Why the desire to segregate this community by age group through threads???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
I don't believe standing is so much a part of it as is simple comfort, knowing the mattress of personalities you fall asleep with aren't apt to force the point of a spring into your back.

I doubt you're estranged from the human race as much as you like to believe.

I respect your opinion (artfully stated, I might add), but I think the comfort we gain by joining groups is the byproduct, akin to dopeamines(spelling?) being stimulated in the brain when we do certain drugs resulting in euphoria; where as, like the depression or lonliness or stress that sends us seeking relief with said drugs, it is standing and acceptance in life which propells us to become part of groups.

As for being estranged from the human race... well, if nothing else, I find at least ECF and this community does help me reach out more than I normally do. I love ECF. :)

Last edited:

jwtaylor27

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2011
Alabama
The whole ecf website is way to categorized as it is. I understand vaping has many aspects but I see no sense in breaking down each segment all the way to having a forum for just atomizers. It makes this site too in depth (if thats possible) and extremely hard to navigate. Thats why you see hundreds of posts that say moved by moderator. I wonder everytime I'm on here if I'm missing something or posting something in the wrong section.
With all that said, I keep coming back so ecf must be doing something right. For every reason I can find to hate this site, I can find two reasons why I love it.

ChaosTheory

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2012
Baltimore
www.epicdelusion.com
Well, I, for one, know 50- and 60-year-olds wouldn't understand me totally flipping out that I'll be turning 30 in 3 days. People who are in the 25-30-something range could relate to that anxiety and apprehension. More of a relation factor.

Yep, I'm 28, feel 30 rapidly approaching. As much as I try to convince myself that it's not a big deal... it really is

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
So I guess you're not interested in hearing about my steam powered laptop? Only weighed 62 pounds.

False. I think that is the coolest thing EVER.

Also, the fact that this post took off is extra hilarious to me because my largest interest is history... I.E. listening to older people talk about the past...

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
The whole ecf website is way to categorized as it is. I understand vaping has many aspects but I see no sense in breaking down each segment all the way to having a forum for just atomizers. It makes this site too in depth (if thats possible) and extremely hard to navigate. Thats why you see hundreds of posts that say moved by moderator. I wonder everytime I'm on here if I'm missing something or posting something in the wrong section.
With all that said, I keep coming back so ecf must be doing something right. For every reason I can find to hate this site, I can find two reasons why I love it.

For the most part, I agree with you that there is a lot of catagorization in this forum. But when you have a catagory in this forum called 'community', with further sub-forums called 'The Lounge' and 'Social Group Forums', I strongly feel that those areas are where chat threads belong. In fact, I wish I would have focused more on this point in my initial post than I did.

Victorian

Moved On
Feb 23, 2012
I wouldn't say that age based groups segregate the community necessarily. It's not like I'm going to read a post, and then not reply because the OP is in the 55+ age group :)

Now, we have Prune, Activia and Geritol flavor juices for the 55+ crowd, so what's the juice of choice for the Gen X/Yers?

My vap smells like teen spirit

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I think the General E-Smoking forum should minimize the grouping of vapers by any criteria. That's what the social groups are for. Let's move that stuff to social groups for people of certain ages.

One of the most enriching things about vaping, and I've experienced this at meets as well, is that people from all kinds of backgrounds and ages come together simply because they share this hobby and used to smoke. I have made friends through vaping from their early 20's to their 70's. We all were newbies at one time regardless of the age we started at. The more we share our thoughts the more we find we have in common!

forks

Apr 14, 2012
Low Earth Orbit
It's not like the "segregation" as it has been called is really that...
Not like anyone is saying "whoa, whoa, whoa... you're too old... get out of our thread"
Or "you whippersnappers get out of here, card-carrying AARP members only"
It's just categorization and organization... a "We'll put our nintendo jokes over here, you put your fiber jokes over there" sort of thing.

Sweeney Todd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2012
Durham, NC USA
stvapors.com
I don't think there's any harm in the 'generation threads', I think it's just a bit of fun and there's no harm to have, say, a home thread you return to. Just as long as people mingle in the other threads, of course.

ECF is, due to how it's structured, already divided up into a lot of subforums, so you're well served to look around.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Well, I, for one, know 50- and 60-year-olds wouldn't understand me totally flipping out that I'll be turning 30 in 3 days. People who are in the 25-30-something range could relate to that anxiety and apprehension. More of a relation factor.

Turning 30 was really scary! I remember and can relate, even though my oldest kid is 33.

I felt a lot older when I was discovering my first grey hairs and was about to turn 30, than I feel now, at 59! Now I feel young! Can't quite understand why. My generation said "Don't trust anyone over 30." We meant it.

It's kind of interesting how stuff comes around. In the late 60's, early 70's, we were considered odd by a lot of people because we liked brown rice, and honey instead of sugar, and minimally processed foods and recycling. Now that stuff is pretty standard.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Turning 30 was really scary! I remember and can relate, even though my oldest kid is 33.

I felt a lot older when I was discovering my first grey hairs and was about to turn 30, than I feel now, at 59! Now I feel young! Can't quite understand why. My generation said "Don't trust anyone over 30." We meant it.

It's kind of interesting how stuff comes around. In the late 60's, early 70's, we were considered odd by a lot of people because we liked brown rice, and honey instead of sugar, and minimally processed foods and recycling. Now that stuff is pretty standard.

Oh, you are so right Sandy. Every generation will seem to be breaking the rules, which later become standards...

Social Groups are fun - commonality... I am a member of two, but read through out ECF to keep up with the community - do not want to miss out on the changes happening in mods, batts, news, legislation, safety, etc... The vendor threads are also a Social Group - a lot of people joined together with the commonality of their favorite PV...

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Chances are if ya need it, ya can't carry it!
mock.gif

"ABC is proud to bring you the Lawrence Welk Show, sponsored by Geritol and Serutan (Natures spelled backwards)." <commercial> "Now back to our 'regular' programming."
smiley-toilet07.gif

"Und now, ve shall play 'Ze bubbles in ze PV' "

williegntx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
Central Texas

I think, (mostly the ladies) may have had the same anxieties...after all they are past that now and as Sandybeach says
Turning 30 was really scary! I remember and can relate...
For me (as a guy) it about killed me when an older lady reminded me that a mans sex drive begins to diminish at around age 25, I survived it. Don't worry boys, there is life after 25!:facepalm: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :toast:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
The social groups don't get used as much because posts have a 1000 character limit.....really annoying.

It would be nice if the social groups were like a sub-forum, with normal forum features. You can't subscribe to a thread, , use see first unread post of a thread, etc, etc. A group doesn't support a lot of the thread tools. I think the awkward functionalities of the social groups detracts from them being used more widely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread