Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
As our old friend steve pointed out once, if the FDA said we could only have "tobacco" flavors, halo would only lose about two from their line.

Indeed... ;) Hmmm...

So I went back to the source--the Cole-Bishop amendment doesn't say anything about flavors.

"The Cole-Bishop amendment to the 2017 Agricultural Appropriations bill would change the grandfather date specifically for deemed products from February 15, 2007 to the effective date of the Deeming Regulation (i.e., most likely sometime in 2016). If this amendment becomes law, any nicotine-containing e-vapor products on the market as of the effective date of the final rule would be grandfathered and, although such products would still have to comply with the rest of the tobacco Control Act, could avoid the lengthy and expensive PMTA process. Grandfathered products could also serve as predicate products for future SE Reports for new products intended to be marketed after the new grandfather date.
In addition to changing the grandfather date for deemed products, the amendment also includes language that will:
  • Require FDA to begin rulemaking to establish a product standard for e-vapor product batteries within 1 year of the effective date of the Deeming Regulation, and publish a final product standard for e-vapor product batteries within 2 years of the effective date of the Deeming Regulation.
  • Cause an e-vapor product to be considered misbranded under the FDCA if it is advertised in a newspaper, magazine, periodical, or any other publication other than an adult publication (i.e., a publication with 15% or less of its readership from readers younger than 18 years of age, and read by fewer than 2 million persons under 18 years of age).
  • Require retailers to sell e-vapor products in direct face-to-face exchanges without the use of any electronic or mechanical devices, such as a vending machine. This provision contains an exemption for mail-order sales (i.e., internet), and allows the use of vending machines or self-service displays if the machine or display is located in a facility where the retailer can ensure no persons under the age of 18 would be permitted to enter (i.e., adult-only facilities).
  • Require publication, within 1 year of the effective date of the Deeming Regulation, a regulation that would require e-vapor products to be labeled with the phrases "Keep Out of Reach of Children," and "Underage Sale Prohibited," as well as feature an accurate statement of the nicotine content of the product.
  • Requires retailers (e.g., vape shops) to register their establishment with FDA unless such retailer has already registered under any state or federal law."
Just for the record.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
As our old friend steve pointed out once, if the FDA said we could only have "tobacco" flavors, halo would only lose about two from their line.

Sadly.........I don't Do tobacco flavors to speak of. Once I decided this was going to work, I immediately steered my palate away to more pleasurable things. Now that I DIY, I do use a bit of RY4 Double Flavoring in one main Vape, but it is heavy on Bavarian Cream and Candy Caramel :D
Closely Followed by Milk-Chocolate-toffee-Cappuccino, Butter Scotch, Vanilla Custard, King Cake and a dozen other desserts:thumb:

The FDA would be shocked to know I'm 62:cool:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Yup, I agree, support both until/unless there is something specifically in either one that makes them bad. At this point though, hard to see how they could make things any worse. It does suck that at this time there is no easy CTA to follow for the amendment, but writing and calling reps is still possible.
I ended up going through a site called emailcongress. It lets you send something to both Senators and Congressman, IDing yourself as a constituent, via email. Nothing magic, but a convenience.

On another note, I commented on one of the NYT Room for Debate articles, the one written by the ALA. When I submitted I saw that Elaine (VOCALek) had just had a comment approved/posted.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Classy and Robin, what do you say about bannering a call to action around Katya's message, for us vapors to thank Tom Cole and those who are voting for this amendment to show our support and to encourage him and the others who have voted for any grandfather date to be current, not years and years ago? Maybe someone can find the others who approved this at House Committee level?

I also saw a letter that had been crafted to Tom Cole (Smokey's vaping.com perhaps?) that we might get behind?

Just thoughts…..

There's more. Cole himself, the author of the HR 2058, is endorsing this new approach.

Cole Responds to FDA Expanding Regulatory Authority on Tobacco Products

"I still believe that my bipartisan amendment, recently approved by the Appropriations Committee in the Agriculture Appropriations bill, provides the same framework for new tobacco products without needlessly subjecting small businesses to unnecessary regulations and without treating law abiding adults like naïve children.”
………..
Calling FDA might amuse someone, but it's a stunt. Please issue a new CTA in support of the Cole/Bishop amendment ASAP.

You can read more here, if you're interested (see page 3).

http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/archives/12809

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Classy and Robin, what do you say about bannering a call to action around Katya's message, for us vapors to thank Tom Cole and those who are voting for this amendment to show our support and to encourage him and the others who have voted for any grandfather date to be current, not years and years ago? Maybe someone can find the others who approved this at House Committee level?

I also saw a letter that had been crafted to Tom Cole (Smokey's vaping.com perhaps?) that we might get behind?

Just thoughts…..
I would love to. SJ does those banners himself.

Tagging @SmokeyJoe

Buster282

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
FL USA
Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi just saw this petition posted by a ...... off state rep. in West Va. Looks like it could potentually have some clout. He's lookin fo 100,00 signatures! So ya'll share...

Fight the FDA » Larry W Faircloth; West Virginia State Treasurer

We Fight! We Fight! We Fight!

Someone posted it in the Big Thread earlier. I tried to sign, but after I signed I was immediately taken to their Donate page... I never received any confirmation from them, and I can't even see how many signatures they have gathered to date. If someone can figure out how it works, please let me know. Seriously, I don't even know if my signature has been accepted. :facepalm:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Just thoughts…..

I'm still hoping that CASAA will issue an updated CTA in support of both bills... And maybe another letter of support to Mr. Cole.

Reactions: Hulamoon

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I did see a great form letter of support to Rep. Cole, (more personal content always appreciated) but I can't find it and I feel it would be good if we could find the names of all who are supporting the industry in that amendment. Heck a grandfather date of 2016 has GOT to be better than the nuthin' we're getting right now, especially with the clock ticking down…..

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I did see a great form letter of support to Rep. Cole, (more personal content always appreciated) but I can't find it and I feel it would be good if we could find the names of all who are supporting the industry in that amendment. Heck a grandfather date of 2016 has GOT to be better than the nuthin' we're getting right now, especially with the clock ticking down…..

I'm only aware of one letter, written by CASAA. I signed it, but it was some time ago. Sorry.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
doubtful - amazing as it is 2/3 of the vaping market comes from gas station/ convenience store sales through cigalikes
Cigalikes account for at most 20% of the market including what Bt has
bought in to. This share has been dropping as convenience store news mags
have been reporting. The rest of the non BT part of the industry is still growing.
no one knows how fast as convenience store do not sell the good stuff and have
no way to track sales.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
I don't know if this is a worthy idea or, even, how to use it, but I figured I'd mention it:

Would it be worthwhile to somehow tie vaping with the "Cancer Moonshot" advocated by Joe Biden (cf. 'Cancer moonshot' to start crowdsourcing stories, studies today on Medium)? Something like vaping could be an avenue to reducing the rates of cancer (rather than a cure).

Someone smarter than me might be able to do something with it... or would such an attempt be a waste of time or backfire on us?

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Cigalikes account for at most 20% of the market including what Bt has
bought in to. This share has been dropping as convenience store news mags
have been reporting. The rest of the non BT part of the industry is still growing.
no one knows how fast as convenience store do not sell the good stuff and have
no way to track sales.

strange, i remember reading that overall sales were $2.2 billion with mods accounting for $800 million of that total. the figures stuck in my mind but i can't find the source now :(

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't know if this is a worthy idea or, even, how to use it, but I figured I'd mention it:

Would it be worthwhile to somehow tie vaping with the "Cancer Moonshot" advocated by Joe Biden (cf. 'Cancer moonshot' to start crowdsourcing stories, studies today on Medium)? Something like vaping could be an avenue to reducing the rates of cancer (rather than a cure).

Someone smarter than me might be able to do something with it... or would such an attempt be a waste of time or backfire on us?

I just contacted Mr. Biden.

Told him that after 25 Years of Smoking, I was able to Quit by using an e-Cigarette. And after 6 years of e-Cigarette use, my Physician is Extremely Happy with my marked Improvement in my over-all Health.

I also Told him how Utterly Disgusted I was with the FDA Deeming Announcement. How Existing Science is being Ignored. And if He (and this Administration) truly wanted to Impact Cancer, they would be viewing e-Cigarettes as the UK Health Ministry is. As Viable Harm Reduction to Smoking.

Submit Your Comments and Questions Online

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I just contacted Mr. Biden.

Told him that after 25 Years of Smoking, I was able to Quit by using an e-Cigarette. And after 6 years of e-Cigarette use, my Physician is Extremely Happy with my marked Improvement in my over-all Health.

I also Told him how Utterly Disgusted I was with the FDA Deeming Announcement. How Existing Science is being Ignored. And if He (and this Administration) truly wanted to Impact Cancer, they would be viewing e-Cigarettes as the UK Health Ministry is. As Viable Harm Reduction to Smoking.

Submit Your Comments and Questions Online
EXCELLENT! Thank you!!!

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Not sure where to post this, but I just saw a Donald Trump press conference at an energy conference in North Dakota. He began it by saying that two of the main things he wants to improve for the American people are to reduce taxes and to reduce regulations. He said of the two, regulations are even more of a problem for Americans than taxes. Of course, he was primarily referring to energy regulations, but I hope the vape advocacy groups will reach out to him about The Deeming Regs. The time for action on this is now!

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
The webinar with Cynthia Cabrera is up.

The webinar with Tony Abboud and Dimitris Agrafiotis was excellent. A lot of information about who and what VTA and Sevia USA are and what they are doing, the Cole-Bishop Amendment and other information we should all be aware of. The video should be up in 24-48 hours.

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Our state has taken FDA's ball and run with it, in a BIG way! A SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT wholesale tax on ALL vapor products!
The amendment was wiggled into HB 4001:
"An Act relating to taxation, including establishing an individual income tax; relating to the marijuana tax and bonding requirements for :censored: cultivation facilities; relating to the exploration incentive credit; increasing the motor fuel tax; increasing the taxes on cigarettes and tobacco products; taxing electronic smoking products; adding a definition of 'electronic smoking product' and requiring labeling of an electronic smoking product; increasing the excise tax on alcoholic beverages; relating to exemptions from the mining license tax; removing the minimum and maximum restrictions on the annual base fee for the reissuance or renewal of an entry permit or an interim-use permit; increasing the mining license tax rate; relating to mining license application, renewal, and fees; increasing the fisheries business tax and fishery resource landing tax; relating to refunds to local governments; and providing for an effective date."

I don't know the disposition of this bill, whether it passed or not but I suspect with a nearly FIVE BILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT, it did and will be signed into law by our Governor. Since Alaska is "freight dependent" and virtually EVERYTHING has to be shipped to us, this incredibly restrictive legislation has us by "The Short & Curlies"!
(The entire text can be seen here: Alaska State Legislature )

That being said, even our own somewhat "Backwoods" legislature seems to think the FDA's "Deeming" MAY not stand, leaving this "out" for themselves:
(B) does not include a product that has been approved by
the United States Food and Drug Administration for sale as a smoking
cessation product, tobacco dependence product, or modified risk tobacco
product;
Still, they HAVE taken the ball and run with it, for now. Alaska's only hope is that "the Deeming" WILL be overturned or at least modified to read "modified risk tobacco product". (Notice that big pharma are in the clear with their products that don't work or "may cause homicidal or suicidal tendencies.")

I also have to comment that I am disappointed in my Representative who assured me months ago that this tax would "never see the light of day" and that he would "Keep me advised IF a tele-conference WERE scheduled so I could testify by phone." and with CASAA as well, who failed to advise me in a timely manner that there would be a tele-conference. (CTA received 10 minutes AFTER the tele-conference had already started and been closed to additional callers.) I'm doing everything within my ability to "Fight The Good Fight". I can't express how important this issue is to BOTH of "us". More advance notice would sure be helpful, CASAA. "WE" ALL have to do better if we're going to win this fight. Just sayin'........... ;) Ok, off to TRY & contact my Representative and ask some questions! I'll keep you posted. ;)

:cool: Von Vape :cool:

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Our state has taken FDA's ball and run with it, in a BIG way! A SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT wholesale tax on ALL vapor products!
The amendment was wiggled into HB 4001:
"An Act relating to taxation, including establishing an individual income tax; relating to the ......... tax and bonding requirements for :censored: cultivation facilities; relating to the exploration incentive credit; increasing the motor fuel tax; increasing the taxes on cigarettes and tobacco products; taxing electronic smoking products; adding a definition of 'electronic smoking product' and requiring labeling of an electronic smoking product; increasing the excise tax on alcoholic beverages; relating to exemptions from the mining license tax; removing the minimum and maximum restrictions on the annual base fee for the reissuance or renewal of an entry permit or an interim-use permit; increasing the mining license tax rate; relating to mining license application, renewal, and fees; increasing the fisheries business tax and fishery resource landing tax; relating to refunds to local governments; and providing for an effective date."

I don't know the disposition of this bill, whether it passed or not but I suspect with a nearly FIVE BILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT, it did and will be signed into law by our Governor. Since Alaska is "freight dependent" and virtually EVERYTHING has to be shipped to us, this incredibly restrictive legislation has us by "The Short & Curlies"!
(The entire text can be seen here: Alaska State Legislature )

That being said, even our own somewhat "Backwoods" legislature seems to think the FDA's "Deeming" MAY not stand, leaving this "out" for themselves:
(B) does not include a product that has been approved by
the United States Food and Drug Administration for sale as a smoking
cessation product, tobacco dependence product, or modified risk tobacco
product;
Still, they HAVE taken the ball and run with it, for now. Alaska's only hope is that "the Deeming" WILL be overturned or at least modified to read "modified risk tobacco product". (Notice that big pharma are in the clear with their products that don't work or "may cause homicidal or suicidal tendencies.")

I also have to comment that I am disappointed in my Representative who assured me months ago that this tax would "never see the light of day" and that he would "Keep me advised IF a tele-conference WERE scheduled so I could testify by phone." and with CASAA as well, who failed to advise me in a timely manner that there would be a tele-conference. (CTA received 10 minutes AFTER the tele-conference had already started and been closed to additional callers.) I'm doing everything within my ability to "Fight The Good Fight". I can't express how important this issue is to BOTH of "us". More advance notice would sure be helpful, CASAA. "WE" ALL have to do better if we're going to win this fight. Just sayin'........... ;) Ok, off to TRY & contact my Representative and ask some questions! I'll keep you posted. ;)

:cool: Von Vape :cool:

A 75% tax is outrageous! Good luck!

Reactions: Von Vape
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread