Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
When I give information that I gain from perusing my online CR subscription, I have no vested interest.. just trying to help.

Neither of the Toshiba Satellite C55 models given quite low ratings by CR is the same as the Toshiba Satellite C55 model that's being sold by Office Depot for $200. It's just that the two that were rated were both noted for being particularly slow, even when compared to other computers with the same basic configuration (processor speed and type, RAM amount and type, etc.)

This recommended laptop with 15.4" screen is available new for $400. At the time that CR rated it the lowest price they'd found was $600. Yes, I'm aware that $400 is twice as much as $200 but if I was spending my own dough (as opposed to making a suggestion to someone else about spending THEIR dough), I'd find the difference worth paying if I was able.

Amazon.com : Dell Inspiron 15 3000 15-3543 15.6" Touchscreen LED Notebook - Intel Core i5 i5-5200U 2.20 GHz - Black i3543-3251BLK : Computers & Accessories

I'm not often able to re-sell stuff to recoup a high percentage of my initial costs. I might well look at things differently if I found that to be a frequent occurrence, but I more or less view computers as items that I am purchasing for myself with no hope or expectation of resale.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
You should put your anniversary (and a reminder that it's coming a week ahead) wherever he might see it. Maybe his phone or email calendar? Or, a big calendar on the kitchen wall?

He has a smartphone and Google Calendar. Not my fault he is not smart enough to use them. At least he was smart enough to marry me. (of course that depends on who you ask) bahahahahaha

I learned as a child that it was safer to be invisible. But, it's also lonely. I don't want to be invisible anymore!

All I can say is. . .
metoo.gif
My hubby was brought up in a very sad situation with an alcoholic father that took pleasure in beating him until he had to have his shoulder operated on. He also had a mother that was nice enough to write him notes to get out of P.E. class in school and sometimes took him to the doctor. But she never did anything about it other than get new gift from time to time when he acted real bad. We have not spoken with them in over 25 years. Not since his father came to our house and tried to burn out storage building down. Any arsonist knows you don't use diesel fuel. See, he was stupid. :evil:

Normal? Who wants to be normal?

You got a point. But I'm pretty sure I don't every have to worry about it. Normal is not a word people usually use to describe me. Now. . . adorable? I must agree.
laugh-pt-girl-laughin-hard-bangin-hand-on-table-gif.455470

Umm... is my brain in short-circuit mode again?! I thought Tory said that she celebratED her 32 anni.?

We all went out to eat together. He just didn't know it was an "occasion". heehee I'm at daddy's. . . and he is doing so good that I have plenty of things to celebrate about. Oh and I am not complaining (well maybe a tiny bit). 32 years is a wonderful accomplishment and I have two beautiful children.

aren't they a little young to be so lazy?!

I know. It took me a long time to develop my sloth like nature.
girl_haha.gif
Although my car is all clean on the inside and I even Armoralled it. Guess I'm having a "spunky spurt". Okay, now I'm going to fill the truck up with gas and go by the house and pick up a few more things I need. The dogs toenails were in my .... all night. bahahahaha

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
As with most things, a consumer must weigh value / price / their personal needs / etc .. and in the event of disappointment, falling back on the store return policy is there if needed .. :)

I'll riff a little on PC's / Laptops .. I am not a fan of tablets .. I believe they are overpriced and based on how a tablet comes equipped, a laptop is the far better alternative for many reasons .. now, a tablet is more sexy than a laptop, sure, but that's about where things end .. I don't personally much use a Laptop for anything more than Web browsing, email, sometimes a video, music playback, etc .. lightweight stuff, IOW

My definition of a good value is, using the Toshiba as an example, if I drop 200 clams on the unit, keep it in good condition / save box and docs and feel sure I can sell it in 12 months for $150.00 after restoring it to factory config, it's a good value, since it cost me a tad over 4 bucks a month to own it .. tech is disposable these days .. that's one of the draws of a basic machine .. the higher end you go, the greater the depreciation is .. but I can guarantee that this machine will bring $150 minimum after using it a year ..

Lastly, with most things, there is good, better, best .. having been an audio nut since the 1960's and having bought my first PC in about 1982 .. the debate that goes on in a consumers head has probably been around since the first wheel was invented .. "Should I get that basic wheel or should I spring another 50 shells for the wheel that is made of walnut instead of oak .." .. both wheels do the same thing .. it always boils down to personal choice and will it fit your needs .. a consumer should spend what they can afford to spend based on their expected use of a product ..

And don't even get me started on audio / video gear .. ;)

I actually use my laptop instead of a desktop, and use my tablet for anything portable. The tablet has been a godsend in my current sojourn away from home. I'm typing right now in the dining room while waiting for occupational therapy, and it would be hard to haul my 17" laptop around in the wheelchair all day. At night I put a pair of headphones on so I can listen to music instead of my roommate's TV.

At home I use the tablet for reading in bed, listening to music, and some video streaming, though my TV is better for that. The TV is smart enough to handle everything but Acorn TV, and I just got a$30 Roku for that. I take it along to appointments so I can read or surf while I'm waiting around.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
This recommended laptop with 15.4" screen is available new for $400. At the time that CR rated it the lowest price they'd found was $600. Yes, I'm aware that $400 is twice as much as $200 but if I was spending my own dough (as opposed to making a suggestion to someone else about spending THEIR dough), I'd find the difference worth paying if I was able.

Amazon.com : Dell Inspiron 15 3000 15-3543 15.6" Touchscreen LED Notebook - Intel Core i5 i5-5200U 2.20 GHz - Black i3543-3251BLK : Computers & Accessories
I found a cheaper price, direct from Dell, and bought one. My current travel device is a Toshiba Netbook, and I wanted something with better performance. Inspiron 15 3000 Series Laptop | Dell

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I'm not often able to re-sell stuff to recoup a high percentage of my initial costs. I might well look at things differently if I found that to be a frequent occurrence, but I more or less view computers as items that I am purchasing for myself with no hope or expectation of resale.

I don't tend to hold onto tech for more than a year in most cases if I can recoup a good percentage of the initial cost thru sale ..

And of course, like I always say, do what works for best you .. my riffs on things like this are just that, my riffs .. :)

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
When writing, on previous computers, I would get the virtual memory message frequently. This one is powerful in that way, even though multiple other functions are burned out. The problem is when I have large PDF files open for research purposes, and large files on the writing project, as well as wunderground, FB, e-mail, and here, and another tab opened for research purposes.

Virtual memory error suggests that either you're running out of space on your hard drive or have manually over-ridden the default settings and have set it too low for your situation. Maybe look into both of those?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I'm in the "use it until it either dies or is no longer cost effective to upgrade" camp.

My desktop was custom built for me some years back, had a few upgrades - and has so much software, customization and such on it that, short of a restore from a current disk image would take too long to get back to the way I want it to just change out yearly. As long as it does what I want in an acceptable amount of time, I'm happy. And lazy :)

Laptop doesn't have as much on it, and since it was meant to be a travel machine, that's fine for my uses.

Both the above are Win 7.

And just recently (well, couple months back) replaced my aging Android tablet with a Win8.1 Asus Transformer - last years version, on sale at about $20 more than a similar screen size Android tablet (without keyboard!) would have been. Great for web surfing, email, and, in tablet mode, books.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Virtual memory error suggests that either you're running out of space on your hard drive or have manually over-ridden the default settings and have set it too low for your situation. Maybe look into both of those?
No problem at present, since the present computer has plenty of space. If I decide to severely crimp spending this month and get that refurb Wal-mart deal, I will probably end up using this one for writing, and the other for recreation, thus sidestepping any attempts at breaking into those files, and any limitations of the fun laptop. I have 76% free space on my hard drive. LOL. I am getting to the point of frustration with telephone communication that video chat is very enticing. Hopefully the external audio card I am expecting in a few days will suffice for now. I have told my family that this is going to be my preferred means of communication for anything other than short phone-calls.

My low-end Kindle is extremely inconvenient to use for anything other than reading, and I am satisfied with it.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Seems I missed Torey's anniversary. 32 years? Wow, that is quite an accomplishment.

I use my laptop for everything. It is a low end Acer Aspore, about 6-7?years old. Upgraded to Win 7. Even survived a coffee dump on the keyboard years ago. Thank goodness I drink my coffee black. It still plugs along. I am also one who runs them til they fade away or fail miserably. I do make regular backups of my data. Which reminds me, ai need to do one. Gonna look for a good deal on a 32 gb flash/thumb drive as that's all I need. Last backup only took about 16 gb but I have more pics and music now. I keep old backups. Found puppy pictures of Tasha on an old thumb drive that are not currently on this laptop.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Seems I missed Torey's anniversary. 32 years? Wow, that is quite an accomplishment.

I use my laptop for everything. It is a low end Acer Aspore, about 6-7?years old. Upgraded to Win 7. Even survived a coffee dump on the keyboard years ago. Thank goodness I drink my coffee black. It still plugs along. I am also one who runs them til they fade away or fail miserably. I do make regular backups of my data. Which reminds me, ai need to do one. Gonna look for a good deal on a 32 gb flash/thumb drive as that's all I need. Last backup only took about 16 gb but I have more pics and music now. I keep old backups. Found puppy pictures of Tasha on an old thumb drive that are not currently on this laptop.

PNY Compact Attache 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Blue P-FD32GCOMB-GES3 - Best Buy

HP 128GB HP V150W Flash Drive - Black, USB 2.0, Capless Design - P-FD128HP150-GE at TigerDirect.com

PNY Compact Attache 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Blue P-FD64GCOMB-GE - Best Buy

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.

Hmm...I just found three of those things in different drawers, forgot what they were for, tho i do know that when I bought two of them they were the wrong thing, as my GD informed me:blush: So now i have 21 GB's!

Did y'all know that i am abysmally PC illiterate?!

Two years ago I bought a laptop cuz I'd moved into an old fol....I mean senior citizen complex ...and they supposedly had the buildings wired for wifi. Long story short, after many attempts, even going outside on the veranda and lotsa cussing n carrying on, found out that the other building was wired and the strength of that was supposed to carry over to the building that I was in. In actuality it only reached the first floor where the mngement office was. So I gave it to my GD and got a 3-in-one with a keyboard and wireless mouse....that's as up-to-date as this ole broad is gonna go:D

uh..what do ya use these BB things for? Just saving pics and such?

( I suppose I should take a PC class...a very short pc class...)

Last edited:

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
"Ain't 'nuff room fer no dagnab plates. My toophs mesh well just like dey are!"

When I was young, dumb and phull o' phun, my clothes had to be phorm phitted to my athletic physique. Now, I buy loose clothing to hide my phorm!
That reminds me, I need to donate my two dozen or so, still presentable, Guy Harvey t-shirts to da church clothing drive...
reminder%20finger.png
What size are those Guy Harvey shirts. If they're XXL I'll pay for the shipping. My favorite T-Shirts.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
And then there's the people who buy Apple computers. :rolleyes:

(Dislaimer - not flaming Apple folks, I'm one)
Me too. Had PCs all the way from a Leading Edge 8088 machine to a Pentium I built myself. Got into Graphic Arts when I retired from the Navy and bought my first Mac. I currently use a 2008 version Imac and absolutely love it. Only thing I have had to do to it is replace the original hard drive and add a couple of Gigs of ram to it. It is running the latest version of OS X without complaint. You can't say that about a 2008 PC. Bet it wouldn't run Windows 10 without major upgrades if even then.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Come to the Hangout....you can be invisable and not lonely...the best of both worlds:)
I second the invitation. You can leave the camera off if you want but, please don't. I feel it makes the conversation better when you can see the originator. Facial expressions convey a boatload of information.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
hmm... every left step I'd be falling over...

oh wait...I studied the pic a little more...they have them on each leg:rolleyes:

and aren't they a little young to be so lazy?!
Maybe their crippled. Doubt it but, could be testing them. I have read about them and they are going to be a boon to the paraplegic someday soon.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
I actually use my laptop instead of a desktop, and use my tablet for anything portable. The tablet has been a godsend in my current sojourn away from home. I'm typing right now in the dining room while waiting for occupational therapy, and it would be hard to haul my 17" laptop around in the wheelchair all day. At night I put a pair of headphones on so I can listen to music instead of my roommate's TV.

At home I use the tablet for reading in bed, listening to music, and some video streaming, though my TV is better for that. The TV is smart enough to handle everything but Acorn TV, and I just got a$30 Roku for that. I take it along to appointments so I can read or surf while I'm waiting around.
I too use my tablet more than the PC however,believe it or not I use my cell phone more than both of them put together. Probably 85% of my posts here are made with my Galaxy Note 4 cell phone. The screen is large enough that I can read quite easily on it so it is almost like reading a paperback novel. It uses the same chrome browser that I use on the Mac and I can sync the two. Kind of cool. Since I've been doing the Hangout thing lately I have been using the desktop more (I'm on it now).

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Don't know if I'm going to make the hangout tonight. Tonight is "This Old House Hour" night on the local PBS station and it's one of my favorites. It is a repeat but I've only seen it once so I don't really have all the dialog memorized. :lol: I'll stop in around 7pm to see what's going on. Personally I would rather spend time with you all than a repeat on TV. That maybe didn't come out right but I hope you know what I mean. Love you all a lot and would much rather spend time with my friends than the tube. Just don't want to make a habit of leaving momma (Doree) sitting in the living room by herself. We have been around each other 24/7 for about a year and a half now and, not being mean, it can get old sometime. A little time apart can be a good thing occasionally.:rolleyes:
:)

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Okay, I think my spunky spurt is over. I did the car thing and then daddy wanted to go to Sam's with me to get gas. We walked around and bought $46 of healthy eating. Didn't get much. If it is healthy. . . it costs more.

Came home and did all the trim push mowing so daddy wouldn't do it. It started raining on me but I got finished. Just so happens. . . I won the wet t-shirt contest also. heehee Of course, I was the only one that got wet. But it feels good to git-r-done.

Loved the turkey burgers. Just put garlic, pepper and worcestershire sauce. Put it in a pan with just a drip or two of olive oil. It was daddy approved. I bet it would be even better on the grill. I will definitely buy these again even if they are a little over a dollar a patty.

Hope everyone has had a good day and evening hugs to all that want em'.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Tried the imac a few yars back wen they put an intel in it. Not a fan. Had a 3 year old pc that ran rings around it. Never looked back.

Now as far as prices... sorry but there is no way in "heck" that you can tell me a $750+ phone costs more than $50 or so to build.

Ain't that the truth. Over the last year I've checked into special offers from Verizon to upgrade our phones. Always turned out to be $500+ dollars to get 2 new ones. Then on Father's Day our daughter told me about a Father's day sale @ Verizon. I could hardly believe it was real coming from Verizon but we got 2 new iPhone 6's for $100. I can handle $50 per phone.

I'm pretty sure, like a Segway, the units have built in gyroscopes .. Mike and Janet can tell you all about Segways (you two didn't think I remembered that story.. ;))

Don't remind me! My injured knee reminded me for almost a year after that sojourn.

I found a cheaper price, direct from Dell, and bought one. My current travel device is a Toshiba Netbook, and I wanted something with better performance. Inspiron 15 3000 Series Laptop | Dell

hmm - don't know which of those you got ... but I would of gone another $30 for the Pentium over the Celuron and then going there ... add another $30 for the external optical drive.

I'm in the "use it until it either dies or is no longer cost effective to upgrade" camp.

My desktop was custom built for me some years back, had a few upgrades - and has so much software, customization and such on it that, short of a restore from a current disk image would take too long to get back to the way I want it to just change out yearly. As long as it does what I want in an acceptable amount of time, I'm happy. And lazy :)

Laptop doesn't have as much on it, and since it was meant to be a travel machine, that's fine for my uses.

Both the above are Win 7.

And just recently (well, couple months back) replaced my aging Android tablet with a Win8.1 Asus Transformer - last years version, on sale at about $20 more than a similar screen size Android tablet (without keyboard!) would have been. Great for web surfing, email, and, in tablet mode, books.

Me too -- I don't like upgrading computers. I get them setup the way I like and use them as long as I can.

Me too. Had PCs all the way from a Leading Edge 8088 machine to a Pentium I built myself. Got into Graphic Arts when I retired from the Navy and bought my first Mac. I currently use a 2008 version Imac and absolutely love it. Only thing I have had to do to it is replace the original hard drive and add a couple of Gigs of ram to it. It is running the latest version of OS X without complaint. You can't say that about a 2008 PC. Bet it wouldn't run Windows 10 without major upgrades if even then.

After too many years of supporting and maintaining Microsoft desktops and enterprise servers - I broke the bank and bought a couple Mac Laptops when we retired. Was just looking for a change and not wanting to think about compatible dll's again in my life. It took a couple months to get used to it - but I'm happy with them. In 3+ years I haven't had an application or update fail to install properly, don't run any anti-virus s/w and never been hit with an attack, nor had to go into the registry to manually remove garbage left over when a de-install failed to work properly. I'm just a dumb user now and like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread