Vaping activist fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
I was at CVS today and the guy in front of me had 3 boxes of Nicorette patch boxes in his basket. I so wanted to ask him if he'd tried vaping. But, just like I do with other stuff (...), I didn't say anything. I feel like a failure :/

I know I spend plenty of $ on vape stuff, but I can't begin to imagine what he must be spending on these things. And they're probably not satisfying his cravings, certainly not the oral fixation habit. :(

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
I'm always saying things to random people in stores.
One of my favorites is to remind people with small children in their carts that the store has a strict "No refunds" policy on babies, or to ask which aisle they found theirs in.
Haha! My "baby" is almost 16 so I can't fall victim to that anymore, lol
Maybe if it was a smaller crowd. I dunno. Might have been my mood at the time. Next time!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I was at CVS today and the guy in front of me had 3 boxes of Nicorette patch boxes in his basket. I so wanted to ask him if he'd tried vaping. But, just like I do with other stuff (...), I didn't say anything. I feel like a failure :/

I know I spend plenty of $ on vape stuff, but I can't begin to imagine what he must be spending on these things. And they're probably not satisfying his cravings, certainly not the oral fixation habit. :(
    You'll probably use that occasion as practice for your next try:). Maybe get some printouts of the pros of vaping and a starter kit in the meantime.

Heck, he might vape and picked them up for when he can't. Folks here us those and snus and such.

Chin UP!

Just Me

ECF Veteran
    Mar 4, 2010
    Sometimes I talk, sometimes I don't. It depends on the store, the line, the customer in question and my mood.

I might have said, "So, it looks like you're getting off cigarettes, right?" Then a pause...or not, depending on the response or lack thereof. Then, "I smoked about 45 years, tried everything--patches, gum, hypnosis, will power"...maybe another pause, depending. Then, "But I was lucky and found e-cigs...haven't smoked in almost 5 years now."

The problem for that scenario for me at the moment is that there are so many devices on the market (some really awful), that I wouldn't really know where to steer the person even if he/she were willing to listen. After my 6 week stint with egos, I went straight to Provaris, and I'm stuck there, albeit I did progress to building coils. So, I'm a MTL tootle puffer with a Provari 2.5 and a Classic using a Kayfun Mini V3, both of which are practically non-existent now. I don't know what to tell people any more, so I don't talk much these days.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Sometimes you don't have to explain everything VAPING, LOL, just plant the seed. If the guy was buying that many of them, he may be using them to "maintain" his quit, honestly, so sometimes a little... "I vape, it's so much cheaper than pharmaceuticals and I love it," may be all that's needed. If you aren't "Up to date" maybe research the best vape shop in town, then go grab some cards or something.

I will be honest, I rarely talk to ANYONE at the pharmacy, but I *hate* the pharmacy, usually.

Times I will not talk about vaping, though: In front of a smoking mom dragging two toddlers into Walmart (figured she looked busy enough already) and also many, many other times. It does depend on my mood and the circumstances.... I mean, there are times to talk "vape" and there are times to "not." IMHO, as always, but you shouldn't feel like a failure.

Educational handouts are always great, though.

Anna

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    To be honest, I agree with Anna. If he was buying that many boxes of patches, he probably already quit and found that the patch works for him. I'm not one to think vaping is the end all be all for quitting cigarettes. It just happens to be exactly that for me.
    Best guess, he already knows what he needs to know about vaping. He doesn't want to hear my vaping sales pitch any more than I want to hear how wonderful the patch is .

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I don't consider this a failure. I don't want to be approached by anyone telling me how to be "saved" from anything. When standing in line to buy very cheap vodka, a hamburger, a soda or whatever it may be, I don't care to listen to anyone push their approved life changing experience.
    How do you know if his cravings are satisfied, your's weren't, mine weren't, his may be? His choices in spending are his choices, make your choices and leave the poor guy alone.
    I live the signature below.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    You don't have to preach. You can just mention you quit thru vaping if you see someone with a different crutch in their cart. If nothing else it could lead to an entertaining conversation to pass the time in line.

To each their own, Letitia (one of my all time favorite posters), you may have the personality to make such conversation productively. I certainly do not have that skill. So, in keeping with my signature, if you want to encourage others then I am all for it. If you see a very handsome, intelligent, elderly gentleman standing in line with something you want to change - it's me, please don't.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    To each their own, Letitia (one of my all time favorite posters), you may have the personality to make such conversation productively. I certainly do not have that skill. So, in keeping with my signature, if you want to encourage others then I am all for it. If you see a very handsome, intelligent, elderly gentleman standing in line with something you want to change - it's me, please don't.
    I have no intention toward encouragement, simply opening the door. The pleasant conversation can be about anything. Better than just standing there bored. I'm dead sent against changing people. To each there own, keeps life interesting and spicy.

Lacit1707

ECF Veteran
    Nov 12, 2014
    CT
    I don't consider this a failure. I don't want to be approached by anyone telling me how to be "saved" from anything. When standing in line to buy very cheap vodka, a hamburger, a soda or whatever it may be, I don't care to listen to anyone push their approved life changing experience.
    How do you know if his cravings are satisfied, your's weren't, mine weren't, his may be? His choices in spending are his choices, make your choices and leave the poor guy alone.
    I live the signature below.

well, then its obviously a matter of how the conversation is approached....just talk to the guy. hey, those things work for you? were you able to quit? if no, talk about vaping...if yes, talk about how they didnt work for you but thank god you found vaping and have been cig free for 5 years....the topic should never be a lecture.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    well, then its obviously a matter of how the conversation is approached....just talk to the guy. hey, those things work for you? were you able to quit? if no, talk about vaping...if yes, talk about how they didnt work for you but thank god you found vaping and have been cig free for 5 years....the topic should never be a lecture.

Again,...you may have the personality to make such conversation productively. I certainly do not have that skill. So, in keeping with my signature, if you want to encourage others then I am all for it. If you see a very handsome, intelligent, elderly gentleman standing in line with something you want to change - it's me, please don't.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread