whats so great about provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
If you put a 2 Ohm single coil on your Provari set to 4.2v, then you'd get 8.2 watts.
If you put a 2 Ohm dual coil on your Provari set to 4.2v, then you'd still get 8.2 watts spread across all the parallel coils (4.1ish watts each if there are dual coils of a matching 4 Ohm resistance each).

If put put a 2 Ohm single coil device on a VW device set to 8.2 watts, you get 8.2 watts of power.
If you put a 2 Ohm dual coil on a VW device, you still get 8.2 watts of power (Roughly 4.1 watts per coil assuming both coils are exactly the same resistance).

So, with either device, if you want to increase the wattage 'per coil' in a multiple coiled device, you'd have to increase the setting.

There are some cases where VV can be an advantage over VW if you intend to use it below 5 watts total (typically the lowest setting for most VW devices I know of). The same can be said if you happen to have a VW device with a top setting of say 10 or 12 watts...yet the safe amperage ceiling of the device has some room to apply more voltage and still be safe. I.E. With my Artisan Crown and the right low resistance atomizer coil, I can safely go much higher than the 10 watt max setting in VW mode by switching over to VV mode. I can also choose a higher resistance atomizer (I.E. 4 Ohms), and go well below 5 watts in the VV mode. In short, with VV and some knowledge of Ohm's Law, you can sometimes attune your device for more temperature 'ranges' than possible with some VW devices that have more limited ranges in 'settings'.

Not sure about the Provari and how its safety features are implemented, but it's possible with some VV devices to 'under-drive' a low resistance atomizer to keep it within a certain current range. I.E. You could keep a 0.5 Ohm atty from going over 5 amps by setting it to a locked in 2.5 volts. That would still give you a little over 12 watts of power for your coil(s)!

The main area where VW sometimes falls short is simply in how its 'auto-pilot' is calibrated (they are usually calibrated to afford the full range of settings when using an atty from 2.5 to 3 Ohms). If the limit is say, 5-10 watts...yet the device is capable of bucking/boosting a range of 2.2v - 6v....then you could very well be missing out on some of the device's full voltage bucking and boosting potential.

Where VW is nice...is if you're often swapping similarly designed toppers that might happen to just have different resistances. It's easy to pretty much set it and forget it. It's also nice with stainless mesh-wicked stuff (I.E. Genesis tanks) where the coil resistance can hop around a bit during a draw if it's not well oxidized and broken in.

I personally build my own coils to suit either method these days...both VV and VW are fine if I need to make a minor adjustment. Either gets the job done well :)

Except most dual coil heads are roughly 1/2 the resistance (I. E 2 2.4 ohm coils for a net of 1.2 ohms).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I should, to be fair, qualify this. If it's true that Provari output is flat and truthful, whilst other mods produce a pulsed output, then it's clear that for a given voltage setting the Provari would in fact be delivering more power to the coil, and would 'appear' to produce better vapour. The solution would be simply to turn the other device up a bit. Not cool I'll agree, but to suggest that the Provari produces better vapour due to this is, I think, spurious.
Actually, the opposite would be true. The 33.3 hz signal is less efficient so they have to fire higher to achieve the mean (user's set voltage). In effect, the vapor from a 33.3 hz chip is hotter than what a 800 hz signal is.

This is why many feel a Provari allows a smoother vape. With my other VV mods (excluding my MVP) I have to turn the voltage down 1 volt to get close to the vape that a Provari gives.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/488840-rattlesnake-effect-why-cheapo-vv-exception-itaste-mvp-dont-vape-same-provari-dna20d.html

Provari on an osceloscope-vs-vamo

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Except most dual coil heads are roughly 1/2 the resistance (I. E 2 2.4 ohm coils for a net of 1.2 ohms).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These days this is true. The first really popular dual coil cartomizers were 1.2 - 1.5ish Ohms, and it was all packed into a really small space with standard 510 air flow. Early Provari models often gave error messages when people tried to use them. They also would not fire on quite a few 'Ego-Like' batteries (or would trip their current fuses). For that reason quite a few US vendors ordered 2 Ohm batches, and these batches were quite popular among Provari users (often in carto tanks...or in jumbo-versions) for more than a year. A 2 Ohm SmokTech dual coil carto on a Provari from 4.0-4.5v was once a very popular sweet spot for quite a few months.

Depending on the air flow set-up...one of the nice things about dual coils is that you can double the vapor production through 'increased wicking and surface area' and avoid cooking the liquid with intensely focused 'heat'.

4 to 6 watts per coil in a small chamber (It's still 8 to 12 watts of total power), with a tighter draw, as typical for standard off the shelf 510 stuff (slower air flow), is quite respectable. It still offers a good lung hit, and still produces a quite warm puff of air to give throat hit. Today's demand for 20 and 30 watt devices (either via sub-ohm atties or HV power sources) is mainly aimed at really large multiple coil atomizer platforms with huge wicks and quite large air holes (really loose/open/fast air flow). It's kind of a niche cloud chasing thing (or someone that could care less about the visual aspect of 'vapor clouds' but simply wants a GIANT direct to lung hit) to need that much power. They're also quite the juice and battery mah hog :)

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
As a former Provari skeptic, then I think I can give you an answer.

There are many VV/VW devices that will give you a great vape. For a long time I tried to buy anything but a Provari. I was not going to invest $180.00 in a device that had an ancient display and didn't do variable wattage.

Instead I bought a VV3. Fine device, but it didn't last long. I gave one to a friend and he broke it in a week. Pulled the USB out.

I then bought two MVP 2's and the MVP 2 is one of the absolutely best mod's you can buy for the price point. I won't need any Provari with these. I loved the MVP, but I was well aware that the LiPo battery in them would eventually give out. Call me paranoid but I wanted something with removable batteries. I bought an e-LVT for 90 bucks. This was going to be "the one". An MVP styled mod, built like a brick and even waterproof rated. Take that ProVari.....

I killed it in three days. If you saw my review of it, then you know of the exploits I had with that device and you know a little too much about the the inside of my toilet.

Well, I still wanted a removable battery mod. So I bought a Sigelei V3. Telescoping, stainless steel construction. Buttery smooth threads compliments of Noalox.

I was all set. 2 MVP's for day to day use. 1 Sigelei V3 as a backup and my last remaining VV3 on my desk at work for emergency.

No ProVari for me.

I went to the Tampa Vaping convention and for the first time, spent some time with a ProVari and at the end of the day brought one home.

Why? Words don't adequately describe it. Can I taste a difference between my MVP2 Sigelei and ProVari? not really. The Kayfun works great on all three.

Do I miss variable wattage? yes.

But I discovered something about the ProVari. The ProVari was built to be rugged. It exudes a quality that none of my other Mod's have.

If my Provari takes a dive in my toilet, I'm convinced that I can dry it out and it will still work. I can't do that with any of the other mods.

I could go on as others have talked about. But it is my experience that you have to pick one up and try one.

But anything I say pales to what Pbusardo says about the device.

Taste Your Juice | The ProVari V2

I met him at the Vape fest. He was spouting a ZNA. I asked him where his ProVari was. He opened his shirt pocket, and there it was.

He and Dimitris the vaping greek posed a question to each other as to what they would do if their entire vaping gear were stolen, what devices would they spend their own money to replace. They both said a ProVari and Kayfun.

These guys both have tried a myriad of devices, they have tried all the ProVari killers and mods out there and they both would replace the ProVari.

That says a lot.

And now, your conditioning is complete....

Lumen Sees Totus.

ProvarinatiRA2_zps47500a3a.png

Roaring via Tapatalk...

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Actually, you're almost right. It uses a switching power supply, that is necessary to reduce heat and not waste battery life. The switching is 800,000 Hz, though. It is as flat a DC signal as any battery operated device will produce in this day and age.
Sorry buddy. I had to go back and change my post. The ProV operates at 800 Hz, not 800 MHz. It's still better than the 33.3 Hz-100 Hz Chinese devices operate at, though.

SamNapolitanke

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Tempe, AZ
This reminds me of my bike forums where people would endlessly argue about Japanese bikes vs Italian vs German.
If you can afford a Ducati or a BMW, buy one. if you can't, buy something else. Every day I had to listen to people give me a million reasons why I should have bought a Yamaha over a bmw because its so much cheaper and performs the same. I don't care. I Wanted one. so I bought it.

People at work have asked if my $200 provari is better than my friends $100 VTR... I don't argue, I say this is the one I wanted. If you have to justify every dollar the mod is worth then it may not be for you. Everything we buy has "name/reputation/CS" attached to it. a kia vs a Mercedes a sony vs an LG. There are products out there for every segment of the market. find your segment and shop accordingly.

I have to give a lot of credit to the provarinati here on ecf stepping in to post the same info over and over again defending the device, if it was up to me I would have given up a loooooong time ago.

After using my friends VTR, I want one. do I care it's 100 bucks less than my provari? no. I just liked it and I want to own both.

Simply put there is science, quality and reputation behind the Provari, its a superb device. if you can afford it, BUY IT.

carbonbegone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Indy
Seems there's strong opinions on the Provari.
Started a month ago with an itaste vv, good outfit, like it, but it has limitations on battery life & it's useless once the batt dies.
Next I got a vmod XL for the huge juice capacity & a big 18650 battery, it's a great on the go device & the battery really does last all day, or more. But ... vape does diminish as the battery output drops. Don't want to mess w/ a kick.
I'm looking for a daily go-to device currently & I do recognize the benefits of variable voltage, mostly to tailor the vape for different liquids.
The cost isn't much of a concern considering all the intermediate devices I wouldn't be buying.

So .. Just out of curiosity, If I wanted an equivalent device to the Provari ( variable, changeable batts, reliable ) what other options are there ?
Or is a Provari the only game in town ?

Southern Tina

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
FL
Seems there's strong opinions on the Provari.
Started a month ago with an itaste vv, good outfit, like it, but it has limitations on battery life & it's useless once the batt dies.
Next I got a vmod XL for the huge juice capacity & a big 18650 battery, it's a great on the go device & the battery really does last all day, or more. But ... vape does diminish as the battery output drops. Don't want to mess w/ a kick.
I'm looking for a daily go-to device currently & I do recognize the benefits of variable voltage, mostly to tailor the vape for different liquids.
The cost isn't much of a concern considering all the intermediate devices I wouldn't be buying.

So .. Just out of curiosity, If I wanted an equivalent device to the Provari ( variable, changeable batts, reliable ) what other options are there ?
Or is a Provari the only game in town ?

There are plenty of other good Mods out there. The REO is good if you like that style. I can only give opinions on the Provari since that's what I have but there are other good ones too.

certus11

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
usa
There are applications where a mechanical piece will ALWAYS be better digital. My friend, the geek among us, swears by his mechanical keyboard and I got to use his in the past and yes he's right mechanical keyboard is the way to go even though they cost ten times more than the keyboard we all use.

When it comes to vaping, using a mech is the way to go.

Now the answer to OP's question. There's absolutely nothing that the provari can do that a mech can't do better and on top of that a mech will outlast an APV by a long long time. Let's not even get into looks...

VV or not you still have to make your coil, get the wicking right, install a coil and check your ohm readings.

So I'm not sold on Provaris, especially at 180 bucks...Not gonna drink the kool-aid on this one

Last edited:

rastapete69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Orlando
As a former Provari skeptic, then I think I can give you an answer.

There are many VV/VW devices that will give you a great vape. For a long time I tried to buy anything but a Provari. I was not going to invest $180.00 in a device that had an ancient display and didn't do variable wattage.

Instead I bought a VV3. Fine device, but it didn't last long. I gave one to a friend and he broke it in a week. Pulled the USB out.

I then bought two MVP 2's and the MVP 2 is one of the absolutely best mod's you can buy for the price point. I won't need any Provari with these. I loved the MVP, but I was well aware that the LiPo battery in them would eventually give out. Call me paranoid but I wanted something with removable batteries. I bought an e-LVT for 90 bucks. This was going to be "the one". An MVP styled mod, built like a brick and even waterproof rated. Take that ProVari.....

I killed it in three days. If you saw my review of it, then you know of the exploits I had with that device and you know a little too much about the the inside of my toilet.

Well, I still wanted a removable battery mod. So I bought a Sigelei V3. Telescoping, stainless steel construction. Buttery smooth threads compliments of Noalox.

I was all set. 2 MVP's for day to day use. 1 Sigelei V3 as a backup and my last remaining VV3 on my desk at work for emergency.

No ProVari for me.

I went to the Tampa Vaping convention and for the first time, spent some time with a ProVari and at the end of the day brought one home.

Why? Words don't adequately describe it. Can I taste a difference between my MVP2 Sigelei and ProVari? not really. The Kayfun works great on all three.

Do I miss variable wattage? yes.

But I discovered something about the ProVari. The ProVari was built to be rugged. It exudes a quality that none of my other Mod's have.

If my Provari takes a dive in my toilet, I'm convinced that I can dry it out and it will still work. I can't do that with any of the other mods.

I could go on as others have talked about. But it is my experience that you have to pick one up and try one.

But anything I say pales to what Pbusardo says about the device.

Taste Your Juice | The ProVari V2

I met him at the Vape fest. He was spouting a ZNA. I asked him where his ProVari was. He opened his shirt pocket, and there it was.

He and Dimitris the vaping greek posed a question to each other as to what they would do if their entire vaping gear were stolen, what devices would they spend their own money to replace. They both said a ProVari and Kayfun.

These guys both have tried a myriad of devices, they have tried all the ProVari killers and mods out there and they both would replace the ProVari.

That says a lot.

A whole lot!
I might be one dimensional, but both Provari and Kayfun did something I am grateful for; stopped my endless search for a mod and atty that suited ME.
I'm beyond the point in my life where I care what people think of me based on what I wear or own.

Last edited:

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
No difference in the vape. Set your Innokin device on 4.1V and your Provari on 4.1V and you'll get the same vape. You're paying for the support behind the product, in my opinion.

Baditude talked about the rattlesnake effect (33 Hz PWM vs 800 Hz) -- if you have ever dry burned coils on a ProVari, you can actually see a brighter, steadier coil glow.

Not sure everyone notices the diff, but there's an impact on taste -- when I got my first mech mod, I noticed this right away (compared to vaping on a Vamo). The ProVari vapes like a mech mod.

I would love to have a SvoeMesto Semovar, which is another high-end regulated mod. For KayFun users, it's the perfect match.

-- Glenn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread