Status
Not open for further replies.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I don't consider this a failure. I don't want to be approached by anyone telling me how to be "saved" from anything.

I agree...unless the person is able to follow up their sales pitch with an organized, coordinated musical number involving the other people in the store and staff, then I'd listen to that. Otherwise, I just prefer to stand there peacefully.

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
I never promote vaping to anyone unless they ask me a question about it. I hate it when people start bugging me about what I should or shouldn't do. So I pretty much keep to myself but if someone asks me? I go above and beyond in telling them everything they want to know and a lot they haven't even asked about. Ask me about anything I am passionate about and I just let open the flood gate and pour as much info out as I can.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
In your member settings there is check box to show signatures. It can be found under "settings" then "preferences".
Mine is exceptionally brilliant, you'll want it for your own.
I probably would but I can't find yours. Either you hid it and sent me looking to mess with my mind (it really doesn't need more messing around) or I posted too many dumb posts and this is how y'all get back. I'm starting to catch on I think ;)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Whenever I consider "approaching" a smoker, I think back to vapers around me. They were really nice and encouraging, I never felt like I was being attacked or anything. They were also honest, I really am thankful for the person who told me, "Anna, it's never going to be the same as smoking, you kind of have to accept that if you want to be a vaper."

If they'd acted like the World Testimonial to vaping, "It's so much better! Heathier! The Flavors! and etc." Well, I suppose if I actively sought OUT that information I may've found it more repugnant and etc. Even if a smoker asks, I don't go nuts about how much I love vaping (now) I do try and give a somewhat honest assessment of the situation, including the fact that it took me a long time to get to that point (about 8 years, I encountered my first vape." I just usually suggest they try it, that they don't have to quit completely right away, but that if they are willing to really try vaping consistently they may wind up surprised by the results (and that some people suffer, others suffer less, etc.)

I sort of feel like a more realistic "This is what it took for ME to feel good, but I'm so glad I suffered through the early part and if needed, I would do so again."

Of course, all we really have to offer is our own experiences, but (IMHO as always) it can be easy to turn smokers off by overpraising the situation, as a smoker, that would have made me think of any vaper who did that as similar to a Jehovah's witness and such. LOL.

I don't discourage, I just talk honestly including the efforts involved, (for me) I kind of figure if I only offer the benefits, it's easy for a smoker to get discouraged if they try vaping and don't go sailing across Swan Lake, or whatever.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was at CVS today and the guy in front of me had 3 boxes of Nicorette patch boxes in his basket. I so wanted to ask him if he'd tried vaping. But, just like I do with other stuff (...), I didn't say anything. I feel like a failure :/

I know I spend plenty of $ on vape stuff, but I can't begin to imagine what he must be spending on these things. And they're probably not satisfying his cravings, certainly not the oral fixation habit. :(

Late to the thread, but I just looked up the CVS price for Nicoderm transdermal patches ... $52.99 for a 2 week supply. Maybe he'll quit soon, but if he uses them for 3 months that's over $300. He could have purchased a high end mod and tank and lots of juice and coils for that amount. If he shopped smartly he could have vaped for a year and then started DIY for more savings.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can get anything you want, from the good old "nicotine quitting hotline" here. LOL, even Chantix, which was lightly offered to me when I called. I HATE big tobacco (LOL they supposedly "fund" all the quit programs in the states) it was like, "Sure, I'll help you stop smoking by KILLING you." I told the dude that I was plenty homicidal and suicidal as it was, but he was like, "It's the only thing you haven't tried."

I gave up on them fast (although yes, I could have gotten 3 months of the patches, um no thanks, I HATE them. For me, I'd have had to wear three a day and no one wants to sign on for that (including me) or just deal with some horrid, crawly withdrawal states, night and day.) If they really wanted the patch to work, they'd at least do some creative "time release," type of stuff, to mimic the curve of "smoking" over the course of a day, so that you had maximum satisfaction at least SOME of the time.

The annoying thing is I got on their email list, and man, I got emails for like, 2 years announcing proudly the "date I had quit" and how was I doing (I never quit).

It was like the worst form of spam email ever, because every time, I thought to myself, "Failure again! Time to go smoke!!!"

I don't particularly trust the "quit lines" so much. They don't really do anything but shove meds and nicotine at you, and then annoy you. My personal "smoking coach" was so annoying I made sure, when he was due to call, I was outside, with plenty of access to cigarettes. LOL, I would tell him, "I'm ZONING!" every time he asked how I was doing. Because, me, my smoking coach, and the bench in the courtyard where I worked spent some quality time together.

Just, ah, saying.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I vape in public graciously so that I don't offend anyone. I turn my wattage down to 7 or 8 watts and blow vapor under the table in restaurants that don't have a no vaping sign. In 8 years of vaping no one has complained, but lots of people ask questions. Most have a brother, BIL, or some relative that really needs to quit smoking, but won't try.

I tell my story and give them a link to ECF. The first week I vaped I realized at the end of the week that I was only smoking after a meal (down from 2 PAD). Vaping was new and sexy and 24mg juice was providing all the nic I needed. I just ignored cigarettes without trying.

I continued on that path for a year. On my one year vaping anniversary I made a deal with myself. I'd buy a Provari and when it came in I'd finish the last pack and never buy another. THAT WORKED!

It's 8 years later and I haven't spent a dime on tobacco since then. The cool part was that I never looked back when I finished that last pack. I haven't smoked since that day. I've been around people smoking and guess what ... it really does stink!

I tried quitting cold turkey several times and went for two years once without smoking. I'd sit there after a meal and tap my fingers or play with straws to give my hands something to do. The triggers were there and my brain wanted a smoke. During a trying time in my life I bought a pack and was hooked again. Vaping finally fixed that problem for good.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
If someone asks, I'll answer. If no one asks, I remain silent.

Whenever I consider "approaching" a smoker, I think back to vapers around me. They were really nice and encouraging, I never felt like I was being attacked or anything. They were also honest, I really am thankful for the person who told me, "Anna, it's never going to be the same as smoking, you kind of have to accept that if you want to be a vaper."

If they'd acted like the World Testimonial to vaping, "It's so much better! Heathier! The Flavors! and etc." Well, I suppose if I actively sought OUT that information I may've found it more repugnant and etc. Even if a smoker asks, I don't go nuts about how much I love vaping (now) I do try and give a somewhat honest assessment of the situation, including the fact that it took me a long time to get to that point (about 8 years, I encountered my first vape." I just usually suggest they try it, that they don't have to quit completely right away, but that if they are willing to really try vaping consistently they may wind up surprised by the results (and that some people suffer, others suffer less, etc.)

I sort of feel like a more realistic "This is what it took for ME to feel good, but I'm so glad I suffered through the early part and if needed, I would do so again."

Of course, all we really have to offer is our own experiences, but (IMHO as always) it can be easy to turn smokers off by overpraising the situation, as a smoker, that would have made me think of any vaper who did that as similar to a Jehovah's witness and such. LOL.

I don't discourage, I just talk honestly including the efforts involved, (for me) I kind of figure if I only offer the benefits, it's easy for a smoker to get discouraged if they try vaping and don't go sailing across Swan Lake, or whatever.

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I no longer have any idea what you are talking (or typing) about, nor do I care.

I probably would but I can't find yours. Either you hid it and sent me looking to mess with my mind (it really doesn't need more messing around) or I posted too many dumb posts and this is how y'all get back. I'm starting to catch on I think ;)

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's funny that there are lots of vapers in America and my area has enough vape shops that there's no reason people aren't aware of vaping, yet you don't see people vaping in public much. I get that vaping isn't welcome most places, but letting people see vaping happening is one of the ways we can educate the public.

OTOH, the more people quit smoking the fewer there are to convert. Eventually, America will be smoke and vape free, but probably not in my lifetime.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
It's funny that there are lots of vapers in America and my area has enough vape shops that there's no reason people aren't aware of vaping, yet you don't see people vaping in public much. I get that vaping isn't welcome most places, but letting people see vaping happening is one of the ways we can educate the public.

OTOH, the more people quit smoking the fewer there are to convert. Eventually, America will be smoke and vape free, but probably not in my lifetime.

I can’t say about everywhere, but I’ve heard it said in my area, and experienced it myself, that vapers get harassed.

Strangers may give a dirty look to smokers but not say anything, although the locals are mostly not terribly confrontational, they seem to feel free to say the dumbest things to vapers. These are the kind of people who believe anything if they see it in a meme.

I’m a little gray haired granny, and I’ve had a few bullies. Fortunately, I don’t intimidate easily (I’m not a NYer, but I was born in NJ) So when some jerk comes up and says “Oh you’re so cool, smoking your Swiffer fluid” ( yes, someone actually said that) I said, “If I wanted to hear from an a**hole, I’d have farted.”

Most people find it easier not to make a target of themselves though.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
In the great and dwindling tobacco growing state of Georgia vaping generally gets a pass from onlookers. We have more than our share of the tobacco ANTZ crowd, though. Most people who actually notice and mention my vaping want to know if it works to quit smoking. Most of those have a relative who needs to switch. I send them to ECF and the local vape shop, Stormy's Vapor Cellar.

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
I can’t say about everywhere, but I’ve heard it said in my area, and experienced it myself, that vapers get harassed.

Strangers may give a dirty look to smokers but not say anything, although the locals are mostly not terribly confrontational, they seem to feel free to say the dumbest things to vapers. These are the kind of people who believe anything if they see it in a meme....
Almost 3 yrs ago when I started vaping - mind you, on a MTL device, so very little vapor - I was walking through a parking lot (this was before smoking and vaping were illegal in all the surrounding areas).. And this lady was walking in my direction... She literally GASPED in shock and disgust and fired a glaring look my way, as though I were blowing asbestos in her direction or something ( I was actually aiming the other way, but you know how the wind goes). My son was with me (he was about 12 at the time) and we literally laughed our &^%s off. I mean seriously, a person walking down the street is harmed more by the exhaust from hundreds of vehicles driving down the road than by e-cig vapor. GEEZ - the propaganda has truly brainwashed people. It's amazing.

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
.....So when some jerk comes up and says “Oh you’re so cool, smoking your Swiffer fluid” ( yes, someone actually said that) I said, “If I wanted to hear from an a**hole, I’d have farted.”
HAHAHAHA!!!! :lol::laugh::headbang:
That's hysterical. I'm totally stealing that :p

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
OMG ,@LyLyV , you got the psychosomatic reaction to vapor. LOL. My favorite symptom of that is the "fake" cough. It even SOUNDS fake but man, I'd so much rather have someone come up and confront me than that passive aggressive behavior, at least then I have a chance of "educating" them, or even you know, actually attempting to educate them.

They've already been "educated" though by our lovely media and etc. I still prefer someone to get in my face about it than offer up the fake cough although I do find it extraordinarily amusing in sort of a sad, sorry way.

Anna

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
My recent activist experience was hearing someone effeminately yelling "Yooooohoooo...Yooohoooo!" to me. I turned to see a portly fellow in yellow capri pants (yes, capri pants on a guy) with a pink belt and a way way too tight (for someone of his size) brown polo shirt . He said lispily "Would you like to support yada yada yada, they do tons of great stuff?" I was pretty sure I was against whatever he was for and so I said "Do they support the fair trade practises? Yes? Well then no. Coffee tastes better when it's brewed with the tears of a poor colombian peasant farmer."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread