Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I vaped dead center of a packed theater for 2+ hrs and didnt bother anybody. I do agree w you, but there are always exceptions to the rules.

Well, the comedy club wanted cell phones OFF. Most theatres are happy with vibrate, but prefer you don't open your phone and text (i.e. no lights)

So...maybe if cell phone use is allowed but restricted we should vape without lights and minimal vapor? (Like, maybe turn down the voltage? Hold it in longer?:glare:

Milkshakes

May 2, 2012
philadelphia, pa
I had a few drinks and absentmindedly vaped in a restaurant the other night...which was one place I said I wouldn't as people are eating and any exhaled anything near my food would gross me out lol. Anyways I didn't realize I was even doing it until my sister looked at me in absolute shock. She never smoked and is very supportive about my vaping but still was surprised. No one said anything and I don't see the issue with vaping anywhere unless I was told to stop. In that case I just would stop.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I did not interfere with anybodys viewing experience. That would be ignorant. There is nothing worse in a theatre than idiots distracting from what I paid big $ to see. There was a very pregnant couple directly behind us, so b4 we sat I started to say if you see me exhale its not smoke, and she interrupted me and said oh its no prob go right ahead. So I held it in till it dissipated and then exhaled into my shirt just in case.

Stormlark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2012
Boise
I just had an awesome experience at a Chicago Connection in Boise. My friends and I were waiting for a takeout order, which was a thirty-minute wait. I was considering using my vaporizer since there was almost no one else in the restaurant, but was too chicken to do it. That changed when I saw a waitress walk past us with an e-cig in her mouth. I kinda laughed and said, "I guess it's OK for me to use one of those in here, then?" That started up a great conversation. She had a cheap disposable, so I showed her my 1300mAh battery with a clearomizer. She was blown away. I gave her some information about ECF and some online vendors. It was really cool to see someone else using one indoors.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
I do it in public, discretely, but it seems I don't have the same driving need to vape as I did to smoke. I can have dinner with my family without a nic fit.

I do it while I'm at work (I drive a bus for a non-profit) but again I try to do it discretely. I don't puff too much and I hold it until the vape quiets down to mere wisps so most people don't notice. The only one whose said anything was another vaper :)

I've also done it in front of my boss, and she sniffs, shrugged, and didn't say anything to me, so I guess that's a go. lol

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
If I'm at home, my work office, or in my truck I vape away. If I'm out at a store, restaurant, etc. I generally treat it like cig smoking, and wait until I'm done/outside. Of course, I have vaped in stores and such, and haven't run into any problems. Many times people will ask what it is and I'll end up explaining it a little bit. If I don't feel like doing an explanation, I'll just wait.

Wolf308

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2012
NC
www.into-the-fog.com
I don't usually do it. I vape outdoors all the time (it brings a lot of odd looks when I stop cycling to stretch at the half way point and take a few puffs, LOL!) and I vape at my job (which has actually brought the vapers out of the wood work, people see me and pull theirs out because we're obviously vaper friendly). But in stores... rarely. I never do it at a restaurant or theater other than in the bathroom. I've done it in places like Target only when no one was around. I have nothing against doing it, but I work retail for a living and have people lecturing me and venting at me all day long, I just don't want something else for people to lecture and vent to me about when I'm not working.

Kenny D

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2012
Seymour, CT USA
I don't vape in stores or offices but I do vape outdoors, on the golf course, at bars and at the golf course bar and restaurant. I will always let people around me know that I'm not smoking and I do give them a very short explanation of what it is that I am doing. So far everyone that I tell has no problem with it. In the restaurant I let the others patrons know that it's not smoke and it's a non issue.

Lewis

Jul 13, 2012
UK
I haven't been vaping long (only 2 weeks) but I go to bars and clubs a lot. A couple of places I've asked if it's ok and they've said yes, but I've only done it when it was quiet. If the place is crowded I still go outside to vape. Don't want to spark another terrorist scare like the M6 bus. And I don't vape inside at work but that's mainly because I like to get away from my desk now and again.

Wolf308

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2012
NC
www.into-the-fog.com
And I don't vape inside at work but that's mainly because I like to get away from my desk now and again.

I hear that! I like the idea of not being outside smoking in the rain and the amazing heat we've been having, but I seriously miss going outside and just chilling for a few minutes otherwise.

lettucehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Indiana
This is very true for me also.

My main times to smoke were first thing in the morning, right after I got home from work, and just before bed.

I've realized that I was using smoking for some 'me' time and to have some time just 'being'.
I have a very busy house with 3 kids. They knew not to go near Mom when she's smoking, so it gave me a break.

Now that I'm not smoking, I don't have that break.
I miss it...

I hear that! I like the idea of not being outside smoking in the rain and the amazing heat we've been having, but I seriously miss going outside and just chilling for a few minutes otherwise.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Very funny ...
"Me time" is very important and ya should figure out a way
to get that time back ...
:p
I still take my ecig outside now and then.
I don't need to, but it is something that helps restore me, and one of the biggest reasons I smoked.

And I think the ritual of dripping lends itself very well to simulating the entire "cigarette" experience.

When outside taking breaks and having a smoke (now vaping) I learned a number of things...
--Hummingbirds will hover right in front of you to see what you're up to
--Lizards are very fast, and like to eat spiders
--Bees poop frequently while in flight

It's amazing the things you can see when you sit back, relax, and open your eyes to the world around you.

keenanmcfar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2012
ottawa
I do it all the time and just about everywhere in ottawa, ontario. The exception to this is where it inconvienances others such as on a bus. Last time i did that they stopped the thing and driver had to come to the back where i was. Malls and restuarants and the like are fair game as i see it. No law against it and it doesnt hurt anybody so i will continue.
The other thing is, i actually think its good to do inside and in public so its not associated with smoking. I personally educate 5-15 pple who ask about it per day. Very quickly, but it gets the ball rolling. The people who walk by too im sure will be more likely to conclude that its not smoking as well. Doesnt hurt that i use a lavatube and a dct either im sure. No confusion ther!

GiddyLydia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
Kentucky
I have vaped in several airports, on 4 flights, in restaurants from IHOP to How-Much-Will-You-Pay-For-A-Steak Cafe and any place else where I'm seated. Haven't had a single complaint. Might be partly because I'm reasonably discreet, use a low-vapor mix when I plan ahead, and I use a fairly good-sized e-cig that does NOT look like a cigarette, so it *could* be an inhaler. But I sometimes wonder if the biggest factor might be the general near-invisibility of women 60+!

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
When I started vaping, I was nervous about vaping in public. Even, to a certain extent, in bars.

But now I've been vaping for a year, and I've gotten pretty complacent about it. I vape in restaurants on a regular basis, in bars, wherever I happen to be. I've vaped in front of cops on several occasions. I don't ask permission, I just do it, and it really hasn't been a big deal.

Most of the time I don't stealth vape, but sometimes I do, depending on the situation. If there are kids around, for instance, I don't want to have to explain it. I stealth vaped in the hospital while visiting my mom. In that case, I walked around the corner from her room, where there was a bank of elevators, nobody in sight, and stealth vaped so I wouldn't have a big cloud there if someone walked around the corner.

So far, I've only had one occasion where I was told "You can't do that". And in that situation, it was large bar and the manager had sent an employee over to tell me I couldn't smoke. The employee, naturally, was following his bosses instructions. Once I figured that out and wen to talk to the manager, I didn't even have to explain things. As I was walking up to him, he saw my PV and said "Oh, it's one of those, go ahead, you're fine".

In the Dallas area, there are several vape shops, and I usually carry their business cards. When people ask about my PV, I give them a short explanation, and tell them that I was a heavy smoker and that vaping has been wonderful for me. Then, if they seem at all interested, I give them cards for some of the local vape shops. I like to give them at least 2 different business cards and tell them "I'm not associated with them, and these guys are competitors. I'm just so happy with vaping that I want to help others quit smoking, so I carry their cards".

I give out a lot of business cards. I'll be on my way into a building, someone will be standing outside smoking, and I'll give them a 30 second explanation of vaping and a couple of business cards, then go on about my business.

Last edited:

TulsaClint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2012
Tulsa
In non-smoking facilities, I do it, but only in a restroom, other hidden area away from others eyes. At work (a hospital) I vape around my co-worker who also vapes but never in hallways or areas where others are around. I feel the same as some have said in this thread, that others don't know the difference, and for me it's not worth the stares and evil looks (I don't like drawing attention to myself in public). I don't really think people should be flaunting vaping in public places where it is strictly not allowed. It just brings bad publicity on us.

Otherwise, if smoking is allowed or in an outdoor area where it's allowed, I puff away. I still get the weird looks but for some reason it's entertaining to me then because they can't figure out what I'm doing with that weird contraption in my hand that I'm not using fire to light, and doesn't look like a cig or a pipe. I'm not getting the evil stares from people assuming that I'm smoking in a non-smoking facility or found some loophole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread