The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

whats so great about provari?

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by drglock, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SPACKlick

SPACKlick Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 7, 2014
    Durham, UK
    Well, how about this, Adding a couple of drips of food dye into wine made expert wine tasters unable to distinguish white and red wine. They are experts in detecting subtle differences in flavour but a small amount of messing with expectations knocked them all off. So it couldn't possibly be a combination of

1) Expectation bias, everyone says it's smoother because of the higher rate PWM so it's smoother and that's because of the higher rate PWM.
    2) The other factors in the design which make the vape smoother, reinforce this position due to confirmation bias.
    Until I see data, even just calculation, that indicates any significant level of temperature change in the coil over a 0.03 second cycle, I have to assume the noticed difference is caused by either something ELSE about the provari OR psychological expectation OR a combination of both.

2. Bill's Magic Vapor

Bill's Magic Vapor Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    I was not a fan of Provari's for the very reason that something about the Provarinati just was unsettling to me. I had a bias against the Provari to be honest, and you can see my early posts about this from a year ago if you like. That said, I own three Provari's today, after trying more than 30 other APV's and mechs. Today I use the Provari, Semovar and GG. That's it. I will buy a DNA 30/100 in 26650 tube when it becomes available, otherwise, meh.....I have what works best. When I first used the Provari, I was not expecting the superior vape that it provides. So smooth, perfect. I was surprised. I'm not a Provarinati....God bless 'em! I do use my Provari's every day with my RTA's. Once you get into the high-end gear, you change directions. For me, hardware was not a pursuit any longer, I had the best, imho. I chose to pursue building my own coils and new toppers. That improved my vape more than any battery did, regulated or not. When you "master" the coil and wick build in the topper of your choice and add the Provari, or similar, you enter a new vaping zone that is hard for me to describe. I don't know why the Provari is so much better than my MVP2, but it is, and it's not bias. I was totally prepared to reject the Provari, and can afford to do so, but it didn't work out that way. I bought the Semo so I could have VW in a high-end device and do use it all the time. It's neither better, nor worse that the Provari to me. I'm in good shape with vaping hardware, that's for sure. There is certainly no China APV out there that compares. I have them all, perhaps no some of the most new ones, as I stopped buying them about six months ago, but I pretty much bought everything out there up till then. Not that I don't believe you guys, I do, but I have to experience things for myself. Once you get to the Provari level, you get to stop chasing batteries and start chasing better toppers, different vapes, etc. I wish I had gone Provari the first month, would have improved my vape at least six months faster than how it turned out. My two cents. YMMV. Just sayin'.....Power up and Vape On!

3. EddardinWinter

EddardinWinter The Philosopher Who Rides Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    Well the ProVarinati are supposed to be unsettling. But I hope once you get to know us, you can see we are just a bunch of folks that like to have fun. In any case, nothing wrong with remaining an independent spirit, Bill. Of course, joining the ProVarinati requires absolutely no compromise of the unique individual properties that defines each of us as humans...or I wouldn't be one. But if you prefer not to be one, don't.

Many of my friends on ECF are not ProVarintati, and many of them use different devices, use juices unlike mine, think differently, and disagree with many of my extremist views. Vape on, Bill!

4. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    IRELAND
    Interesting!
    Still nah.

5. Dampmaskin

Dampmaskin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    ... or bought a DVD player, or a mobile phone. Or a set of quality ear phones. Or a nice leather jacket. Or any kind of fishing- tenting- or hunting gear, or a cheap bicycle. Or about 15 pints of good quality beer at a Norwegian pub. :D

6. SPACKlick

SPACKlick Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 7, 2014
    Durham, UK
    15? You're drinking somewhere cheap in Norway!

7. p.opus

p.opus Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Coral Springs FL
    I agree with you on toppers. My Kayfun blows anything else I've tried out of the water. I'm not sure if I can get any better by dripping or not. Maybe a bit better vape, but the kayfun is so convenient.

I have a ProVari and I admit it is a superior vape experience. But my point is that it is superior due to a number of things.

Fit, finish, balance, ergonomics, consistency. All of these things make the ProVari a superior vape experience, even to my MVP's. But on taste and taste alone, I doubt I could discern a difference.

But that's me....

8. Train2

Train2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    Problem with expectation bias theory. I EXPECTED the claims of a superior vape to be hogwash, and bought a ProVari for other reasons.
    I was suprised.

I don't have an MVP, though I'd kinda like one.

But I was vaping a VAMO and an SVD and there is NO QUESTION that with the same topper, the ProVari provides a better vape. It "feels" like it's faster and smoother delivery of power. If it's not the PWM, then I don't know (or care) what it is. But it's noticeable.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Signature Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    If you want to try dripping just put a wide bore 510 drip tip on your Kayfun and drip. Nothing's stopping you.

10. EddardinWinter

Jun 13, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    Sure, it always starts that way...but before you know it...It has you, just like the Matrix.

Now...I drip as much as I KFL. Its a habit forming thing...but wonderful.

Drip, drip, drip.

11. BadTrainDriver

BadTrainDriver Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 17, 2013
    Dublin, Ohio
    Do not put a kick in it.

12. Coelli

Coelli Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was chasing the dripper dragon until I found the eBaron Dripper Pro from By Leo. I bought another one, let my boyfriend try it, and it never left his Provari. So I was compelled to get a third. All of our other drippers have been abandoned. :) I love the fact that the coil is centered directly under the drip tip; it's just really well designed.

13. p.opus

Aug 24, 2010
    Coral Springs FL
    Sounds like you may want to see a doctor about that....I'm just sayin....

14. EddardinWinter

Jun 13, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    A great dripper, the best of the single coils I have seen in both form and function.

But I am a dual coil guy. I know, I know, "But lion, you can dual up a Dripper Pro!". Yeah, you can do it. But my Helios is much easier to mount FOUR coils into than squeezing two into the Dripper Pro. It is a sharp looking dripper, though...

15. p.opus

Aug 24, 2010
    Coral Springs FL
    Some DIY'er must have nearly killed himself or someone else. Now we get to see DIY precautions on every page.

EDIT: Wow!!!! you can close it...I feel like a noob....

16. CommaHolly

CommaHolly Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Plant City, FL
    I noticed that too,,,,,,

and I didn't know you could close it either, so don't feel bad :lol:

17. CommaHolly

CommaHolly Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Plant City, FL
    I don't notice a huge difference between my MVP2 and my Provari taste wise,,,,,

what I DO notice is the Provari NEVER MISFIRES on me,,,,,,

my MVP2,,,,all the time. sigh.

18. Coelli

Coelli Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're right, I definitely would not want to do a dual coil build in the Dripper Pro even if you can. I used to build dual coils in my drippers just because I could (and it seemed like such a waste to only build one coil on such big platforms), but found I preferred the vape from a single coil in a smaller chamber. Then I found the Dripper Pro and it was all over. There's a LOT to be said for finding the setup that works for you. So this doesn't keep straying completely off topic I'll just say that once I found the Provari, I could stop chasing that particular dragon and spend my time and energy on toppers instead. :)

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Signature Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    Here's your data:

20. p.opus

Aug 24, 2010
    Coral Springs FL
    Good stuff. It also makes sense why the closer to 6 volts, the devices will converge because you are approaching 100% duty cycle.

That also explains why people state that stacked 18350's taste harsher than single batteries. Because the base voltage is higher but the duty cycle is lower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.