Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Silly question..maybe not...dunno :cry:
Has anybody done a double extraction? Meaning, tobacco that has been extracted being used to extract again.
Reason i'm asking is I can't get any new tobaccos into my country anymore. What I have now, is all i'll have going forward. As I seperate, I keep the tobacco...just can't get myself to throw it away. I flush it with water, dry it and store it.
I used ethanol/vg mix, so would think it's pretty well extracted.. But, there's still lots of smell left in them.
I faintly remember I read of people on @Str8vision old thread that did that...?
Any chance I could reuse it again in future?

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
.....Any chance I could reuse it again in future?

Since importing tobacco is difficult for you what would be the harm in trying a second extraction on the tobacco you've already used? I personally wouldn't rinse it first (might wash some of the remaining flavor away), Just re-extract it. The results might not be as robust the second time around but perhaps you could adjust by adding a higher percentage of the extract when mixing. Sounds like an interesting experiment to me. :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
My thoughts exactly....Thanks for confirming.
I've actually just rinsed the first two that I seperated. Second time when I noticed how much brown i'm flushing out, it dawned on me i'm being foolish :w00t:. Yeah not a good idea.
Let us know how it turns out.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Let us know how it turns out.
I was planning to keep the the tobacco for a few years as i'm sorted for a long time...kind of a insurance policy :D (that's actually why I rinsed it. I figured the VG might get old and contaminate the tobacco)
But now i'm getting curious to see how well it actually works. I just took Old Joe Krantz out, and I notice I only have one pint of it. I'll re soak that tobacco for a few months again. I'll definitely report...when I get there :thumb:
I think i'll just cover the tobacco with 50/50 PGA/VG.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Readily accessible (and relatively inexpensive) 190 proof PGA, wide variety of tobaccos at my fingertips, I sometimes take for granted how fortunate I am when it comes to making NET.

I just finished extracting 6 Acid Blondie cigars. In solidarity with @Fredman1 think I'll re-use some of the tobacco for a second extraction attempt. 80/20 PGA/VG solvent, 90 day cold soak. It's late summer here with average daily temps in the mid 90s so perhaps not a "cold" soak but a warm one instead. Rather than performing the extraction inside my chilly air conditioned home, I'll use my shop in order to take advantage of the elevated temperature.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
OHM Turkish Yellow - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (Cold Maceration) - Feb 2021
Mixed (30/70 @10mg nicotine) - June 2021

This is a RYO (Roll Your Own) cigarette tobacco blend that is advertised as lighter and sweeter than the OHM Turkish Red. Plenty of "Love the stuff" very short reviews and a few comparisons to Camel Lights at p&c, and only two reviews at tobaccoreviews.com, so I was pretty much in the dark with this one.
Advertised as a Burley, Turkish and Virginia blend. As I start into this I right away pick up on the sweetness of the Virginia and the mild, earthy flavor of the Burley. The Turkish "cigarette" taste begins to pick up as I continue into this selection, but the sweetness of the Virginia is still prominent. Overall this is a mild and sweet blend that has an earthy base from the Burley and Turkish. Too sweet to be a strait up RYO blend, yet to earthy to be a dessert flavor, this does satisfy as a mild and lightly sweet tobacco flavor.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I seem to go through spurts with Nets. I'll use one or two for a while then not use any for a couple of months. I've liked all of yours that I've tried and need to use some more. I've got plenty of bottles fully steeped.

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
    Sep 13, 2016
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    So the October Pipes&Cigars catalogue came in today. Home & Hearth are offering aged pressed cakes ( @$16 for a 1.5 oz tin...), a new line from someone called Cascade Pipe company that seems like mostly Virginia and Burley blends, and Russ Ouellette is hawking a "Snickerdoddle" aromatic.
    Might be time to start a Wish List for this winter's order.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    I would not rinse the tobacco in water. I would cover the used leaf in PG and let it age. The VG gets oxidized and turns sour sooner or later so I would use pure PG or ethanol blend.
    A possible option would be to import the tobacco leaf extractions from Real Tobacco Extracts here in the USA. They make a concentrate that is well priced compared to the ready to use. This might be worth looking into if you can't import tobacco leaf.
    Thanks mate. Yeah I only washed the first two. I now just leave them as is...i'll soak them again later. I have one (re)soaking in Alc/PG...as a trial.
    I do have enough concentrates for a lifetime, but would love to have some more variation. I basically just bought histerically when the new law arrived...now i'm stuck with what I have. Ah well...could've been worse.
    My biggest fear is exactly what you allude to...the PG/VG oxidizing long term. I've bought myself a small fridge, and i'll make space in the wife's freezer to. That's all I can do...going forward :thumb:

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    OK, I have given this some thought, and here it is....
    About ten days ago Mamaw was summoned for Jury Duty at the Federal Court in Charlotte, NC. She was dismissed.
    Her observations were that the Postal Inspectors, the ATF, the DEA and the North Carolina State Police were all present for the Prosecution. Two defendants, one male and one female.
    After careful consideration I have decided no more NET liquid mailings. My apologies to everyone. Hopefully there is enough information in this sub-forum to help anyone who would like to try their own hand at extracting tobacco flavors. Honestly, it's more patience than work.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    About ten days ago Mamaw was summoned for Jury Duty at the Federal Court in Charlotte, NC. She was dismissed.
    Her observations were that the Postal Inspectors, the ATF, the DEA and the North Carolina State Police were all present for the Prosecution. Two defendants, one male and one female.
    After careful consideration I have decided no more NET liquid mailings. My apologies to everyone. Hopefully there is enough information in this sub-forum to help anyone who would like to try their own hand at extracting tobacco flavors. Honestly, it's more patience than work.

I take it that the man and woman were there for mailing some kind of e liquids? Either way, thank you so much for the samples in the past. It is much appreciated. I really enjoyed the ones I got to try.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 22, 2011
    Florida
    I can say that mailing even straight 100mg nicotine without a sale involved is totally legal - in fact it's in the USPS guidelines everyone is allowed to mail 10 packages a month as long as commerce isn't involved but I certainly understand your concern. My guess is your wife saw someone that was mailing illegal drugs as that happens every day in this country.

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2016
    Totally understand this, I do appreciate the samples you sent. This thread has been very informative, so I know I can continue playing around with things on my own.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Perfectly understandable. Thank you for all past NETs.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I can say that mailing even straight 100mg nicotine without a sale involved is totally legal - in fact it's in the USPS guidelines everyone is allowed to mail 10 packages a month as long as commerce isn't involved but I certainly understand your concern. My guess is your wife saw someone that was mailing illegal drugs as that happens every day in this country.

Don't forget though, since you're talking about following rules, it's not just a matter of 10 packages a month. There are more rules than that. The big 2 being...

• each package can be no more than 10oz and
    • has to go via Express with 21+ adult signature, which will cost you about $30-ish per package. BOOM, bend over. Most won't as they won't pay that.
    If you're going to stay legal, you have to follow all the rules (and the above isn't all the rules), not just some of them, otherwise you aren't legal, even if it's consumer to consumer mailings.

If you want to know all the rules in a concise list, see the end of the 1st post in this thread, which also contains a direct link to the DMM.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA

Indeed, time to just dispense advice, all of which has been good.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    Understandings from me to. I'll never forget your generosity...sending me concentrates all the way to NZ. That blew me away, and the flavors I tasted set me on the way of finally starting to make my own.
    Again...Thank you :wub:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread