Snus recommendations for flavor and nic sought

Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed an order over the weekend but it won't get here til Monday. Skruf Cranberry Portion, Roda Lacket White Portion,Ettan White Portion, Goteborgs No. 2 White Portion and Discreet Mixed Sampler. I've only tried General white portion (I hate it) and Camel SNUS mellow which I really like. 7-11 has the Camel 12 count for $2.70 which isn't bad but I'm excited to finally try some Swedish stuff.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
I placed an order over the weekend but it won't get here til Monday. Skruf Cranberry Portion, Roda Lacket White Portion,Ettan White Portion, Goteborgs No. 2 White Portion and Discreet Mixed Sampler. I've only tried General white portion (I hate it) and Camel SNUS mellow which I really like. 7-11 has the Camel 12 count for $2.70 which isn't bad but I'm excited to finally try some Swedish stuff.
Turbo...I am finding out that the Swedish snus is an aquired taste. If you enjoy the Camel,you may enjoy the Discreet as well....The Swedish stuff has yet to grow on me...Good luck though...hope one or two are winners at least!:)The Wiz!

I can tell you I am seriously excited to try it but not so thrilled it coming ups.
I hope it is packed VERY well and not had the bejesus beaten out of it.

Ups has cost the company I work for a BUTTLOAD of money in destroyed and damaged merchandise.
In the last 3 years where I have been they have cost us near 250 grand in stuff we had to claim and or send back.

Giantfan

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Wow. Have you guys tried los snus before? It's fantastic. Maybe not as an everyday during the day thing to use, but it's great for sitting back and enjoying.

As for tobacco bits in the teeth, just go ahead and rinse your mouth with some water, and you're all right. I have used quite a bit of los snus, and to be honest, it is more gentle on my gums and teeth than the portions.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Yep, tried it. Never again.

Glad you get on with it, however. It's much safer than cigarettes, even if it makes a mudmouth.

Wiz is 100% correct IMO about Swedish snus being an acquired taste. On snus forums, lots of Bubba's with hairy shoulders brag about their snus feats, as if Claq Qui tasted like filet mignon. It does not. All of them are salty and bitter -- but you get used to it; indeed, you ignore the taste after awhile.

Americans like sweet and salty, not sour and bitter, as a rule. So that's why the new snus brands are hitting some snusers as "too sweet". Marketers are not aiming them at Bubba's, however. Geeks going off cigarettes are the new market. And they will likely prefer neat and sweet.

Last edited:

isande

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wiz is 100% correct IMO about Swedish snus being an acquired taste. On snus forums, lots of Bubba's with hairy shoulders brag about their snus feats, as if Claq Qui tasted like filet mignon. It does not. All of them are salty and bitter -- but you get used to it; indeed, you ignore the taste after awhile.

You know, it's interesting.. the only snus I've encountered that struck me as bitter in the slightest were Gotland & Jakobsson's. I do agree that all are at least a little bit salty, though.

Claq Qui was among the first Swedish snus I tried and was an instant favorite. To me, it tastes like figs or perhaps dried apricots. Before that, I had started out with the recommended "noob snus" -- Discreet, Camel, General Mini Mint. All were excessively sweet for my tastes, and the Camel nauseatingly so. It was like having a mouthful of maple syrup.

FWIW, my name is Peggy (not Bubba) and I think my husband would faint if any hair sprouted from my shoulders... ;)

In any case, my advice is to sample a wide variety of snus and let your own tastes be the guide. My recommendations are based on what I like best, while Tropical Bob's are based on what he likes best. Clearly we have very different tastes.

--K

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
If you have your shipment notice you will see that it takes a grand road tour of PA.
My order has hit 4 different Pa sort locations.

Dirt I will let you know how I like the Claq, it scares me a bit.

Man I hope it doesn't take a tour of PA. I want that shipment here, now, so I can jump back into this thread with some input.

From what ya'll are relating w/ regards to taste, I'm getting antsy as well. I'm accustomed now, didn't really take long, to the Camel Mellow, but it does remain too sweet for my tastes. So perhaps I'll get some filet mignon in my PA tour package!!

Gotta go shave my shoulders now, later...

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason I'm getting antsy has to do with the nic satisfaction I seem to be getting. Normal week day I go through 2 to 2.5 ml a juice, weekends I'll hit close to 4ml a day easy. Since Sunday, it appears that my juice usage has almost dropped in half. I certainly haven't been chain vaping like I normally do!

Last edited:

raven9mm

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2009
IL
Yep, tried it. Never again.

Glad you get on with it, however. It's much safer than cigarettes, even if it makes a mudmouth.

Americans like sweet and salty, not sour and bitter, as a rule. So that's why the new snus brands are hitting some snusers as "too sweet". Marketers are not aiming them at Bubba's, however. Geeks going off cigarettes are the new market. And they will likely prefer neat and sweet.

Hey Bob! Congrats on your 5000th post!:w00t:

Sorry for the the hijack, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Well, my order from getsnus was waiting for me yesterday when I got home. Didn't take a grand tour of PA at all. Product and shipping prices, delivery time, are all impressive.

But oh my was I disappointed.

I certainly didn't get anything that could be considered filet mignon for my pallet! All General brand, Ekstra Sterk, Sterk, Original and Original Wintergreen. I see now that my biggest mistake was getting all the same brand in that the overall flavor, with the exception of the Wintergreen, was the same. Primarily too salty. I enjoy Earl Grey teas, the birgomot in the snus was evident but the salt content was a deal breaker no doubt.

Started w/ the ES and did ya get the plate number of that truck? 15 minutes and my forehead was hot and my stomach hurt. All aspects of the flavor were overpowering. Waited about an hour and tried the Orignal. Same flavor but muted. Kind of intriuging actually but the salt was again WAY too much for me. 'Nuther hour or so and I tried the Wintergreen. The mint flavor burned hard for perhaps the first 5 minutes but again, the salt content quashed the whole deal.

Soooo, I'm not done by any means. In comparison to the General products I'm finding I actually like the Camel snus. Initially thought they were too sweet, not so much now. Pricey though, and of cource I hate the thought of supporting RJR!

I'm planning on putting in another order today. Discreet, Qlac Qui and the Goteborgs Rape. Based on my reactions to the taste of the General products does anyone have any thoughts before I order?

isande

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
General brand tends to be especially salty, that's for sure. But the Wintergreen is definitely among the least salty Swedish snus I've tried, and I've tried a lot.

Keep in mind that your palate should adjust to the salt over time and you'll simply stop noticing it so much. This usually takes a week or two, though, and I'm not sure everyone adjusts smoothly.

Discreet is a great choice, especially for making the transition from Camel to Swedish. It has a touch of salt and it's somewhat sweet. I would say it's right between the Camel and the Swedish stuff, tastewise.

I find that Claq Qui and Goteborgs Rape are less salty than most of the General portions but more so than General Wintergreen.

Make sure you hang onto the ones you don't like now -- you may very well find that you like them in a few weeks once you've adjusted to the salt!

Another one to consider - Probe Whiskey. While it is a little salty, it's also quite sweet and very approachable.

--K

isande

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Thanks for that isande.

Aside from the salt content, is there a marked difference in the overall flavor of the Claq qui, Rape and the General products? The General flavor seemed to be predominantly STRONG tobacco, with the bergamot next, followed by a slight citrus hint.

Yes, there is definitely a pretty big difference. Claq Qui is pretty tobaccoy but also very fruity (at least to my taste buds). It's a bit sweet but you may not be able to tell until you become accustomed to the salt.

Goteborgs Rape is more herbal and juniper-y, without much tobacco flavor.

--K

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Yes, there is definitely a pretty big difference. Claq Qui is pretty tobaccoy but also very fruity (at least to my taste buds). It's a bit sweet but you may not be able to tell until you become accustomed to the salt.

Goteborgs Rape is more herbal and juniper-y, without much tobacco flavor.

--K

Alrighty. RJR will get a few more dollars from me till the next order arrives. Last thing on this for now then.

Long term storage? Freezer or fridge?

Time for a fresh cup of coffee, and some chocolate 36mg. Tried and true this stuff is!

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
USPS dredbull. Ordered Sunday, PO received it Monday evening and I got it in Oregon yesterday. Seems as though a lot of folks have issues w/ UPS shipping.

What I seem to have gathered looking through the getsnus forum was something to the effect of orders over $20 went UPS... from there UPS took the "Grand Tour"

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
As to the salt in snus, and trust me on this, things gets a whole lot better. Nearly everyone says the same thing you did about the salt when they first get into the swedish snus.

After a week or so the salt fads into the background and you'll start to notice the other flavors. What you tasted on your first day is not what you're going to taste a few weeks from now. It's the sweet flavored snus I have trouble with now. They're all right as an occasional desert snus, but they're not my mainstay.

I tend to like the pure tobacco flavors over the bergamot, though I do those also. Ettan is a good mild pure tobacco flavored snus. Grovsnus is also good, though a bit more salt and pepper to it. Odens classic is another. Can't help you with the strong snus because I do nothing stronger then the standard 8 mg portions.

Don't let your first impressions throw you to far off.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
It's not throwing me off the trail stubby. I've another order in as of an hour or so ago. Little more variation in brands this time. :)

Really seems as though this could be a good addition to vaping. Using primarily the Camel Snus this week and it's holding my juice usage at a bit over 1ml a day compared to the usual 2ml or more. Added plus to finding a snus that I like is the variety and when I do vape it's more of a pleasure than a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread