FDA Who will survive the FDA Regs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traten

Sep 25, 2014
SE PA USA
I used to be a fan of Elvis Costello. This thread about the government taxing, legislating, even outright outlawing individuals growing tobacco and selling nicotine, calling them "bootleggers," reminds me of a lyric from his "Red Shoes" song: I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused.

For those who've been following, here's today's video of my own tobacco growing experiment. The idea was to use the crop for extracting the nicotine and use it for vaping. Hell, I might just smoke the damn stuff!

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Cosmic Fog is going to begin testing to comply with the deeming tobacco regulations.
Nice to know someone other than big tobacco, Blu and Vuse will survive.
I was recently in a gas station in Rancho Bernardo.
They had a Cosmic Fog juice stand right near the register.

I don't think they have a prayer at getting through the Deeming in the current form.
But who says it won't change at some point in the near future?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've never even thought about growing my own tobacco for the nicotine. I have somewhere between 15 and 20 years worth of 100mg nic base stored.

In the early 70's one of my inlaws dad was a tobacco farmer in Tifton, Ga. They had most of 100 acres in tobacco. I was impressed that a single tobacco plant could grow 8' tall or more. It would be easy to grow several plants and extract the nic from them. The plants hung inverted in a heated tobacco barn to cure for a while after harvest.

Flue cured describes the process I saw on that farm. For some reason wasps loved to build nests in those heated barns. I suppose they got a nic hit from the heated tobacco.
Tobacco Leaf Harvesting Curing and Fermenting.

Reactions: DC2

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I've never even thought about growing my own tobacco for the nicotine.
Me either. With a liter of nic base costing well under $100 and lasting the average vaper 3 to 5 years, I don't see how it could possibly make economic sense to grow your own. Besides, growing the tobacco is the easy part. After it's grown and cured, the nic still has to be extracted and purified, which is not a trivial process.

Reactions: DC2

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Me either. With a liter of nic base costing well under $100 and lasting the average vaper 3 to 5 years, I don't see how it could possibly make economic sense to grow your own. Besides, growing the tobacco is the easy part. After it's grown and cured, the nic still has to be extracted and purified, which is not a trivial process.

I spent $100 on two liters of nic about a year ago. At 3mg nic levels that's supposed to last me 9 years per liter. It's not worth my time or effort to try and grow tobacco plants and go through the process of extraction. Plain old nic base in USP PG and VG satisfies me just fine. That said, there are lots of vapers who like the full tobacco form of extracted nic.

That said, I recognize that not all prefer my choices and I applaud those who find their own way to satisfy the nic urge. It's all about not smoking. Whatever makes that happen is a good thing.

ETA: I just measured the amount of nic left in my first 100mg/ml bottle compared to the unopened one by sitting it in a window and letting light shine through. The unopened liter has 7" of nic base. My working bottle has 5 1/2". It's been about a year since I ordered it last July. I'm looking at about 5 years per liter instead of the 9 that I originally estimated. I guess I'm vaping more than I thought!

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
That said, there are lots of vapers who like the full tobacco form of extracted nic.
Are you sure you're not confusing NET extracts with nic? The former is primarily a means of extracting tobacco flavorings; it produces almost negligible amounts of nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread