Tobacco Absolute (the NET redheaded stepchild)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Just in case anyone reads "hexane" and thinks that it looks scary, you may be justified--hexane is a byproduct of crude oil--but know that it has many uses, and is used, for consumable products, i.e., food. Trust me on this, you have eaten many foods (or ingredients in food) that were processed at one time with hexane. Soy lecithin is in just about all processed foods that don't require a VERY proactive effort in locating; much of all the soy processing uses hexane.

Canola oil? Yep, it gets processed with hexane too.*

Taken from the Cornucopia Institute:

...Hexane is a byproduct of gasoline refining. It is a neurotoxin and a hazardous air pollutant. Soybean processors use it as a solvent—a cheap and efficient way of extracting oil from soybeans, a necessary step to making most conventional soy oil and protein ingredients. Whole soybeans are literally bathed in hexane to separate the soybeans’ oil from protein...

To read the small article in its entirety, click here.

* Certified organic canola oil that has been cold or expeller-pressed does not use hexane for extraction.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Perfumer's Apprentice actually tested their TA:

"We have recently had our tobacco Absolute analyzed by GC/MS, and there was no evidence of Hexane or Petroleum Ether molecules."

So that's good to know.

That is why I put it in the disclaimer of the original post. Yeah, it is good to know though. Wlad ran the same tests (GC-MS) on PA's stuff and got the same results (also no TSNAs). He said the biggest problem (aside from taste) is that the batches are inconsistent in flavor (easy to see from test results). PA is discontinuing TE for similar reasons so people may want to buy it while they can. I think M&P uses their TE so I wonder what they are going to do (if they do use that source.)

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
I didn't know they were going to stop offering TE...but I don't think I'll miss it much. The bottle I have is good at knocking the silky gloss off the TA, but it's really very bland, and just about any tobacco flavor extracted by any of the methods in the "Liquid Extraction of Tobacco" forum would be better for that purpose. TE doesn't have the great tobacco aroma like TA...TE is more like an extremely plain NET maceration, even though it is not.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I didn't know they were going to stop offering TE...but I don't think I'll miss it much. The bottle I have is good at knocking the silky gloss off the TA, but it's really very bland, and just about any tobacco flavor extracted by any of the methods in the "Liquid Extraction of Tobacco" forum would be better for that purpose. TE doesn't have the great tobacco aroma like TA...TE is more like an extremely plain NET maceration, even though it is not.

Interesting. I still don't know how I feel about M&P's TE juices, but I would revisit them at some point.

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
Interesting. I still don't know how I feel about M&P's TE juices, but I would revisit them at some point.

Which M&P juices have TE? And what is TE? Tobacco extract? Is that what the 'E' is? How's it differ from TA?

I'm really trying to learn all this stuff but it's just a ton of info all at once. Not to mention I have a horrible second degree burn on my left leg mid thigh to mid foot from spilling a full fresh pot of french press coffee (just poured 200* water in the pot an had the plunger in to submerge the coffee to steep, but the press handle was up. I opened a cabinet and it hit the plunger and knocked over the FP and that's all she wrote) on myself last Wednesday. Luckily it didn't hit my junk. I'm on so many painkillers I'm having to read things 2, sometimes 3 times to fully grasp it.

And no, no gunsmithing while on narcotics. Pics upon request via PM.

Sorry to go off topic. :blush:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Which M&P juices have TE? And what is TE? Tobacco extract? Is that what the 'E' is? How's it differ from TA?

It's in the special notes of the opening post. Sorry, I just woke up.

"(A): There is another concentrate called Tobacco Extract (TE) that is a sister to TA but it is water soluble, though essentially the same thing, it's just easier to work with. Don't be confused if a vendor says, "we don't use tobacco absolute, we use tobacco extract." Ask them if they make it in-house, if it's American made, or if it's a solvent extraction-- if they don't, can't or won't answer those questions in a way that tells you that it's not TA's sister, it's probably a DIY concentrate like this"

RYO, RYO4 and Conspiracy contain TE from Mom and Pop's. TE is technically just an alcohol extracted TA that Perfumer's Apprentice sells.

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
They most certainly do use that company, but of course a nice NDA will prevent us from knowing who. I wish they had products available for small purchases.

Yeah...I wonder what the minimum order is? I've never participated in a Co-Op buy, but I'd sure want in if there was one for these extracts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread