Status
Not open for further replies.

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
The mailman delivered my Vortex order today,,,,the most anticipated and impatiently awaked new vaping accessory I can remember for me since the arrival of my first e-cig,
I only ordered a single 5 pack of 2.7 ohm Vortex and may try to order a lower ohm one next time as well as these,
First the negative,
The wait was too long,
Also I don't like the soft rubber tip, It is uncomfortable to me because it feels insecure since often I grip my e-cig between my teeth while working with both hands. Also when I put my PV in my pocket and then took it out later, the mouthpiece came off in my pocket, Good thing I wasn't sitting or had it upside down in my pocket or I would have had a couple of ml of juice running down my pants, I laid it on my workspace later and noticed that without moving it, the mouthpiece started to work it's way out of the tube, Later, I had it in my pocket again when I went to the bathroom and upon taking it out (the PV), the mouthpiece fell right into the toilet. Not good.
I put a delrin drip in it's place and it has worked fine and fitted perfectly.
On to the review:
VERY easy to fill,,,you can simply drip down the side of the carto to fill it up and because it is clear you can see when it is full,,,and it holds a ton of juice.
I tried it with my Riva 901, a 510 flashlight mod with an adapter, a V2 battery and a generic auto battery,
Vapor production is incredible, (KBV Snickerdoodle, one of my favorites),,,and very consistent,
Taste is excellent,,,again, and very consistent while normally I notice a fall off of flavor from my Snickerdoodle as I vape it,
Warm full mouthful of vapor and mild throat hit although with my generic 808 which normally is a bit harsh for me, the th is wonderful,
Most of all, all of the experiences are consistent and consistently good and fulfilling, Great Vapor, Great flavor,,,good th,
I am confused with people saying they get a burnt taste, I have tried to kill this carto and can't do it. I've hit 10 sec drags one after another and besides warming the vapor more, everything else remains the same wonderful experience,
I have now finally drained my Vortex by vaping several hours and still can't get a burned taste from it, Seriously, I don't know what the other people are talking about because I absolutely cannot burn it.
One other thing, Because there is no filler, should you fill it with something and decide that isn't what you really wanted. just take off the mouthpiece and pour the juice back in the bottle. Then refill.
I haven't tried to clean this one yet,,,,I think it will be easy and work well for a long time if the atty lasts in it,
Bottom line, I love it,,,it is the most consistent and longest lasting vape I've experienced and love the way the vapor and flavor stays the same throughout the entire carto fill, Amazing,
Just lose the mouthpiece, Very, very bad,

I'm off to GotVapes to order some more,,,along with some more drip tips,

UPDATE:
I just tried my Vortex with a 5V passthru and found it a bit hot for me but I'm finding everything hot and harsh at 5V lately so those of you into the higher voltages may love it, It still delivers everything as advertised,,,just too hot and harsh at 5V like everything else lately for me.
I emptied the carto and filled it with one of my DIY's that I love,,,,100%VG Chocolate-Hazelnut-Expresso @ 20mg N.......
Absolutely wonderful, Overvaping the VG makes it hot but still doesn't give me a burned taste at all,
I think the Vortex is wonderful,
IMHO

Awesome post Intriqken!, thanks for the heads up. Cannot wait. I've run out of cartys and am using the last legs of one, and its horrible. but its either that or a real cig, and i havent had a real cig since april 6, so i'm inhaling this crappy thing til these come.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
When Chris and I first began workign with these we were like, "Is this for real?"...and we kept vaping and vaping them, two different beta and consistently FANTASTIC performance. We were excited to get it out to the folks and we pushed and pushed for fastest delivery while at the same time have a sensitivity to let them do their work with our input so the product was released in due time. We spent countless hours with them, HOURS, going over any issues and actually providing input and they'd come back later in the day and show us mock-ups for some issues we'd adress, etc..we were pretty active with them on this. They were very patient with our cajoling, but just to let you know we didn't mean to make ya wait so long : )

What amazed Chris and I is we couldn't hit it dry, hard as we might, chain vaping. We were practically giddy. At one point during the testing process we had them send the next batch of samples directly to me so I could photograph and produce a 'coming soon' video and I would have much fun showing it to Chris on cam and vaping in his face before I expressed his stash of the sample : )

You encapsulated here in your post what Chris and I felt from day one. Appreciate the post and the time it took to give us a full report...

The mailman delivered my Vortex order today,,,,the most anticipated and impatiently awaked new vaping accessory I can remember for me since the arrival of my first e-cig,
I only ordered a single 5 pack of 2.7 ohm Vortex and may try to order a lower ohm one next time as well as these,
First the negative,
The wait was too long,
Also I don't like the soft rubber tip, It is uncomfortable to me because it feels insecure since often I grip my e-cig between my teeth while working with both hands. Also when I put my PV in my pocket and then took it out later, the mouthpiece came off in my pocket, Good thing I wasn't sitting or had it upside down in my pocket or I would have had a couple of ml of juice running down my pants, I laid it on my workspace later and noticed that without moving it, the mouthpiece started to work it's way out of the tube, Later, I had it in my pocket again when I went to the bathroom and upon taking it out (the PV), the mouthpiece fell right into the toilet. Not good.
I put a delrin drip in it's place and it has worked fine and fitted perfectly.
On to the review:
VERY easy to fill,,,you can simply drip down the side of the carto to fill it up and because it is clear you can see when it is full,,,and it holds a ton of juice.
I tried it with my Riva 901, a 510 flashlight mod with an adapter, a V2 battery and a generic auto battery,
Vapor production is incredible, (KBV Snickerdoodle, one of my favorites),,,and very consistent,
Taste is excellent,,,again, and very consistent while normally I notice a fall off of flavor from my Snickerdoodle as I vape it,
Warm full mouthful of vapor and mild throat hit although with my generic 808 which normally is a bit harsh for me, the th is wonderful,
Most of all, all of the experiences are consistent and consistently good and fulfilling, Great Vapor, Great flavor,,,good th,
I am confused with people saying they get a burnt taste, I have tried to kill this carto and can't do it. I've hit 10 sec drags one after another and besides warming the vapor more, everything else remains the same wonderful experience,
I have now finally drained my Vortex by vaping several hours and still can't get a burned taste from it, Seriously, I don't know what the other people are talking about because I absolutely cannot burn it.
One other thing, Because there is no filler, should you fill it with something and decide that isn't what you really wanted. just take off the mouthpiece and pour the juice back in the bottle. Then refill.
I haven't tried to clean this one yet,,,,I think it will be easy and work well for a long time if the atty lasts in it,
Bottom line, I love it,,,it is the most consistent and longest lasting vape I've experienced and love the way the vapor and flavor stays the same throughout the entire carto fill, Amazing,
Just lose the mouthpiece, Very, very bad,

I'm off to GotVapes to order some more,,,along with some more drip tips,

UPDATE:
I just tried my Vortex with a 5V passthru and found it a bit hot for me but I'm finding everything hot and harsh at 5V lately so those of you into the higher voltages may love it, It still delivers everything as advertised,,,just too hot and harsh at 5V like everything else lately for me.
I emptied the carto and filled it with one of my DIY's that I love,,,,100%VG Chocolate-Hazelnut-Expresso @ 20mg N.......
Absolutely wonderful, Overvaping the VG makes it hot but still doesn't give me a burned taste at all,
I think the Vortex is wonderful,
IMHO

naviathan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Stella, NC
corepcsolutions.com
My first pack so far hasn't been perfect. I pulled one out of the pack, filled and threw it on my eGo pass thru. It had a very light hit, but decent vapor. My juice is a home mix 70/30 PG/VG with LorAnn super strength flavors. The first one out was ok for a couple of hits then it started getting hot and dry. Shortly after it started leaking around the base. I noticed when I screwed it on the tube spun a bit like the CE2 does, but I didn't think anything of it since the CE2 doesn't leak. Well, these don't have the seal like the CE2 and if they don't have enough of whatever "glue" (it's not glue, just a sticky substance that feels and smells like a food grade sealant) they will leak. So as a good tester I started pulling all of them out. Of the ones in the pack I've got 2 with very little glue around the base and the connector shifts around easily, indicating they will leak, 1 with a crack in the tube at the base and 1 with an offset cut tube where it doesn't flush with bottom rim of the connector all the way around, but it looks like it will work ok. I haven't tried either of the two that look like they will work yet.
From an engineering stand point the theory is solid, the application of it looks good (I'm not a fan of the filler type wrap around the coil cup) but the quality control seems iffy. I'm still working on a full review and possibly an initial mod for fun. I like them, I just don't like the varying quality control.
Keep in mind, I'm very picky when I go through a product. Don't take my comments as gospel, Chris knows I can be hard one to get a product through. Even though they work out of the pack, I still mod every CE2-X I pull out, even if it's just the fill ring.
On a good note, I'm loving my ePower! The threads on the tube could use some oil or grease of some kind, and for some reason it randomly flashes as though it's saying the battery is dead when it's clearly not, but it vapes beautifully. I love it!

Mr.Self_Destruct

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2010
Queens, NY
I pulled out the wicking material that wraps around the carto that feeds the 2 wick points on the sides of the carto. Initially for 2 - 3 hits it was better. I started to get dry hits again. I left it sitting on my desk loaded onto a Riva, standing up overnight. When I tried it this morning I only got dry hits from it.

I'm glad I was skeptical enough to only buy one pack.

I really did want these to work, and really thought they would.

sluers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Shrewsbury, PA
I have used my Vortex on my eGo battery and my Mod @ 4.2V. I'm using a 75/25 mix. On the eGo, the Vortex is working good. Good flavor, vapor, and TH. And I am back to back vaping. No dry hits. On my mod, OMG what a difference. I am on my 5th refill and the Vortex is still going strong. I really don't want to put it down. It's like when I first started vaping! So far no issues with leaking or dry hits. And like I have already stated, I am back to back vaping. I don't know what the life time is on the Vortex Carto, but I am half way through my 5th fill and its still working as well as it did from the get-go. I haven't even picked up my eGo Tank since I started using the Vortex. Chris or Dan, what has been your experience regarding the lifetime of one carto? Also, any chance of making the Vortex bigger, say 2mls? And, are you working with your distributer to come up with some kind of stopper so the juice will not leak out if it should accidentally be turned over?

The Vortex is so much better than any Carto, CE2, or Tank System, I have used so far. Thanks Got Vapes!

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Thansk Nav...on the ePower the 'random' flashes are an indication that the voltage has dipped below 3.7v...the PCB switch still regulates it up to 3.7v but its sort of an indicator that you may want to switch batteries soon. The threading is a little rough at first on the cones but after one or two threads it gets very smooth...

My first pack so far hasn't been perfect. I pulled one out of the pack, filled and threw it on my eGo pass thru. It had a very light hit, but decent vapor. My juice is a home mix 70/30 PG/VG with LorAnn super strength flavors. The first one out was ok for a couple of hits then it started getting hot and dry. Shortly after it started leaking around the base. I noticed when I screwed it on the tube spun a bit like the CE2 does, but I didn't think anything of it since the CE2 doesn't leak. Well, these don't have the seal like the CE2 and if they don't have enough of whatever "glue" (it's not glue, just a sticky substance that feels and smells like a food grade sealant) they will leak. So as a good tester I started pulling all of them out. Of the ones in the pack I've got 2 with very little glue around the base and the connector shifts around easily, indicating they will leak, 1 with a crack in the tube at the base and 1 with an offset cut tube where it doesn't flush with bottom rim of the connector all the way around, but it looks like it will work ok. I haven't tried either of the two that look like they will work yet.
From an engineering stand point the theory is solid, the application of it looks good (I'm not a fan of the filler type wrap around the coil cup) but the quality control seems iffy. I'm still working on a full review and possibly an initial mod for fun. I like them, I just don't like the varying quality control.
Keep in mind, I'm very picky when I go through a product. Don't take my comments as gospel, Chris knows I can be hard one to get a product through. Even though they work out of the pack, I still mod every CE2-X I pull out, even if it's just the fill ring.
On a good note, I'm loving my ePower! The threads on the tube could use some oil or grease of some kind, and for some reason it randomly flashes as though it's saying the battery is dead when it's clearly not, but it vapes beautifully. I love it!

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
The capacity will probably stay where it is for a bit, when and if we have an opportunity for a bigger unit we'll keep everyone informed....glad you are liking it!

I have used my Vortex on my eGo battery and my Mod @ 4.2V. I'm using a 75/25 mix. On the eGo, the Vortex is working good. Good flavor, vapor, and TH. And I am back to back vaping. No dry hits. On my mod, OMG what a difference. I am on my 5th refill and the Vortex is still going strong. I really don't want to put it down. It's like when I first started vaping! So far no issues with leaking or dry hits. And like I have already stated, I am back to back vaping. I don't know what the life time is on the Vortex Carto, but I am half way through my 5th fill and its still working as well as it did from the get-go. I haven't even picked up my eGo Tank since I started using the Vortex. Chris or Dan, what has been your experience regarding the lifetime of one carto? Also, any chance of making the Vortex bigger, say 2mls? And, are you working with your distributer to come up with some kind of stopper so the juice will not leak out if it should accidentally be turned over?

The Vortex is so much better than any Carto, CE2, or Tank System, I have used so far. Thanks Got Vapes!

naviathan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Stella, NC
corepcsolutions.com
Thansk Nav...on the ePower the 'random' flashes are an indication that the voltage has dipped below 3.7v...the PCB switch still regulates it up to 3.7v but its sort of an indicator that you may want to switch batteries soon. The threading is a little rough at first on the cones but after one or two threads it gets very smooth...

Hey Danno, it flashes quite often it seems. It flashed after a few hits on a battery fresh off the charger. Although I seem to be seeing them less and less today as opposed to yesterday. Maybe it's just breaking in...lol

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Liking it overall though ??? I just put up 14500 tubes we got made for this too...

Hey Danno, it flashes quite often it seems. It flashed after a few hits on a battery fresh off the charger. Although I seem to be seeing them less and less today as opposed to yesterday. Maybe it's just breaking in...lol

naviathan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Stella, NC
corepcsolutions.com
Ok, had the day off today so I spent the morning messing around the with Vortex cartos. Two things I've noted for sure.

1. They wick MUCH better without the filler material wrapped around the base of the cup.

2. They have a vacuum issue.

I experimented with taking apart the unit and removing the filler. The wick fills the slots nicely when the cup is reinstalled so there didn't seem to be a lot of leaking, even with my 70/30 juice. I did notice I would get a couple of good hits then it's dry again. If I removed the rubber tip bubbles would pop up from the wick slot and I could see the wick get wetter. So for those getting dry hits, try removing the mouth piece and leaving it out for a bit then try again. They need to work on the tube size and the base. Sealant, food grade or not, isn't an option. Especially if only half of them get enough to seal the tube. I think the cup needs to either be reduced in size or have indents from the top down to the slots to aid juice in getting to the wick better. There just doesn't seem to be enough room for the juice to get between the tube and cup, especially for thicker juices.
Just my observations so far. Hope this helps someone.

naviathan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Stella, NC
corepcsolutions.com
Ok, had the day off today so I spent the morning messing around the with Vortex cartos. Two things I've noted for sure.

1. They wick MUCH better without the filler material wrapped around the base of the cup.

2. They have a vacuum issue.

I experimented with taking apart the unit and removing the filler. The wick fills the slots nicely when the cup is reinstalled so there didn't seem to be a lot of leaking, even with my 70/30 juice. I did notice I would get a couple of good hits then it's dry again. If I removed the rubber tip bubbles would pop up from the wick slot and I could see the wick get wetter. So for those getting dry hits, try removing the mouth piece and leaving it out for a bit then try again. They need to work on the tube size and the base. Sealant, food grade or not, isn't an option. Especially if only half of them get enough to seal the tube. I think the cup needs to either be reduced in size or have indents from the top down to the slots to aid juice in getting to the wick better. There just doesn't seem to be enough room for the juice to get between the tube and cup, especially for thicker juices.
Just my observations so far. Hope this helps someone.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Yes on the ePOWER it has a 10-12 second cut-off but then you can release and it first right back up again. They spec out actually at a 12 second cut-off...

I figured out why it was flashing. Apparently I take too long of a hit. I didn't realize I was hitting it for 10 seconds causing the cutoff to kick in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread