Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
Portland, OR
So glad I found this thread! I need to switch to an herbal tea at night. Once I close down the laptop and start in on the DVR list I end up vaping a LOT - and up until 2-3am (combined with some "ooh, pretty shiny" distractions followed by a web search).

I also want to try Mugwort. I smoked it once, out of an actual corn cob pipe made by a hippie named River. I liked it.

ETA: I recognize the risk of vaping herbs with medicinal properties and will do A LOT of research before trying this out.

Last edited:

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Back on track to tobaccos: My latest extraction, just off the boil today, is derived from Samuel Gawith "Sam's Flake" blend, which is a combination of flue-cured Virginia and Oriental tobaccos. This one smells so amazing I can't stand it.

All the pipe blends are a bit stickier than the cigars, probably due to the higher sugar levels. I strain these extra carefully to compensate for that. Still, I recommend vaping them at 6-6.5 watts to minimize any burning,

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
WooPig, how exciting! Please post your results, good or bad. I have not been shy about sharing my failures:)

The Sam's Flake that I'm straining came from a website that conveniently sells 10mg samplers of pipe tobacco. I bought...quite a few actually :D in different styles, strengths, and varieties of tobacco. Sam's will be my first straight unflavored tobacco.

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So glad I found this thread! I need to switch to an herbal tea at night. Once I close down the laptop and start in on the DVR list I end up vaping a LOT - and up until 2-3am (combined with some "ooh, pretty shiny" distractions followed by a web search).

I also want to try Mugwort. I smoked it once, out of an actual corn cob pipe made by a hippie named River. I liked it.

ETA: I recognize the risk of vaping herbs with medicinal properties and will do A LOT of research before trying this out.

Jaco, besides the medicinal qualities of the herbs, be sure that your extracts can handle multiple heating/cooling cycles...both from the cook process AND the vaping. Glad to see you're on top of it.

LifeLongJoyRide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2009
Austin TX
Hey Scarf, how is the odor while/after the crockpot sessions. Only thing holding me back is the fear of explaining to the Mrs why our furniture will forever smell like pipe tobacco. :) They smell of a slow cooked roast may linger for a few short hours...does the smell of slow cooked tobacco kick it's shoes off and make itself comfortable?

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey Scarf, how is the odor while/after the crockpot sessions. Only thing holding me back is the fear of explaining to the Mrs why our furniture will forever smell like pipe tobacco. :) They smell of a slow cooked roast may linger for a few short hours...does the smell of slow cooked tobacco kick it's shoes off and make itself comfortable?

LLJR it is honestly minimal to no room odor. I uncover the pot after I turn it off in the morning and give it a little stir. Only then do I get a whiff of it.

i am a little confused maybe someone can shed some light on the issue i am having. When you use straight tobacco like say i crush a camel cigarette take the tobacco from inside and then make an extraction out of that . dont i still get all the chemicals that is in the cigarette as well.?? i mean if so.. doesint that defeat the purpose? and lets say I DO get all the chemicals. is there a way to make a tobacco extraction without using "processed" tobacco can i use fresh tobacco leaves? or some type of tobacco that has not been treated that is safe for inhalation? thanks guys ;)

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Scarf, gotta question. In your initial post you say that you steep the "concentrate" for a couple of weeks. You don't mention anything about steeping the final product (nic added). Could you explain that a bit? My thought is it would be better to steep the final product...but you are the pro...

Thanks..
Woo, I steep both the concentrate and the final mixed product. I taste-test it at various points along the way. That way I know if I need to dilute, add more concentrate, etc.
i am a little confused maybe someone can shed some light on the issue i am having. When you use straight tobacco like say i crush a camel cigarette take the tobacco from inside and then make an extraction out of that . dont i still get all the chemicals that is in the cigarette as well.?? i mean if so.. doesint that defeat the purpose? and lets say I DO get all the chemicals. is there a way to make a tobacco extraction without using "processed" tobacco can i use fresh tobacco leaves? or some type of tobacco that has not been treated that is safe for inhalation? thanks guys ;)
Cold Turkey, I would stick to quality tobaccos. The pages of this forum are littered with the sad stories of folks who tried to extract a Marlboro or some such, and it came out just awful. Most of the chemicals are from burning tobacco or so I've heard.

I'm not an expert and have not claimed expertise, but to avoid any issues I would do some research and find the highest quality pipe or cigar or RYO from a reputable vendor. Mass-market cigs are IMHO unlikely to yield good results.

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Guys I have a gallon of PG/Vg, Do you have any suggestions on what I can extract? Dried fruit? Tobacco? Anything else?
Pipe tobacco, something with a lot of Cavendish if you want a sweet blend, or Latakia if you want a bitey-smokey hit. I reckon dried apricots would be terrific too.
A while back you said that you were out of pg and were going to try a 100% vg cook. How did that work out. I'm about to start some slow cook experiments of my own and was thinking about using straight vg for the concentrates and dilluting with pg based nic after the cooking sessions.

LLJR I did that with the coffee, which tasted awful, but. Cannot be certain if it was the fault of the VG or the coffee. I am moving toward higher VG in my bought juices so I will probably do another all VG attempt soon.

LifeLongJoyRide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2009
Austin TX
I'm thinking I'm just going to jump in and give it a shot. I've got some pipe tobacco that I'm familiar with on the way. I'm going to try and spice them up a little and add some cocoa beans and/or vanilla bean directly into the mix so that it all cooks together. I know that I should probably just keep it simple at first and make separate bases that I could mix together later...but my mind has been swimming with ideas of the flavors fused together and my mouth is almost watering. Lol

Coffees and teas seem like they might be trickier to work with in general. The outcome of even the drink versions can be ruined by overheating or oversteeping them. Extended time and heat would seem to be our enemies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread