Vaping activist fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmskjd

Mar 4, 2016
The problem for that scenario for me at the moment is that there are so many devices on the market (some really awful), that I wouldn't really know where to steer the person even if he/she were willing to listen. After my 6 week stint with egos, I went straight to Provaris, and I'm stuck there, albeit I did progress to building coils. So, I'm a MTL tootle puffer with a Provari 2.5 and a Classic using a kayfun Mini V3, both of which are practically non-existent now. I don't know what to tell people any more, so I don't talk much these days.

I generally tell people that starting with those cheap disposables sold in gas station checkout displays really isn't the way to go. Do some research, watch some videos, and send them the link here. Find out what sounds like a good fit for them and start there. It's better to spend $50 on a simple starter kit than it is to waste money on something designed by tobacco companies intended to make vaping attempts fail so you keep smoking.

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
You know I am a cautious person but most -- not all - like me-- been gone a long time - I sound like I left yesterday and I visit regularly. So far -cross fingers -- I have had good judgement. Did have someone pull a gun on me after he said I cut him off. I was a little too stupid then to be scared and called him every name in the book and thankfully he didn't shoot me.
Holy cr@p!!! I would have peed myself, LOL but I can understand that "'Aw hell no ain't got no time for this BS' attitude :lol:

Reactions: chellie

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
I generally tell people that starting with those cheap disposables sold in gas station checkout displays really isn't the way to go. Do some research, watch some videos, and send them the link here. Find out what sounds like a good fit for them and start there. It's better to spend $50 on a simple starter kit than it is to waste money on something designed by tobacco companies intended to make vaping attempts fail so you keep smoking.
When I first started vaping I bought a couple of those things waiting for stuff to come in the mail, lol. I feel stupid now, of course. I think the last time I went to get one (we're talking 2-3 yrs ago) all they had was zero nic ones. I was like - Huh? What's the point? lol

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Haha! My "baby" is almost 16 so I can't fall victim to that anymore, lol
Maybe if it was a smaller crowd. I dunno. Might have been my mood at the time. Next time!
What about....

Turn your teenager into a baby kit on aisle 5. What's in the kit? one bolt cutter to split their phone in two.... Use this and they'll
a) poo their pants
b) cry
c) gaze at any bright colored light (in search for some unknown text) and
d) they forget to talk (at least to you)

one use will turn your teenager back into a baby. :)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I won't initiate my vaping (or any opinions or beliefs) with strangers or even most most people but if asked I will talk about it. I expect the same from others. I believe that forcing one's opinions and beliefs on others isn't a form of advocacy but educating when asked is. So OP shouldn't feel they weren't an advocate in that situation.

I don't know.. I might disagree some.

I was physically approached by a stranger concerning vaping the first I ever heard of it. A new business had opened up and the owner was going around to all the other businesses giving us his cards and offering smokers discounts on their first set-up. (50% off)

It was a vape shop and the owner was one of those new age hippy types that worry about gluten..

I kind of ignored what he said (it's healthy!) in a big way. He was preaching to a smoker who had tried everything and wasn't interested in yet another useless stop smoking money pit.

I had a coworker who took the guy up on the offer and spent around three hundred on vape gear and began vaping...

He was obnoxious wanting to vape indoors and he preached too.. "oh my god this is so awesome". ..lol..

Well let's face it that particular co-worker I didn't like anyway, so him feeling like he had something to talk to me about really really didn't help vaping's cause any.

Anyway, it wasn't until a year or so later when my health declined did vaping enter my head again, and then i spoke to my doctor and asked her opinion of vaping, and then began upon her recommendation.

I had not heard of vaping prior to the new business owner moving in, and I never heard of it outside of him and my coworker... maybe I lived a sheltered life but those two instances were literally the only thing I had ever heard of or about vaping.

My life revolved around work, doctors appointments, my adult children, my husband, cooking and cleaning and the occasional movie if I had time.

Vaping just never factored in anywhere, and back when I worked I never got online either.. no time.

So, sometimes we are the only exposure people have to vaping and real live successful vapers. No, people might think vaping is weird and not listen to a word we say... but someday when they need it most, it might be the most important thing they ever heard.

The only thing I would caution is to men.. if there is a woman out there that you've hit on a hundred times in a hundred different ways and been shot down each and every time, she is not the person to discuss vaping with... not a receptive crowd right there.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I just send them over to Stormy's Vapor Cellar. It's in the part of the county where I live and shop. I used to get questions from people about how I like it and does it work. Most people don't want to vape themselves, but they have a relative they want to get off cigarettes.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Holy cr@p!!! I would have peed myself, LOL but I can understand that "'Aw hell no ain't got no time for this BS' attitude :lol:
I guess it is the NY'er in me. Some nut-job guy apparently thought I cut him off - maybe I did - who knows?. Next thing I know he is following up right on my tail. I get on the expressway and was in the middle lane going pretty fast and he is still on my tail. Then all of a sudden he pulls into the left lane and opens his window and is screaming at me. So I roll down my window and this guy is just foaming at the mouth and I can't hear what he is saying but I know it is not good. Should have shut up but I said, "Huh, your mother what?". That really set him off. He followed me for over 20 miles and followed me off the ramp, cut me off pulled on my right side this time and he was waving the gun at me. I called him a bunch of names and ended with, "If you are gonna shoot me then just do it --yeah big tough guy has to terrorize a girl - does that make you feel important you **&^ ...blah blah blah and amazingly after my tirade he took off. It did shake me up -- for a New York minute!

So that would not be the kind of person I would knowingly approach about vaping.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I guess you're no longer in NY. If you start pulling out your vape after a saying a friendly Hi you'll probably get hit with pepper spray. Not the same city it used to be. Back then you would have just been shot.
I almost was...once. I have had a few run-ins but way more positive then negative.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
To be honest, I agree with Anna. If he was buying that many boxes of patches, he probably already quit and found that the patch works for him. I'm not one to think vaping is the end all be all for quitting cigarettes. It just happens to be exactly that for me.
Best guess, he already knows what he needs to know about vaping. He doesn't want to hear my vaping sales pitch any more than I want to hear how wonderful the patch is .

7 patches per box= 1 week supply.

Nicorette recommends a 6 week quit cycle =6 boxes.

This isnt sticking up. It's following directions to quit.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
7 patches per box= 1 week supply.

Nicorette recommends a 6 week quit cycle =6 boxes.

This isnt sticking up. It's following directions to quit.

Technically, since stores aren't running out of patches any time soon, most people make purchases like that in accordance with either their paydays or how often they might pass by a drug store. .

Similar to how people buy cigarettes..

Once a week, once every two weeks, or every few days..

In the case of the patches, buying more than two boxes is strange behavior. No one buys their cigarettes in 6 week increments unless there is a clearance sale so you would think the same would hold true for patches.

However, there could have been a sale, in which case, he decided to buy them all..

However, most people won't even do that unless they know for a fact it will work for them. ..

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I guess it is the NY'er in me. Some nut-job guy apparently thought I cut him off - maybe I did - who knows?. Next thing I know he is following up right on my tail. I get on the expressway and was in the middle lane going pretty fast and he is still on my tail. Then all of a sudden he pulls into the left lane and opens his window and is screaming at me. So I roll down my window and this guy is just foaming at the mouth and I can't hear what he is saying but I know it is not good. Should have shut up but I said, "Huh, your mother what?". That really set him off. He followed me for over 20 miles and followed me off the ramp, cut me off pulled on my right side this time and he was waving the gun at me. I called him a bunch of names and ended with, "If you are gonna shoot me then just do it --yeah big tough guy has to terrorize a girl - does that make you feel important you **&^ ...blah blah blah and amazingly after my tirade he took off. It did shake me up -- for a New York minute!

So that would not be the kind of person I would knowingly approach about vaping.

Oh NY stories. A few months ago an amateur bomb maker set off a bomb in one of the corridors of the Times Square subway station during morning rush. Surrounded by lots of people but only injured himself. Yay for not reading the bomb making manual.

Later that morning I spoke to my daughter and asked her if she heard about it. Her response was "Yeah I heard. It screwed up subway service and I was a half hour late to class. Subways in this city suck."

That's how I knew she had returned to her NY roots. Biggest issue with a bomber is messing up your morning commute.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Like the one Virginia always has for anyone who happens to be passing through on their way north? :D

Hahaha... good point.

(While its not our fault you all keep voting for some of the highest taxes in the nation, we do totally appreciate your business, come back again any time..lol... )

Last edited:
Reactions: Asbestos4004

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I gave up road rage some time ago and stories like that help me stick to it (I have my own, "Someone got really enraged for no reason" story, but it's not as interesting as having a gun waved in my face, since my infant was in the car, it was plenty scary for me.

I actually "considered" "accidentally" running those teenage girls over as they were beating against my (locked car doors and windows, fortunately) but there were witnesses about. They "thought" I cut them off that wasn't my intent. LOL.

Fortunately, just as I was making the decision "Do I just run this red light, back up or what?" they dehorded themselves, and drove to gas station nearby. The attendant was like, "Oh, yeah, I know those girls... they're trouble." LOL.

Anna

j3000

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2012
Michigan
Let me see here I'm 6'3 weight 260 pounds covered in tattoos from my chin down short dark hair and a full beard halfway down to my chest. And my seeing eye dog is a pitbull mix, with a big pink spiked collar that's say cricket, most people don't ask me what I'm doing unless they are wearing a badge and gun... LOL

Reactions: chellie

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
It seems to me that interest in vaping keeps increasing.

Without me initiating the conversations - 2 people asked me about vaping. One was a middle-aged woman who smokes analogs and wants to quit. She saw the vape in my hand. She said her local shop was not very helpful. I took about 15 minutes to answer her questions and I recommended this forum to her.

The second person was a young-ish guy. Perhaps I look like a stoner :)....I'm not - but he was asking me about vaping and comparing the inhaling to not legal in all states stuff. I told him that my equipment is for vaping only and he said he wants to vape but he wanted to know how to use it and wanted to know how it compares. He seemed serious but weird so I indulged him for a few minutes.

I must have looked approachable!

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Again,...you may have the personality to make such conversation productively. I certainly do not have that skill. So, in keeping with my signature, if you want to encourage others then I am all for it. If you see a very handsome, intelligent, elderly gentleman standing in line with something you want to change - it's me, please don't.
I know I'm blind in one eye but where (edited) is this signature you keep referring us to? I'm starting to get paranoid wondering what happens to me if I don't find the sig. Beating with a dead fish? Moving the sites ip Addy and not telling me? Or if something good happens like what will I win if I find the sig? Damn y'all are making me think. Sigh my head hurts

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I know I'm blind in one eye but where (Edited) is this signature you keep referring us to? I'm starting to get paranoid wondering what happens to me if I don't find the sig. Beating with a dead fish? Moving the sites ip Addy and not telling me? Or if something good happens like what will I win if I find the sig? Damn y'all are making me think. Sigh my head hurts

In your member settings there is check box to show signatures. It can be found under "settings" then "preferences".
Mine is exceptionally brilliant, you'll want it for your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread