Status
Not open for further replies.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I'm finding that the Toque stuff is so fine that I'm sniffing it way too far up my nose (and beyond) using my little spoon method, no matter how gently I sniff. It's making my nose run a lot more, too. I've decided to try the pinch method again because everybody swears by it. The only problems are that my nose is getting brown (need a brown nose smiley!), and it's a bit messy.

I can see why nasal snuff will stay a niche tobacco product, because it takes a lot of skill to learn how to use it right.

Thanks for all your welcomes, etc.

Greetings Blue Sun.

Sly touched on this with respect to the pinch method. The following post really helped me in nailing the pinch.

As suggested by snuffin on snuffhouse.org:
"What I do, is breath in till I fill my lungs completely just before I sniff so the sniff is extremely gentle, if hardly at all. Once I've taken the snuff into either side of my nose I simply breath out through my mouth then give another sniff of the nose just to make sure the snuff is secure. If there is any snuff left over on my fingers, I simply sniff that as I please because I've already got snuff coating the inside of the lower half of my nose so the rest has something to cling onto rather than shoot straight to the back of my throat/into my sinuses. Give it a try and I think you'll have a decent result with that."

The grind and moisture content of the Toque products should make them easy to take. The key remains in gentle air flow. Amount can also be controlled while snuff by using a rubbing motion twixt the the finger and thumb to release the snuff rather than smple opening the finger tips.

@ voltaire
hehe, I too have given up on assigning "favorite" to any single snuff. there are too many that are entirely too good!

BlueSun

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2008
Canada, brrrr
Hey folks. I've been following all of your suggestions and am slowly getting better at the pinch method. I don't like making a mess, so what I've done is place a small plate under my snuff tin and sniff over that.

Oh yeah! I thought I'd try the spoon method again, and it kept shooting up my nose making me cough and cough, and I could feel it running and burning down my throat. Haha. Wasn't too bad actually.

Now, the only problem I'm having is flavor. The Toque (Natural and Lavender) smells lovely in the tin, but once I put it up my nose (especially Lavender) there's just a faint scent, it's so underwhelming. I expected it to permeate my senses. The food cooking in the kitchen is even overpowering it. Do you find this with Toque snuff? I want to like it more, especially because they offer free shipping. I think I may have to place an order for the stronger snuff suggested on here.

Here goes another pinch! :D

Last edited:

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Now, the only problem I'm having is flavor. The Toque (Natural and Lavender) smells lovely in the tin, but once I put it up my nose (especially Lavender) there's just a faint scent, it's so underwhelming. I expected it to permeate my senses. The food cooking in the kitchen is even overpowering it. Do you find this with Toque snuff?

A lot of toque snuffs, in my experience, have a very short-lived flavor when you sniff them. For example, the Toque Champagne has a very sweet and champagne-y flavor, but the flavor is gone in a matter of seconds. Other toques though, have a longer lasting flavor. The toque coke has a longer lasting cola flavor, and the toque absinthe definitely lingers quite a bit.

Another way of enjoying the flavor of a snuff is to change location after you sniff. Go outside for some fresh(and cold) air, which will help you appreciate the flavor more. Before I walk to class, I take a few sniffs of Samuel Gawith Raspberry, and the flavor is out of this world in the fresh air! Not only do the flavors become more apparent, but if you sniff a menthol snuff the cold air makes it even more chillingly refreshing!

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
A lot of toque snuffs, in my experience, have a very short-lived flavor when you sniff them. For example, the Toque Champagne has a very sweet and champagne-y flavor, but the flavor is gone in a matter of seconds. Other toques though, have a longer lasting flavor. The toque coke has a longer lasting cola flavor, and the toque absinthe definitely lingers quite a bit.

Another way of enjoying the flavor of a snuff is to change location after you sniff. Go outside for some fresh(and cold) air, which will help you appreciate the flavor more. Before I walk to class, I take a few sniffs of Samuel Gawith Raspberry, and the flavor is out of this world in the fresh air! Not only do the flavors become more apparent, but if you sniff a menthol snuff the cold air makes it even more chillingly refreshing!
Sly....Not sure if you have tried the Toque Pomegranate?....That one does have some lengthly hang-time! Nice scent also!

:)The Wiz!

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Sly....Not sure if you have tried the Toque Pomegranate?....That one does have some lengthly hang-time! Nice scent also!

I agree! I only have a bullet of the pomegranate, and it's in my order for next time! The Toque Pomegranate and Toque Raspberry were two of my first snuffs, and i loved them both. very smooth, characteristically toque based on the tobacco and grind, and a wonderful flavor! pomegranate has a longer hang-time than the raspberry tho!

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Ya I did with the coconut toffee!! BALLS MAN!! cookie smelling and the back throat drip reminded me of well doing naughty things with a Hawaiian tropic model back in my younger days.
DB....Some would say that was a bit too much information....I on the other hand would say "God I wish I was you sometimes"(Other than the dental stuff that is!)

BlueSun

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2008
Canada, brrrr

I was beginning to think something was wrong with my nose, so that's good to know. I should place another order for some other Toque snuffs, but this time I'll get 10g tins. I'm getting better and better at my pinch technique. I no longer have to blow my nose as the snuff isn't going up too far - what does, I'm able to handle and back off sniffing. If I move the pinch around my nostrils and away from the center, I can distribute snuff around the sides without it going up into the sinuses. Now I need to find some good handkerchiefs, as all I can find locally are light-coloured ones. Just something to wipe off the tobacco that inevitably marks the nose.

I took my dog out for a walk in the woods today, and you're absolutely right about the flavor in the fresh air. I kept getting whiffs of tobacco scent in the light breeze. It was only ruined by a strange conversation I had with a lady. We were having a nice talk about the human right to euthanasia for terminally ill patients, and then she suddenly connects it to her annoyance over "young people like you" sitting in their cars at the supermarket having their groceries delivered to them by the staff. I walked away perplexed, further driven into misanthropy. :rolleyes:

W Axl Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Iowa
Is there any reason snuff can't just be rubbed in the nostril (placed in the nostril) with a q-tip or fingertip? That way it wouldn't go up the sinuses, right?
Also, for you netipot users...when you use that, doesn't it wash the snus up into the sinuses? Or is that the goal ;)

Thanks Wiz, I'm going to try that! I'm getting braver!!

Last edited:

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Is there any reason snuff can't just be rubbed in the nostril (placed in the nostril) with a q-tip or fingertip? That way it wouldn't go up the sinuses, right?
Also, for you netipot users...when you use that, doesn't it wash the snus up into the sinuses? Or is that the goal ;)

Thanks Wiz, I'm going to try that! I'm getting braver!!
W....There are several snuffs that I use the place and press method to avoid travelling to far in....some coarser snuffs may try to escape when you do this...others such as Schmalzlers are moist enough to hold thier place inside the nostral!

Neti pots are great even without snuff use.I generally blow out a time or two before using the neti.It basicly lets water(with a saline mix)travel in one one nostral...through the sinuses and out the other nostral.After I am done another blow-out is in order and thats that.I generally use mine every other day now....or as needed! have not had a sinus cold or headache since I began using it!

Keep practicing....gets easier as you go!

Honestly since I got this rotten effed up tooth out of my skull I have not had one headache. OK slightly different headache but from the pressure in my cheek and hard palate. nothing like the sinus headaches nor the tension headaches..

If I get to stuffed a wee bit of menthol and right as rain.

YePsTeR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
Northern Michigan
Ok...I'm new to snuff and placed my first order with Mr. Snuff. I ordered 14 different kinds all across the board. My package came yesterday...I was very happy!!!! Why this blows??? I have had a head cold for 1 day now and can't breath or smell ANYTHING!!!! LOL!!!! I never get sick....I can't believe the timing here ...DANG!!!!! Ok...so here sits all this snuff and all I can do is admire it.

I did get a free big sample of Molens Bon Bon....anybody try that one???

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico
Ok...I'm new to snuff and placed my first order with Mr. Snuff. I ordered 14 different kinds all across the board. My package came yesterday...I was very happy!!!! Why this blows??? I have had a head cold for 1 day now and can't breath or smell ANYTHING!!!! LOL!!!! I never get sick....I can't believe the timing here ...DANG!!!!! Ok...so here sits all this snuff and all I can do is admire it.

I did get a free big sample of Molens Bon Bon....anybody try that one???

YEH!! Getting snuff packages is so much fun! Sorry about the cold that does stink.
Yes the BonBon is wonderful stuff, has a scent of Rose to me, I love it!
Yepster that appears to be a Vizsla in your avatar picture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread