Status
Not open for further replies.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Just because she's not going to use that stuff doesn't mean it's worthless.

What do you think people. Maybe we need to organize a road trip and take care of that creep. Will it matter at our age to finally end up with a group assault charge?

Think I could handle 'nother trip to da St. L area. Besides, Willie has dat bag wine!

But really, not defending pond scum, but right now she's in a dark place in her life. Letting her know she got scammed is probably not a good idea. Not to mention we really don't know if she agreed to that price because she just wanted it out of her sight for some reason.

a VERY good point. I think we are assuming a bit here.

Hold off on the bucket of fire ants.

Assuming?!?! Seriously?!?! An 85 yo widow in less than prime health?!?! What if she was your mother or relative and you're not there?!?!

I say notify the authorities/agencies with them handling the situation and meanwhile 'spread da word' neighborhood wide (like that idea also, assuming they are of Willie's nature).

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Very true. But it's a tough call without knowing exactly what happened. :(
I'm assuming it happened just as Willie said and that if there's more we should know, he'll tell us. For the time being I'm frankly bristling a little about the thought of making excuses for the crook who stole from the lady.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
You guys are funny ... it's a sad situation, yet I'm still chuckling ...

I contacted a Fed Marshal I know, since they are really the best at Fed / State intermingled things .. in a nutshell, if she sold by free will, there's really not a lot that can be done .. she'll still have to sign off on the weapons transfer, and the only way to hold it up is to tell her how bad she got ripped .. the dude apparently already had her sign off on a handwritten bill of sale for all the goods ..

So, if I tell her how bad she got ripped, ask her to try and cancel the deal on at least the fire arms, I would then be .. 1) Letting her know she got scammed 2) Expecting a fairly fragile recent widow, not in the best of health, to confront the dude .. and I can't legally speak for her myself ..

I did drop by the dudes house ..

Willie : "I know what you did .. "
Dude : "I don't know what your talking about."
Willie : "The rip job you did on Nancy"
Dude : "She sold me the stuff, big deal .. You jealous you didn't get it .. ?"
Willie : "Your gonna pay, one way or another."

yadda yadda yadda, back and forth, continued escalation ..

Dude : "Get the F$%# off my property or I'm calling the cops."

I'll see what I can do further, but it does not really look like much .. my math says she got $400 bucks for probably $7500 worth of stuff .. The Ithaca 1997 60th Anniversary Model 37 alone should easily bring $2200.00 on a slow day .. that's why I was so steamed ..

I know this kind of thing happens everyday, to a lot of older folks .. I've just never had it hit so close to home to a person I like and respect .. they were always great neighbors for me, and I honestly grieved for Herb when he passed, we got along well because we knew each of us had a degree of eccentricity and we were both business owners .. he loved that mower and the gun collection ..

When something like this comes down, I just always try to believe what goes around comes around .. the saddest part of all is, these type bottom feeders just go on feeding ..

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
OK, I don't grasp the reluctance to tell the woman she got ripped off. She's at least somewhat a friend, right?

All y'all PLEASE tell me if you think I'm being robbed, whether tomorrow or decades from now. I expect that of friends!

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
OK, I don't grasp the reluctance to tell the woman she got ripped off. She's at least somewhat a friend, right?

I don't think I said I've ruled it out .. I just have not decided yet if that's a good thing .. I'll have my mind made up by morning, but the problem there is he may have already consummated the transfer .. a private party sale here only requires a valid FOID card, police run the card and a 24 hour wait time starts .. I'm betting the paperwork was done this morning ..

My main consideration is, even if she knew, is she going to care enough to do anything anyway .. or am I just going to really upset her ..

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

All y'all PLEASE tell me if you think I'm being robbed, whether tomorrow or decades from now. I expect that of friends!
I don't understand wut u don't understand, biggie. :)

See, thing is, she just lost her husband. Now she may actually feel good about the few bucks she got for his stuff. Why make her feel bad about it. She's feeling down enuff and there's nothing that can really be done to get the stuff back. So essentially yer just calling her an idiot if you tell her.

Look at it this way. You find some piece of junk in the attic. Some guy says he'll give you $10 for it. You make the deal. Then find out that thing is worth $10k. How would you feel?

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
My main consideration is, even if she knew, is she going to care enough to do anything anyway .. or am I just going to really upset her ..
I don't understand wut u don't understand, biggie. :)

See, thing is, she just lost her husband. Now she may actually feel good about the few bucks she got for his stuff. Why make her feel bad about it. She's feeling down enuff and there's nothing that can really be done to get the stuff back. So essentially yer just calling her an idiot if you tell her.
Well of course you don't understand what it is that I don't understand. You're not me, so that would be impossible. My question becomes: why do you think you understand what the widow might or might not understand?

Just saying that if someone I knew was being ripped off I'd let them know rather than trying to read their mind and predict their possible reaction. To me it's just the right thing to do to let her know.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
The way that I would put it to the widow is like this:

"Was it on purpose that you sold the lawn tractor and guns for such incredibly low prices?"

That leaves her an out to say that she did it knowingly.

If she said she did not intentionally sell the items for far less than they were worth, I'd encourage her to seek the assistance of any local agency or write to one of those TV troubleshooters that confronts people who have ripped off the unsuspecting and vulnerable to such a degree.

You could perhaps give her your best recollection of what her husband had paid for the most valuable of the guns, and/or show her the used value of the John Deere.

Last edited:

Utsuru

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Arkansas, USA
image.jpg

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
Oh wow Willie - very sad to hear. This so reminds me of my MIL getting ripped off by someone that pretended to be her friend. We (my husband & I ) were tipped off by a neighbor and were very grateful that he let us know.

The so called friend was doing a bathroom renovation for her - that probably ended up costing her over $20,000 and was never finished. Not to mention he was using her credit cards to buy booze, cigarettes, gas and who knows what else. Then his girlfriend stole her car grrr - makes me furious all over and this was over 10 years ago.

Anyway - I am not sure if you can get the contact information for her daughters and at least give them a heads up as to what has happened. It may be that you cannot do anything about what has already been done - but maybe they can do something to protect her from anything further. Maybe - something about wanting to send them a sympathy card to get their contact information?

In the case of my MIL - even though we tried to get her to realize the "friend" was ripping her off - she would not agree or admit that he was. She was about 84 at the time and was shortly thereafter diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma so was not in great health. Her 95 yr old husband died shortly after all this started to - so that did not help with getting her to realize she was being ripped off. Illness and grief made it all the more difficult for her to see this so called "nice" guy was just a con artist and he was good at it. As for getting just desserts - he did end up in jail some years later - but I think that was on other illegal activities........

My husband did threaten to bring in the police if her car was not back by a specific date and time. He was also able to get some relief with some of the credit card purchases.

I think it is great that you took the time to try and do something for her - and I feel for you having to determine how to best handle this with out causing her more grief.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I don't think I said I've ruled it out .. I just have not decided yet if that's a good thing .. I'll have my mind made up by morning, but the problem there is he may have already consummated the transfer .. a private party sale here only requires a valid FOID card, police run the card and a 24 hour wait time starts .. I'm betting the paperwork was done this morning ..

That's why I said you should let her know of your concern and let her decide whether or not to do anything about it. Tell her gently and accept her decision. At least she'd know you cared enough to be concerned for her. It's possible that she can't or might not want to do anything, but at least she would know what this guy did and would be aware of not letting him talk her into anything more. I wouldn't hesitate letting other neighbors know what's going on. People need to beware of him.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Man, I'm getting worked up real early this morning. Hopefully confronting the scum will deter him from going back but if it was me, I would rather know that I was taken advantage of no matter how bad it hurt my pride and even at this sad time. She definitely needs someone and you look good on a white steed. . .
tender.gif

Good morning everyone. . . :wub: y'all

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Man, I'm getting worked up real early this morning. Hopefully confronting the scum will deter him from going back but if it was me, I would rather know that I was taken advantage of no matter how bad it hurt my pride and even at this sad time. She definitely needs someone and you look good on a white steed. . .
tender.gif

Good morning everyone. . . :wub: y'all

also on a white mare!!!:rolleyes:

or should i be a damsel in distress?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread