Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Advice / Seriously ..

I spent Sunday as I usually do in the Spring / Summer / Fall working in the yard (and paying for it on Monday) .. at any rate, it gives me some exercise, I get some Vitamin D Sun, and I generally have a chance to talk to my neighbors, etc ..

At any rate, Herb (that was actually his name), a neighbor that I had been friends with for over 20 years, passed away a couple weeks back .. stroke / nursing home / dead .. (that was even though he had a Do Not Resuscitate order, and technically died at the hospital, which the hospital ignored, that's another story) .. at any rate ..

Sunday, I see a neighbor wheeling Herbs riding lawn mower over to his house .. this neighbor is not the greatest guy on the Planet .. we're talking a $4000 John Deere here .. not all that old .. I'm wondering, "What's up with that .. ??" .. blew it off, kept working .. an hour later, the same neighbor is carting Herb's gun collection over to his house .. I'm now beginning to really wonder what's up ..

Nancy, Herb's wife, I also know pretty well, so later in the evening, I walk over and knock on the door and have a little sit down with her and gently inquire about the mower and the collection .. she tells me the dude came over and asked if there was any of Herb's stuff she was going to get rid of (Herb's barely cold) ..

Nancy tells me she told the dude she had no use for the mower since she was not going to use it, the dude tells her it's worth about $100 bucks, she believes him and sells it .. he comes back and asks if there is anything else, Nancy shows him the gun collection and he tells her it's worth maybe $300 .. she says OK, and sells it .. we're talking 3 Brownings, a couple Remingtons and an Ithaca that I had actually helped Herb select ..

Now, Nancy can do with Herb's stuff what she wants, it's none of my business .. but I have been so steamed since last night .. I feel like knocking on the dudes door this evening and giving him a big piece of my mind .. and I can probably stop the gun collection sale if I really wanted to press the issue since I have a few contacts and the law here does put a degree of restriction on private sales ..

Oh, and Nancy is 85 and not in the best of health ..

What to do .. ?? :confused:
Willy, Had a hard time liking that. I think I would have to have a talk with him. Might take a law enforcement friend with me. I think it's fraud. If I didn't have a law enforcement type around I might make him an offer he can't refuse. I couldn't stand still and watch her get screwed over.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Ok. I'm confooozed. We want pitcher o' the turntables or Mike hangin? :?:
Yes.

I feel like knocking on the dudes door this evening and giving him a big piece of my mind .. and I can probably stop the gun collection sale if I really wanted to press the issue since I have a few contacts and the law here does put a degree of restriction on private sales ..
Whatever you can do the world will be a better place for it. Plus, everything that everybody else already said.

By 10 PM last night, I was so ...... I was ready to strap on the 9 and pound on his door .. the guy's about 20 years younger than me, but not in that great a shape .. decided that was probably not a good idea ..
That was sound reasoning right thar.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Advice / Seriously ..

Now, Nancy can do with Herb's stuff what she wants, it's none of my business .. but I have been so steamed since last night .. I feel like knocking on the dudes door this evening and giving him a big piece of my mind .. and I can probably stop the gun collection sale if I really wanted to press the issue since I have a few contacts and the law here does put a degree of restriction on private sales ..

Willie,

Just my outraged .02 FRN...

First off, utilize your local law enforcement influence to highlight the firearms sale, IMMEDIATELY!

Next, there must be at least a couple of senior citizen advocate organizations in your area. Alert AND use 'em!

Here in FL, there are several severe laws that aptly punish anyone 'abusing'/taking advantage of seniors. Hopefully MO has a few also.

As for confronting the azzhat, let your LE 'connections' do their due diligence first. Just their knowledge and presence will hopefully accomplish much more than any face-to-face twix you and the molecule of scum!

It churns my stomach to see and hear of the all too common abuse of the vulnerable...

Here's hoping that you can initiate justice and then relax! If you would, please keep us posted!

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Willie,

Just my outraged .02 FRN...

First off, utilize your local law enforcement influence to highlight the firearms sale, IMMEDIATELY!

Next, there must be at least a couple of senior citizen advocate organizations in your area. Alert AND use 'em!

Here in FL, there are several severe laws that aptly punish anyone 'abusing'/taking advantage of seniors. Hopefully MO has a few also.

As for confronting the azzhat, let your LE 'connections' do their due diligence first. Just their knowledge and presence will hopefully accomplish much more than any face-to-face twix you and the molecule of scum!

It churns my stomach to see and hear of the all too common abuse of the vulnerable...

Here's hoping that you can initiate justice and then relax! If you would, please keep us posted!
Yeh, What he said. Looks like great advice to me.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Advice / Seriously ..

I would definitely mess with the gun sale. This guy is a &#*%$* for taking advantage of a poor woman during a crisis. She has enough to worry about with her husband's sudden passing without being cheated by some piece of dog doo...

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Willy, Had a hard time liking that. I think I would have to have a talk with him. Might take a law enforcement friend with me. I think it's fraud. If I didn't have a law enforcement type around I might make him an offer he can't refuse. I couldn't stand still and watch her get screwed over.
She elderly? Most states have laws specifically addressing defrauding the elderly.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Advice / Seriously ..

I spent Sunday as I usually do in the Spring / Summer / Fall working in the yard (and paying for it on Monday) .. at any rate, it gives me some exercise, I get some Vitamin D Sun, and I generally have a chance to talk to my neighbors, etc ..

At any rate, Herb (that was actually his name), a neighbor that I had been friends with for over 20 years, passed away a couple weeks back .. stroke / nursing home / dead .. (that was even though he had a Do Not Resuscitate order, and technically died at the hospital, which the hospital ignored, that's another story) .. at any rate ..

Sunday, I see a neighbor wheeling Herbs riding lawn mower over to his house .. this neighbor is not the greatest guy on the Planet .. we're talking a $4000 John Deere here .. not all that old .. I'm wondering, "What's up with that .. ??" .. blew it off, kept working .. an hour later, the same neighbor is carting Herb's gun collection over to his house .. I'm now beginning to really wonder what's up ..

Nancy, Herb's wife, I also know pretty well, so later in the evening, I walk over and knock on the door and have a little sit down with her and gently inquire about the mower and the collection .. she tells me the dude came over and asked if there was any of Herb's stuff she was going to get rid of (Herb's barely cold) ..

Nancy tells me she told the dude she had no use for the mower since she was not going to use it, the dude tells her it's worth about $100 bucks, she believes him and sells it .. he comes back and asks if there is anything else, Nancy shows him the gun collection and he tells her it's worth maybe $300 .. she says OK, and sells it .. we're talking 3 Brownings, a couple Remingtons and an Ithaca that I had actually helped Herb select ..

First you have to calm down. Not sure how you do that because I'm steamed just thinking about it and I don't even know the people. That scumbag is a predator and, well, now I have to calm down. That being said, if you can calmly sit down with Nancy and explain what just happened and tell her what you think should be done, then let her decide how to proceed. It is her final decision, but she may not realize how badly she's been ripped off.

We had a situation here where a woman contacted Mike after her husband died. He had told her that after he was gone she should sell his stuff. She remembered him going to the Main Line Fly Tyers so she contacted Mike. Mike and a friend looked over her husband's things and over the next few months sold it for her and ended up getting her several thousand dollars. She had no idea what she had and fortunately recognized that she needed help. And fortunately for her she went to the right place. Nancy is so vulnerable right now. Just because she's not going to use that stuff doesn't mean it's worthless.

What do you think people. Maybe we need to organize a road trip and take care of that creep. Will it matter at our age to finally end up with a group assault charge?

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Road trip! Road trip! :D Worst case scenario... we get free room n' board for life! LOL

But really, not defending pond scum, but right now she's in a dark place in her life. Letting her know she got scammed is probably not a good idea. Not to mention we really don't know if she agreed to that price because she just wanted it out of her sight for some reason.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Road trip! Road trip! :D Worst case scenario... we get free room n' board for life! LOL

But really, not defending pond scum, but right now she's in a dark place in her life. Letting her know she got scammed is probably not a good idea. Not to mention we really don't know if she agreed to that price because she just wanted it out of her sight for some reason.
a VERY good point. I think we are assuming a bit here.

Hold off on the bucket of fire ants.

Rotowoman

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2014
Louisiana
Warning, Jeff and Kay, Bigbells lunch picture is at the bottom of this post.

Healthiness level: good +
Tastiness level: excellent
Stomach-filling level: bodacious

One huge chicken breast. If I'm walkin' down the street and a chicken that big is walking toward me, I'm moving to the other side of the street. Pulled apart by hand to make the thickness fairly uniform, liberally showered with oregano, grilled for 12 minutes on the George Foreman. Cut into slices after cooking.

Sweet pickle slices and tomato slices cut into smaller pieces. 12" burrito. Dat's all, except for the camera shadow at the bottom with my plate sittin' in my lap. It were really good.

View attachment 469195

Sorry, Bells, as pretty as it is, I just can't get into it. I have no appetite at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread