Will i ever save money vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmgbatista

Verified Member
Sep 4, 2011
Portugal
I've been vaping occasionaly for 6 months and quit smoking analogs one week ago.
My main goals are to improve my health and, of course, save money.

But i've realized that, as i'm a gadget kind of guy, i will never save money vaping.

In my vaping experience, i've already spent more 600€ than what i would spend smoking. Mainly because i was trying all the different stuff out there (cartos, tanks, liquids, kits, ...), trying to find the right setup for me.

Now that i have enough stuff to vape for 6 months, i'm thinking about buying my first Mod (P+ 18350), that costs as much as smoking for 4 months.

As everything is constantly evolving and new products coming out every week, the will to buy new stuff will never stop.
how do you deal with this? Should i give all my money to my wife and ask her to give me an allowance once in a while? :blush:

AuBadge

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Antioch, TN
neuronradio.net
Just my opinion, but I think that while things are constantly evolving, some things will not be worth your time and you eventually reach a point where you weed out the wheat from the chaff, and end up with your ideal equipment. The savings will come; it just takes time.

Right now, the most important thing you're saving may be your life. :vapor:

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
Yea savings will come.

Now that I've found all my equipment, and I'm starting to DIY my liquid,
I imagine it will cost about 20 bucks a month to vape.

Now, don't be too surprised I spent almost 1300 to get to this point, but now that I've found it I'm extremely satisfied.

It will come! don't give up :)

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
The first year I vaped I used Ego's exclusively. I bought juice. I saved enough money to buy a new living room outfit, update my computer, buy a couple of 3TB USB3 drives, new clothing and eat out a lot.

Then I found mods. Now I'm set again with what I like and *needed* LOL, and I'm DIYing my own juice. The saving money has once again started. I PIF'd all but two of my egos which I keep for vaping in stealth mode and for sentimental reasons.

It comes, but it takes awhile, and depends a lot on how many stinkies you went through in a month's time and what their cost was. If you smoked more, you save in a hurry once you fix on your method and gear.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
It can be an expensive hobby or a way to save money from smoking. It took me a bit to come to the point where I've got pretty much all I need but juice (and one more PV in August) and am going to swear off of new purchases after this. For me, the fun and interest in new equipment and feeders was what helped me to stop obsessing over cigarettes - gave me something to focus my hands and my mind on outside of smoking.

Congrats on putting down the stinkies. My best advice is to buy what you really, really want (or need) and avoid the impulse pick ups.

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
If, there is a mighty big word in a little package, I can keep my hands in my pockets and avoid new shiny's and toys I should start to save money in about 12 weeks after vaping for 5 months lol

Upside is that start up costs include hardware and juice for my still smoking wife so when and IF she does ever start vaping savings will really start to rack up.

Just about there regards hardware and truth to tell after my initial rush of investment it has just been a case of selling overbuys and equipment that just didn't work for me and replacing it.

So yes I guess it is possible. My brother started vaping about a month after I did so had my failures to base decisions on and has been saving since his get go. Then again he is in the UK where cigs are significantly more expensive that the US.

cdunn96

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo NY
I just added up my first month vaping with 2 kits for 2 different versions, regular and VV. Juice, atty's, carto's, tanks and clearo's. I have my setup for home and the one for on the go and enough juice and back ups to last for a while. I have spent $380 and I will not need anything for a few weeks where I will need some juice, figure about $20. Should end up costing $50 a month and I think that will be more than enough.
I smoked a pack and a half a day to 2 packs. $10 a pack cost me $420 a month if not more. Vaping is a huge gift. I could not feel better and I love it. Vaping is so relaxing, just wish I new about way back.

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
It'll come. And then it'll look lost again. Up and down. My wife and I set ourselves up with eGo batteries and some juices. She also DIYd a few recipies. Some of the recipies just didn't come close to good flavors. Others are even better than found online. This went on for a year. In the last month or so, we've added some juices from Alien Visions. Add to that tanks and couple of provaris. Spike went the cost again. Of course now with a ProVari, it's hard for me to imagine doing a LOT more other than juices. A low coming again - I hope.

BUT - as mentioned, you are saving your life for sure. And having fun doing it.

Audi VapR

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2012
MD
Congrats on stopping the analogs, it's been about a week for me too. I'm new so I haven't dropped a ton of cash yet, I can def see where you're coming from though being a gadget junkie myself. I've just gotten some great advice from friends that have been on ECF and vaping for a while now. They've pretty much steered me in the right direction letting me try out all their different mods, rebuildables, attys, cartos, scubas, etc. before I bought my first pv. Do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions on ECF and use every bodies trial n errors to your benefit. Then maybe you can start saving a little unnecessary expenses unless you can get your hands on a ZEN or GG mod,then spend whatever it takes!! LOL

elothen

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2012
Ft. Worth
Sounds like you have the same problem as me man. I'm 3 weeks in and about $600 in the hole. With the cost of the juice we like and the amount we vape (we were actually chain smokers that just couldn't handle the poison ingestion rate to do so) I think excluding equipment it'll be a wash for us. Even if it cost more though, what an incredibly improvement to our quality of life!! I don't regret a dime, only that it took so long for the technology and us to get here!

Other thoughts. I think vapers will essentially fall into 1 of 2 categories. The casual vaper and the enthusiast/hobbyist. The former category has great odds of settling into simple equipment, vaping, and being content. The latter... well hobbyists can justify spending any amount of money on their hobby and will perpetually do so. A hobbyist is actually discontent/saddened when they run out of things to buy/spend money on. So, I think the category you fall into will answer your question. Sounds like you're currently category 2. If you expect to ever see a savings you'd need to shift to category 1. IMO ;-)

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
In my first 2 weeks I dropped over 400$ on 2 kits and ~180ml of juice. I have settled with soemthing that works more suitably than the 808 I was using to start (every little issue I had was resolved at least). Now I have some new "this could be better"s, but I'll be holding off on big hardware purchases for a while. A large factor of vaping was the costs (11$/pack), I need that money elsewhere for a bit. I know I'll be getting some new hardware eventually, but I would have a hard time spending the household 450$/mo tobacco costs on vaping for more than a month or two. I think I'm "category 2", but financially limited so can't get tooooo crazy.

Needless to say, once you have hardware, the upkeep costs are barely a dent compared to tobacco if you were 1+PAD.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Well it took me almost a year to figure out that I could make a home made 5$ box mod vape the same as a 300$ gold plated provari if that is what you mean. Our tendency is to try all sorts of different things to get the taste that we want when in reality almost any of them can. When we come to the understanding that how we use a device is more important than what device we use, we start to save money in a big way.

invididual

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 11, 2012
    Lakeland, FL
    Yea savings will come.

Now that I've found all my equipment, and I'm starting to DIY my liquid,
    I imagine it will cost about 20 bucks a month to vape.

Now, don't be too surprised I spent almost 1300 to get to this point, but now that I've found it I'm extremely satisfied.

It will come! don't give up :)

exactly the same situation here, still wrestling the cartos a little, being as lately the quality of Boges has taken a nosedive, but the rest is in the bag, now to figure out DIY. 40+ flavors, plus plenty of bottles and nic base = hours of entertainment (probably more like frustration lol)

RossMc

Verified Member
    Jul 5, 2012
    Newcastle, UK
    I don't think I've really spent that much and I feel that I've got the device which i'm going to stick with. I paid £15 for a SkyCig started kit which will not be getting used again as the battery life is terrible. Spent about £10 on some sample E-Liquids and then bought a Vision eGo started kit for £37 and this is the device i'm going to stick with as I think it works for me best.

Bought 30ml of E-Liquid from BritVapes for £5 and three 10ml bottles and three Vision Clearomizers from Health Cabin for £15 so that should last me a while.

The money I have spent so far for the amount of time I have been using E-Cig's is no where near the amount of money I would of spent if I had stayed on normal cigarettes at £7.20 a packet. So i'm happy with that I don't think I will be buying anymore devices although you never know so all I will be spending money on as of now is E-Liquid when I run out and more Vision Clearomizers when I need them.

rmgbatista

Verified Member
    Sep 4, 2011
    Portugal
    In my first 2 weeks I dropped over 400$ on 2 kits and ~180ml of juice. I have settled with soemthing that works more suitably than the 808 I was using to start (every little issue I had was resolved at least). Now I have some new "this could be better"s, but I'll be holding off on big hardware purchases for a while. A large factor of vaping was the costs (11$/pack), I need that money elsewhere for a bit. I know I'll be getting some new hardware eventually, but I would have a hard time spending the household 450$/mo tobacco costs on vaping for more than a month or two. I think I'm "category 2", but financially limited so can't get tooooo crazy.

Needless to say, once you have hardware, the upkeep costs are barely a dent compared to tobacco if you were 1+PAD.

OMG, 420$/Mo??? :ohmy: That's what I pay for my 4 bedroom house's mortgage.
    I'm on "category 2" for sure, and Apple isn't helping me with a new iPhone and iPad release every year.

Right now i'm trying to decide if i should get the Super-t P+ 16430 or not. Don't know if it will be a big improvement over my eGo as I never tried a mod before. I really like it for being small and easy to carry in the pocket. If i buy it, it have to keep it for the rest of the year. What do you thing? Is it worth it? Should I buy it (please say YES!).

kalifornia

ECF Veteran
    Jul 4, 2012
    santa rosa, california
    can you say Hawaiian vacation? Im pretty sure I overpaid for my ego setup plus juice at 92 dollars. At a cost of $4 a pack a day Ill recover that money in 23 1/2 days. After that its just cartos & juice- maybe 50 cents a day roughly. Honestly I haven't vaped long enough to calculate everything down to the penny, and may never bother its that cheap.

Last edited:

Dominicanto

ECF Veteran
    Jun 10, 2012
    New York City
    Elothen got it right. If smoke cessation and savings was my ultimate goal, I would have stopped at the ego twist, good juice and some clearomizers, LR attys for dripping and a tank and just order refill juices and attys as needed. Not so as I'm a gadget guy like yourself. The important thing is pacing myself. I want an APV like nothing else, but I have to remind myself that that's a desire and not a need. Will I eventually splurge for something big and bad - sure and and it won't be the last time, but it can't be the daily obsession it was at the beginning.

Oh and having your wife put you on a budget ain't exactly a a bad thing honestly. We know ourselves, they know us better :) we've come up with a number that fits well within our budget on a monthly basis so that I can do what I gotta without feeling like I'm putting good money to waste. If up to me, well... who needs to eat so much food, anyway...

Then, again, at $12.50 a pack here in NYC and as a former PAD smoker, I could justify buying quite a bit of gear and not feel too bad about it ;-)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread