round (and it seemed a tight fit pushing down onto deck) I guess the last time I wicked it with rayon just didn't use enough (I also think I used more on my other Silverplay) Good old "user error"... I was really in a hurry the last time I messed with it.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Something very odd happened. Not a drop leaked out the air slot, and I was almost getting semi-dry hits. I decided to add a bit of another juice (so both flavors would mix in the tank) I gently tipped it upside down (to help mix the juices) and some juice ran out the drip tip! When I tipped it back up, still not a drop came out of the air slot. The top cap on that one always seems a bit loose (the other was always tighter) I think that's where the issue is (it leaks from the tank into the chimney) I'm going to make a thin plastic "washer" to go behind the silicon seal for top cap. Funny thing is it doesn't leak out of the tank... just internally.
    I know... will this ever end?

• Optimistic

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2015
    Virginia
    Something very odd happened. Not a drop leaked out the air slot, and I was almost getting semi-dry hits. I decided to add a bit of another juice (so both flavors would mix in the tank) I gently tipped it upside down (to help mix the juices) and some juice ran out the drip tip! When I tipped it back up, still not a drop came out of the air slot. The top cap on that one always seems a bit loose (the other was always tighter) I think that's where the issue is (it leaks from the tank into the chimney) I'm going to make a thin plastic "washer" to go behind the silicon seal for top cap. Funny thing is it doesn't leak out of the tank... just internally.
    I know... will this ever end?
    I remember having a leak and it was that cap to the deck. I forgot about that but i just didnt have it tight. Now im sure i will break that oring because i put alot into tightening it now.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I have to stop myself from overdoing that part too.
    Hey, I found the problem. Compared my silver one (the troublemaker) with my black one (the good guy)
    The part that holds the top cap (with drip tip... not the chamber) is different than my other one. "Thinner"... the tapered part (got out a magnifier) and top doesn't feel tight at all when on. Basically I'll have to be careful to only fill the tank part way and should be OK (and not tilt it too much) Going to "okie rig" a thin spacer under the top cap seal... might fix it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread