whats so great about provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellysleep

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
Lynchburg,VA,USA
Too many "assumption experts" lately telling us why we wasted our money on an outdated, overpriced battery tube.....
It is getting old, but I guess they need something to do......vamo threads must be slow.?,.?

But I love my outdated, overpriced battery tube in fact so much I bought two plus the Provape 1 and planning when I can afford another...............:laugh:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Now wheres that popcorn???
popcorn_soda1.jpg .................................

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
No difference in the vape. Set your Innokin device on 4.1V and your Provari on 4.1V and you'll get the same vape. You're paying for the support behind the product, in my opinion. If I broke one of my Innokin mods or it just stopped working after a while, I'd just throw it away. I consider them to be very well performing devices and great "bang for the buck", but disposable. If you break a Provari or it stops working, you can send it back for replacement or repair. If you have questions about the Provari, you can email or call and talk directly to the manufacturer. For many people, that's worth the difference in cost.

That being said, I'd like to see them update the device soon. It's getting a little long in the tooth and some newer devices have better features. Again, that's just my opinion.

I have to politely disagree with you here. I find a huge difference in the vape. Most of my devices have to be nearly 4V for flavor & vapor to come thru whereas on the ProVari I need the voltage to be lower.

Sent from a BIG phone.....Galaxy Note 3

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I have to politely disagree with you here. I find a huge difference in the vape. Most of my devices have to be nearly 4V for flavor & vapor to come thru whereas on the ProVari I need the voltage to be lower.

Sent from a BIG phone.....Galaxy Note 3

Also disagree with this remark which was clearly made by someone that hasn't used those two devices side by side - the vape's totally different.

33.3hz vs filtered - two seperate animals.

Politely disagree with both those comments. Taste is subjective, but I do use a ProVari side by side with an MVP2 and I can discern no difference in vape quality. Both the MVP2 and ProVari have filtered outputs so there is not 33.3hz chipset comparison to be made. My ProVari stays home and my MVP goes out of the house with me.

I will even go far to say that I have a very difficult time discerning a difference between my Sigelei Zmax V3 and my ProVari. Now it could be the fact that I use Kayfuns on both, so I don't hear the rattlesnake, but if that's the case, then it's an issue where my ears are doing the tasting for me.

BadTrainDriver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
Dublin, Ohio
Odd, The first build I tried was one by AndrewWVids:
KAYFUN LITE & BUILDING a COIL - REVIEW - YouTube

It's a great simple build but my builds always measured out to 2.4 ohms which a bit too high for my tastes as I had to jack the battery up pretty high to get a good hit on it.

I then tried the build on page 8 of the Kayfun 3.1 manual by SvoeMesto and that one uses less Ekowool and measures out to 1.8 ohms,so it is my new choice.
http://www.meshweaver.com/temp/vaping/SVOEMESTO_KAYFUN_v3.1ES_USER_MANUAL.pdf

This is the video I watched to base my first attempt at coil building, and it was very easy...got it first try. 1.55ohm(reading 1.6 on my Provari), also using cotton the way he described.

Kayfun Lite Review & Setup w. Microcoil & cotton

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
I can completely tell the difference between filtered and 33.3.
Folks will always try to tell you there's no difference but it's there.

The MVP2 does have filtered output which makes it a decent device in my books but it's not half as resilient as the Provari.
I'd take a Provari with me without backup - couldn't do that with an MVP2.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I can completely tell the difference between filtered and 33.3.
Folks will always try to tell you there's no difference but it's there.

The MVP2 does have filtered output which makes it a decent device in my books but it's not half as resilient as the Provari.
I'd take a Provari with me without backup - couldn't do that with an MVP2.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

I think because you know it's there, you can tell the difference.

Dry burn a coil on a ProVari vs a Sigelei and tell me if you see a difference. I understand the theory behind what you are saying with the voltage spike and the cooldown and all the electrical stuff. It's been documented ad nauseam. For this 48 year old vapor, my tongue is not that calibrated.

And the point is, we don't have any real "blind studies" to prove it. We know we're firing a ProVari, so we're expecting a certain response, and that's human. That's why you can give someone a cubic zirconium and tell them it's a diamond and they'd never know the difference.

There are so many other things I prefer over my ProVari, build quality, weight, balance, ergonomics, reliability, that make it stand out above the competitors, not to mention the peace of mind knowing that if it fails, off to the shop it goes. Those things are indisputable in my opinion.

But getting into a taste war???!!!!??? That's thin ice if you ask me... But again. Just an opinion. If you taste a difference, then that's great....

EDIT: Now I have had my V3 misfire on me or partially fire, and that IS noticeable and annoying as all hell, but that's not a difference between 33.3hz and a flat signal.

Last edited:

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
in the audiophile world they use a term called expectation bias. it means you think something is a certain way and your mind bends reality to make it so.

here's my opinion on the 33.3 chip. it works great on thicker wire, but sucks on thin wire. thicker wire takes longer to heat up and cool down, smoothing out the pulses. thin wire cools quickly between pulses. That's why some people can tell its there and some can't. It has nothing to do with a "refined palate", just different atomizers.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
It's there and it's not just me either, lots of others can detect it too.
Put it down to my 'refined' palette;)

Why would Sigelei go to the trouble of buying a new board that has filtered PWM?
That's what they've done with the Wmax...

Because people see the difference on PBusardo's reviews and they look at the scope. The Chinese listen to the reviews. I know Innokin has made many refinements mid production on items that people like PBusardo have brought up. It's an easy visual cue to focus on and if the Chinese hear we are not buying their product because of a pulsed output, then they will change.

Amberina

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I CAN tell the difference between my MVP 2 and my ProVari.

My MVP may be nice and strong when it is fresh off the charger, however as the battery drains, so does its power.
Actually this is the main reason for my ProVari purchase- I was tired of getting a great vape on my MVP 2 for the first hour off the charger, then having to turn it up higher and higher to maintain the same strength.

With my ProVari the vape stays the same from when I put a fully charged battery in all the way till the end of the charge.
That in itself makes the ProVari worth the money for me!

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
in the audiophile world they use a term called expectation bias. it means you think something is a certain way and your mind bends reality to make it so.

here's my opinion on the 33.3 chip. it works great on thicker wire, but sucks on thin wire. thicker wire takes longer to heat up and cool down, smoothing out the pulses. thin wire cools quickly between pulses. That's why some people can tell its there and some can't. It has nothing to do with a "refined palate", just different atomizers.

That makes sense. I use 32 ga Kanthal on my Kayfuns at 1.8 ohm and seriously can't hear any rattlesnake. But some of my ProTank heads have rattlesnaked, but I'm not sure I tasted a difference. I heard one, for sure....But again, it could be me.

It's not a big deal, in my opinion. There are so many other qualities of the ProVari that put it over the top for me. Something that I can only hear on certain atomizers or see on an O-Scope is the least important to me.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va

My MVP may be nice and strong when it is fresh off the charger, however as the battery drains, so does its power.
Actually this is the main reason for my ProVari purchase- I was tired of getting a great vape on my MVP 2 for the first hour off the charger, then having to turn it up higher and higher to maintain the same strength.

With my ProVari the vape stays the same from when I put a fully charged battery in all the way till the end of the charge.

Interesting. Anybody documented an output test of the MVP at 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% remaining battery power? I have with my own eyes (and my NIS-traced, trusty Fluke 333 meter) seen the output sag in the eVic and Vamo. That actually could be the difference in taste, when the battery power sags.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL

Now THAT is a different argument. Voltage regulation on the ProVari is beyond reproach. It is the most accurate and maintains that accuracy under load throughout the discharge cycle. No other device comes close. Although my MVP2 does well enough for me, (I never let that unit go below 3.7 volts).

Voltage lag and 33.3 hz are two completely different animals.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Interesting. Anybody documented an output test of the MVP at 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% remaining battery power? I have with my own eyes (and my NIS-traced, trusty Fluke 333 meter) seen the output sag in the eVic and Vamo. That actually could be the difference in taste, when the battery power sags.

I think you are on to something. Voltage Lag is a PITA. The VV3 is a great little stick....but.....it lags horribly as it discharges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread