Status
Not open for further replies.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
It's no trouble at all and regardless of time, I actually enjoy soldering so if you want, my offer still stands. Heck, if you want, I can only solder the wires to the board which is usually the trickiest and you can then safely try soldering the wires to the buttons and connectors. There is no chance for you to burn something on the buttons or connectors so you could play away without worrying.

It's like you prefer.

I could also lend you my mod but as I reported on another thread, today wasn't a good day... I accidentally threw my mod 9 feet across a room, hit a metal table leg and it had still enough energy stored to rebounce twice on the ground. Board is fine but my screen has now a few garbled vertical lines... And I can't even blame Evolv lol. Man, some accidents are unbelievable and if it didn't happen to me, I wouldn't believe it.

The display works but I can't assure you all resistance digits are well readable. There is a funny matrix on the major digit :/

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
I don't think you "should" explain that accident but if you want to I'm ready for a good fit of giggles. :)

Duane

Reactions: dwcraig1

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I don't think you "should" explain that accident but if you want to I'm ready for a good fit of giggles. :)

Duane
Oh well...

I was explaining to a trainee where he should read the serial number on a ceiling projector (we have around 22) because I needed a survey on which needed replacement.

Anyway, he got somehow mixed up and didn't understand so I was telling him that the labels where on the top of the projector and he was saying "where? where? Where?" so I said "HERE" and pointed to the ceiling... The mod slipped out of my hand and the rest you know... I looked like John Travolta on the dance floor in Saturday night fever lol.

Regards
Tony

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Oh well...

I was explaining to a trainee where he should read the serial number on a ceiling projector (we have around 22) because I needed a survey on which needed replacement.

Anyway, he got somehow mixed up and didn't understand so I was telling him that the labels where on the top of the projector and he was saying "where? where? Where?" so I said "HERE" and pointed to the ceiling... The mod slipped out of my hand and the rest you know... I looked like John Travolta on the dance floor in Saturday night fever lol.

Regards
Tony

Tony

OUCH !...but it's like watching the guy slip on the ice....impossible not to laugh ....I can envision me doing that dance and it'd definitely be funny.

Duane

Reactions: tchavei

vapealone

Jun 16, 2015
@vapealone that's awesome, thanks. I hope you will stick around and continue to discuss this with me/us :) That spreadsheet is excellent.

Effects on TCR of twisting Ni200/Kanthal

Tell me, have you done any studies on the effect on TC of twisting wire? Like whether the TCR varies when wire is twisted versus straight? ......

Your spreadsheet indicates varying temperature adjustments needed for the Claptons, what I don't yet follow is how this is calculated? With a Kanthal/Ni200 twisted coil, the electricity should always follow the Ni200 because it is the path of least resistance. But your chart shows very different temperature response depending on how much Kanthal v Ni200 is used. I don't think it can be based on the resistance of the Kanthal - because the electricity should follow only the Ni200 - so maybe it's based on the effect on heat distribution across the coil?

But I still don't quite understand - because the Ni200's resistance rise is directly related to its temperature rise. If the Ni200 heats up to X°C, its resistance should rise to YΩ. So why is this different when there is 'slave' Kanthal in there? Even if the extra weight of Kanthal metal causes the Ni200 to cool down, that should simply result in the Ni200's resistanec not rising as much - and the temperature measuring should still be accurate?

TLDR: What are you thoughts on why your graph showing Pure Ni200 versus Clapton Hybrid shows the Claptons having lower temperature:resistance response than the pure? Why is it not the same TCR as for pure Ni200? I did not think it could be based on the resistance of the Kanthal, so maybe it is based on the twisting of the Ni200 affecting something?

As I stated in that post my numbers are purely calculated, and real life numbers could be different.
The calculations simply based on the idea that we have got a parallel resistor setup. R1 is the core(slave), R2 is the wrapping(master)
Using resistance (or factor) values from a material datasheet (or from TCR formula if no data available) in the
0f67a9d6ad548b23212a3161ebabcf51.png
formula yields the results.
And this is why e.g. a 26/34 setting is losing its temperature sensitivity badly. In this case, the Kanthal resistance is constant 0.0113 and the Ni resistance will start from 0.0056
Means, around 200C R(A1)~=R(Ni)
And above 200C R(Ni)>R(A1)
and the slave becomes the master

poster_cheguevara_big.jpg

In other word:
The bigger the difference between the resistances the closer the total resistance value gets to the lower resistance value
And
The smaller the difference between the resistances the closer the total resistance value gets to the half of either the initial resistance values

And it is hyperbolic. Even if the change is linear (e.g. linear TCR). The curve will go dead flat horizontal.

In terms of twisted: It is not really my thing. Tried both A1/A1 and A1/Ni but didn't float my boat. In terms of vapor, I can't really tell the difference. That's why I didn't go any deeper on it.

Alloy 120

I made some enquiries for Alloy 120 today. I got a quote of $50 from Resistance Wire, but he didn't mention how much shipping to the UK would be. I assume terribly expensive! :(

Can you tell me how much yours was (I take it you are in Germany or somewhere else in Europe?)
It was US$60 (I think) to Australia. But it was pretty damned quick on the other side:) Two days or something:)
BTW if you got any idea how to send it, I can easily spare some of each gauges :)
60Ka3LV.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBloke

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Stainless steel? Meh.. SS is on the far end of being barely usable for TC, Titanium or something more suitable for TC would have made me excited, but SS, not so much.
Ok, there is a RBA base to use other wires, but is it just me or does it look very finicky with those tiny screws?

agreed but it opens up the possibility of using these coils for 'traditional' use or for TC I guess...
I agree the RBA deck looks a little interesting...

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
As I stated in that post my numbers are purely calculated, and real life numbers could be different.
The calculations simply based on the idea that we have got a parallel resistor setup. R1 is the core(slave), R2 is the wrapping(master)
Using resistance (or factor) values from a material datasheet (or from TCR formula if no data available) in the
0f67a9d6ad548b23212a3161ebabcf51.png
formula yields the results.
And this is why e.g. a 26/34 setting is losing its temperature sensitivity badly. In this case, the Kanthal resistance is constant 0.0113 and the Ni resistance will start from 0.0056
Means, around 200C R(A1)~=R(Ni)
And above 200C R(Ni)>R(A1)
and the slave becomes the master

poster_cheguevara_big.jpg

In other word:
The bigger the difference between the resistances the closer the total resistance value gets to the lower resistance value
And
The smaller the difference between the resistances the closer the total resistance value gets to the half of either the initial resistance values

And it is hyperbolic. Even if the change is linear (e.g. linear TCR). The curve will go dead flat horizontal.

In terms of twisted: It is not really my thing. Tried both A1/A1 and A1/Ni but didn't float my boat. In terms of vapor, I can't really tell the difference. That's why I didn't go any deeper on it.

It was US$60 (I think) to Australia. But it was pretty damned quick on the other side:) Two days or something:)
BTW if you got any idea how to send it, I can easily spare some of each gauges :)
60Ka3LV.jpg

now that is a lot or wire!!!

Reactions: vapealone

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Tony, so sorry to hear about your.. incident. I am trying not to laugh at the circumstances :)

Thanks again for your kind offer of help. But I've found a much simpler and quicker solution. I just bought a HCigar HB40 version 3, which has the authentic DNA 40 with the atty-lock feature and C/F temps, so it's one of the later revisions (of the small screen board.)

It was £45 Buy it Now on eBay, or only £5 more than the DNA 40 chip on its own! There were others starting at £60 for an auction, so this was a super bargain. Fingers crossed it's actually working and not a fake :) But I'm not aware of any HCigar HB40 clones and the seller specifically said it was genuine and in good condition, and he has 100% feedback selling other vaping stuff so hopefully it's all legit.

So I shall do some authentic DNA 40 testing as soon as I can. And hopefully before that post some results from my the temp testing I've been doing the last couple of days, but first I still need to do more tests to confirm and understand my first (interesting) results.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwcraig1

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Tony, so sorry to hear about your.. incident. I am trying not to laugh at the circumstances :)

Thanks again for your kind offer of help. But I've found a much simpler and quicker solution. I just bought a HCigar HB40 version 3, which has the authentic DNA 40 with the atty-lock feature and C/F temps, so it's one of the later revisions (of the small screen version.)

It was £45 Buy it Now on eBay, or only £5 more than the DNA 40 chip on its own! There were others starting at £60 for an auction, so this was a super bargain. Fingers crossed it's actually working and not a fake :) But I'm not aware of any HCigar HB40 clones and the seller specifically said it was genuine and in good condition, and he has 100% feedback so hopefully it's all legit.

So I shall do some authentic DNA 40 testing as soon as I can. And hopefully before that post some results from my the temp testing I've been doing the last couple of days, but first I still need to do more tests to confirm and understand my first (interesting) results.
Very interested to see your results.
This thread is possibly the most interesting and useful on ECF (well of course together with the Ti/Safety thread).:)

Duane

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
For anyone who cares (and why would you really) looks like my 2380 MIGHT ship tomorrow...Ive forgotten why I wanted one almost...lol!

...so this is where everyone chips in telling me what a great device it is and worth the wait and I wont regret it...etc etc..:)

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
For anyone who cares (and why would you really) looks like my 2380 MIGHT ship tomorrow...Ive forgotten why I wanted one almost...lol!

...so this is where everyone chips in telling me what a great device it is and worth the wait and I wont regret it...etc etc..:)
It works well with temperature control and it's pretty much the only solution for people like me who hate box mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread