Trying very first snus now (and yes, I'm a female)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingclam

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Punta Gorda, Florida
Likewise. My Northerner shipment is WAY overdue and I have no way to tracking it, since it was via postal mail. I'm irritated by the delay and make a quick order today from getsnus.com, which also allowed me to get some Discreet.
I was reading that Northener changed their postal service and some orders are now taking up to 2 weeks to get here now. I've been ordering from Getsnus lately so I'm not sure on that. Northener prices seem to have gone up quite a bit lately also. I've been finding things just as cheap or cheaper on Getsnus right here in the States.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Saw the title and had to check this out. Go ladies! Anything to keep you off analogs.

I tried the US Camel Mellow & Frost. Not bad, not really impressed. I didn't care for the sweetness as some described. I can't say I felt any nic hit, but it did allow pauses in my vaping. This is good. vaping is a good thing, but it seems there is a large nic loss causing to much vaping time. I really don't want to vape a stronger liquid than 24mg.
So, here I am searching alternatives.

I've learned a lot in this thread! Did I miss TB's vid on putting a snus in a cart?
Seems there are a few must haves here. I made a file as I read the whole thread!
The Wine and Dine seemed very interseting with a kick and no flavor with coffee or tea.
Stonewalls, General Mint, Discreet & Java also peaked my interest. I even saw a Peach scanning the sites I bookmarked.

Looking for an "in between" vaping with a noticeable kick. Suggestions beyond my list?
Prefer something with a tobacco flavor but not closed to other flavors.

Thanks to all.

Edit: If ordered from Northerner and some show in the US and others do not, is it 2 seperate mailings?

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Actually a tough question. As someone here once said, Its like asking 20 people what there favorite ice cream is. You're likely to get a whole lot of conflicting answers.

If you're looking to get away from the flavored snus, and into the more traditional flavored swedish snus a good place to start is Ettan. It's a classic pure tobacco flavored that's been around since 1822. It's on the top of my go-to list. Another one is Grovsnus. A bit more bite to it then Ettan. A little more salt and pepper to it.

A classic tobacco-bergamot snus is General. Some people like it, some don't. Of all the bergamot flavored snuses out there I still keep going back to general. Another one of my go-to snuses. Bergamot is in a lot of swedish snus. It's a citrus type flavor that goes well with tobacco, or at least many people think so.

If you haven't had a traditional snus you're in for a surprise. None of these are anywhere near the sweetness of the camel SNUS. In fact the opposite, they are salty. The standard 1 gram 8 mg nicotine pouch will have a noticeably bigger hit of nicotine then camel.

No doubt others may have suggestions, but the three above are all on the must-try list for traditional snus. I do whites on all of them.

Last edited:

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Thanks Stubby,

I read that and it is a pretty subjective question. I've just seen some even on the comments area of the website that say "it's junk". The ratings seem to follow what I've read here. I've been on their sites since I posted. Was on Northerners looking for what would ship from the US. Found General White, Discreet and a snuff that looked interesting. I used to get Peach snuff in SC on vacation each year.
Glad to hear it on the hit. The Camel SNUS is fair to say the most. 2 pouches did slow my vaping down for abt an hr. I used to smoke Ultra Light analogs too. So, it can't be much. I did get the sample freebie ordered, The General Mixed Sampler.

Thanks again, off to getsnus.com.....lol looks like they are in the US also 1-800 #

I'm big on the Discreet snus myself, but as far as "plain" goes, then yes, General would work well, and the Gotlands Yellow is pretty good too. Surprisingly, the Phantom portions were also good, but getsnus doesn't sell them any more.

I'm much more into the flavored snus, and the Discreet ones are definitely the faves. Other than that, I also like the Thunder Frosted (regular and mini sized), General Wintergreen, Oden's Cinnamon, and several of the Offroad Los snus varieties. Offroad is an either you like it or you don't type of snus, and their los varieties are better than the portions. My favorite of theirs is the coffee/vanilla but it's no longer being made.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
I got Christmas early today!
3 packages arrived. Discreet samples from Tom (thanks a bunch), a General Mini Samplerand my order from Northerner with more samples in it. Guess they tossed them in since I tried to do thier survey and it wasnt working......wooo hooo

It has cut my vapin abt in 1/2. No constant vaping! I have 2 hands now! lol

The Camel SNUS arent great, kinda sweet and not much nic hit, but were better than nothing to hold me till I got all this today. I am taking a liking to the frost.
I read page after page on how Sweedish adsorb so much beter and it comes from the salt and sodiun carbonate in them. It shifts the pH of the mouth to basic so the tobacco can be more easily adsorbed.
Hmmmmm.....took a 3ml dropper bottle and put 1/16" of salt and baking soda in it.
Filled it to the neck with distilled water and shook. It may sound gross , but its not. Its whats in the Sweedish stuff. Sodium Carbonate immediately changes to baking soda in the mouth (Sodium Bicarbonate). A few drops on the Camel portions and let sit for 5 min or so and they arent as sweet and do have a skight better nic hit.

Now.....for a movie and a General I've heard so much about.

Thanks to all for all the infomation.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I read page after page on how Swedish adsorb so much beter and it comes from the salt and sodiun carbonate in them. It shifts the pH of the mouth to basic so the tobacco can be more easily adsorbed.
Hmmmmm.....took a 3ml dropper bottle and put 1/16" of salt and baking soda in it.
Filled it to the neck with distilled water and shook. It may sound gross , but its not. Its whats in the Sweedish stuff. Sodium Carbonate immediately changes to baking soda in the mouth (Sodium Bicarbonate). A few drops on the Camel portions and let sit for 5 min or so and they arent as sweet and do have a skight better nic hit.

Now.....for a movie and a General I've heard so much about.

Thanks to all for all the infomation.

That's very interesting, it's amazing how simple snus really is. I know Swedish match claims most or there snus has an 8.5 ph.

I've had discussions on other threads about the ph of e-liquid. An interesting point is that almost all e-liquid has citric-acid in it. One manufacture claims it's to balance the ph. That doesn't sound quite right to me. It's more likely to increase the shelf life. Unfortunately it likely lowers the ph and decreases the absorption of nicotine.

That may be one of the reasons why e-cigs didn't really work out for me.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Stubby,

I've had that same discussion and one is presently going on in a thread determining if all the nic is there that they say it is. Very interesting. It's now at the point I made on the pH issue vs adsorption. I've read the same info as you on liquids being acidic. For lung adsorption, thats fine, for oral or mucous adsorbtion it should be basic according to this:
A handbook on drug and alcohol abuse ... - Google Books

The link to the tread discussion is:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...y-interest-determining-nicotine-new-post.html

It may very well be the reason you weren't satisfied. I had one juice really hit, once, and never noted what it was as it was early on in my introduction to ecigs. Now I don't get the same buzz and I'm going through order slips looking for it. I'd love to pH a sample of it.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I concur that e-liquid is NOT alkaline enough. I've even tried chewing Tums to lower mouth acidity and help absorption. Didn't help and messed up the flavor of the vapor. The only solution is less-acid liquid. This stuff is mostly absorbed by the mouth, according to the Health New Zealand studies, and virtually none is absorbed from the lungs. So get to work, e-liquid makers.

deeanne59

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I am using a snus...AND IT IS GREAT (sort of). I have a confession...I have been leary of trying snus- but not too long ago, I decided to try them- I ordered from the Northerner, and I had a wait before the order arrived. I happened to have some Camel Snus in the fridge from making Snu juice for vaping, so I thought I would give those a try....bad move!

I had never used a snus before, I had an empty stomach, and I hadn't placed it right. I didn't have it in for 10 minutes before I had to hurry and take it out and go throw up....yuck! I talked to TB about it, and he gave me some pointers and recommendations. I have just now got the nerve to "get back on that horse and ride"....so about 45 minutes ago I put in a General Mini Mint to try. It wasn't in 5 minutes before I got a "gush" of that sweet juice come out and I started swallowing. I started to reach in and take it out, but decided to ride it out. I started drinking my coffee with it to help wash the juice down. I got the initial lump in the throat and a lump feeling in my stomach- but all of a sudden the lump went away, the juice flow subsided, and I am here now enjoying the mint flavor of the snus!:D :D :D

Last edited:

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
I am using a snus...AND IT IS GREAT (sort of). I have a confession...I have been leary of trying snus- but not too long ago, I decided to try them- I ordered from the Northerner, and I had a wait before the order arrived. I happened to have some Camel Snus in the fridge from making Snu juice for vaping, so I thought I would give those a try....bad move!

I had never used a snus before, I had an empty stomach, and I hadn't placed it right. I didn't have it in for 10 minutes before I had to hurry and take it out and go throw up....yuck! I talked to TB about it, and he gave me some pointers and recommendations. I have just now got the nerve to "get back on that horse and ride"....so about 45 minutes ago I put in a General Mini Mint to try. It wasn't in 5 minutes before I got a "gush" of that sweet juice come out and I started swallowing. I started to reach in and take it out, but decided to ride it out. I started drinking my coffee with it to help wash the juice down. I got the initial lump in the throat and a lump feeling in my stomach- but all of a sudden the lump went away, the juice flow subsided, and I am here now enjoying the mint flavor of the snus!:D :D :D
deeanne.....It seems that everyone has a different reaction to snus when they first try it...I was fortunate enough to take to it without problems. I am finding snus to be quite enjoyable at work...and very discreet as well.Good luck in your experimenting!!:)The Wiz!

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I am using a snus...AND IT IS GREAT (sort of). (snip)
45 minutes ago I put in a General Mini Mint to try. It wasn't in 5 minutes before I got a "gush" of that sweet juice come out and I started swallowing. I started to reach in and take it out, but decided to ride it out. I started drinking my coffee with it to help wash the juice down. I got the initial lump in the throat and a lump feeling in my stomach- but all of a sudden the lump went away, the juice flow subsided, and I am here now enjoying the mint flavor of the snus!:D :D :D

Same here - so much juice! But didn't bother vaping for a good couple of hours. It's a strong enough taste (and nic) to banish any thought of picking up a PV. One minus point: the brown colour of the juice if you have too much to swallow.
If I can't lay hands on a PV for any reason this will be a good way to avoid analogues.

:)

C.

PS for Vaporer:
Bob's Videos:
All fabulous videos and a lifesaver for people on small budgets!

So....find them again on Digg. In the Educational section!

Spend Less One Spend less on your tobacco habit

Spend Less Two Spend Less on your Tobacco Habit II

Spend Less Three Spend Less on Your Tobacco Habit III

Last edited:

Zarathustra

May 30, 2009
Nashville, TN
Those are required warnings and MEAN NOTHING. The warnings forced on snus and dissolvables are just disgraceful misinformation brought on by anti-smoking zealots. The research on snus' health consequences is all out there for anyone to read. Results bear no relationship to those ugly warnings. It's incorrect warnings like these that make consumers disbelieve ALL tobacco package warnings.

The mini mint is a fine snus, Sheilalynn. It was called CatchDry Peppermint until General decided to market it under the General label a couple of months ago. It's a regular for me, particularly after meals.

Snus maintains a very steady blood nicotine level, unlike smoking, so you're not likely to feel the same "hit" you got from a cigarette. But your nicotine rises about 10 minutes after you put a portion in place, and keeps steady for an hour or longer. Many find this very satisfying.

Yes, you can always inhale from your e-cig for even more nicotine.

Preach on, brother. You're exactly right. The carcinogens are virtually zero. You'd have to use about 30 pieces of snus to equal just one cigarette as far as carcinogens go. I haven't seen it reported where anyone has gotten mouth cancer, gum loss, or tooth loss. If you use it a ridiculous amount it is possible for your gum to get sore. If that's the case, switch to the other side, sillies. But yeah, snus is a newborn kitten compared to cigarettes in the harm factor.

mart.hart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2008
York's/Lanc's
Vaping Snus.

I can’t use e-cigs as both PG and VG make me ill

I got some snus to try as normal use and it’s not so bad.
I then mixed some honey and water gave the snus a bit of a soak and it worked.
Not clouds of vapour but one huge nicotine hit.

Has anyone tried soaking snus in anything else that may be a bit more friendly to my intolerant body?
I am intolerant to dairy/citric/alcohol (yes, what bummer)

Thanks
Mart

enadrown

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
Salina, Kansas
HA! I love snus! I work in a large manufacturing plant, so it's me and hundreds of boys, (and they ladies in the office, lol) I work on the floor as a fabricator, we can't smoke in there anymore and when I pop a snu in all the guys love it. LOL. I was talking to a friend the other day, he is a funny 40 something that pretty much adopted me right off, and he looked at me and said, "ARE YOU CHEWIN? I LOVE YOU, ER, i MEAN, YOUR THE COOLEST!" I don't know why, but guys in that world love seein a young girl getting dirty and workin like a man. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread