So, any way for consumers to easily/affordably test juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Every day I'm learning of a new ingredient used in flavorings that is potentially harmful for you. If it's not diacetyl, it's that vanilla flavoring, if it's not that, it's some other thing.

So my question is, how do we find out? Obviously there are labs that can test for this stuff, but is it affordable? Is there any way for me, the consumer, to take a bottle of juice and find out if it has diacetyl/other known harmful ingredients?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I'm curious, and among other things, a specific juice I have/enjoy VERY frequently was recently called into question at a vape shop. The owner of the vape shop, who also makes his own juice, dripped a drop on his palm, licked it and -- based on the taste -- decided that it had some kind of "vanilla nitrite" or some random chemical in it. I'd like to hope that he was talking out of his ..., but there's no way for me to know for sure (as far as I know).

If there is no method of easily getting juice tested, someone should create "DIY test kits", like they do for drugs, so that you can be assured that your flavorings/your favorite juice isn't chock fulla diacetyl or some .....

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I know some people do send their flavorings to a lab I just don't know the how's of it.

Yeah, and I've seen some juice companies send their own juice to labs (just as a "HERE'S PROOF!" kind of thing), and I really appreciate that a lot. But they usually only test for the thing they're being accused of, there should be a sort of broad-analysis thing that can be done to test for a variety of flavoring chemicals. I imagine there's a way to do it, I just don't know how expensive it'd be, or if it's available at the consumer level (or just for manufacturers).

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I just DIY and buy flavorings from TPA / FA that list everything questionable, and don't vape / DIY anything with those flavorings in them.

You can get used to certain flavors if you goal is to vape as safely as you can ascertain yourself. that includes vaping unflavored sometimes, and/or putting just a drop of flavoring in unflavored to give it a little taste. :)

muranternet

Jul 25, 2014
St Paul, MN, USA
Linda at TFA posted a way to discern the flavors of acetoin and acetyl propionyl by mixing different concentrates into a carrier medium with a known quantity of chemical notes. Since there are effectively 4 custard notes (acetoin, AP, diacetyl and butyric acid) you can learn all of them, though you'd have to search to find a diacetyl-specific concentrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread