Vapes not allowed on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
i recently sold a kayfun on Ebay UK. I had some trouble getting it listed until I realised ya have to be cunning. I had to list it under an odd category. I think it was Health and beauty. I was concerned that would reduce the amount of exposure my ad got but that's what I did anyway. I also refrained from using any vape terminology where possible. If Ebay spot it they will pull the ad.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
From Ebay UK

E-cigarettes, e-shishas and related accessories such as atomisers, liquids (with and without nicotine) and flavours are allowed if the permitted business seller has an effective age verification process that satisfies due diligenceas described in the Business Companion guide for online age verification checks.
  • In addition, permitted business sellers must include the following text in their item description: "I have an effective age verification process that satisfies due diligence as described in the Business Companion guide for online age verification checks and I will not sell to persons that are under 18 years old."
  • Business sellers must only sell to end consumers (B2C) nicotine liquids with a maximum strength of 20mg/ml and a maximum size of 10ml for refill container and 2ml maximum for e-cigarettes

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
As I said before, all legitimate shops stopped selling when the policy over ecigs first came into effect. That doesn't mean some people still didn't sell anyway, they just played the averages that eBay couldn't police everything and hoped they could sell a few things before the ad was taken down by eBay..
Over the past month, when I would search google for the best prices on vaping supplies, Ebay had advertisements saying things like "Coils for your e-cigarettes? We've got that too!" and these were ads BY ebay, they would go to a category listing, not an individual item. I ran into this AT LEAST a dozen times, so I am pretty sure they knew what they were doing. And the sheer amount of product available and number of vendors selling it were overwhelming.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
To my memory all vaping equipment was always banned on both eBay and Amazon. The reason is they don’t have age verification. The problem was both eBay and Amazon basically ignored it and only enforced anything when someone complained.

Corporations are corporations.

I’m actually glad it’s being enforced now.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've ordered some items from Ebay, but most of my orders are from Amazon or direct from a company seller. The one time that I ordered an iStick Pico mod from a Chinese seller on Ebay it turned out to be a fake (or defective) and I got an immediate credit from Ebay. That Pico didn't have a wattage setup in TC (4 clicks in TC mode), the display was skewed and didn't look like the display on my other Picos.

The issue with returning something to China is cost. The cheapest return through USPS is about $60 to $70. That's unacceptable for something I paid $18.97 for on Ebay. The seller refunded my money to Paypal and after more than a month has not required me to return the item.

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
i recently sold a Kayfun on Ebay UK. I had some trouble getting it listed until I realised ya have to be cunning. I had to list it under an odd category. I think it was Health and beauty. I was concerned that would reduce the amount of exposure my ad got but that's what I did anyway. I also refrained from using any vape terminology where possible. If Ebay spot it they will pull the ad.

Health and Beauty is where eBay placed the ecig category.

Well, no matter when they made the rules against it, they just started pulling listings in the past 2 days. I never had any issues before in the hundreds of transactions selling things like 3d printed accessories, consumables such as wicking and stuff, and a couple of mods here and there. Even when I had to contact an eBay rep over a dispute, they said it was fine as long as there was no nicotine involved, and they sided with me.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I literally just got this eBay email. Whatever policies they are enforcing or enacting seem a bit spotty.
eBay email.JPG

Reactions: bnrkwest

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I literally just got this eBay email. Whatever policies they are enforcing or enacting seem a bit spotty.
View attachment 844417

It's always been spotty since they first enacted the policy..

there for a while larger volume sellers were reporting lower volume sellers to rid themselves of competition.. lol..

I'm sure you'll always be able to find stuff.. it does seem according to the listings that there are fewer..

I know Chinese sellers are able to continue to sell, and eBay UK and Amazon UK are still able to sell..

This is supposedly just the U.S. and Canada, and has to do with Paypals policy and U.S. laws (although I'm unsure what U.S. laws - I don't sell vape related products)

there's a new company similar to PayPal that's with eBay now but I don't know what their policy is like.. I refuse to set up an account with a new company so I'm unsure if the new company has anything to do with this too.

But yeah.. people are going to sell regardless I'm sure. eBay just wants their cut - it's never seemed like they actually cared..

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've ordered some items from Ebay, but most of my orders are from Amazon or direct from a company seller. The one time that I ordered an iStick Pico mod from a Chinese seller on Ebay it turned out to be a fake (or defective) and I got an immediate credit from Ebay. That Pico didn't have a wattage setup in TC (4 clicks in TC mode), the display was skewed and didn't look like the display on my other Picos.

The issue with returning something to China is cost. The cheapest return through USPS is about $60 to $70. That's unacceptable for something I paid $18.97 for on Ebay. The seller refunded my money to Paypal and after more than a month has not required me to return the item.
Amazon and eBay have similar policies iirc: e-cigarette stuff is not allowed at all. Neither seem to actually enforce them in any meaningful way though, unlike actual ecig shops that have age verification systems. The other problem with amazon and eBay is its where the counterfeit stuff seems to mostly come from making a lot of the stuff there flat out unsafe.

Reactions: Opinionated

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
But they still allow products for tobacco use. I had a lanyard with a gutted Smok coil on it and it was removed because the coil had tobacco in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is it the lanyard you included with the tube mod I bought from you a few days ago?

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Yeah but it's not been allowed per eBay policy for years.

People were selling anyway, but if you got reported for it your vape related items would get removed by eBay..

The way eBay looks lately I'd say eBay finally cracked down on it across the board... but their policy isn't any different now than it has been for about 4 years now. (I think that was about when the major policy change was and many/most legitimate vape shops stopped selling on eBay)

Also, PayPal made their change then too, you cannot use PayPal for any vape or tobacco related purchases for about 4 years..
I use paypal to buy all my vape related purchases. Always have. Maybe it's a US only Paypal ban?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
But they still allow products for tobacco use. I had a lanyard with a gutted Smok coil on it and it was removed because the coil had tobacco in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably because according to the government, it's OK to smoke, but vapes are BAD for you.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I use paypal to buy all my vape related purchases. Always have. Maybe it's a US only Paypal ban?
I avoid eBay and Amazon for ecig product purchases because I don’t trust the quality or safety of the ecig products sold there to begin with. There are other things I’ve been ripped off on with eBay/amazon stuff too. Clothes is a big one. It’s very important to check which seller is selling what. The main problem is clothing sizes and production quality.

The places I do purchase ecig stuff generally don’t even allow PayPal as a payment option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread