whats so great about provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
VW is not all it is cracked up to be. Switch from a single coil head running at say 6watts, to a dual coil head, with the device still set at 6 watts. You are now only pushing 3 watts per coil, and you may be struggling to get any vapor out of it. Do the same in a VV device, and now you have both coils working at the same capacity as the single coil did, and you see the advantage of dual coils actually working. A VV device would react much in the same way. Mech mod would in that aspect. And as a side note, I always run my VV/VW device in VV mode as it always felt more natural.

And I'm not saying you can't have your opinions, just need to clarify that there is some flaw in the advantages of VW over VV. As with anything, there is no free lunch. Always advantages to both sides. Just like the display may be outdated compared to other devices, many like the simplicity of the features, just like many like the simplicity of a mech mod (which also has limitations compared to an APV).

FWIW, I currently have an eVic that is dead after only 7 months (and I baby my equipment), sitting in a drawer, and currently using a Nemesis clone (kicked, because I can't stand the vape quality changing as battery dies), have a ProVari on the way, and have owned many of the traditional battery systems. Been vaping for over 4 years, and not a sub-ohm cloud chaser....so for my opinions on what work best for me may not apply to what works best for someone else

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you put a 2 Ohm single coil on your Provari set to 4.2v, then you'd get 8.2 watts.
If you put a 2 Ohm dual coil on your Provari set to 4.2v, then you'd still get 8.2 watts spread across all the parallel coils (4.1ish watts each if there are dual coils of a matching 4 Ohm resistance each).

If put put a 2 Ohm single coil device on a VW device set to 8.2 watts, you get 8.2 watts of power.
If you put a 2 Ohm dual coil on a VW device, you still get 8.2 watts of power (Roughly 4.1 watts per coil assuming both coils are exactly the same resistance).

So, with either device, if you want to increase the wattage 'per coil' in a multiple coiled device, you'd have to increase the setting.

There are some cases where VV can be an advantage over VW if you intend to use it below 5 watts total (typically the lowest setting for most VW devices I know of). The same can be said if you happen to have a VW device with a top setting of say 10 or 12 watts...yet the safe amperage ceiling of the device has some room to apply more voltage and still be safe. I.E. With my Artisan Crown and the right low resistance atomizer coil, I can safely go much higher than the 10 watt max setting in VW mode by switching over to VV mode. I can also choose a higher resistance atomizer (I.E. 4 Ohms), and go well below 5 watts in the VV mode. In short, with VV and some knowledge of Ohm's Law, you can sometimes attune your device for more temperature 'ranges' than possible with some VW devices that have more limited ranges in 'settings'.

Not sure about the Provari and how its safety features are implemented, but it's possible with some VV devices to 'under-drive' a low resistance atomizer to keep it within a certain current range. I.E. You could keep a 0.5 Ohm atty from going over 5 amps by setting it to a locked in 2.5 volts. That would still give you a little over 12 watts of power for your coil(s)!

The main area where VW sometimes falls short is simply in how its 'auto-pilot' is calibrated (they are usually calibrated to afford the full range of settings when using an atty from 2.5 to 3 Ohms). If the limit is say, 5-10 watts...yet the device is capable of bucking/boosting a range of 2.2v - 6v....then you could very well be missing out on some of the device's full voltage bucking and boosting potential.

Where VW is nice...is if you're often swapping similarly designed toppers that might happen to just have different resistances. It's easy to pretty much set it and forget it. It's also nice with stainless mesh-wicked stuff (I.E. Genesis Tanks) where the coil resistance can hop around a bit during a draw if it's not well oxidized and broken in.

I personally build my own coils to suit either method these days...both VV and VW are fine if I need to make a minor adjustment. Either gets the job done well :)

Last edited:

certus11

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
usa
I've seen so many posts that attest to the quality and durability of the things, it's hard for me to imagine that it's simply some kind of American jingoism going on. I just must believe that they are built of f'ing kryptonite. That said however; they are 'only' VV, and so change your coil, or have any resistance change through degradation, and guess again. And also I think the display is second rate and out of date.

When they make one with a power output setting and an OLED display I'll buy one. Until then I'll look elsewhere.

P.S. I think that peeps saying they produce better vapour are deluding themselves.

but it's simplicity at its finest though, you havent seen what a single button could do?????:cool:;);)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
As a former Provari skeptic, then I think I can give you an answer.

There are many VV/VW devices that will give you a great vape. For a long time I tried to buy anything but a Provari. I was not going to invest $180.00 in a device that had an ancient display and didn't do variable wattage.

Instead I bought a VV3. Fine device, but it didn't last long. I gave one to a friend and he broke it in a week. Pulled the USB out.

I then bought two MVP 2's and the MVP 2 is one of the absolutely best mod's you can buy for the price point. I won't need any Provari with these. I loved the MVP, but I was well aware that the LiPo battery in them would eventually give out. Call me paranoid but I wanted something with removable batteries. I bought an e-LVT for 90 bucks. This was going to be "the one". An MVP styled mod, built like a brick and even waterproof rated. Take that ProVari.....

I killed it in three days. If you saw my review of it, then you know of the exploits I had with that device and you know a little too much about the the inside of my toilet.

Well, I still wanted a removable battery mod. So I bought a Sigelei V3. Telescoping, stainless steel construction. Buttery smooth threads compliments of Noalox.

I was all set. 2 MVP's for day to day use. 1 Sigelei V3 as a backup and my last remaining VV3 on my desk at work for emergency.

No ProVari for me.

I went to the Tampa Vaping convention and for the first time, spent some time with a ProVari and at the end of the day brought one home.

Why? Words don't adequately describe it. Can I taste a difference between my MVP2 Sigelei and ProVari? not really. The Kayfun works great on all three.

Do I miss variable wattage? yes.

But I discovered something about the ProVari. The ProVari was built to be rugged. It exudes a quality that none of my other Mod's have.

If my Provari takes a dive in my toilet, I'm convinced that I can dry it out and it will still work. I can't do that with any of the other mods.

I could go on as others have talked about. But it is my experience that you have to pick one up and try one.

But anything I say pales to what Pbusardo says about the device.

Taste Your Juice | The ProVari V2

I met him at the Vape fest. He was spouting a ZNA. I asked him where his ProVari was. He opened his shirt pocket, and there it was.

He and Dimitris the vaping greek posed a question to each other as to what they would do if their entire vaping gear were stolen, what devices would they spend their own money to replace. They both said a ProVari and Kayfun.

These guys both have tried a myriad of devices, they have tried all the ProVari killers and mods out there and they both would replace the ProVari.

That says a lot.

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
It's definitely not a status thing for me either. I don't show mine to other people and I surely don't need a Provari for some "status". In fact, I don't think I have anything that's a "status symbol". I earn that with who I am and how I treat people. Material things mean nothing to me. I'm willing to bet that 99% of Provari owners don't buy them for a status either. I can't even wrap my mind around that sort of thinking.

Not to mention the number of peopl who put beauty ring on and wrapped their devices, so by looking, you are hard pressed to tell a ProVari from any other mod. The atty a person uses is more noticeable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
Reno, NV
To the op:
If quitting smoking by vaping has become a benefit to your life/health and you feel a need to make a good investment in a tool that will keep you on that path, the ProVari is a excellent choice.

When I first started out in this, I was shocked to see all the $200+ devices out there and would laugh at the cost.
After realizing this was working at keeping me from going back to smoking (as nothing else had worked for me before that) I was willing to make that purchase and have no regrets in the year and a half that I have owned it.
It is a work horse and a Sherman tank rolled up in a tube, everyone else can "assume" what they think it is, others know what it is.

Best of luck in whatever your choice.

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
I meant to add. If you have a problem with me, I'm okay with that. PM me or direct your negative viewpoints at me personally. I assure you, I can take anything you have to say, and then some....go for it. I just wouldn't put a whole group of people in a "stereotype" which is what you did. They are wonderful, generous group of people and I just don't like people to be lumped together to seem negative to others.

I'm not sure if you simply misunderstood my intent or what I actually said. Please don't read more into what I say, than what I actually do.

I never said that provari owners are bad or selfish people, by the way.

cbrite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I was thinking earlier that the Provari is pretty expensive, but if I added up all the $$ I had spent from GreenSmokes to Halo G6+minitanks, to itaste VV3 and accessories for that, I'd have been better off moneywise to have started with a Provari. So yes, it is costly, but not as costly as buying more and more and more other stuff.:2c:

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I was thinking earlier that the Provari is pretty expensive, but if I added up all the $$ I had spent from GreenSmokes to Halo G6+minitanks, to itaste VV3 and accessories for that, I'd have been better off moneywise to have started with a Provari. So yes, it is costly, but not as costly as buying more and more and more other stuff.:2c:

We love you cbrite. :)

Southern Tina

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
FL
I'm not sure if you simply misunderstood my intent or what I actually said. Please don't read more into what I say, than what I actually do.

I never said that provari owners are bad or selfish people, by the way.

I didn't misunderstand. I got it. Did I say that you thought they ( we) were bad and selfish? It's all good. Happy vaping.

Smoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
Reno, NV
And while you're picking those nits, KenD, I'm also confused about PWM. Granted that less costly mods use a standard 33.3Mhz PWM while Provari's is much higher, I can't understand how anyone would detect a difference in the vape because of that. One Hertz (hz), as I understand it,
is one cycle (or change in state) per second. One mega Hertz (Mhz) is one million state changes per second. So a one second vape will result in either 33.3 million pulses in that one second or 800 million in the same elapsed time.

I don't believe that a variance, even of the magnitude discussed here, is detectable by a human sucking up vapor.

Having said that, it's entirely possible that some vapers could notice the difference at the higher frequency. But with all the other variables involved in vaping I don't understand how this one factor could have much affect on the result.

I'm not trying to be a troll or smartass here, just don't see how this difference would be noticeable.

They are not Mhz. They are Hz.... 33.3 pulses per second compared to 800 per second. That is noticeable.
If they were Mhz, we would all be happy. :)

Last edited:

JonOH1234

Moved On
Jan 9, 2014
USA
I meant to add. If you have a problem with me, I'm okay with that. PM me or direct your negative viewpoints at me personally. I assure you, I can take anything you have to say, and then some....go for it. I just wouldn't put a whole group of people in a "stereotype" which is what you did. They are wonderful, generous group of people and I just don't like people to be lumped together to seem negative to others.

Oh, I'll pay for this. Don't let looks deceive you. She may be beautiful and small but she's mighty. She can take a grown man (and a high ranking one at that) down to a piece of dirt if they take advantage of others. Yes I know her in real life. Battle at your own risk. I wouldn't if I were you though. :D

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
My story is similar ... once you get one ... you tend to realize you don't need or want anything else.
As much as I would like to agree with you.... I can't.... There is always something else that I NEED (I mean want).... always.... If you don't think so it's because you haven't heard of the Pipeline Pro.

pipeline-pro.jpg

JonOH1234

Moved On
Jan 9, 2014
USA

We all know you like.... never mind :oops:

Haha. Stand in line dude. A big long line. Trust me ;)

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
They do have one UNIQUE innovation which people don't seem to be interested in, but which is what I'd buy:

insert.jpg

They provide an $option$ to plug in to the wall and work without batteries.

I considered one of the pass throughs, but its far overpriced IMO. I just ordered a 3rd battery instead

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
And while you're picking those nits, KenD, I'm also confused about PWM. Granted that less costly mods use a standard 33.3Mhz PWM while Provari's is much higher, I can't understand how anyone would detect a difference in the vape because of that. One Hertz (hz), as I understand it,
is one cycle (or change in state) per second. One mega Hertz (Mhz) is one million state changes per second. So a one second vape will result in either 33.3 million pulses in that one second or 800 million in the same elapsed time.

I don't believe that a variance, even of the magnitude discussed here, is detectable by a human sucking up vapor.

Having said that, it's entirely possible that some vapers could notice the difference at the higher frequency. But with all the other variables involved in vaping I don't understand how this one factor could have much affect on the result.

I'm not trying to be a troll or smartass here, just don't see how this difference would be noticeable.

I own an SVD and mechs (no Provari, so I can't say anything about how it is in actual use) and I don't notice any substantial difference in the vape (other than the SVD in vw-mode seemingly having a tiny pause before hitting, due to measuring the ohms and calculating the voltage. So slight that it might be imaginary). As a mech doesn't use PWM it should provide even "purer" volts than the PV, and therefore I can't see myself getting a better vaping experience with the PV. That and a number of other reasons is why I've determined that the Provari isn't for me. That's just me though, and others might detect a difference, and will consider the PV's value for themselves on other criteria than I do. To each their own, and it's a great thing that we have so many options to choose from.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
As a former Provari skeptic, then I think I can give you an answer.

There are many VV/VW devices that will give you a great vape. For a long time I tried to buy anything but a Provari. I was not going to invest $180.00 in a device that had an ancient display and didn't do variable wattage.

Instead I bought a VV3. Fine device, but it didn't last long. I gave one to a friend and he broke it in a week. Pulled the USB out.

I then bought two MVP 2's and the MVP 2 is one of the absolutely best mod's you can buy for the price point. I won't need any Provari with these. I loved the MVP, but I was well aware that the LiPo battery in them would eventually give out. Call me paranoid but I wanted something with removable batteries. I bought an e-LVT for 90 bucks. This was going to be "the one". An MVP styled mod, built like a brick and even waterproof rated. Take that ProVari.....

I killed it in three days. If you saw my review of it, then you know of the exploits I had with that device and you know a little too much about the the inside of my toilet.

Well, I still wanted a removable battery mod. So I bought a Sigelei V3. Telescoping, stainless steel construction. Buttery smooth threads compliments of Noalox.

I was all set. 2 MVP's for day to day use. 1 Sigelei V3 as a backup and my last remaining VV3 on my desk at work for emergency.

No ProVari for me.

I went to the Tampa Vaping convention and for the first time, spent some time with a ProVari and at the end of the day brought one home.

Why? Words don't adequately describe it. Can I taste a difference between my MVP2 Sigelei and ProVari? not really. The Kayfun works great on all three.

Do I miss variable wattage? yes.

But I discovered something about the ProVari. The ProVari was built to be rugged. It exudes a quality that none of my other Mod's have.

If my Provari takes a dive in my toilet, I'm convinced that I can dry it out and it will still work. I can't do that with any of the other mods.

I could go on as others have talked about. But it is my experience that you have to pick one up and try one.

But anything I say pales to what Pbusardo says about the device.

Taste Your Juice | The ProVari V2

I met him at the Vape fest. He was spouting a ZNA. I asked him where his ProVari was. He opened his shirt pocket, and there it was.

He and Dimitris the vaping greek posed a question to each other as to what they would do if their entire vaping gear were stolen, what devices would they spend their own money to replace. They both said a ProVari and Kayfun.

These guys both have tried a myriad of devices, they have tried all the ProVari killers and mods out there and they both would replace the ProVari.

That says a lot.

Crazy you met PBusardo! If I met him, I would probably get on all fours and worship him for a full minute before talking to him.
Haha JK, thats pretty cool though, he seems like he would be a cool dude to talk to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread