Suggest a mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I found the vaperesso armour pro kit for $43 on eightvape and it looks fine for the price.

My only concern is when I am traveling out of the country, can I use the usb side of it to stick it into iPhone wall charger and the micro usb end on the device and charge it this way?

If not are there and usb to wall socket adapter I can buy?
Shall we do this again?
The Armour Pro has a great tank, the Cascade Baby, but the mod is meh. As a kit it's not bad, but DO NOT CHARGE YOUR BATTERIES ON MOD EXCEPT OCASSIONALLY.
With the oh so light Folomov A1, there's no excuse to charge on mod. Plus, if you travel abroad, any USB adapter is great. All of my on the road charging needs are met with just this... There are 4 bay, 60W chargers for travel. Do you still use your stock iPhone charger?

51UtmfMEkkL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQ1I2C2/ref=emc_b_5_t

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
USB C was developed as a future proof format to overcome limitations with the USB interface. I have not seen any documentation stating that USB C was developed to overcome design flaws with Micro USB.

Saying that, one of the design goals of Micro USB was to deal with high failure rate of the Mini USB interface. Micro USB was implemented to move any load bearing stress onto the cable oppose to the physical connector (socket). It is much cheaper and user friendly to replace a failed cable than to have your device repaired due to a failed interface. USB C, although different in appearance, shares a similar design and as this becomes more widely used, you will see more and more incidents of failed cables. Apple’s Lightning connection also uses a similar design. Micro USB is by far the most widely used interface so naturally we will hear about more failures.

Mini USB was introduced in 2000. Micro USB 2007. In 2009 the European Commission requested a standardization for smartphone connections – all major manufactures agreed (well most of them…sorta) to standardize the Micro USB. It was not scandal.
I’m not saying it was a design goal. I’m asaying its why it was pushed out early

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Shall we do this again?
I guess so. :) Of course, I haven't tried everything (or even that many mods), but....
Surfer wants:
1. Small mod
2. Single 18650
3. Ability to power mesh coil tanks
4. A safe mod
5. $50 range

Again, Sbody Macro DNA 75:
1. Small- check. Probably the smallest, lightest single 18650 on the market
2. Single 18650- check
3. Ability to power mesh coil tanks- check
4. Safe- Probably, in order: Dicodes, DNA, Yihi. This is a DNA 75 mod
5. $50 range- check- $50.23

You can't find a cheaper DNA mod. You can't find a smaller, lighter DNA mod. Seems to check all the boxes.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I guess so. :) Of course, I haven't tried everything (or even that many mods), but....
Surfer wants:
1. Small mod
2. Single 18650
3. Ability to power mesh coil tanks
4. A safe mod
5. $50 range

Again, Sbody Macro DNA 75:
1. Small- check. Probably the smallest, lightest single 18650 on the market
2. Single 18650- check
3. Ability to power mesh coil tanks- check
4. Safe- Probably, in order: Dicodes, DNA, Yihi. This is a DNA 75 mod
5. $50 range- check- $50.23

You can't find a cheaper DNA mod. You can't find a smaller, lighter DNA mod. Seems to check all the boxes.
And something to push a Fireluke Mesh Pro...
We've been talking from three different threads on the same topic.

Surfer369

Sep 1, 2018
I apologize for any confusing, I am not looking for a device with a 18650 battery.

I have the uwell nanchuku for that.
This will be used more for travel. I can go ahead and start buying mods and kits but I am trying to leverage the expertise from the experts here so I don’t have to waste money on something that I won’t like.

Side note, what is cool vaping vs. hot?
Do lower ohms coils provide more DTL and give more flavor compared to higher ohms coils for MTL.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Difficult for me to recommend anything based on price for I’ve only been exposed to the Canadian market where everything is expensive! I don’t know of any really BAD mods. I think they are all pretty good so it’s just a matter of what fits your needs. Why not surf (no pun) your preferred vape web site, pick a few that you think would work well for you, and ask the forum their opinion. Take note of kits such as the Armour Pro for you do get the added bonus of a tank. And if you decide to explore another tank down the road such as the Freemax Mesh Pro, now you will have multiple tanks for quick and convenient flavour swap. And again, use YouTube reviews to familiarize yourself with your choices. A flashy picture and some marketing blurb can only go so far! And because you are interested in mesh coils such as the Mesh Pro, don’t limit yourself to single battery mods. There are some quite compact dual battery mods out there.

Surfer369

Sep 1, 2018
Difficult for me to recommend anything based on price for I’ve only been exposed to the Canadian market where everything is expensive! I don’t know of any really BAD mods. I think they are all pretty good so it’s just a matter of what fits your needs. Why not surf (no pun) your preferred vape web site, pick a few that you think would work well for you, and ask the forum their opinion. Take note of kits such as the Armour Pro for you do get the added bonus of a tank. And if you decide to explore another tank down the road such as the Freemax Mesh Pro, now you will have multiple tanks for quick and convenient flavour swap. And again, use YouTube reviews to familiarize yourself with your choices. A flashy picture and some marketing blurb can only go so far! And because you are interested in mesh coils such as the Mesh Pro, don’t limit yourself to single battery mods. There are some quite compact dual battery mods out there.

I really appreciate all the opinions and recommendations provided by all of you. But there are so many devices out there that it’s overwhelming. Also I have found a site which carries everything which makes it even harder Incase I miss something. So I thought a good starting point will be to ask you guys the research those models and come back and ask specif questions.

Although there have been recommendations I am not sure I have gotten what I am looking for. This is not to say that you guys have not provided that info but maybe I am being picky.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I own the Armour Pro. The door is flimsy and the board is inaccurate. Maybe for a starter mod is good, but I won't recommend it. And it's not my first Vaporesso mods. The atty is great, the mod is not. But, to each his own!

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sounds like the problem is single battery mod and mesh pro are incompatible because the thing wants too much power, yes?
Power hogs. Newbies need to understand that anything mesh needs 60+ W to work. A single battery might push it, but even a brown LG will burn up in a few minutes. And it doesn't matter if 1, 2 or 3 mesh coils, they're power hogs!
But people want something light and compact. We had a hard time talking the OP out of an internal battery. Again, I've made my point and put some viable options. But most people have their minds already made up.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I apologize for any confusing, I am not looking for a device with a 18650 battery.

I have the uwell nanchuku for that.
This will be used more for travel. I can go ahead and start buying mods and kits but I am trying to leverage the expertise from the experts here so I don’t have to waste money on something that I won’t like.

Do lower ohms coils provide more DTL and give more flavor compared to higher ohms coils for MTL.
Two different sized batteries will be a hassle. DON'T CHARGE ON MOD. Most chargers won't support the 2x700 batteries. You're starting out, you don't know yet what your sweet spot power wise will be. Wait until the Nunchaku arrives and test drive it before buying anything else. You'll be stuck with an underpowered mod that won't last that much more longer.

Surfer369

Sep 1, 2018
Two different sized batteries will be a hassle. DON'T CHARGE ON MOD. Most chargers won't support the 2x700 batteries. You're starting out, you don't know yet what your sweet spot power wise will be. Wait until the Nunchaku arrives and test drive it before buying anything else. You'll be stuck with an underpowered mod that won't last that much more longer.

You are right, I got my uwell, but my batterie orders from imr is not here. I should wait like you suggested. I am getting impatient and wanted to just buy another device.

I will hold off buying anything for now. But have been looking at the innokin zenith and coolfire.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Cool vaping vs hot vaping is exactly what it sounds like it would be. There are vaping categories for cool vs hot, although the differences are rather loosely defined:

-- People who prefer a cooler vape ("Tootle Puffers") generally are low wattage, higher ohm, mouth-to-lung vapers. They are not particulary interested in the volume of vapor their setups create. Ok what's a tootle puffer? | E-Cigarette Forum

-- People who prefer a warmer or hot vape (? name) generally are high wattage, lower ohm, direct lung vapers. They tend to be cloud chasers. Are you a tootle puffer, mod whomper, sub ohmer, or max watter ...

-- Those in the middle are called "Mod Whompers", I think. :unsure: The Womper Woom OR You Might Be A Modwomper | E-Cigarette Forum

I guess I fit into the Mod Whompers category. Although I prefer a cooler vape, I use sub-ohm coils at a moderate wattage setting (0.5ohm at 30 watts) and like a direct lung type of draw.

Tanks and other juice delivery devices are generally classified as either MTL or DTL devices, depending upon type of intake draw they use. MTL devices tend to have a more restrictive draw similar to a cigarette, use higher ohm coils, and lower wattage settings. DTL devices tend to have a looser open draw, use lower ohm coils, and use higher wattage settings.

A clue to which type of juice attachment it is would be the resistance of the coil used. Coils that are 1.0 ohm or higher are usually for MTL, low wattage vapers who prefer a cooler vape and aren't particular concerned about the vapor production. Coils which are sub-ohm (< 1.0 ohm) are usually for DTL and higher wattage vapors, who prefer a warmer vape and lots of vapor production.​

Flavor production can be achieved with any of the above, but ultimately depends upon a whole host of factors including type of coil, type of juice delivery device, e-liquid used, air flow adjustments, wattage adjustments, wick material used, etc.

Last edited:

Surfer369

Sep 1, 2018
Cool vaping vs hot vaping is exactly what it sounds like it would be. There are vaping categories for cool vs hot, although the differences are rather loosely defined:

-- People who prefer a cooler vape ("Tootle Puffers") generally are low wattage, higher ohm, mouth-to-lung vapers. They are not particulary interested in the volume of vapor their setups create. Ok what's a tootle puffer? | E-Cigarette Forum

-- People who prefer a warmer or hot vape (? name) generally are high wattage, lower ohm, direct lung vapers. They tend to be cloud chasers. Are you a tootle puffer, mod whomper, sub ohmer, or max watter ...

-- Those in the middle are called "Mod Whompers", I think. :unsure: The Womper Woom OR You Might Be A Modwomper | E-Cigarette Forum

I guess I fit into the Mod Whompers category. Although I prefer a cooler vape, I use sub-ohm coils at a moderate wattage setting (0.5ohm at 30 watts) and like a direct lung type of draw.

Tanks and other juice delivery devices are generally classified as either MTL or DTL devices, depending upon type of intake draw they use. MTL devices tend to have a more restrictive draw similar to a cigarette, use higher ohm coils, and lower wattage settings. DTL devices tend to have a looser open draw, use lower ohm coils, and use higher wattage settings.

A clue to which type of juice attachment it is would be the resistance of the coil used. Coils that are 1.0 ohm or higher are usually for MTL, low wattage vapers who prefer a cooler vape and aren't particular concerned about the vapor production. Coils which are sub-ohm (< 1.0 ohm) are usually for DTL and higher wattage vapors, who prefer a warmer vape and lots of vapor production.​

Flavor production can be achieved with any of the above, but ultimately depends upon a whole host of factors including type of coil, type of juice delivery device, e-liquid used, air flow adjustments, wattage adjustments, wick material used, etc.

My experience in vaping is limited to juts one device so I have to find what kind of vaping I like.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
My experience in vaping is limited to juts one device so I have to find what kind of vaping I like.

I LOVED smoking for 50+ years...I MTL'd my analogs...so when I switched to vaping I (automatically) started with MTL...

I, occasionally, will try DL sub-ohm vaping...to see what I might be "missing"...but the rapid battery depletion, greatly increased ejuice consumption and clouds that make it difficult for me and my GF to watch TV...usually has me quickly returning to one of my MTL set-ups...

:2c:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with you.

Most new vapers, especially if they are/were smokers, usually do best initially with a mouth to lung tank because the draw technique is similar to that of a cigarette.

However, I've read of some newer vapers who couldn't get a satisfactory vape until they used a direct lung tank.

Preferred wattage settings are all over the board, regardless of whether they are new or experienced vapers. How many watts do you vape at? (2018)

Surfer369

Sep 1, 2018
Ok, so I finally was able to try the uwell nanchuku that Susaz recommended and wow, what a difference from my aspire pockex to the uwell. I can actually taste flavors now. I started at 50 watts and had the airflow open. I also tried at 60 watts but could taste a little cotton.

I am only wondering what else can top this. I need to find my ideal watts and airflow. How should I go about it. Any suggestions?

Susaz, thank you so much for this great recommendation.

• Winner

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I agree that mesh coils are power hogs but they don't all need 60+ watts. I regularly use a geekvape Aero tank with their mesh coils around 38 to 40 watts.

I also use a Themis with mesh in it around the same or a little higher.

A single battery mod even at that level will run down quickly though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread