hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Would be interested in seeing the finished product Hitt. I've looked at the master bath here and thought to myself that I'd like to do an upgrade, even though the kitchen needs it much more. I have a hot tub in the back deck that I had installed soon after I moved it. Even though it's been dead for years now and I put new boards on that deck last year, I didn't feel like spending the time to cut up the old tub and install more decking. I wouldn't mind one of those spa tubs in the master to get that hot tub experience again.

I spend the day cutting brush and saplings around the house with a Forester brush cutter blade on my gas trimmer. The whole story is a bit long so I'll spare the details, but I originally wanted to keep the string head on the Echo and use my antique Ryobi 31cc for the brush cutting duties. I thought I wasted a lot of money on the Ryobi but most of the money was for things that work on the Echo and I still haven't given up on the old trimmer.

Anyway, that Forester blade which looks like a circular chain saw should have been found years ago. I had sticker bushes and trees growing all over where I didn't want them but it was a situation that I kept trying to keep the stick bushes under control with less aggressive heads on the weed eater, The saplings just kept getting bigger because of the effort of getting at them with the chainsaw.

I cleared two areas around the house in a matter of hours with that blade, with ease. Most of you guys don't have an environment where the forest doesn't really want you interfering with it constant expansion, but this gives me half a chance.

I can’t afford to do everything at once so we are starting with the floor and the tub face. After that we’ll paint the vanity and I’ll put on new pulls and hinges. I’ll have to save for a little bit to get a quartz two sink vanity custom made. Our vanity is an odd size but in decent shape so I don’t want to replace it. I’ll take a picture or two with it now to show how it’s in the room after tearing the steps off.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    So the FDA is banning juul and plans to remove nicotine from cigarettes. They just have to control, in the name of the children, of course. You'd think they'd get involved with these kids mutilating themselves because they've been convinced that they're the wrong sex.

The one thing I've noticed is that the "not for profit"?health" associations no longer run their anti-cigarette ads, now it's all anti-vaping.

Burnie

The Bug Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 1, 2009
    Sunny Florida
    Another thing I noticed going to the doctor, they used to ask if you smoked, now they ask if you use nicotine, I just keep answering no because it is none of there business if I use a product that is no more harmful than caffeine, they don't ask if I drink coffee or coke. It's all politics, the number of people dying from smoking has not dropped in years, (I think somewhere around 400K a year), but the smoking rate has dropped drastically. And still NO ONE is dying from vaping or using snus. All Politics IMHO

• Agree
    Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    So the FDA is banning Juul and plans to remove nicotine from cigarettes. They just have to control, in the name of the children, of course. You'd think they'd get involved with these kids mutilating themselves because they've been convinced that they're the wrong sex.

The one thing I've noticed is that the "not for profit"?health" associations no longer run their anti-cigarette ads, now it's all anti-vaping.

Another thing I noticed going to the doctor, they used to ask if you smoked, now they ask if you use nicotine, I just keep answering no because it is none of there business if I use a product that is no more harmful than caffeine, they don't ask if I drink coffee or coke. It's all politics, the number of people dying from smoking has not dropped in years, (I think somewhere around 400K a year), but the smoking rate has dropped drastically. And still NO ONE is dying from vaping or using snus. All Politics IMHO

I agree with both of you. I think they want to decrease the amount of nicotine in cigarettes since the number of smokers has decreased so that those that still smoke will smoke twice as much.

• Agree
    Reactions: Burnie

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Roth, I forgot but here’s a picture of the jet tub with the step removed. I hope to come up with a plan this weekend as how to finish it. My wife keeps going back and forth on what she wants it to look like.

f49e26fc19f47824a5891472e0ac06b8.jpg

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Should be interesting to see how it looks after finished.

I got some more done today. I framed so I would have something to nail against on the top and installed mdf on the face. I cut a few trim pieces then stopped when I realized the floor installers are going to need to take the floor up to the mdf. I could guess on the clearance but if I was wrong then I’d have to tear off the trim. I did however talk the wife into a framing nail gun and a table saw yesterday when we bought the supplies.

60add9694b15103224a0ca91e91f0199.jpg

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Good move, both will come in handy in the future.

Not sure about the MDF though. Let me see if I can find an article-

Can MDF Get Wet & How To Fix Swollen MDF Water Damage (waterdamageplus.com)

I build shelving out of it when I was volunteering at the thrift store. Pieces I had left over warped just from the humidity in the basement as well as some water damage where it was resting next to a slider that had some water come in during a big storm. Those pieces blew up.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Good move, both will come in handy in the future.

Not sure about the MDF though. Let me see if I can find an article-

Can MDF Get Wet & How To Fix Swollen MDF Water Damage (waterdamageplus.com)

I build shelving out of it when I was volunteering at the thrift store. Pieces I had left over warped just from the humidity in the basement as well as some water damage where it was resting next to a slider that had some water come in during a big storm. Those pieces blew up.

My wife insisted on it since it’s smooth. I didn’t think about it but should have painted the back before I put it up. If it gets ruined then either I’ll do it again or hire someone. We’re going to do something similar to this.

09d81529b85fb950234366eb623e2633.jpg

By the way, we never use the tub. Some day I’d like to have a pro take it out and expand the shower.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    The new Sharp dishwasher was installed this morning and the floor guys installed the new floor and stretched the bedroom carpet in less than three hours. I’m very happy with the job they did. There were two guys and I tipped both of them. I still need to trim and paint the tub walls and install some floor trim where there wasn’t any before because of the step I removed. Also, the bathroom and bedroom walls will get painted by us. My youngest daughter hit a deer in her car Friday night and the rental car company is putting the screws to us since she’s only 21. There’s not a rental place in the town she’s in and the nearest one was out of cars so she had to have a friend drive her an hour to the nearest rental place. We’re trying to figure out a cheaper option but haven’t come up with anything yet.

89fdaddc11fcc7055876665ce08176c5.jpg

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Roth, I know it doesn’t look like a lot done but here’s the update on the bathroom. Nothing was square including the walls so it took a lot of shims but finally got the tub wall ready for caulking and paint. I still have trim work to do for floor molding against a couple walls but was worn out from running up and down the stairs from the bathroom to the table saw outside.

3dc1ed037710608aa9d93912f60a7bb8.jpg

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    It all looks good to me and certainly a far cry from what you started with. I really keep thinking of those walk in tubs with jets and shower capability. I have a dead hot tub outside and would like to bring those jets into the house. I just keep putting it off with a kitchen that really needs to be rebuilt.

My neighbor next door has an old mobile home that he had resided. He just replaced the sink and it got me thinking. He offered to put one in my house but it doesn't make sense with the condition of the room.

Who knows what might be offered by Amazon in their Vines program which I was just invited into for my product review history as well, I'm sure, of quantity of products ordered. They send you products that you're interested in reviewing free of charge (other than paying income tax on when you accumulate over $600 value for the year).

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    The project is kind of at a standstill. My youngest hit a deer and the rental car place was sticking it to us since she’s 21. My wife went to my daughters place yesterday and they returned the car. The shop still hasn’t gotten any parts after ten days.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Well Amazon vines is going to require a measure of self control or I'm going to be getting a 1099 from Amazon. On day 1 I ordered $110 worth of "stuff" to review and I only went thru 4 pages of over 750 pages of items. Staying below that $600 figure could be tough.

I got a motion sensor shop light for my garage to replace the one over my workbench and move that LED shop light to replace the florescent I have on the ceiling.That should save a few buck in electricity because, invariably, the light in the garage gets let on. There's only one switch at the inside door and I forget to turn it off too often. My gf also was looking for a lamp when she's in bed and I got a bendable LED floor lamp that might do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread