hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    We are expecting 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow and again on Thursday. At least the temps will be higher. It was so cold Saturday when it snowed that it was powdery and would have been a waste to get the snowthrower out. It just would have blown everywhere.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    We got a couple inches of lake effect snow yesterday. All powder. Just enough to make the roads a mess and cold enough where salt doesn't work on the roads. It was a slow ride home from work. I didn't even bother with the snow blower, just got out my leaf blower and cleared the driveway in a few minutes.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    That's where we were Saturday and Sunday. It was too cold for salt. It's going to be a really long and crappy drive home tonight if we get the snow they are calling for. The worst part is getting out of downtown. It seems like a lot of people change their route and go the way that I always go when it snows.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I actually winterized for the first time yesterday. I moved everything around in the garage so the summer bikes were in the back and the scoots and snowblower were in the front, hooked up all the battery tenders and closed off the woodshed with the canvas tarps I bought to keep the wet stuff out. It's good to anticipate the first serious snowfall at the end of January.

Reactions: firechick

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Oh, almost forgot to mention my screw up and my success story. We got a bit warmer for a couple days and decided to move the ladder to the side of the house and snake out the vent pipe. Nothing was making sense on my problem and started thinking that might be the problem.

I ran the snake down, not feeling much resistance but I reeled it in and tested the drain, still clogged. Decided I might not have gone deep enough so tried again and went too deep. The end of the snake disappeared down the pipe so far that I couldn't even see it. Now it was time for the plumber figuring I had two problems- the snake retrieval and the main drain.

Well Saturday, I noticed water running on the floor in the kitchen and found the dishwasher had water in the bottom. Cleaned it out and it came back, turned off the water feed and it came back. I had had it. I had built a gizmo to disconnect the dishwasher from the drain that I decided to attach and just wash the dishes in the sink until the drain issue got resolved.

Sunday the gf started washing dishes and said the drain wasn't draining at all. I had already called the plumber and they were going to contact their drain guy. She finished up the dishes but had two full sinks of water that I figured would drain or I'd use the shop vac to clear.

She yelled out to be to come into the kitchen, "You have to see this". I didn't know what to expect this time. I went in and both sink were empty. She said she heard a sound like I was snaking the pipe and the water just rushed down the drain. Its been fine ever since, like new. The only thing I can figure is that there was a blockage in the vent, I pushed it down into the drain and it got stuck, still leaving the drain working very slowly. The pressure of all that water against the blockage finally broke it up and it got flushed out.

Now all I have is the snake issue. I giggled the pipe in the basement and could hear it's at a place that the pvc can be cut but it's tight workings. I think I'll let the plumber do the deed unless I can find a tool that I feel will do the job without wasting the snake.

I'm thinking a flexible PVC coupling might be ideal in case I have future issues.

Reactions: firechick

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Sounds like most of my DIY projects at home. If I don't lose at least one important screw or nut by dropping it someplace I'll never be able to get it, then it's a miracle. I really need to invest in one of those retractable magnets. Save me from a lot of swearing and unnecessary trips to the hardware store. The new dryer arrived yesterday. "Apparently" I forgot to buy a new cord and vent kit because the delivery guys wouldn't hook it up without it. So I did it myself when I got home using the old cord and existing vent, both of which fit perfectly. I didn't buy new ones because I knew there wasn't anything wrong with my old ones. I was just hoping they would install it anyway, but I guess it's a safety thing so Lowes don't get sued. Oh well, it's in and drying clothes. But like Murphy's Law, fix one thing another thing breaks, my wife called this morning and I guess the recent cold spell has killed her car battery. So I picked a new one up on lunch and will install it when I get home. She got nine years out of the old one, which in Michigan with our cold winters is pretty good. It just never ends though. I feel like I'm getting a head a little and along comes something to hit me right in the family jewels. :glare:

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I feel your pain rebel. It's constantly one thing or another when you own a home. My induction motor was making a little noise on my furnace so I tightened it up and am crossing my fingers. I looked up the price of a new one and its 200-250 and that's if I put it in myself. The frozen sump pump pipe was about $60 by the time I bought a heat gun and a bigger drain pipe.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    That's an awesome battery life.

Yeah, that's most home projects from my standpoint. There's always something that ends up causing additional trips to the hardware store. What I hate about it is every one is like a 25-30 mile round trip, the pain at living on the outskirts. When I doctored my snowblower this summer it was a three trip event. There kept being stuff I needed to get the job done in humid, plus 90 degree heat.

It sounds like I'll get my chance to test out the alterations this weekend. They're still being cautious about the forecast for amounts anywhere from 3-5" to a foot plus. It's funny, there's a weather site PAweather.com which started popping up on FB last weekend with predictions of more than a foot with 40-50 mph winds that would cause bad drifting. I hadn't ever heard of the site before but took a look at it. There is apparently even a smartphone app. The text reads "We see this" and "We anticipate that". Then at the very bottom of the page, Josh Adams has a bio. He's a sophomore in high school. I'm not sure if it's just him or if he has a staff of friends involved. We'll probably see him on some TV weather report in several more years.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Hitt, you're lucky you have the background to work on stuff like that. I wouldn't know what an induction motor in a furnace was, let alone try to fix it.

I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle extracting the snake. There's a 3-4 foot section of train above the door going into my shop area that's exposed. I got on a ladder and shook the pipe and I could tell the snake was there. Then it came down to cutting through the PVC in a tight spot, knowing I could only go through about 60% until I got to the snake, then had to devise a separate plan to complete the cut so as not to damage the snake.

Then it hit me, one cut isn't going to make it because it won't allow me to separate the two sections to pull it out. Now I'm up to two cuts, maybe a foot apart, which will alow me to get the snake out, but now I need to reassemble.

The only way I can see doing it is cutting the piece I took out in half. Then use a coupling to attach the first half, glue a coupling to the other piece, slide a flexible PVC coupling on the other end, glue that piece to the other half of the pipe and then slide the flexible coupling over both ends and tighten down the flexible. What could possibly go wrong with my plan? Everything.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Years ago my wife asked me to hang a picture in the living room so I got the stud finder, drilled into what I thought was a stud and hung the picture. One day, one of the kids asked why is there water dripping down the wall. I had drilled into a pvc drain pipe that ran down from upstairs. I had to cut a big square out of the sheetrock, make two cuts, glue on couplers and glued a short piece of pvc in the middle. I patched the sheet rock(which I suck at and hate doing), and painted it. There hasn't been a picture on that wall ever since.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I should take a picture of the patch I put in the ceiling of one of the extra bedrooms we have. Needless to say my eyeball level was a bit off, so there is a good half inch thick of mud in one corner of the patch to even it out. Thankfully you can't tell unless your looking at it.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Years ago my wife asked me to hang a picture in the living room so I got the stud finder, drilled into what I thought was a stud and hung the picture. One day, one of the kids asked why is there water dripping down the wall. I had drilled into a pvc drain pipe that ran down from upstairs. I had to cut a big square out of the sheetrock, make two cuts, glue on couplers and glued a short piece of pvc in the middle. I patched the sheet rock(which I suck at and hate doing), and painted it. There hasn't been a picture on that wall ever since.

Sometimes it pays to talk about your woes.

How did you do that? The reason I was thinking I needed the third cut was to get something that didn't need glued in between the two pieces; although after I wrote it out, I thought about what I wrote and realized I didn't need the third cut, I'd just glue one coupling in and use the flexible on the other end.

I couldn't see in my mind how I'd get that short piece into the two couplings it would need to fit between, if you understand what I'm asking.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    If you have a dremel tool Roth, cutting the PVC would be a snap using one of the cutting wheels. It would save you from hacking away with a saw. That's all I use now when dealing with PVC. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about hitting the snake. If it was me personally, I would cut it and if there was enough room, just pull one end down, push the snake backwards until I reached an end and then pull it out of the cut. Slap in a coupler and glue it back together. Done deal, although it never really works out that way in real life. Just make sure you have a bucket handy when you cut the PVC, always some water left in the pipe that will drain.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Sometimes it pays to talk about your woes.

How did you do that? The reason I was thinking I needed the third cut was to get something that didn't need glued in between the two pieces; although after I wrote it out, I thought about what I wrote and realized I didn't need the third cut, I'd just glue one coupling in and use the flexible on the other end.

I couldn't see in my mind how I'd get that short piece into the two couplings it would need to fit between, if you understand what I'm asking.

The pipe I was working on ran all the way down to the basement and there was enough slack that I could push it down, glue the coupler and piece on the bottom, glue the coupler to the top pipe, and then pull up on the pipe to make the last glue connection.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Rebel, thank you! I never thought of the dremel but that solves a whole bunch of issues, particularly space issues and cleanness and depth of the cut. I can's see being able to push the snake one way or the other without at least around an inch or so gap unless it slid much further than I think. It's around 20 feet to the basement and another 6 or so feet to where I can cut an access.

I've considered going into the attic area and trying to retrieve from the vent pipe but accessing it is impossible with the ladders I have, unless I move the bikes out of their winterized position and with snow on the way, that's not happening. I may be able to borrow one from a friend.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Hitt, that's what I kind of expected and why I thought the vent pipe extraction might be a better possibility. I might be able to get enough bend in the lateral, but I'd have to remove some supports the plumber put in to level it off when I had drain issues before (then put them back up) and getting it all together before the glue dried. Plus it would be impossible to give it that turn to seal the pipe properly.

Users who are viewing this thread