*THE* (reasonably priced) 5volt 510 PT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2009
worster - crappychusetts
thanks for the review. there i go spending more money...
Orders $15 to $50 Free USPS First Class Mail
Upgrade to Priority Mail Shipping for $3.95
Orders Over $50 Free USPS Priortiy Mail Shipping

got 2 PT (they only have 3 left now), 30ml e-liquid and a disposable 510 kit!!
where can i get some cheap/good RY4? have'nt tried it yet and they're out of it.

JakeStew

Oct 15, 2009
Wow! I got several people demonstrating their ignorance on the subject! Thyestean and nekkidnorman, normally I wouldn't be quite so direct but ripping on someone who actually knows what they're talking about by accusing them of not knowing what they are talking about is particularly funny to me.

I had typed a more informative post, but it got lost for some reason. I should have explained better again.

Voltage is not power. An atty can draw about 1.4 amps at 5V. (according to various calculations I've seen on this site) The USB spec is 500ma. So yes you are trying to draw almost 3X the power these ports are rated for.

I don't share voltaire's optimism that the ports will hold up to this abuse and flagrant violation of the specs. All a MB manufacturer has to provide is 500 ma/port. They probably add another 20% or so as a safety measure. If you draw over the rated amperage and it fries your MB, you're screwed. It's your fault for using a device that blatantly and obviously defies the specification. Nobody is going to feel the least bit sorry for you.

You guys are the ones trying to use some sort of "new math". I'm just trying to point out an obvious flaw in the design and save you from voiding your warranty and frying your motherboard.

There may be SOME safety margin on SOME motherboards, but I highly doubt it's 3X the spec. USB devices are also supposed to inform the computer how much power they are drawing so you don't have this sort of problem. Obviously the manufacturer isn't going to include this since they are already violating the spec.

From what I've seen an unpowered 4 port hub will tell the computer it has 200ma/port. That means most of them can draw a maximum of 800ma through the port they are plugged into. The odds of having 4 devices plugged in that are drawing 200ma each at the same time are pretty slim so I guess that's why they figure they can get away with it. Those hubs also only make 200ma per device available via the software, so they already eliminate the possibility of using any high-power usb devices. Devices that require less than 200ma also probably require significantly less than that since otherwise they'd require a full power port.

Anyhow, this device probably isn't even legal in many circumstances and it certainly exposes you to liability. If your house or business burns down you'll probably be liable for pluggiing in a device you know is designed to violate the USB spec, making it inherently unsafe and uncertifiable for safety purposes.

About the only redeeming feature I can see is that you'll probably be right there when your MB catches fire and you can probably put it out before it does too much damage.

-Jake

River

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
Independence, KY USA
Last edited:

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
Wow! I got several people demonstrating their ignorance on the subject! Thyestean and nekkidnorman, normally I wouldn't be quite so direct but ripping on someone who actually knows what they're talking about by accusing them of not knowing what they are talking about is particularly funny to me.

I had typed a more informative post, but it got lost for some reason. I should have explained better again.

#1 the last line of that gives you one reason for the responses you got.

#2 as you are aware we have been in some of the same threads before and therefore I am aware of your habit of posting about something without having any clue what you are speaking of. Which makes it so anything I see you post would be dismissed as insignificant. ;)

#3 there are a lot of people who use all different 5v PTs without an issue. I personally have used one (not this particular one but a similar one) on not only my pc but also my laptop, my sons laptop, the usb port in my trucks stereo, and 2 different usb hubs. All of which powered it fine and none of which had any issues as a result of use. Therefore you posting that something is a BS product, especially without any explanation of your statement, is just foolish.

Have a nice day ;)

JakeStew

Oct 15, 2009
> I am aware of your habit of posting about something without having any clue what you are speaking of.

I misspoke in one thread where snus and snuff were being discussed. So sue me.

> Therefore you posting that something is a BS product, especially without any explanation of your statement, is just foolish.

I explained why it was a BS product... because it draws almost 3X the amperage those ports are rated for. That's what is foolish.

I'm not sure if you are aware of product liability laws... But if you use a product consistent with it's intended use and it harms you or your property the manufacturer and/or retailer is liable for the damage. They know damn well you can't draw 3X the spec from a power source and not expect it to burn out and/or start a fire. That's plain common sense.

I'm just pointing out to people that this device isn't suitable to plug into a standard USB port. It voids your warranty and has a good chance of burning out your motherboard. It's a poorly designed product that violates the USB specs. It can't meet any safety certification criteria and is probably illegal to use in a lot of areas. At the bare minimum it exposes you to civil or criminal liability for any damage it causes. If you plug it in at work knowing it's not suitable for use in a USB port you'll be liable for your workplace burning down. If someone dies you could even be criminally liable.

Sure you can just claim you didn't know it was a faulty product, but now you do know. Hopefully pointing this out will save someone from being harmed by this product.

-Jake

ccbflo

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think I have the same one, but I'm way to lazy and could care less about what power it take in or puts out. I do know I get the hv burnt taste way more than on stock batts. I use it daily on multiple computers, got mine from Electronic Ash where it's only 13.99. Shipping is flat rate 5 bucks, but over 30 is free. And I found plenty to buy so over 30 was easy:D

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I don't share voltaire's optimism that the ports will hold up to this abuse and flagrant violation of the specs. All a MB manufacturer has to provide is 500 ma/port.

EXACTLY! And it's quite a simple matter for the motherboard manufacturer to limit the power that is allowed to be delivered to a device that is requesting more than it is capable of providing. You may not be aware of this, but there are numerous USB devices that routinely use 1amp and higher - usually devices with moving parts, such as USB powered external hard drives or optical drives, scanners, and printers. And by the nature of those devices, they draw their current for longer periods of time than the few seconds that an ecig does.

USB devices are also supposed to inform the computer how much power they are drawing so you don't have this sort of problem. Obviouslythe manufacturer isn't going to include this since they are already violating the spec.

From what I have already witnessed from this PT, it is "smart" and has available current sensing capability. As I said in the OP, when plugged into an AC-to-USB adapter that could only output 500ma max, the LED blinked repeatedly when the button was depressed and it didn't supply any power at all to the atty. Also, many people in these forums hack apart a USB cord and wire it to a battery connector connected directly to an atty, and even without any intervening safety circuitry the problems are apparently minimal.

But any and all concern (and impending doom) is rendered moot with a $3 (including shipping) USB power adapter rated at 2amps. It's cheap insurance, and it allows you to use the PT from any AC outlet - not just when you're near a computer.

Finally, it's your baseless "BS product" remark that attracted any scorn directed at you - but I think you probably already knew and expected that. That said, I still thank you for the subject of your post (if not the method of delivery), since it prompted the discussion that reminded me to warn that people do not use this on a PC that has a lot of other USB devices connected/in-use. In fact, obviously I recommend that people only plug this into their PC as a last resort, since a much better and safer option is so readily available. (and was mentioned prior to your arrival) I never *wanted* to plug it into my PC either, but since my adapter that was on-hand wasn't up to it, I did so knowing the risks - which were very minimal in my case with no extraneous devices using power.

Last edited:

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
I misspoke in one thread where snus and snuff were being discussed. So sue me.

Actually I didn't know about that one but you adding it to the list of ones I was aware of just proves the point.

Finally, it's your baseless "BS product" remark that attracted any scorn directed at you - but I think you probably already knew and expected that.

Exactly.

and that'll be the end of my responses on that matter ;)

JakeStew

Oct 15, 2009
My 500ma USB wifi (which probably draws about 700ma) will only run at lower power unless you plug in a double ended cord giving it two ports to draw from. It also informs the computer about it's power requirements. Proper USB devices register their power draw and the computer will shut down devices if their total exceeds the power draw of the given port they are using.

I only posted this because I used to be a computer tech and I've seen plenty of fried motherboards. Serial ports are easy to blow and there was a time when people were trying to draw power from the serial port even though the spec says not to draw ANY power from the port. You can draw power from the USB port, it's in the spec. But ONLY 500 ma! I've seen a lot of usb ports that have blown motherboards and heard a lot of BS excuses of why people were trying to draw too much power from them.

So I'm just letting people know this this is an improperly designed device that violates the USB spec and can blow your motherboard. When I was doing repairs we never gave warranty service for blown ports because when you see the SMT resistor burned off the motherboard you know they were drawing more than 500ma, which they simply weren't designed for.

If you want to check what your ports are rated for just go into device manager -> universal serial bus controllers -> USB root hub and open one. Then click the power tab which will tell you the per port power available.

If it doesn't say 1.4 amps or 1400 mA then I wouldn't plug this device into it.

The reason they don't put more power into them is because they use tiny SMT components on modern motherboards. There just isn't much space to put large resistors and other power components and USB was never designed to power anything other than electronic components with minimal power requirements.

I've seen many blown USB controllers. They can and do blow out, usually by frying a SMT resistor. This leaves a dime sized burnt spot on your motherboard and smokes. It could easily start a fire if there are dust bunnies and lint in your computer like most people have.

This may be a great product for wall use and might be well designed, except for the major design flaw that they are trying too much power through a port they know is not designed to handle it. It's the same as trying to plug a 400 amp welder into a standard house outlet. Bad idea.

-Jake

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
My 500ma USB wifi (which probably draws about 700ma) will only run at lower power unless you plug in a double ended cord giving it two ports to draw from.

That's a good example to discuss. By your definition, your USB wifi is a "BS product" apparently. By using two plugs, all it is doing is trying to trick your PC into giving it the power it wants for high power operation. The bottleneck and vulnerability is not in the USB outlet itself, it's either in the PC's power supply or more likely in the USB controller circuitry. There is a finite amount of power both are capable of handling, and that available power is divided up among all the devices drawing power through them. So if your PC has 6 USB ports and you have 6 200ma devices plugged into each port and in use, as far as your power supply and USB controller are concerned, that's the same thing as having 1 single device using 1200ma (1.2amps) plugged into one single port.

It's all cumulative, and your wifi using two plugs doesn't lessen your chances of overloading your PC's capacity - but unless you have an outrageously crappy PC, you should be fine if you aren't simultaneously drawing high amounts of power with other devices plugged into other ports.

It's the same as trying to plug a 400 amp welder into a standard house outlet. Bad idea.
That's not nearly the "same" thing, it's just a gross exaggeration.

Last edited:

River

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
Independence, KY USA
Thanks, River!:D
No prob, Jason is a good guy and has great liquids too. I think they are so good because unlike most other suppliers I have ordered from HE LEAVES THEM THE HELL ALONE!!!

ahem... I mean they are in no way adulterated to stretch his profit margin or to be able to undercut his competitors lol!

IdolLurker

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Florida USA
This thing rocks!

THIS is the best $15 I ever spent on an ecig item! Yes, it costs the same $15 as the junky ones, but it is worlds apart. First of all, there is no battery. Second, it's got a comparatively beefy cord, like the kind you would find on any other typical USB cord, instead of the headphone-like wire on the cheapos. Third, it has an LED on the end where the cord enters into it, and it lights up when you push the button just like a regular manual battery. Fourth of all, and most importantly, IT'S 5volts!!! And finally, did I mention it was just $15?!!!

How's it perform? One word - CLOUDS! If you've never tried anything other than the standard 3.7v this is the cheapest way to try something just a little bit higher without frying your attys.

The best $15 you'll ever spend on ecigs, I guarantee it! Check out his disposable 510 kits while you're there for another great bargain. They're great to give out to your analog smoking friends and family.

OK...you convinced me and I have a 5 V PT on the way and the special usb wall charger. It was my 30 day off analogue anniversary today and nothing like spending what I would have anyway for 2 days on analogues for something that will last and is helping me get healthy.

So at least I haven't fried any of my 510 attys while learning and havent flooded them in a while. But I needed a passthrough set up until I get a substantial new mod that can keep up with my vapefest. I have been struggling with standard 510 batts that are crappy...can't wait til I get to high octane on this 5 v eternal flame.

Really appreciate everyone who commented in this thread.

Clouds of vapor...oh my.

FlipnOut

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Greenville, SC
Sounds like a BS product to me. Trying to draw 3X the rated power from a port?

Good way to fry your motherboard. I'd never get a PT without a battery in it. Might as well just hit your computer with a hammer.

-Jake

Generally your MB just regulates the overall power to the group of ports. If you have 4 ports, at 500ma each, it can handle a total load of 2A. A good MB will have no problem powering the USB passthru, but if you're concerned, order the USB adapter listed earlier in the thread. They work great! I have three of them around the house for running passthrus and charging mods and cell phones, and gps units :)

proimage1

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
USA
This thing rocks!

If you want a good 510 PassThrough for a good price, look no further. Hoogie over at MadVapes has the goods!

I'm not talking about the el-cheapo 3.7v 510 PT's with the inline battery and a cord that looks like dental floss that you could break just by looking at it. If you're like me, you got one of those hoping to not use batteries when you're at your computer, but soon realized that a regular 510 battery provided better vaping performance. That was the worst ~$15 I ever spent on an ecig item - I never took more than a few puffs off of it.

THIS is the best $15 I ever spent on an ecig item! Yes, it costs the same $15 as the junky ones, but it is worlds apart. First of all, there is no battery. Second, it's got a comparatively beefy cord, like the kind you would find on any other typical USB cord, instead of the headphone-like wire on the cheapos. Third, it has an LED on the end where the cord enters into it, and it lights up when you push the button just like a regular manual battery. Fourth of all, and most importantly, IT'S 5volts!!! And finally, did I mention it was just $15?!!!

How's it perform? One word - CLOUDS! If you've never tried anything other than the standard 3.7v this is the cheapest way to try something just a little bit higher without frying your attys. Just make sure you don't let the atty run dry (it will consume liquid at a faster rate) and don't get carried away on the button, and it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure if it has a cutoff, but it doesn't matter because you get plenty of vapor rather quickly anyway.

One note, when I first got it, I tried it with an AC to USB adapter I got from Heaven's Gifts and it didn't work at all - the LED would just flash when I pushed the button. I thought I had got a bum one or something. But then I looked at the adapter and saw it had only .5-amp output and remembered Hoogie said in the item desc. that it needed 1-amp output. So I then just plugged the PT directly into my PC and BAM! no more blinking light when I pushed the button - just clouds of nice warm vapor! (BTW does anybody know where to get a AC-to-USB adapter that's at least 1-amp for a good price?)

You can find these babies at MadVapes here:
MadVapes LLC

The best $15 you'll ever spend on ecigs, I guarantee it! Check out his disposable 510 kits while you're there for another great bargain. They're great to give out to your analog smoking friends and family.

P.S. I bought and paid for my order from MadVapes (which was my first ever order) and I have no relationship with them whatsoever - except for just being a satisfied new customer!

Thanks for the link - I ordered one after reading your post here and hope mine gets here tomorrow - sounded like a great deal and so far the wife hasn't even noticed the charge yet - 8-o I had ordered from MadVapes last week and the service and shipping was perfect !

( I also noticed when I ordered - the number is stock was # 1 - it's evidently accurate to - because I thought about ordering another one after I put it in my cart and it showed -- Not in stock -- good book keeping on MadVape's part - that really helps to know if something is in stock when you order and IF you're going to get it when you expect it -- good job MadVapes :thumb: )

proimage1

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
USA
They are all sold out...:(

Anyone know of another good PT for my 510??

Sorry about that - I noticed yesterday when I ordered - there was one in stock - and yep, I got it -- WOW - you gotta act fast on this forum - almost become a speed reader - sort of how I feel with the contest they have here - I bet Mad Vapes gets them back in really quick - I would check back with them !

JakeStew

Oct 15, 2009
That's a good example to discuss. By your definition, your USB wifi is a "BS product" apparently. By using two plugs, all it is doing is trying to trick your PC into giving it the power it wants for high power operation. The bottleneck and vulnerability is not in the USB outlet itself, it's either in the PC's power supply or more likely in the USB controller circuitry. There is a finite amount of power both are capable of handling, and that available power is divided up among all the devices drawing power through them. So if your PC has 6 USB ports and you have 6 200ma devices plugged into each port and in use, as far as your power supply and USB controller are concerned, that's the same thing as having 1 single device using 1200ma (1.2amps) plugged into one single port.

It's all cumulative, and your wifi using two plugs doesn't lessen your chances of overloading your PC's capacity - but unless you have an outrageously crappy PC, you should be fine if you aren't simultaneously drawing high amounts of power with other devices plugged into other ports.

The spec is 500ma/port. Each port has it's own associated circuitry, it's not necessarily cumulative. Some manufacturers might tie them together giving a cumulative power draw, but that's not in the spec so you can't count on it. There are usually at least some separate resistors and decoupling capacitors wired to each port. My wifi is a non-standard device, but it doesn't necessarily violate the spec since it draws less than 500ma/port.

From wikipedia...
A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and was raised to 150 mA in USB 3.0. A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, which was raised to 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0. There are two types of devices: low-power and high-power. Low-power devices draw at most 1 unit load, with minimum operating voltage of 4.4 V in USB 2.0, and 4 V in USB 3.0. High-power devices draw the maximum number of unit loads supported by the standard. All devices default as low-power but the device's software may request high-power as long as the power is available on the providing bus.[30]

Some USB devices require more power than is permitted by the specifications for a single port. This is common for external hard and optical disc drives, and generally for devices with motors or lamps. Such devices can use an external power supply, which is allowed by the standard, or use a dual-input USB cable, one input of which is used for power and data transfer, the other solely for power, which makes the device a non-standard [but not necessarily non-compliant] USB device.

There's also a number of other parts of the spec. A high power device must connect at low power and request high power. The inrush current must be limited. Devices must negotiate their power requirements with the computer. And devices must suspend their power on request.

The whole reason I jumped in this thread was to point out the device is non-compliant and it isn't a good idea to plug it into your computer. I get worried when I see safety disregarded because that can impact everyone. If the industry produces potentially dangerous products then the anti-vaping people can say e-cigs are dangerous.

If even one incident happens the zealots will jump on it and call e-cigs dangerous and e-cig manufacturers irresponsible. This provides ammunition to dumbasses like that attorney general that says they are no safer than analogs.

If even one motherboard gets fried they'll be able to say "Well just last month someone was nearly killed in an accident due to a dangerous and unregulated e-cig product, for these reasons we need to stop e-cigs until they can be properly regulated (read never)." Then they'll go on about how children could have been killed, the incident was within 1000 yards of a school, etc., etc..

I'll quit ranting now and just go straight to praying that this doesn't happen.

-Jake

ZERO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
people's republic
Sorry about that - I noticed yesterday when I ordered - there was one in stock - and yep, I got it -- WOW - you gotta act fast on this forum - almost become a speed reader - sort of how I feel with the contest they have here - I bet Mad Vapes gets them back in really quick - I would check back with them !

I agree, I contacted them and they said they will have new stock in about a week...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread