hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    LOL, I think my stash at this point will outlive me but I know where to look if I'm wrong.

I can't believe your youngest is now approaching 21. It seems like just yesterday she was graduating from HS.

My garage cleanup is going much slower than I anticipated. I got in there and immediately decided to sell my oldest pike, the 400cc scooter. I was just tired of battling to get through to whatever I needed. I put it on FB and you would think it was gold. I got a buyer way faster than I anticipated. So much so that I didn't get to tomorrow so I could run it in and get it inspected. It sat for two years since it never moved once Covid hit. I was surprised it fired right up.

Then I found this large box that I remembered from before I bought my second scooter. I had one lined up that had a stock seat on it and no top box. I bought both used on the scooter site, then I found the scooter I really loved and it had all those upgrades. I put the seat up for sale and it was sold and picked up today. The top box is now on my scooter as the original one was looking shabby. I'm going to sand it down and see if I can get it looking decent again.

I've filled both trash and recycle tubs with trash not coming until Wednesday. I think I'll have a conversation with my neighbor. He never has a full load.

If you ever need any vaping gear just say the word.

My youngest has finished two years of college and decided she doesn’t like Wichita any more so is trying to transfer. I’m sure it has something to do with her boyfriend. He goes to college 2.5 hours away from hers. All I know for sure is after six years of having one or the other in college that I’m ready to be done paying for it. I’ve been having to pay the rent on her apartment in Wichita for the past several months and she hasn’t been living there. No way to get out of the lease.

The company that is supposed to be trimming my trees hasn’t shown up yet and he told me last week that they would get to it one day this week. I hate to keep calling and bugging them but he shouldn’t have told me that if he didn’t think they could do it yet.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Oh I hear you on those leases. After my Junior year, we were supposed to keep the same apartment for the senior year and the lease was signed. Well, my one roommate (the one that signed the lease) decided two weeks before the end of the year to head to SF and become a love child. A second decided to quit and the 4th decided to move back into campus housing. I can't remember what the 5th decided but he wasn't paying for the summer.

I got a letter from the landlord agency telling me I was responsible for the entire rent since no one else was paying. Fortunately my major was in the field and I took a trip out to meet with them. Since I wasn't formally on the lease at all, I "settled" with them for half of what I had been paying during the summer and closed out the senior year's lease.

It became an issue in the fall since I had no place to live and they had closed down a ton of apartments during the summer, but after a day of headache inducing searching, I found a home for the year. People were camping out on the lawn of the administration building all year long. State College winters are pretty bad and every time I passed those tents I felt very fortunate.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    The tree trimmers still haven’t made it. I talked to them yesterday and it should be soon.

I’ve been looking at pellet grills. They can get a bit expensive but have liked some of the Traeger and Pit Boss ones. I have a smoker but every time I have to buy wood and charcoal and monitor it all day and add fuel. The pellet grill sounds more like a set it and forget it kind of thing.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    It's been so long since I grilled. Last year I scrapped my old Weber gas grill as it sat unused for years. I should spend some time and get my, darn, I was going to say forty but it's closer to fifty year old Big Green Egg fixed up and sell it. I had fixed up the cracks and repainted it and bought a new cart to move it around on the deck.

Then here kids moved and she doesn't like charcoaled food so I just stopped trying. I used to love doing the TDay turkey in the Green Egg but now I don't even care. Considering the cost of a new one, I could possibly sell it for more than I paid for it, around $200. I suppose the Large Green Egg is about the size of the originals and they run somewhere around $1k. I might even be able to do a little bit better depending. The buyer would just need to move it. I remember how heavy it was in my 20s and then again in my 50s when it got moved the last time.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I’ve had a few different propane grills and when I got rid of the last one I bought an inexpensive barrel smoker with a side fire box. It’s ok but just grew tired of smoking being an all day ordeal. Now I only smoke meat a few times a year. A pellet grill would take a lot of the work out of it.

Reactions: rothenbj

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I think I passed up a barrel smoker on my ride home from Harbor Freight today. I saw it with a free sign on it on my way out and figured I'd check it out on my way back. Then as I was leaving the store it started raining. I tied my good on the back seat of my Spyder (the pillion is the official name) and opened up the saddlebag to pull out my raincoat only to find that all I had were the pants.

It wasn't raining hard but it looked pretty dark so I stopped at a closed gas station and checked the radar. Rain was moving toward my house so I figured if I waited a few minutes, it would be out in front of me and, if I took my time, I could follow it home and it worked great until the last mile and a half. That's where I had seen the smoker.

It was still there but I figured stopping would just get we soaked. As it turned out, with the protection of the bike itself, I barely got wet. However, I didn't get a good look at the smoker. Having read your post yesterday and considering I'd be the only one enjoying it, I probably won't go back to see if it's still there.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Anyone get notice from Photobucket about their account being deleted if you didn't log in? I haven't been in it since that became a pay site so I logged in and found some photos that I didn't remember having so I downloaded them just to be sure I had them.

I haven't used photobucket in a long time. I use imgbb for my review images.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Well I'm finding what a pain all this auto tech is in doing things that were simple in the past. Tried to start the Escape this morning and neither key fob was recognized and I didn't know how to bypass it to get the car started. Went to the chiro and got home in time to just develop more questions before the rains came.

There are two ways to get the battery out and both involve removing a bunch of stuff. Best seems to be by removing the windshield wipers and cowling but now I have to worry about whether I have the radio code in the docs I got when I bought the car. I did buy some wiring a few years ago to keep juice flowing to the system while replacing the battery if I can figure out where I put it and if the battery I have will have enough charge to keep the system alive long enough to replace the battery.

I did set up an appointment Monday with the dealer just in case or in the event that I just don't find what I need to do the job myself. It used to be so easy. Take out the dead one, pick up the new one, install and done.

Last edited:

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    When I swapped the battery in my Buick I hooked my battery charger up to the fuse panel under the hood to keep juice flowing and that worked for me.

Is it a keyless Ignition? My Buick has a slot under the rubber in the cup holder that you can put the fob in to start it if the fob battery is dead.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yeah Waho, I now know how to start it (or at least I know what the instructions say) but since it wasn't the fob battery that was the issue, I haven't been able to test it. My model year has a point on the steering column that you're supposed to put the fob against. I don't know why they don't have a slot to put the key in to make it easy. No luck on the radio code, went through all the paperwork and manuals, I guess I'll be at the mercy of the dealer on getting that.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Well I'm finding what a pain all this auto tech is in doing things that were simple in the past. Tried to start the Escape this morning and neither key fob was recognized and I didn't know how to bypass it to get the car started. Went to the chiro and got home in time to just develop more questions before the rains came.

There are two ways to get the battery out and both involve removing a bunch of stuff. Best seems to be by removing the windshield wipers and cowling but now I have to worry about whether I have the radio code in the docs I got when I bought the car. I did buy some wiring a few years ago to keep juice flowing to the system while replacing the battery if I can figure out where I put it and if the battery I have will have enough charge to keep the system alive long enough to replace the battery.

I did set up an appointment Monday with the dealer just in case or in the event that I just don't find what I need to do the job myself. It used to be so easy. Take out the dead one, pick up the new one, install and done.

My mother in law had an issue with her battery on her escape and thought it was the key fob. She even had the battery tested and it tested good but the car wouldn’t start intermittently. She went ahead and had a new battery installed and it was ok after that.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I've had a Traeger pellet grill for about five years now and I'll never own a different one. I use to have a gas grill, a electric vertical smoker, and a small charcoal grill. I threw them all away after I got the Traeger. It does everything I want or need. Smokes meat like a champ and can sear a steak just as easily. I've even made homemade summer sausage, jerky, smoked cheese on it both which turned out excellent. Heck I even smoked salt on it which is amazing on popcorn and eggs. I know I sound like an advertisement for pellet grills but they are worth it. And they are plenty of options out there if you don't want to drop the cash on a Traeger. Pit Boss is a great grill and Camp Chef makes a nice one as well. Get one with bluetooth if you can and you can monitor the grill with your phone, adjust the temp, turn it on and off, sit on your couch and smoke ribs. Wait for the holiday sales and pick one up Hitt, you won't regret it.

I’ve had a few different propane grills and when I got rid of the last one I bought an inexpensive barrel smoker with a side fire box. It’s ok but just grew tired of smoking being an all day ordeal. Now I only smoke meat a few times a year. A pellet grill would take a lot of the work out of it.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I've had a Traeger pellet grill for about five years now and I'll never own a different one. I use to have a gas grill, a electric vertical smoker, and a small charcoal grill. I threw them all away after I got the Traeger. It does everything I want or need. Smokes meat like a champ and can sear a steak just as easily. I've even made homemade summer sausage, jerky, smoked cheese on it both which turned out excellent. Heck I even smoked salt on it which is amazing on popcorn and eggs. I know I sound like an advertisement for pellet grills but they are worth it. And they are plenty of options out there if you don't want to drop the cash on a Traeger. Pit Boss is a great grill and Camp Chef makes a nice one as well. Get one with bluetooth if you can and you can monitor the grill with your phone, adjust the temp, turn it on and off, sit on your couch and smoke ribs. Wait for the holiday sales and pick one up Hitt, you won't regret it.

I have been reading up on them and saw that Pit boss has the 850 model that has a plate that slides open for exposing the flame for searing. It's a little cheaper than a traeger at $499. If I get a pellet grill then I want to get rid of my barrel smoker.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    That site is a scam. I would stay far away from it if I were you. Legit pitboss site is https://pitboss-grills.com/

PITBOSS-USA.COM

These the Pit Boss grills you're talking about? The current sale apparently has all their grills under $100. Seems too good to be true, but I kind of want to take a risk and order one.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    PITBOSS-USA.COM

These the Pit Boss grills you're talking about? The current sale apparently has all their grills under $100. Seems too good to be true, but I kind of want to take a risk and order one.

I didn't see the one I want there but don't know how that could possibly be real. The one I was looking at was $500.

That site is a scam. I would stay far away from it if I were you. Legit pitboss site is Danson's - Pit Boss

I'm guessing you are right but your link goes to amazon.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    That's correct Hitt, Pitboss sells through Amazon

That's kind of what I figured out after a while. I would like to get one but just had to spend 700 getting my wife's car fixed and paid the tree trimmers 625 Monday. By the way they did a nice job and even cleaned the gutters at my request.

Now we are looking for a place for my youngest to live who just transferred colleges. The rent is so expensive that we are seriously considering buying a small house for her to live in for the next 2.5 years. My wife and daughter are going to drive there Monday to look at some houses. Most of the apartments we looked at online are either super expensive or pretty creepy looking. It's kind of a small college town so not a lot of options.

Users who are viewing this thread