Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I am guessing (literally) if you want to go the Hybrid NET route @Str8vision described, you should consider the tobacco you would use. Caked Virginias and Black Cavendish would be sweeter, Dark Burley could add a nutty, earthy taste, while Perique would be a bit of spice. Fire Cured would add some 'pop' to the flavor.
Maybe late today I will look up some YouTube videos from tobacco vendors ....

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
........I haven't tried freeze filtering the Cold Macerated PG Extracts yet, but I know from the PGA/VG Extracts that @Str8vision method does seem to clog up coffee filters as you go along.

One of the worst I encountered was freeze filtering extract made from The Smoker "St. James", a blend that is no longer made (the creator died);

PG sludge 3.jpg

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Aromatic tobacco isn't really required if you want a "flavored" NET. You can add one or more concentrated flavorings and make a "hybrid NET". Hybrids have a more stable shelf life than NETs made from aromatic tobacco. Sutliff's "Molto Dolce" makes a very tasty NET but the flavor isn't stable over time. My favorite hybrid NET is VCT (Vanilla Caramel Tobacco). There are several great chocolate flavorings available but the two I like are Inawera chocolate (tastes like a tootsie roll) mixed with TFA Double chocolate clear (tastes like chocolate frosting). I don't like either by themselves but mixed together they suit me.
Well, I think I might be the King of "hybrid NETs". At least from the standpoint of trying different stuff. The reason I tried extracting chocolate pipe tobacco was because I could not find a chocolate flavoring I liked. That included Inawera and DCC (I tried them all). I was hoping the tobacco makers had a secret the flavoring makers did not. Welp, it hasn't panned out. Chocolate flavoring either tastes soapy, tootsie roll, or too dark (bitter). I even paid $20 for Medicine Flower...I was that desperate. Nope! Same as the others.

Reactions: Str8vision

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Actually, a few of the Milk Chocolates were OK but they were so weak it wasn't even worth messing with...no matter how concentrated.

Bronze, one of the earlier DIY'ers, Bill of Bill's Magic Vapors, used to preach "You have to have Vanilla to make Chocolate". Don't know about that, but a lot of his recipes had a two-to-one ratio chocolate to vanilla.
Here's a link to his Blogs ; Bill's Magic Vapor's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Maybe a Chocolate Vanilla mix, or adding chocolate to a Vanilla Tobacco (Sutliff Vanilla Custard ?) could get you a little closer to what you are searching for.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Bronze, one of the earlier DIY'ers, Bill of Bill's Magic Vapors, used to preach "You have to have Vanilla to make Chocolate". Don't know about that, but a lot of his recipes had a two-to-one ratio chocolate to vanilla.
Here's a link to his Blogs ; Bill's Magic Vapor's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Maybe a Chocolate Vanilla mix, or adding chocolate to a Vanilla Tobacco (Sutliff Vanilla Custard ?) could get you a little closer to what you are searching for.
Been down that road too Pop. :(

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I watched some video about chocolate flavoring. A panel of four people who select a flavor of the week (maybe it was month) and try them all and report their findings. All four came to the same conclusion: There are no real good chocolate flavorings. I had to go thru all the experimenting to come to the same conclusion.

• Agree
Reactions: FranC

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Actually, a few of the Milk Chocolates were OK but they were so weak it wasn't even worth messing with...no matter how concentrated.

Chocolate, cherry, vanilla.... there are flavors that are difficult to adequately replicate, to suit my taste anyway. I'm still not happy with vanilla and I've tried dozens. Some are just ok but not stellar. I want outstanding! That's what sold me on NETs, the synthetics just didn't do it for me.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Yup, looked nasty but the results were outstanding. The Smoker's St James yielded my all time favorite NET, figures it would disappear before I could stockpile a quantity.

Decatur Black Cherry was my favorite, but now it's only available in "Mix It Yourself" kits.
I guess if it is good enough, it has to be discontinued.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Chocolate, cherry, vanilla.... there are flavors that are difficult to adequately replicate, to suit my taste anyway. I'm still not happy with vanilla and I've tried dozens. Some are just ok but not stellar. I want outstanding! That's what sold me on NETs, the synthetics just didn't do it for me.
Based on your experience I just mixed Chocolate INW with Double Choco Clear. I think I went 2:1 (INW/DCC) at 11ish% total. I'll give it a taste in a week or so. I've tried lots of combinations but I'm sure I missed some. I know the DCC has some oomph to it albeit a little tootsie rollish. Maybe the INW will dilute it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread