Trying very first snus now (and yes, I'm a female)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried the steeping method with a snus to make e-liquid too...the Goat Rape wasn't half bad vaped!

No, that's not my snake in that particular pic, but he is a nice one! I actually held it a week ago too...the owner runs a karate studio nearby and is always in the local parade with both of his boas. That's Roosevelt the red tailed boa. My own are 2 corn snakes, a brazilian rainbow boa, and a ball python.

Tell the DH to man up and let you get your pet, hehe

cassavetes

Moved On
Aug 6, 2009
Michigan
I really want to try some real Swedish snus. The only snus I have at the moment is the Camel frost and mild snus, which from other forum members have assured me it's nothing close to the real thing. It's okay IMO, a little too sweet for my liking.

What kind of General snus would you guys recommend for a noob to Swedish snus? I think I'd like to try the loose version rather than the portions or pouches. Does it come in different nicotine strength, or just different portions? Is Swedish snus safer then American snus? I have read that cancer among Swedes is the lowest in all of Europe much in part to the use of smokeless tobacco over cigarettes. I've also noticed there's no surgeon generals warning on the Camel tin.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I really want to try some real Swedish snus. The only snus I have at the moment is the Camel frost and mild snus, which from other forum members have assured me it's nothing close to the real thing. It's okay IMO, a little too sweet for my liking.

What kind of General snus would you guys recommend for a noob to Swedish snus? I think I'd like to try the loose version rather than the portions or pouches. Does it come in different nicotine strength, or just different portions? Is Swedish snus safer then American snus? I have read that cancer among Swedes is the lowest in all of Europe much in part to the use of smokeless tobacco over cigarettes. I've also noticed there's no surgeon generals warning on the Camel tin.

Lot of questions. I try and get to at least some of them.

First off, unless you're an experienced dipper (american oral snuff), I would strongly advise to start with portions. As tempting as loose may be you really don't want to start there.

There are many different nicotine strengths.
Minis-usaully about 4 mg of nicotine
Regular-anywhere from 8 to 17 mg of nicotine, with 8 mg considered the standard strength.

As for camel SNUS and the swedish snus, that's up for debate. I'm staying with the Swedes. The main reason is, like you, I find the camel SNUS to sweet for any regular use. Others like the camel, to each his own.

The hardest question is recommendations. Unless you're a heavy smoker stay away from the sterks (anything over 8 mg of nicotine). As for taste, to each his own. Try a lot of different stuff and see what appeals to you.

Check out the snuson.com forum

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Good advice .. particularly on staying away from loose snus .. unless you enjoy smiling at people with a mush mouth. Get low or medium strength MINI white portions. There are many flavors to choose from. Beginners often like the General White Mini Mint. That's among my favorites. If you go for regular wet portions, your first reaction is likely to be (1) this stuff stinks!; (2) this stuff tastes like yuck.

Just fair warning.

JetsFan

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
West Palm Beach
I ordered some General snus from Northerner.com on Wednesday, 9/23. The UPS tracking had a scheduled delivery for 9/25. My package went from Sweden to Denmark to Paris to Philadelphia. Today I got a notice from UPS that my shipment is being held up for clearance with the FDA. They gave no indication of when I could expect to receive my package. Anyone else ever had this issue?

JetsFan

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
West Palm Beach
This was the email I received from UPS today at the request of Northerner:

Important Delivery Information

Tracking Number:
Exception Reason: UPS IS PROCESSING SHIPMENT FOR FUTURE SUBMISSION TO THE FOOD/DRUG ADMIN AND/OR DEPT OF AG PPQ
Exception Status/Resolution: SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY, AWAITING FINAL RELEASE (STATUS)

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
This was the email I received from UPS today at the request of Northerner:

Important Delivery Information

Tracking Number:
Exception Reason: UPS IS PROCESSING SHIPMENT FOR FUTURE SUBMISSION TO THE FOOD/DRUG ADMIN AND/OR DEPT OF AG PPQ
Exception Status/Resolution: SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY, AWAITING FINAL RELEASE (STATUS)

I have suspicions the above poster is not on the up and up. I look in on snuson.com on a regular basis and have never heard of any snus order being held up.

On top of that Northern sends the General brand from a US warehouse so it wouldn't be shipped from overseas. And then there is a question of UPS. I know Northern does ship UPS but it's very expensive. Swedish post is the way any sane person would go.

This poster smells of Lute-fish.

KevinD872

ECF Veteran
I've never tried snus, but it sounds interesting and it also sounds like I would probably prefer the Swedish stuff. I don't know if JetsFan is on the "up and up" or not, but in response to TB (great vids, BTW), who knows...... maybe the FDA is causing trouble with imported snus now in order to defend their bed buddies, the U.S. tobacco companies that manufacture the U.S. snus? Sounds very conspiracy-like, and I usually am not like that, but I really wonder about the FDA sometimes.

JetsFan

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
West Palm Beach
I have suspicions the above poster is not on the up and up.

I'm not making this up, I swear. I can send you a PM with the tracking history. Never used snus before and decided to order some based on recommendations on this thread.

I have a non-stop from Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco next week and was hoping to use some during my long flight.

Sorry if you are suspicious about this, but I'm NOT a liar.

Thanks.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I have suspicions the above poster is not on the up and up.

I'm not making this up, I swear. I can send you a PM with the tracking history. Never used snus before and decided to order some based on recommendations on this thread.

I have a non-stop from Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco next week and was hoping to use some during my long flight.

Sorry if you are suspicious about this, but I'm NOT a liar.

Thanks.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. At this point I'm tending to believe you. It's just that no one that I know off has ever had a snus shipment stopped by customs. On the surface it seemed very suspicious. I will certainly be monitoring news on the snuson.com forum to see if anyone else has problems.

JetsFan

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
West Palm Beach
Here's my Northerner tracking info from UPS: Maybe its getting cleared now? I'll keep you posted.

PHILADELPHIA, PA, US 09/26/2009 3:14 P.M. IMPORT SCAN
09/26/2009 12:08 A.M. UPS IS PROCESSING SHIPMENT FOR FUTURE SUBMISSION TO THE FOOD/DRUG ADMIN AND/OR DEPT OF AG PPQ / SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY, AWAITING FINAL RELEASE
09/26/2009 12:07 A.M. UPS IS PROCESSING SHIPMENT FOR FUTURE SUBMISSION TO THE FOOD/DRUG ADMIN AND/OR DEPT OF AG PPQ / SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY, AWAITING FINAL RELEASE
PHILADELPHIA, PA, US 09/25/2009 8:14 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
ROISSY, PARIS, FR 09/25/2009 6:05 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
09/25/2009 4:43 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
KOELN (COLOGNE), DE 09/25/2009 12:31 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
KOELN (COLOGNE), DE 09/24/2009 11:30 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
MALMO STURUP, SE 09/24/2009 11:17 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
09/24/2009 10:42 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
MOLNDAL, SE 09/24/2009 6:55 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
09/24/2009 6:51 P.M. EXPORT SCAN
09/24/2009 6:51 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
SE 09/23/2009 10:00 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Just for future reverence, I did a little checking around on the snuson.com forum and you can run into a few problems using UPS. There has never been a problem using swedish post. It takes longer with swedish post, but it is cheaper.

If your in a hurry I would use getsnus,com. They ship everything from a US warehouse so never a problem with customs, and fast shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread