ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Russ' Fudge Cake - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (Heated PGA/VG) - Feb 2021
Mixed @ 10% (30/70 w/10mg nicotine) - 3/20/2021

A White Burley and Black Cavendish base makes for a subtle tobacco, almost unnoticeable it is so far in the background. The star of this selection is the Chocolate top note, and it does not disappoint. Caught between a Cocoa and a Dark Chocolate, this selection is not overly sweet. The Black Cavendish adds a minimal sweetness, while the Burley keeps it grounded as a mild tobacco flavor. But these are just role players - the Chocolate is front and foremost. It is a true chocolate flavor that leaves one licking their teeth and lips to get that last little taste of it. This is not a sweet confectioner's chocolate taste but more like a Hershey's Dark Chocolate with Almonds flavor.
Anyone interested in a mild chocolate tobacco should at least give this one a try.
I've been vaping on this one for the last couple of days. Truthfully, I did not care for it at first but it has grown on me. I differ a little from Pop in my perception. I find the black cavendish to be the most prominent flavor with the fudge making a sizeable impact. It does not taste like fudge but does not taste like black cavendish either but you know both are present. If you took either one out the flavor would be dramatically different. I get more of the fudge on the inhale and more of the cavendish on the exhale. And it's the cavendish that lingers in your mouth and I think that's why I feel this is the prominent flavor. Not sure what the white burley is doing. Perhaps it acts to temper the bitterness but it certainly isn't a note that can be detected. To vape just a ml or two would not do this one justice. It takes several mls to get your brain around it. I'm doing some DIY using black cavendish because it is an interesting flavor that blends well with other flavors. This one is no exception. I was hoping for a stronger chocolate flavor but found Russ' Fudge Cake to still be an enjoyable vape. So I concur with Pops. This one is worth a spin.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I've been vaping on this one for the last couple of days. Truthfully, I did not care for it at first but it has grown on me. I differ a little from Pop in my perception. I find the black cavendish to be the most prominent flavor with the fudge making a sizeable impact. It does not taste like fudge but does not taste like black cavendish either but you know both are present. If you took either one out the flavor would be dramatically different. I get more of the fudge on the inhale and more of the cavendish on the exhale. And it's the cavendish that lingers in your mouth and I think that's why I feel this is the prominent flavor. Not sure what the white burley is doing. Perhaps it acts to temper the bitterness but it certainly isn't a note that can be detected. To vape just a ml or two would not do this one justice. It takes several mls to get your brain around it. I'm doing some DIY using black cavendish because it is an interesting flavor that blends well with other flavors. This one is no exception. I was hoping for a stronger chocolate flavor but found Russ' Fudge Cake to still be an enjoyable vape. So I concur with Pops. This one is worth a spin.

Compliance is NOT a Requirement. :)
Besides, all tastes are different. I do appreciate other opinions as it helps to fill out this Thread.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Compliance is NOT a Requirement. :)
Besides, all tastes are different. I do appreciate other opinions as it helps to fill out this Thread.
I learned long ago people's perceptions differ. I'm not sure it's all in our heads either.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Anniversary Kake
(from Pop's stash)

This is a Perique/Virginia blend. Going in I was wary of this one because I'm just not a big Virginia fan. This one is Perique-heavy and Virginia-light. I can definitely taste the Virginia but it is light. Not overly grassy. I think they added just enough Virginia to smooth out the Perique which is the star of the show. Indeed, this is a medium/mild vape. Excellent tobacco flavor and not dry. I always enjoyed Perique and this is one time the Virginia did not wreck the flavor. It's kinda funny. As I exhale I wait for the Virginia to kill the experience but it never gets there. If you're a Perique fan this one is worth your time. Good, mild flavor!

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Anniversary Kake
    (from Pop's stash)

This is a Perique/Virginia blend. Going in I was wary of this one because I'm just not a big Virginia fan. This one is Perique-heavy and Virginia-light. I can definitely taste the Virginia but it is light. Not overly grassy. I think they added just enough Virginia to smooth out the Perique which is the star of the show. Indeed, this is a medium/mild vape. Excellent tobacco flavor and not dry. I always enjoyed Perique and this is one time the Virginia did not wreck the flavor. It's kinda funny. As I exhale I wait for the Virginia to kill the experience but it never gets there. If you're a Perique fan this one is worth your time. Good, mild flavor!
    Sounds good to me. I have it steeping.

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Anniversary Kake
    (from Pop's stash)

That would be the Heat Extracted version, might be a little stronger than the Cold Macerated.
    Anyways, Home & Hearth claims they ordered red Virginia but got a mix of Virginia tobaccos - from blond to brown. Since the emphasis is not on the blond Virginia it isn't as grassy.
    I personally like the Anniversary Kake over Louisiana Red as the former is a bit milder than the latter.

• Informative
    Reactions: DavidOck

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Hearth & Home Signature Louisiana Red - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) - Winter of 2019
    Mixed (30/70 PG/VG @10mg Nic) - June 2019

After reviewing this thread I realized I have not commented on a favorite of more than one vaper, H&H Louisiana Red. The description at pipesandcigars.com calls this the best selling VaPer (Virginia-Perique) in the Home and Hearth line of tobaccos. Two red Virginias are blended with Arcadian Perique.
    As an extracted e-liquid flavor, it is a medium-bodied vape. The red Virginias are not as sweet and grassy as lighter Virginias, but rather dark and full bodied. They give a hint of sweetness, not much, to the spicy, peppery tang of the Perique. The flavors balance out quite well to give a rich, smooth vape with just a hint of Perique spice left on the tongue. Bolder than Anniversary Kake, it delivers a full flavored vaping experience. This could serve as an All-Day vape for those who enjoy full flavored NET's, or a rich end-of-day vape for those who are put off by sweet, dessert flavors. Either way, it is worth a try.

I went back to this review because I am starting into this same NET - only this time it was extracted using Heated PGA/VG as an extraction solvent.
    Still pretty much the same flavor as before. The two red Virginias add more body than sweetness, and the Perique is spicy and peppery. The flavor started off a little dry in a freshly cleaned and wicked Galaxies, but as the evening progresses it becomes a rich, slightly dark Perique medium bodied vape.
    If memory serves (and at my age it doesn't always) this selection delivers pretty much the same dark and spicy flavored vape regardless of the extraction method.

Last edited:

Fredman1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    I'm also loving Anniversary Kake (down to the last few drops now). The only experience I have with a VaPer blend so far is American Spirit Perique RYO....really enjoy that, but AK is like a serious step up. I can taste the quality in the tobacco used.
    Another VaPer i'm very exited about (just received mine) is
    Tobacco Reviews | Cornell & Diehl - Bayou Morning

@Bronze you might be interested...it's Perique forward ;)

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I'm also loving Anniversary Kake (down to the last few drops now). The only experience I have with a VaPer blend so far is American Spirit Perique RYO....really enjoy that, but AK is like a serious step up. I can taste the quality in the tobacco used.
    Another VaPer i'm very exited about (just received mine) is
    Tobacco Reviews | Cornell & Diehl - Bayou Morning

@Bronze you might be interested...it's Perique forward ;)
    I’ve been hitting on Haunted Bookstore the last couple days. Or Haunted Bookshop whatever it is. From Pop’s stash. I’ll post about it tomorrow but it’s a good comparable with Anniversary Kake.

Reactions: PapawBrett

Fredman1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    I’ve been hitting on Haunted Bookstore the last couple days. Or Haunted Bookshop whatever it is. From Pop’s stash. I’ll post about it tomorrow but it’s a good comparable with Anniversary Kake.
    Yeah that's one that got away from me....my customs confiscated it at the border. Luckily Old Joe Krantz made it through and is soaking. They're both VaBur with a little Perique.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Haunted Bookshop
    Cornell & Diehl

(From Pop's stash)

OK, this one is very similar to Anniversary Kake. Both are a blend of Perique and Virginia but Haunted Bookshop adds some Burley. While similar, they are not the same. Both are identical on the inhale, but the exhale is a bit more subdued with Haunted Bookshop. The Burley adds another buffer to the Perique. Both are still Perique-dominate but is less pronounced in HB. I think the Burley gets swallowed up and serves primarily as a backdrop and to tame the Perique. Overall, I find HB to be milder than Anniversary Kake. If one is interested in a Perique NET, I would advise trying both of these to fine tune your preference.

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Haunted Bookshop
    Cornell & Diehl

(From Pop's stash)

OK, this one is very similar to Anniversary Kake. Both are a blend of Perique and Virginia but Haunted Bookshop adds some Burley. While similar, they are not the same. Both are identical on the inhale, but the exhale is a bit more subdued with Haunted Bookshop. The Burley adds another buffer to the Perique. Both are still Perique-dominate but is less pronounced in HB. I think the Burley gets swallowed up and serves primarily as a backdrop and to tame the Perique. Overall, I find HB to be milder than Anniversary Kake. If one is interested in a Perique NET, I would advise trying both of these to fine tune your preference.

Interesting. I thought it was Burley first (as do many @tobaccoreviews.com) and a Burley lovers delight.
    Again, compliance is not a requirement. But we can at least agree different people will find different nuances in these non-aromatic blends that are out there.
    And don't get me started on Dunhill's Early Morning or Nightcap. I'll politely leave that genre for those who enjoy Latakia blends.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Interesting. I thought it was Burley first (as do many @tobaccoreviews.com) and a Burley lovers delight.
    Again, compliance is not a requirement. But we can at least agree different people will find different nuances in these non-aromatic blends that are out there.
    And don't get me started on Dunhill's Early Morning or Nightcap. I'll politely leave that genre for those who enjoy Latakia blends.
    I think I have sensitivity to Perique is all. It stands out to me. And truthfully, I’m not sure how close combusting tobacco is to vaporizing it. I don’t always find the tobacco reviews are a good comp with what I’m vaping.

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Agree. But as much as I love me some Anniversary Kake, or enjoy some Louisiana Red, I find extracts like Three Friars, Haunted Bookshop and Crooner to be a different flavor. For me (and only me) these are three extracts where the Burley comes out equal to, or centered as, the nuance of the vape.
    Again, all tastes are subjective.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Agree. But as much as I love me some Anniversary Kake, or enjoy some Louisiana Red, I find extracts like Three Friars, Haunted Bookshop and Crooner to be a different flavor. For me (and only me) these are three extracts where the Burley comes out equal to, or centered as, the nuance of the vape.
    Again, all tastes are subjective.
    Maybe if you vaped HB right after AK like I did you might have a different perspective. Or I might had I not done it that way.

Reactions: DavidOck

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Maybe if you vaped HB right after AK like I did you might have a different perspective. Or I might had I not done it that way.

I keep six Reos Grands going at once simply because my taste buds adapt, then I lose the flavor altogether. So I have to do the "Flavor Butterfly" routine.
    I did just switch one Grand/ Galaxies from Three Friars to Louisiana Red. It was like going from roasted cashews to spicy Mexican at first, because the Three Friars still has a nutty taste to me while the Perique in LA Red jumps out at the unsuspecting tongue. But as I adapted, the LA Red settled into a rich, spicy vape.
    I have Decatur Black Cherry (last of the last) and 84 Turkish going in two others, although compared to LA Red the 84 Turkish seems kinda puny.

Reactions: Str8vision

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    I keep six Reos Grands going at once simply because my taste buds adapt, then I lose the flavor altogether. So I have to do the "Flavor Butterfly" routine.

While not a squonker, I have a round dozen mods/rtas going all the time, all different flavors, in varying profile. Yeah, switch off often during the day, never had a flavor burn-out. (Not that I haven't mixed some that will never be mixed again! :rolleyes: )

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread