hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    That's fantastic. I guess if we ever did a remodel, we might be able to fit one. I'm not sure. Just the way it's laid out now there isn't room for one. I don't know if the wall between the study and kitchen is load bearing or not but I guess that would be an option some day possibly.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Love that floor! The kitchen is really looking amazing, makes me jealous. This house has a tiny kitchen and I don't like any of the thoughts I've had on making it bigger. An island, lol, it would need to be installed in the back yard.

I really can't see anyone but an empty nester or a single child family in this place. It was ideal from my standpoint. I really don't know what the teacher was thinking when he "designed" it.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    In a united front with the cabinet/trim installer, we told the project manager to bump the electricians up a bit so we have lights/outlets in convenient areas and can slide the fridge out of the way etc.

He managed to pull them away for an afternoon, so hopefully by tonight there will be working lights in the house!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    In the beginning there was darkness, and the homeowner said "Let there be light!" and then there was. And it was good.

20200225_091006.jpg 20200225_102109.jpg

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I'm sure you're going to be happy with the change. It really looks great.

Had to go to the county courthouse yesterday for a custody hearing. Grandmom and her daughter in law are fighting over visitation rights of her grandkids from the guy that died of the brain tumor a couple years ago.

Anyway there was a sign at the front as you left the parking lot to walk up to the courtroom, "No guns, knives, yada, yada and no vapor cigarettes". Cigarettes were fine, lighters were fine but not vapes. I was amazed.

Fortunately, she had parked her car where she wasn't supposed to and I left mine behind before climbing thee long ramp and steps to get to the courts.

Then we had to take off our belts (PIA as I wear a holster for my cell phone), empty our pockets, take out our wallet, etc. Darn if I didn't have another smok nord in by jacket pocket.

I figured it would look like a lighter so I dumped it in my gf's pocketbook but no, these people were real professionals. It either had to be thrown away or taken back to the car. As I traveled back I just wondered what this country will be like 50 years from now and happy I won't be around to find out.

• Agree
    Reactions: Burnie

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Maybe it's due to the batteries having a tendency to explode in people's faces randomly and unprovoked. Just like how our cell phones, laptops, electric razors, wireless headphones and cordless tools make great impromptu hand grenades at the drop of a hat [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: hittman

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I started a new job doing lineside material sequencing (LMS or kit cell it's usually called) and we use tablets with big replaceable battery packs attached since the screens are on 24/7 showing which parts to pick. They had one of the battery packs go thermal yesterday on night shift. No one was hurt and the only damage was the pack itself and the holder for it was melted a bit.

Waiting for the safety guys to overreact and ban lithium batteries from the shop.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I started a new job doing lineside material sequencing (LMS or kit cell it's usually called) and we use tablets with big replaceable battery packs attached since the screens are on 24/7 showing which parts to pick. They had one of the battery packs go thermal yesterday on night shift. No one was hurt and the only damage was the pack itself and the holder for it was melted a bit.

Waiting for the safety guys to overreact and ban lithium batteries from the shop.

I had a couple of 18650 batteries go thermal on me in the charger. It launched the batteries across the garage and one hit the door 20' away. The charger was melted too. I think the charger failed. It is too much of a coincidence that both batteries failed.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Waho, that sounds like it would make the job a bit more difficult.

Hitt, that was quite a while ago I believe. At least I think I remember you talking about it. I'm guessing you didn't have them in a bag.

I wonder about these things when you consider sitting on top of on going 70 miles an hour down the interstate. My last and only best friend just picked up a Tesla SUV after his son had bought one of the sporty Teslas last year. It must be nice to have the big bucks to throw at vehicles. lol

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    It was quite a while ago and no it wasn’t in a bag. The charger was sitting on a toolbox in the garage. I’m glad I don’t charge in the house. It made a mess and stunk for quite a while. I do have a charging bag now though.

The Tesla looks nice but I don’t really have a desire to own one. I’m more than happy with my Jeep. I would like to get a grand Cherokee next time if I can get it past my boss. The liberty I have now has about every option that was available when it was made.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yeah, I'm with you and buying a car for over twice what I paid for my first single family home isn't in my future. This is the fellow whose son died at the beginning of the year. He struggled through many careers from car and insurance salesman to car mechanic to fixing paving equipment. Then he got a job fixing generators. He did that for a couple years and hated the way his boss did business so much he decided to go out on his own in his sixties.

He's now 70 and he's hit the right market at the right time. He runs the entire business out of a small barn on the back of his small home in town. I was so happy when he finally found his thing. His youngest son who graduated high school last year (yeah that was a late one) is finally coming around to the idea of working with him in the business. The middle son who is way over educated and living in CA may also end up coming back and getting involved. Heck, he needs some way of paying for that care. lol

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I strongly considered buying the all electric Chevy Bolt when I was replacing my old Saturn. 95% of my driving is within its range and we have free EV chargers at work to save the couple bucks there. It came down to cost as they were brand new at the time and there wouldn't be used ones available for a while. A smaller consideration was road trips, sure we can take the truck but 17mpg over hundreds of miles adds up. We've been very happy with the Buick however, decent gas mileage despite the turbocharger and lead feet we have.

The remodel will be quiet for a week or so. Waiting on the counter tops to be manufactured/delivered before the plumber can finish up the sink/dishwasher and the tile guy can do the back splash/fireplace. Then it will just be finishing the crown molding, bay window trim, and building a soffit to hide the plumbing in the basement.
    20200228_091005.jpg 20200228_091046.jpg 20200228_091054.jpg 20200228_091020.jpg

Excuse the few day old photos, the base molding and whatnot are done in the dining room and some other things that aren't pictured.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Nah, we have a vent hood going up over the range. It could have been up and functional already but being such a large job everything needs to be inspected. My wife thinks microwaves over the range looks "dated" so opted to hide it in the island. My concern was future little ones being able to easily nuke random objects since it's right at the mischief level, but she didn't think that would be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread