Vaping activist fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at CVS today and the guy in front of me had 3 boxes of Nicorette patch boxes in his basket. I so wanted to ask him if he'd tried vaping. But, just like I do with other stuff (...), I didn't say anything. I feel like a failure :/ I, as well as someone else stated, have a tendency to make small chat when I'm in line. Not all the time but in this situation, I would have done so immediately. I am proud to be a vaporer. The media has scared the daylights out of people to even try vaping, that so many people are uninformed. It's okay if you didn't feel comfortable talking to him, some people just don't. I wouldn't beat myself up too much. Just take it as a learning lesson to do so next time.

I know I spend plenty of $ on vape stuff, but I can't begin to imagine what he must be spending on these things. And they're probably not satisfying his cravings, certainly not the oral fixation habit. :(

Leopards

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2016
NE Ohio
You'll probably use that occasion as practice for your next try:). Maybe get some printouts of the pros of vaping and a starter kit in the meantime.

Heck, he might vape and picked them up for when he can't. Folks here us those and snus and such.

Chin UP!
I carry a tin of Wintergtreen ZYN 6mg snus (with no tobacco, just some food grade ingredients and nicotine), around in my pocket for those times I am trapped for hours in a place where I can't vape!

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I'm originally from New York so I'm pretty much an extrovert. I can usually "read" if someone does not want to be bothered. If they seem "approachable" I will say "Hi" and let them know that I smoked for over 30 years (closer to 40 in reality) and now vape and I show them my vape. And not that I am so gorgeous or anything but I've been told numerous times that I look pretty young (I was 11 when I started) so that usually opens up the conversation - "YOU smoked for almost 30 years - you look so young - how old are you?". So then I provide my lie age :) and then ask if they are interested in switching.

I've had more than one person really ask me a lot of questions - things that I wanted to know back then and I show them the battery, the tank etc. I even met a few nice people that I took their address down and sent them some of the older stuff I had. Others have asked me to write down what I just showed them.

So it depends on the person but yes I have approached folks.

Last edited:

skyboxer1968

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2015
Illinois
I was at CVS today and the guy in front of me had 3 boxes of Nicorette patch boxes in his basket. I so wanted to ask him if he'd tried vaping. But, just like I do with other stuff (...), I didn't say anything. I feel like a failure :/

I know I spend plenty of $ on vape stuff, but I can't begin to imagine what he must be spending on these things. And they're probably not satisfying his cravings, certainly not the oral fixation habit. :(
Perhaps an inquiry to see if that's working for him first. If it is, then it's a matter of "whatever keeps you off the smokes".
Or if you wanted to argue, you could accuse him of buying a tobacco product like people do us, even if we vape 0mg!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm originally from New York so I'm pretty much an extrovert. I can usually "read" if someone does not want to be bothered. If they seem "approachable" I will say "Hi" and let them know that I smoked for over 30 years (closer to 40 in reality) and now vape and I show them my vape. And not that I am so gorgeous or anything but I've been told numerous times that I look pretty young (I was 11 when I started) so that usually opens up the conversation - "YOU smoked for almost 30 years - you look so young - how old are you?". So then I provide my lie age :) and then ask if they are interested in switching.

I've had more than one person really ask me a lot of questions - things that I wanted to know back then and I show them the battery, the tank etc. I even met a few nice people that I took their address down and sent them some of the older stuff I had. Others have asked me to write down what I just showed them.

So it depends on the person but yes I have approached folks.

PS anyone reading this I have 2 100 ML bottles of Milk Loops 3 mg eliquid from flavor shack (Milk Loops (100ml)) and a 30ml bottle of Capone (Capone | Best Cereal Vape Juice | The Sauce LA) - they are cereal flavored --yuk -- and I do not want them. Never used. Before I trash them -- hate to do that --if someone wants all or one or whatever send me a message and I will mail to you)

I guess you're no longer in NY. If you start pulling out your vape after a saying a friendly Hi you'll probably get hit with pepper spray. Not the same city it used to be. Back then you would have just been shot.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Well he can patch at work. No stealth vaping required. Seriously though those patches are pricey
I'm pretty sure I'd have more money in the bank if the patch worked for me. I wouldn't be on the Patch Forum looking for the next great patch.
"Wow, have you guys tried the new adhesive from Sweden ? I think I've finally found the perfect....stickyness!"

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
The thought is nice but I disagree. You are not a failure.
Some people may not like that.
I know people who have quit with spray and patches.
My father is one and he would not liked to be approached about vaping. Kind of used to it because of me and tried it, didn’t like it.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
I won't initiate my vaping (or any opinions or beliefs) with strangers or even most most people but if asked I will talk about it. I expect the same from others. I believe that forcing one's opinions and beliefs on others isn't a form of advocacy but educating when asked is. So OP shouldn't feel they weren't an advocate in that situation.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I guess you're no longer in NY. If you start pulling out your vape after a saying a friendly Hi you'll probably get hit with pepper spray. Not the same city it used to be. Back then you would have just been shot.
You know I am a cautious person but most -- not all - like me-- been gone a long time - I sound like I left yesterday and I visit regularly. So far -cross fingers -- I have had good judgement. Did have someone pull a gun on me after he said I cut him off. I was a little too stupid then to be scared and called him every name in the book and thankfully he didn't shoot me.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
I'm pretty sure I'd have more money in the bank if the patch worked for me. I wouldn't be on the Patch Forum looking for the next great patch.
"Wow, have you guys tried the new adhesive from Sweden ? I think I've finally found the perfect....stickyness!"

Patches do work! Not so much to quit smoking, but they help immensely with the very important "quitting without murdering your loved ones with an ax part". I should know did it about five times:rolleyes: As to the expense, scissors are your friend once you are ready to step down.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I think I'd be violating forum rules to spell it out, but chances are good that if someone is buying a large quantity of nicotine patches, they won't be using them to kick a smoking habit. There's a scam going on where very different kinds of patches that look very similar can be made to look like each other.

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
I think a significant number of people at the pharmacy don't want to engage in discussion with strangers the contents of their shopping baskets - I'm definitely one of them
Yeah, maybe if he had been chosen chatting and he brought it up, but I never want anyone to feel like I'm snooping their basket.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You know I am a cautious person but most -- not all - like me-- been gone a long time - I sound like I left yesterday and I visit regularly. So far -cross fingers -- I have had good judgement. Did have someone pull a gun on me after he said I cut him off. I was a little too stupid then to be scared and called him every name in the book and thankfully he didn't shoot me.

Well there you go. You are a NYer when you curse out someone pulling a gun on you. :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I was at CVS today and the guy in front of me had 3 boxes of Nicorette patch boxes in his basket. I so wanted to ask him if he'd tried vaping. But, just like I do with other stuff (...), I didn't say anything. I feel like a failure :/

I Wouldn't feel all that bad.

If someone asked me about it, Sure, I'll spend as much time as they Want and I have and tell them what I know. But if they Don't, well, then it kinda depends on the Person.

Something I will do though, especially if I'm standing in a Long Line, is do the "Test Comment". I'll say something like "Man this Line seems to be going Slow". Or "Why is the Line always Long when you have a Lot of Places to go?".

I can usually tell by the response I get if the person is a Talker. And if I get that "cool vacant stare of undue concern", I know that there is No Way they are going to want to hear something about e-Cigarettes.

If I get a Friendly Reply, then I might make a comment about are they trying to Quitting Smoking. And see how that goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread