Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I should, to be fair, qualify this. If it's true that Provari output is flat and truthful, whilst other mods produce a pulsed output, then it's clear that for a given voltage setting the Provari would in fact be delivering more power to the coil, and would 'appear' to produce better vapour. The solution would be simply to turn the other device up a bit. Not cool I'll agree, but to suggest that the Provari produces better vapour due to this is, I think, spurious.

You can get one output at flat dc with the same power as another output with a pulsed rms output, and I imagine it's going to have a detectable difference in taste.

The provari produces a dc output but other devices also do it as far as I know; I believe the MVP's also produce a dc output.

I imagine the cheaper voltage regulation devices would use the simple waveform.

drglock

Feb 5, 2014
Georgia
Been vaping a month now, analog free for that time also.

I occasionally read posts about the provari, but fail to understand how it can be better than an innokin or other mod?

You bring the juice to a heat source, vaporize it, and inhale. It seems the atomizer is the deciding factor on quality, and juice of course, so why the big hubbub over the power source?

This is not an invitation for snobbiness or mean comments, just trying to learn! :2cool:

Well, some very good points have been made here!

I will go to provape and order one!

I personally don't do anything for status, I slayed my dragons at a younger age. I drive the car I drive for its performance, and will vape a mod for tha same reason!

Thank you all for teaching me! :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Maybe I'm just wrong though. The more I think about it, I guess that the pulsed output from an inferior device 'might' just mess with the flavour. All that hot, cooler, hot, cooler... may give a mean that's the same as a flat output, but would it taste the same? It's an interesting thing. I have to admit that I have no experience, and therefore I retract my statement suggesting delusion.

Exactly; for the same rms power, the fluctuating output will give a slight burn mxed with wet vape; the contant dc will give a smoother vape.

the evolv kick2 is supposed to also give a flat dc output.

jd1978

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
us
Provari users are not as bad of people as you might think.

A lot of Provari users are former Provari haters. It is funny that many who spoke loudly against the Provari in the past speak well of it today.

You nailed that! I actually used to ask my buddy "what were you thinking? I got this itaste for half the price you paid." Now look at me today. I'm ordering a mini when I receive my bonus check in march. ;) I have the full size version but the mini is so dang small I can't resist.

Southern Tina

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
FL
As if on cue...

Look, I am not saying the provari is a poorly made device, and from what I can see it's actually a pretty well built item (if a bit antiquated in the features department).

Please take a moment to reflect not just on the post I am replying to, but the two or three of yours preceding it. You are getting defensive and agitated.

I don't think "provariats" start trouble, tbh. But, the chip is noticably upon thy shoulder. Perhaps that is why some are out there that will poke with pointy sticks, so they can get a reaction.

Are you genuinely going to imply that status has nothing to do with it? I know people that do not own their mercedes to make them feel better about themselves, but on the same token would not be caught dead in a hyundai.

I don't have a problem with your view on the Provari. To each their own. Its the general comment that we will come in here and try to cause trouble. The problem I have is with others putting a group down that they know nothing about, as well as a device that they know nothing about. Some people like drama. It's ironic that a person makes a statement that they are shocked that people haven't started trouble yet and then you just wait on it. If you poke a dog long enough, it will bite. Am i defensive about the comment you made about a wonderful group of people that I've come to know and respect? You bet! Am I agitated that you made a comment just asking for those of us to stand up for one another? You bet. I think people should stick to the original OP's question about Provari's and leave it at that. Everyone has their own opinion, it's when you generalize a group of people that you obviously have no clue about is when I get defensive. "as if on cue". I had read my previous posts and none are agitated or defensive, just the one about your post. Because I don't like people putting others down for no reason, especially ones that they know nothing about.

Rob0506

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Renton, WA
Not entirely true. The ProVari uses PWM, but it does so at 800 MHz whereas most Chinese variable voltage devices do so at 33.3 MHz. The pulse of 33.3 times per second is noticeable, but when you turn it up to 800 times per second it's not. In fact, the output is "almost" identical to a flat DC signal, which results in a very smooth vape.

The fact that it's built to military grade specifications doesn't hurt either, or the fact that of all the regulated vaping devices out there it has the most safety features.

The button is rated for 5,000,000 presses too. :)

Actually, you're almost right. It uses a switching power supply, that is necessary to reduce heat and not waste battery life. The switching is 800,000 Hz, though. It is as flat a DC signal as any battery operated device will produce in this day and age.

Southern Tina

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
FL
I don't think any of them are going to come in full of ire. I don't feel it is a status thing either. I have no one to show it off to and it does not matter much to show it off to people I don't know in real life.

I wish people had not steered me away from the Provari when I got here. I honestly love using the Provari more than anything else I have tried.

It's definitely not a status thing for me either. I don't show mine to other people and I surely don't need a Provari for some "status". In fact, I don't think I have anything that's a "status symbol". I earn that with who I am and how I treat people. Material things mean nothing to me. I'm willing to bet that 99% of Provari owners don't buy them for a status either. I can't even wrap my mind around that sort of thinking.

Paul.K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
California
Actually, you're almost right. It uses a switching power supply, that is necessary to reduce heat and not waste battery life. The switching is 800,000 Hz, though. It is as flat a DC signal as any battery operated device will produce in this day and age.

Actually not true at all. I can only measure the output as AC voltage on my Fluke meter. All my other mods (mechanicals and a Semovar) measure in DC voltage.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I don't think I can improve on Tina's post at all but here goes.

It got to a point when someone would ask about a Provari that many Provari owners were reluctant to say anything. Almost all of the Provari users use other devices but were a bit uneasy about mentioning them. It can eventually eat at you. I think you saw a push back by Provari owners. It has the feature set, durability, size, and vape quality that I want, that should not make me an elitist.

We honestly like to use the Provari and should feel free to say we do.

Last edited:

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I'm not seeing the "provariat" come in here full of ire yet... It will happen, most likely... Full of indignation. I'm sure it is a wonderful device, in the same way it would be if I could buy what is now considered a classic hot rod, built today and by yesterday's standards.

Imagine buying a '65 mustang... Built to the old standards, recently. You just have to ask yourself if you want that, or to buy a modern Acura or Honda today for a fraction of the cost. It's all a matter of taste, and how much you are prepared to spend.

I think a bit of it is a status thing, though.

Yes, I want that. Brand new 65 mustang exactly as built in 1965.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Actually not true at all. I can only measure the output as AC voltage on my Fluke meter. All my other mods (mechanicals and a Semovar) measure in DC voltage.

?

I get a DC voltage on my vamo once I set it to VV.

You are getting an AC voltage on a provari? what voltage?

Smoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
Reno, NV
It's definitely not a status thing for me either. I don't show mine to other people and I surely don't need a Provari for some "status". In fact, I don't think I have anything that's a "status symbol". I earn that with who I am and how I treat people. Material things mean nothing to me. I'm willing to bet that 99% of Provari owners don't buy them for a status either. I can't even wrap my mind around that sort of thinking.

ProVaris are too "ugly and outdated" to be a status symbol anyway......
I love it ugly and outdated!!!!!

Bfly

Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Chicago
I happened to pick one up off of craigslist by a fluke for a steal. That being said I have used many other VV/VW mods and killed all. From a drop or juice leaking ect. So to sum it up i have beaten the hell out of this Provari and just wont die the tube has dents in it the top cap is cocked. Also dropped it in a puddle once let it dry out and still working. As to the function and the smooth vape it give for everyday use I do not think I could have done better.

Side note I was one of the types that used to shun this mod, little did i know it was such an tank and would have saved me LOTS of money in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread