What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
Yep, 8 mg. I actually peel the labels around the sides right off. If you peel the stupid warning off, the General label will peel off all the way around the can. The label is only present on cans shipped to the U.S. because the government demanded it. That same can sold anywhere else in the world wouldn't even have it. The manufacturers complied or they wouldn't be able to sell here. The can opens on the seam around the sides of the can. The small lid in the top is for putting used portions in if you don't have a trash can handy.
29e975a3b8ffbd1828bb0b7e9fe5a92b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yeah without that silly label, you can just use your fingernail to break the seal. When I bought that Skoal snus (Anna, another one you might want to try that's available in convenience stores, not as sweet as Camel but portions are big), I had to actually pull off the road to get them open. Just like Camel, the Skoal doesn't have a disposal lid.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Oh my. I was on my computer earlier and saw movement. Now I heard some funny sounds last night but couldn't figure out where they came from. Now I know. It was a mouse that turned around, saw me and quickly hid.

I set a trap in the kitchen and within 15 minutes I heard it snap, one dead mouse. These traps are great, not like the old fashioned ones where you had to lift the kill bar. These have a second bar on the far end that you push down and the mouse is off the trap.

reset it and an hour later there was a second one done. Hopefully that's the end.

• Informative

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yeah, I got #3 before I went to sleep. I bought this stuff that was supposed to keep them out of the area, either the effect wore off, it wasn't effective or they just got too hungry to care. They can get thru the smallest of spaces and living in the forest just adds to the difficulty in controlling them.

• Agree

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I just noticed last week that something was eating the leaves on the two crabapple trees we have in our back yard. I mixed up some spray and when I got under the trees and started spraying, I saw that we had Japanese beatles again this year. The spray seemed to work but I'll probably do it again this weekend just to make sure.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    We don't worry as much about the leaves here these days, more the entire tree. First came the emerald ash borer a few years ago. The Boy Scouts had loggers going in and cutting any ash trees down that were large enough for lumbering. They were also spraying to kill as many of the creatures as possible which wasn't going well with the local conservation types. From what I've learned, if you don't catch the diseased trees early, the critters turn the inside of the tree into mush.

The way you ID their existence in the tree is watching the crown of the tree for lose of leaves. You have to catch it early because they get to dangerous for the tree guys to climb late in the process and then you're at the mercy of either dropping them whole or letting nature take its course and that isn't a pleasant thought. I've got some good sized ones right near my parking area of my drive. There are also two good sized trees across the street on Boy Scout land that are dead and leaning into the road that would take down the electri line and probablyFIOS if nothing is done.

Then recently the Spotted Lantern Fly caused quarantine in much of PA. You aren't supposed to move firewood and even lumber (but that doesn't get stopped) out of the quarantined area. I've seen signs of them in my pallet wood stacks during the winter. Their wings are very colorful so they're easy to spot. They're a threat to both fruit and trees. Basically, living in the woods these days is a challenge. I've got three trees all within a foot or two of the overhead wires that need to be taken down. None of those are large, less than 12" diameter at the base but all leaning toward the wires.

I took one down that was a bit larger, maybe 12-15" diameter that I used a hand winch on to pull away from the wires as I dropped it and that got hairy. It really wanted to drop the wrong way. I not only had it winched but drove wedges in to support it until I had enough meat out that it finally pulled away from the wires and dropped. I'm hoping Harbor Freight has a sale on their meatier winches for ATVs that I could mount on the back of my Zero Turn to make the process a bit easier before I consider dropping them.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    We went from 90's to 75 yesterday. Decided to take advantage of the cooler temps and take the kayaks out. It was all fun and games until we were heading back in, which not only was against the current, but into the wind which picked up at that moment. Definitely a workout.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Waho, you just flashed me back, way back actually, close to 40 years.

A friend talked me into a canoe trip from Port Jervis, NY to Easton, Pa o the Delaware River. It was over 60 miles and we had just Saturday and Sunday to traverse it. It started out bad as we were supposed to meet about two hours earlier than when he showed up and, when he did, the canoe was the most beat up thing I ever saw.

The reason he was late was that the canoes where he was going to rent from was sold out and the only thing he could find was what he arrived with. My ex took us up to the starting point after dropping a car off where we were going to exit the river on Sunday. The boat had too much gear in it for its condition but we were dedicated to the plan.

I had never canoed the upper end of the Delaware so I didn't know what to expect. As it turned out, the first day was very hot and very calm water with very few rapids to help chew up the miles. Between the calm water and his wanting to stop a lot to take pictures, we were running way behind where we should have been to pitch camp at 5 PM. He wanted to stop but I was insistent we had to get at least close to the half way point.

It was nearly dusk when we came off the water and quickly set up camp. We agreed to get up early and get on the river as quickly as possible to make up time. He said the river was much quicker from here on out and he was right. We were moving much faster and churning up miles as we approached Foul Rift. I found this video of the rift that either the water was deeper or these kayakers were going down the Jersey side. We took the PA side.

Like I said, I never went through it before but I had heard about it. I told him I thought we should put on our life jackets but he assured me it wasn't that bad and we'd be fine. Had we gone down the Jersey side, we would have been. However, in a matter of seconds we were literally paddling for our lives. There were exposed rock everywhere and riding low in the water. How we ever got thru, I'm still not sure. At the bottom there were canoes broken up with people gathering what they could from the water, quite a few of them. Our friendship pretty much ended after that trip though. I liked adventure, just not risking my life to find it.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful until we got to Easton. It must have been a little after 7 PM when we got there and to get off the river close to our car was below where the Lehigh River emptied into the Delaware generating a strong current. Our first attempt was to late and we were pushed past our landing. Exhausted, we had to paddle upstream on the Jersey side where the current was the easiest to paddle against and go back far enough so that we could get to the PA side before we were again pushed too far. Thank goodness our estimates were right. I really don't think I could have handled a third attempt.

Besides the exhaustion, had to deal with a sun burn for the next several days. Just thinking about it now, I think that was my last trip down either canoeing or tubing.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I was thinking that years ago I tried that and it had a cinnamon flavor to it. I could be wrong. My memory isn’t what it used to be.

I think my memory is as good as it ever was, but seriously, I can't remember.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    No, when my subscription ran out, I didn't continue. They didn't come out with new challenges and repeating them over and over had me lose interest. I still recommend and may very well rejoin at some point. I've noticed that some of the skills that I improved have fallen back by my laziness.

Users who are viewing this thread