Vapor residue on walls, carpet etc. Need help/advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
One's home is one's refuge..one's place to become re-energized from daily stresses. "Home" matters to your health.
Move.
Only rent from a less .... retentive, peaceful, landlords. Tip: Intelligence matters.

Advice like this is....... Priceless!!!! :thumbs:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
if it got to that point:
I would probably contest the eviction in court, the purpose of the no vaping rule was put there "in writing I hope" for the purpose of property degradation, so if they can find explicit vape residue, by means of some of test ??? - I would welcome it.. As long as you can cook in the place, I don't see an eviction notice that would stand up... I don't think they could find nicotine contamination anywhere either, unless juice spilled somewhere..
Maybe the management would come about in their rules..

I wasn't talking about an eviction. I was talking about the security deposit being seized when the OP moves out or extra charges added for damage at that time.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
So I've seen a lot of opinions/posts arguing about what is actually exhaled...I think we need to reach a consensus on that first before anything can or cannot be stated about the residue build up. And I agree if it is possible it's probably no worse than frying food.

Playing devils advocate here but some have stated that they do see some buildup in car windshield but not in home because of the amount of area that it takes to dissipate. Couldn't that mean that's just falling to the carpet and getting vacuumed up?

As minute of the buildup that there might be I'd still actually like to know for sure what is being exhaled before we can so no build up so ever. I've never noticed any but still doesn't mean I don't have a little bit of vg/pg that is lingering in the carpet.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
So I've seen a lot of opinions/posts arguing about what is actually exhaled...I think we need to reach a consensus on that first before anything can or cannot be stated about the residue build up. And I agree if it is possible it's probably no worse than frying food.

Playing devils advocate here but some have stated that they do see some buildup in car windshield but not in home because of the amount of area that it takes to dissipate. Couldn't that mean that's just falling to the carpet and getting vacuumed up?

As minute of the buildup that there might be I'd still actually like to know for sure what is being exhaled before we can so no build up so ever. I've never noticed any but still doesn't mean I don't have a little bit of vg/pg that is lingering in the carpet.

If it's easily wiped off with Windex I doubt it's a serious issue. Not like trying to remove nicotine buildup from walls, etc.

Cr0tchF4i

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
San Diego, CA
For one, I am amazed there are still good honest people out there! I would tell the landlord I wasn't vaping and wouldn't think twice.. yet I don't think i'm a terrible person?

You've seen a ton of documentation from the group which backs the fact that there will not be any residue. I think convincing your landlord will be an uphill battle considering people who do not vape usually do not understand nor care to see the facts.

If it helps I vape in my office all day and have for months without any residue buildup at all. This includes windows, monitor, desk etc...

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
If it's easily wiped off with Windex I doubt it's a serious issue. Not like trying to remove nicotine buildup from walls, etc.
Yeah I get your point and really don't feel too worried about myself. I was just stating that we probably need to come to consensus as to what is actually being exhaled to determine if there is NO residue. And I think it's all the sticky tar build up that was so damn hard to clean off windshields not the nicotine.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Yeah I get your point and really don't feel too worried about myself. I was just stating that we probably need to come to consensus as to what is actually being exhaled to determine if there is NO residue. And I think it's all the sticky tar build up that was so damn hard to clean off windshields not the nicotine.

I'd say there's enough to determine that it DOES leave a slight residue which is only noticeable in confined spaces (i.e. automobiles) and is easily removed with glass cleaner.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
I have had a buildup, very slight though, on the windshield ONLY of my vehicle. I attribute it to blowing the vape forward with windows up. Because I am close to the windshield, it cannot naturally evaporate into the air before hitting the windshield. There has never been the residue on the side windows though. I have now taken to blowing the vape downwards and have not had that residue develope on the windshield. It was just a clear, slightly smeary residue that built up over months of vaping in the car. A single windex sheet took care of it very quickly, unlike when there was smoke residue.

I'm not sure using vehicles is good basis for evaluating any type of residue on windows. I notice in your location it states Florida... given the normal amount of just plain salt in the air that naturally occurs there and constant high humidity... residue on windows inside and out is inevitable. Add all the other crud in the air if you are in a populated area too.

Seems cars may not be a good measure of vapor residue given the environmental elements where you reside.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I've been through this issue repeatedly with my apartment manager over a 12 year period. He know I smoked when I moved in, as did the majority of the tenants, but still made his displeasure known in subtle ways ...

I had completely scrubbed and repainted the walls and ceilings three times myself, at my own expense, with permission from the property owner. Then I got smart and started using a portable steam cleaner, it removed surface residue and refreshed the paint in between paint jobs ...

The last time I steam cleaned the walls in July, I saw absolutely no brown tar residue on the steam cleaner pad, and none in the cotton cloth pads sued to wipe off the excess moisture. I mean absolutely NONE. This was after I had stopped smoking but vaped frequently indoors, without any filtration system and often with the windows closed. I'm convinced there is no detectable impact on the wall or ceiling surfaces from vaping. Any deposits are from normal household activities, cooking, showering, breathing, etc ...

In the car, there are always deposits on the windows from the outgassing of plastics and other synthetics used in the interior components. Even non-smokers have to clean the windows occasionally ...

There was certainly a noticible amount of brown residual deposit, especially on the windshield, when I smoked in the car. Now I see only the thin grey film that is typical for modern materials used in auto construction ...

I've told my apartment manager that I'm no longer a smoker, and his concerns about "damage" are no longer relevant. Even the residue from tobacco smoking is resolved by a coat of paint, something that is typically done between tenants anyway ...

Its like the "second-hand smoke" drama, much ado about nothing ... :blink:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
I have to reply to this now (even though it may have already been addressed) - PG and/or VG is not thermally (with heat) broken down in an ecig atomizer; or if it is, then the atomizer is not operating correctly. A correctly operating atomizer coil will not reach the temperatures required for thermal decomposition of these compounds. What happens in the atomizer is vaporization; think of boiling water - the liquid and the steam are the same compound (water) in different phases (liquid/gas).
For PG/VG to be broken down into H2O and CO2, the temperature in the atomizer would have to reach ~500 C (~930 F).

where are you getting theses numbers from? ~ 500 C? any data to back that up? im happy to entertain anyone's ideas but just saying "your wrong" with out some data to support your claims is not an objective manner in which to have a debate.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Actually, yes you can. The vapor or gas can be trapped on a filter unit which is then attached inline on the Gas Chromatograph (GC). This unit can then be heated to release the gas/vapor and introduced into the GC for analysis. This is just one of the techniques for analysis of gases (vapors) using GC.

sure! that that could work. its the quick and dirty way to get it done. there are better ways. when you heat anything to the point it becomes a vapor you are breaking down the chemical bonds when this happens you run the risk of forming new chemicals, especially if the gases are under pressure well being heated.

Last edited:

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
Appreciate the replies everybody. I personally know that vaping residue (however existent or non-exsistant it is) is no real issue. The <$20 charcoal/carbon air filter I got should be arriving in a few days, and since so many find that residue is nowhere to be found in large areas, and only a minor issue in small condensed areas under certain circumstances, then the air filter I got should 100% contain the vapor without any issue.

My hope is that I can blow a cloud of vapor into the air filter (it should suck it all in) and then see absolutely nothing come out the vents. If this works like I hope it will, then I can demonstrate it to my landlord, which should be enough for him to let me vape indoors again. I can also use some of the responses here as first-hand experiences from others to help 'sweeten' the deal. :)

Giant Squid

Aug 24, 2013
UK
when you heat anything to the point it becomes a vapor you are breaking down the chemical bonds when this happens you run the risk of forming new chemicals, especially if the gases are under pressure well being heated.

Heating something to the point it becomes a vapor is simply boiling it. It's unrelated to breaking of chemical bonds. The temperature at which something boils and the temperature at which chemical bonds start breaking are two different things. PG has a low enough boiling point that it will vape well before chemical bonds start breaking. VG has a higher boiling point, but even with VG most will become vapor before any chemical bonds break. In the case of flavorings you're mostly dealing with unknowns.

I vape 100% unflavored PG.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Heating something to the point it becomes a vapor is simply boiling it. It's unrelated to breaking of chemical bonds. The temperature at which something boils and the temperature at which chemical bonds start breaking are two different things. PG has a low enough boiling point that it will vape well before chemical bonds start breaking. VG has a higher boiling point, but even with VG most will become vapor before any chemical bonds break. In the case of flavorings you're mostly dealing with unknowns.

I vape 100% unflavored PG.

FACE PALM im done! this is why i wont teach H.S. Chemistry.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If I was a landlord, and I am, I would encourage my tenants to vape in my rental units.
Given that propylene glycol is good at killing mold, I would love for them to vape in every room as often as possible.

I can tell you from first hand experience that if there is one thing a landlord doesn't want, it's mold.
Mold costs a LOT of money, and I mean a LOT of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread