Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
USB durability is an issue, but it's not the main reason i don't charge on-board (unless it's dna). We've seen what damage these batteries can do, and I just don't trust the mod manufacturer to 1) properly design the mod with redundant safety features to ensure it charges at a rate the battery can safely handle 2) that it is designed to properly sense the battery type & maximum voltage to stop delivering power properly, and 3) that they use top quality OEM components that won't fail so it will charge properly. I mean, there are mods out there that go for less than a decent charger.

I know, I know - as I type this, it sounds kind of stupid, considering that we all trust mods to discharge the battery at the proper rate without malfunction, huh? o_O

Maybe I need to get myself to the Dicodes thread, or pick up a used Provari.;)
This is also true. I probably should have said “one of the..” another issue with sealed battery mods is the battery is usually LiPo which is the least safe and most powerful chemistry. If the thing goes it’s likely to go with a real bang. There ARE one or two devices that are UL listed though which means they should be safe.

Last edited:

Surfer369

Sep 1, 2018
Wait, I am confused now, are you guys saying that even though the mod can be charged with the usb, it is not a good idea to do so? And always use external battery charge.

I am not worried about charging it externally when I am at home, I am trying to minimize what I carry when I travel out of the country preferable the juice, tank and mod plus extra coils. I don’t want to be carry the battery charger. So based on these criteria I need recommendation. I also am a light occasional vaper, so I don’t need all day battery power. It would be nice but not necessary.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Wait, I am confused now, are you guys saying that even though the mod can be charged with the usb, it is not a good idea to do so? And always use external battery charge.
Generally that is true. How much safer is something of an intangible though.
I am not worried about charging it externally when I am at home, I am trying to minimize what I carry when I travel out of the country preferable the juice, tank and mod plus extra coils. I don’t want to be carry the battery charger. So based on these criteria I need recommendation. I also am a light occasional vaper, so I don’t need all day battery power. It would be nice but not necessary.
If your charger is just too cumbersome it is just too cumbersome. There are ways to minimize microUSB2 wear. One is to use a magnetic cable. It also helps if you use a high quality charging cable. Ideally it will produce less port wear. People DO use in mod charging after all. It does tend to wear out the port and is inherently less safe. How much less safe and whether it justifies lugging an external charger about is something of a value judgement for you to make

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I was reading something and found out about the refillable pod style vape mods. I think this might be the solution I am looking for, thank you all for helping answer my questions.

Off to go ask more stupid question on the pod style forum.
Heh. Those often have all the same issues. They just have smaller batteries. One way or another you’re buying a microUSB2 LiPo device.

There are a few of them that avoid the microUSB2 connector though.

CrazyZ

Moved On
Sep 4, 2018
Bosnia&Herzegovina
  • Deleted by Misty

Surfer369

Sep 1, 2018
And I am back, I was under the impression that somehow the pod style would give me more flavor but I was wrong. It’s more for MTL, vs I am looking for DTL small and great flavor.

Plus I have the aspire pocket x sonthe breeze 2 would be step down in terms of battery and flavor ( well favor might be the same as I like their 0.6ohms coil) as that’s the one I started with.

I am now looking for a setup that is small yet a tank can be added ( that’s the only way I am going to get flavor). Small and discreet enough that I can carry it in my pocket. The only issue I see is the mesh coil tanks that I am looking at will make it big.

If I go small pod style I gain discreetness and pocketability but lose on flavor. If I go mod and tank I loose discreetness and gain favor. Isn’t there a device which can provide all with minimum compromise.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I can understand the concerns with charging batteries through a mod. But I have never had a USB connection or a cable in any of their various shapes and sizes fail on me – with the exception of the ones my cat got a hold of! And I have a boat load of devices that utilize USB….especially Micro USB. Do mod makers source their USB connectors from an inferior supplier than the rest of the tech industry?

@Surfer369 – Nice score on the Armour Pro kit. Great little mod that has received many positive reviews. The Cascade Baby is also a great tank and the GT Core mesh coil is up there with the big boys from Horizontech and Freemax. Enjoy your new purchase.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I can understand the concerns with charging batteries through a mod. But I have never had a USB connection or a cable in any of their various shapes and sizes fail on me – with the exception of the ones my cat got a hold of! And I have a boat load of devices that utilize USB….especially Micro USB. Do mod makers source their USB connectors from an inferior supplier than the rest of the tech industry?

@Surfer369 – Nice score on the Armour Pro kit. Great little mod that has received many positive reviews. The Cascade Baby is also a great tank and the GT Core mesh coil is up there with the big boys from Horizontech and Freemax. Enjoy your new purchase.
My understanding is the issue is very specific to the microUSB2 spec. Regular usb, mini usb, usbC, basically everything but microUSB2, and microUSB3,which is quite rare and based on microUSB2. The issue was it was never designed to be used as a power source and in particular its rated insertion number is a good order of magnitude too low.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
And I am back, I was under the impression that somehow the pod style would give me more flavor but I was wrong. It’s more for MTL, vs I am looking for DTL small and great flavor.

Plus I have the aspire pocket x sonthe breeze 2 would be step down in terms of battery and flavor ( well favor might be the same as I like their 0.6ohms coil) as that’s the one I started with.

I am now looking for a setup that is small yet a tank can be added ( that’s the only way I am going to get flavor). Small and discreet enough that I can carry it in my pocket. The only issue I see is the mesh coil tanks that I am looking at will make it big.

If I go small pod style I gain discreetness and pocketability but lose on flavor. If I go mod and tank I loose discreetness and gain favor. Isn’t there a device which can provide all with minimum compromise.
There are a couple of DL pod systems. The very smallest truely DL capable mod I know of is the target nano

• Useful

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
My understanding is the issue is very specific to the microUSB2 spec. Regular usb, mini usb, usbC, basically everything but microUSB2, and microUSB3,which is quite rare and based on microUSB2. The issue was it was never designed to be used as a power source and in particular its rated insertion number is a good order of magnitude too low.

All USB spec has taken power delivery into its design. Micro USB was the first to adopt Fast or Quick charging for mobile devices which relates to a higher output from the power source.

As for durability, regular USB A (spec 1, 2 or 3) the specs state the connection must meet a min of 1500 cycles of insertion and removal. Mini USB increased this to 5000 cycles. And because Micro USB was adopted by the smartphone market as a standard connection (with the exception of Apple products), it took this even further with a min 10000 cycles. USB Type C, which is slowly becoming the new standard for mobile devices, also has a min 10000 cycles.

Surfer369

Sep 1, 2018

I did not buy any mod yet, I was considering the armour pro. Still searching.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

If you want a discrete pod that can do dl ( which by its nature isn't discrete with the larger cloud produced) there's the new Lost Vape Orion DNA pod system. They offer a 0.5 ohm mtl style pod and a 0.25 ohm dl style pod. It's a bit pricy but likely best of breed for now as a dl pod system.

And yes, you pay more, although the pods seem to be going for about $10 a pack of two, and if you get 2 weeks out of it that's not so terrible. Oh and of course they are designed to be refillable.

And if you do want to go the mesh coil route you really do need a two battery mod. Take a look at the Proton. Well regarded of late.

Surfer369

Sep 1, 2018
If you want a discrete pod that can do dl ( which by its nature isn't discrete with the larger cloud produced) there's the new Lost Vape Orion DNA pod system. They offer a 0.5 ohm mtl style pod and a 0.25 ohm dl style pod. It's a bit pricy but likely best of breed for now as a dl pod system.

And yes, you pay more, although the pods seem to be going for about $10 a pack of two, and if you get 2 weeks out of it that's not so terrible. Oh and of course they are designed to be refillable.

And if you do want to go the mesh coil route you really do need a two battery mod. Take a look at the Proton. Well regarded of late.

That’s expensive at $80, maybe my understanding of flavor is different from others. I don’t want large clouds, but looks like, that’s part of it if one is looking for flavor.

Can’t believe there isn’t anything out there, cheap, DTL, discreet with flavor.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
All USB spec has taken power delivery into its design. Micro USB was the first to adopt Fast or Quick charging for mobile devices which relates to a higher output from the power source.

As for durability, regular USB A (spec 1, 2 or 3) the specs state the connection must meet a min of 1500 cycles of insertion and removal. Mini USB increased this to 5000 cycles. And because Micro USB was adopted by the smartphone market as a standard connection (with the exception of Apple products), it took this even further with a min 10000 cycles. USB Type C, which is slowly becoming the new standard for mobile devices, also has a min 10000 cycles.
Almost. 10000 cycles is what it was SUPPOSED to have. Because of design issues it turns out to be more like that 1500. This is why usbC came out so fast. They needed something that ACTUALLY had 10000 cycles. It was a big scandal in the smart phone news for a while. People had cables die in as little as a few weeks

• Useful

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
USB C was developed as a future proof format to overcome limitations with the USB interface. I have not seen any documentation stating that USB C was developed to overcome design flaws with Micro USB.

Saying that, one of the design goals of Micro USB was to deal with high failure rate of the Mini USB interface. Micro USB was implemented to move any load bearing stress onto the cable oppose to the physical connector (socket). It is much cheaper and user friendly to replace a failed cable than to have your device repaired due to a failed interface. USB C, although different in appearance, shares a similar design and as this becomes more widely used, you will see more and more incidents of failed cables. Apple’s Lightning connection also uses a similar design. Micro USB is by far the most widely used interface so naturally we will hear about more failures.

Mini USB was introduced in 2000. Micro USB 2007. In 2009 the European Commission requested a standardization for smartphone connections – all major manufactures agreed (well most of them…sorta) to standardize the Micro USB. It was not scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread