What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Anyone ever try to replace a wheel and tire in a wheelbarrow with a 1" axle? What a treat. I inherited a two wheel wheelbarrow from my live in's sister when she moved. Her husband passed away when a tree limb from his neighbor's tree broke off and hit him.

I don't know how old it is but there are a couple supports that run up from the base that are rusting out, but other than that, it's in good shape except one of the tires, a 4.80x4.00-8. It's got an intertube that I can purchase, but the tire is not going to come off the rim without destroying the rim, the metal is so soft . I figured I'd just buy a new tire and rim and that's when I really found out how old the wheelbarrow is.

It has that 1" axle and the largest bearing size I found on any comparatively sized wheelbarrow wheels was 3/4". Finally I found one at Tractor Supply and the comments told me I wasn't alone. The only problem is that for nearly $35, I get 2 stars on the few comments available and the complaints were about terrible quality and short lives. Then I thought I solved the problem, thank you HD.

They sell a comparatively sized log splitter tire for $10 or so more, but they don't carry them in the freaking store so I need to order it and hope the size is close enough to the other tire to make it practical. On of the comments on that tire was that every log splitter they sell uses that size so why don't they have them in house.

So my best approach seems to be compare the tire on my splitter and, if it looks close enough, jack it up and take the wheel off. Then I can test it on the wheelbarrow and, if it works, spend the extra money. If not, take a chance on the TS tire and hope.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yeah, it would make sense a heavy welder would have a big axle on it. After waking up I figured I was going to be going to pick up dog bones this morning close to TS so I'll take the old wheel with me and match them up. I can't tell from the comments how much they were using them. It's not like it's something that is used constantly, mainly to carry rounds out of the woods where there's enough of a path to use it.

I was really worried about it because the fellow next door had two trees taken down and offered me the wood. I can get my mower and trailer in after they got done because the brought in a ground cleaner and eat up all the undergrowth so I can get pretty close to the rounds.

He was real lucky. These were two big trees and the one was pretty much hollow at the base. A 15" or so tree base had about 2-3" circumference of solid wood with the rest gutted out. It only sat 4 or 5 feet off his house so it could have easily come down at any time. He had one he wanted taken that still hangs over his house a bit that they wouldn't even mess with. Living in the woods has its challenges.

I asked them to look at a tree across the road from my place on the Boy Scout ground that's dead. It's leaning toward the electric lines and tall enough/big enough that it certainly will take out the electric lines when it lets go. I was willing to have it taken down to at least the size that when it goes, it keeps electric intact. He had nothing big enough to get him up near the top to get remove the crown. I'm going to call the township and see if they can either get PECO out and do a run up our street and do some PM or they have the equipment to bring it down. PECO was thru a few years ago and did some PM on all the trees that were a danger to the lines and it's really time for another run. Once the leaves are on, I'll do a count of dead ones that need attention and see if I can get some action.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
There was one of those at the assisted living facility my mom was at after she broke her hip. Very cool looking tree but those balls. ugh

Went to TS and they didn't have the wheel, only a 3/4" bore. However they have a wheelbarrow that's very similar to the one I have and it has a 1" axle. Of course they don't sell replacement wheels and tires for the wheelbarrow. The best I could tell, they own the company that makes the Groundwork brand and people that bought it complained about not being able to find 1" bore wheels. I wrote TS to see if they in fact do own the company and if there was a way of getting one.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Back on topic......
Licorice at 6am? Kind of weird.

bjbt.png

Reactions: gerrymi

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Darn, talk about deals. Good thing I don't pay attention to what everyone else says. After contacting TS, I got an almost immediate email back with a support no. I called this morning and they have the wheels and tires in stock and they're only $7 each plus shipping. Now I'm not sure if they're that cheap as part of their lifetime warranty and I'm not even sure if this wheelbarrow is a Groundwork brand or not and I wasn't going to ask. They're a green colored today and this one is old and has a black tub, but there aren't any one inch bore wheels anywhere but TS and I wasn't going to ask too many questions. 2 new tires are costing $25 delivered. Not bad at all.

Reactions: hittman

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
I just bought a no-flat for mine, roth. Tractor supply had a 300lb load wheel for about $35 but it was more narrow and not so great in the treads. I ended up getting an ugly yellow one on amazon for mid 20s. It's listed for 400lbs and it's wider. Now my green wheelbarrow will look like a redneck john deere knockoff. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I just bought a no-flat for mine, roth. Tractor supply had a 300lb load wheel for about $35 but it was more narrow and not so great in the treads. I ended up getting an ugly yellow one on amazon for mid 20s. It's listed for 400lbs and it's wider. Now my green wheelbarrow will look like a redneck john deere knockoff. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know the exact tire you're talking about. The problem I had was that the axle is something like 15/16" and needs a wheel with a 1" bore. I could find one made for a wood splitter but they were road rated, expensive and I would have needed to buy two for the wheel barrow. At that price I would have just bought a new 8 cu. one at TS for $89.

Reactions: firechick

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
Not to rub it in, but I'm almost done with my half day. We've been running 6 days without much down time for so long our parts suppliers are starting to have issues with equipment breaking.

We've had the last 3 Saturday's cancelled due to a shortage of rear axles and now we're down due to transmissions. A friend of mine works at the supplier of our steering racks and they've been pushing so hard to keep up they're working 24/7 and are starting to have mechanical issues. Sounds like that's going to be the next issue for us here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Not to rub it in, but I'm almost done with my half day. We've been running 6 days without much down time for so long our parts suppliers are starting to have issues with equipment breaking.

We've had the last 3 Saturday's cancelled due to a shortage of rear axles and now we're down due to transmissions. A friend of mine works at the supplier of our steering racks and they've been pushing so hard to keep up they're working 24/7 and are starting to have mechanical issues. Sounds like that's going to be the next issue for us here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Making America great, one axle at a time.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I know I see a lot more trucks on the road than I used to.

I noticed on my latest roll of thunder raspberry that it appears that they aren't spraying the portions like they used to. They aren't a white portion but they aren't as dark as they used to be and don't stain my fingers when I pick them up like they used to.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I noticed that with one of my last rolls of raspberry as well. They seem to keep better in the freezer so I kinda dig it.

Our "real" wedding is coming up fast. We had a quick ceremony last year after moving our date back so we're already married in the eyes of the government, but the big event is May 4th. Everybody keeps asking if we're excited and my default response is "I'll be happy May 5th." I've quickly become an advocate for not having weddings, so dang expensive and stressful. It would be way more fun to spend all that cash eloping in Europe or something for a week. I might go through and tally up the total cost someday in the future when the total amount won't completely irritate me.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    It is pretty darn expensive. I was lucky enough that my father in law paid for some of it. Between the dress, the church/hall, invitations, food and everything else it adds up quick. We got married in a historic park that had old buildings in it and had a church. It was quite a bit off the main road so we got a horse and carriage to bring everyone from the parking to the church. We got enough cash gifts from family and friends that we were able to pay for a week in Cozumel. I don't know that I'd want to go there now though.

Reactions: Waho

Users who are viewing this thread