Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
That video I posted has got me a bit concerned. Is there a way to tell the difference between SS and Nickel, in case of mislabeling?

I don’t think so that’s why I only buy my wire from “reputable” wire supplies Like Lightening Vapes or AVS. I use to buy crap from China on eBay or fasttech but now I’m much more careful in my vendors.

For me- I know there are dangers involved with vaping so if I can do everything possible on my part to reduce the dangers then that’s what I do. Wire, temp of juice, DIY quality products ie USDA even only buying batteries that are on Mooch’s list and only from vendors that on the ECF list.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I use a few different types. For my 40g I always get it from lightning vapes. For the rest I will typically get kbee, lightning vapes, or master of clouds. It just depends on what is cheapest at the time.

I have bought the more expensive stuff in the past, but I honestly couldn't notice much of a difference so I just buy the cheaper stuff anymore. I just avoid the cheap no name stuff like you would find on ebay.

Reactions: Letitia

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
OK, I finished the rambling video and have decided that the reviewer is a buffoon and drama queen. If his main concern is the safety of those allergic to nickel wire, it would have been sufficient to let KP know that they had mislabeled some wire (which to me could be an honest mistake, and appears to be a one-time anomaly) and let people know that they should not use any KP kanthal wire without contacting the seller. We know it's "BAAAAAAD", and the rep on the phone was courteous and agreed on every point.

What more do you want from them?

I worked a large part of my career in quality assurance and there are many reasons that this could have happened, none of which are deliberately deceitful or intentional. I have done many root-cause analyses when things went sideways and the process allowed something defective to pass. If the process is broken, that's easy to identify and fix, but sometimes the inspector is "broken". Maybe it's as simple as the employee doing the "magnetic testing" that day was lazy and didn't bother to test. Maybe the order was hot and the employee took shortcuts. Maybe the employee was hung over or wasn't paying attention - distracted by a personal crisis outside of work. Who knows? It happens.

But to feign this degree of "I'm so mad about being lied to, and you know who I am" is preposterous - he's assuming the absolute worst when it could just be an honest mistake. I would have simply identified the bad wire, called KP and asked them what they were going to do about it, then spread the word that folks with allergies shouldn't use any KP kanthal wire, and/or how to contact KP about replacement wire - you know, like any other normal, sane recall effort.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
But to feign this degree of "I'm so mad about being lied to, and you know who I am" is preposterous - he's assuming the absolute worst when it could just be an honest mistake. I would have simply identified the bad wire, called KP and asked them what they were going to do about it, then spread the word that folks with allergies shouldn't use any KP kanthal wire, and/or how to contact KP about replacement wire - you know, like any other normal, sane recall effort.
That's not his game though, there is not enough BS drama in a civilized course of action.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States

I getcha and if it wasn't for the fact, to my understanding, that vaping using Nickel wire on anything but Temp Control is downright dangerous, I would totally agree with you.

That said, I appreciate all the sources everyone gave me. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. :)

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I getcha and if it wasn't for the fact, to my understanding, that vaping using Nickel wire on anything but Temp Control is downright dangerous, I would totally agree with you.

That said, I appreciate all the sources everyone gave me. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. :)

It is true that Ni200 wire (99% nickel) is used for TC, but I thought he was testing Nichrome wire. Nichrome 60 contains 60% nickel and Nichrome 80 contains 80% nickel and the balance is iron and chromium. Nichrome wire is commonly used for vaping in variable wattage or voltage - and perfectly safe assuming the user isn't allergic to nickel. Even then I don't know if the user would go into anaphylactic shock from exposure, or if it would cause mild discomfort in the form of shortness of breath or tightness in the chest (similar to a VG allergy). I am not aware of any vapers actually dying, or even getting gravely ill, from a nickel allergy - though that doesn't mean it hasn't or couldn't happened.

Stainless steel vaping wire also contains varying amounts of nickel, depending on the grade, though at much lower levels than Nichrome.

As always, I advise using whatever makes YOU comfortable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread