Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
Thanks Str8 but which cigar is the right ? Corana, Robusto ? There are many on the page.

I will try your double exposure than. How many cigars and which have you tried ? It could be wonderful to have a good cigar juice. The 3crown from net.com is well but not strong enough to get the real feeling of a good cigar.

Last edited:

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
That's why I've spent three years learning how to extract tobacco and mix NET, along with the liquid nic I have on hand there's really nothing the government can do that will impact my vaping enjoyment.

Three years and we can learn it in a few weeks. Thanks for your tutorials ! I cant wait to try my first extracts and i want to buy a new tobacco each day. Its not good for my money bag. I want all the turkish and also cigars at first.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I am a little unclear about the difference between a single extraction at 10% vs a double extraction at 5%. Don't they both deliver the same amount of flavoring to the juice? One difference I could see is the amount of alcohol in the final mix. Could the length of the heating time also be a factor?

I'm experimenting with the cyclic heat that's involved and also lowering the required % reduction of the final extract, both effect flavor. Still don't know if it will prove beneficial yet, just experimenting. :)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Thanks Str8 but which cigar is the right ? Corana, Robusto ? There are many on the page.

I will try your double exposure than. How many cigars and which have you tried ? It could be wonderful to have a good cigar juice. The 3crown from net.com is well but not strong enough to get the real feeling of a good cigar.

They're all the same cigar (Rocky Patel signature vintage 1990), just different sizes/shapes of it. I think I used the Robusto.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
I smoked Dunhill cigarettes years ago, let us know how the extraction turns out. :pop:

I have already done a 1/2 pack PG extraction of Dunhill International. I liked it enough to proceed with a 1 1/2 pack ethanol extraction.

I decided to research Dunhill since I was unfamiliar with their cigarette brand, and they don't make any claims of "Natural" or "Organic".
Dunhill is produced by the British American Tobacco Company.
The Dunhill cigarettes with the "International" designation are only sold in the US and distributed by Reynolds American.

Dunhill (cigarette) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

British American Tobacco Company produces its own brand of e-cigarettes/e-juice called Vype.

British American Tobacco - E-cigarettes

eTank: The refillable e-cig from Vype | Vype UK

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Back in the '60s early '70s an old buddy of mine and I remembering our fascination with James Bond considered Dunhill cigs to be the height of sophistication. Neither of us could afford them on a regular basis but, during new years holiday we'd splurge and buy a pack. That fascination still holds as Dunhill was one of the first NETs I tried from MVJ.

I forgot to go by Specs yesterday and they're closed today but, soon I'll get some cig tobacco from there.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Back in the '60s early '70s an old buddy of mine and I remembering our fascination with James Bond considered Dunhill cigs to be the height of sophistication. Neither of us could afford them on a regular basis but, during new years holiday we'd splurge and buy a pack. That fascination still holds as Dunhill was one of the first NETs I tried from MVJ.

I forgot to go by Specs yesterday and they're closed today but, soon I'll get some cig tobacco from there.

If you go to the 290-W location, you will have to ask for assistance since they have the cigs in an inaccessible location.
At the Southpark Meadows location just turn left when you enter the store and go to side wall. I have not been to the Bee Cave's location.

I just recently extracted Dunhill's Nightcap & London Mixture, but I have not tried them yet. So many NET's so little time.

Reactions: 67Tele

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Great thread. Ive been enjoying ready made NETs for a few years and are the only ones I buy. I make a few light fruit and mint flavours to keep me going. I go thru a LOT of eliquid daily so I have to save.

I recently took the dive into DIY NET. I kept reading that it is really very easy and that once someone gives it a try they would be surprised how they paid so much for one ounce of ready made.

I put this thread on my "watch list" and hope it will help me through my DIY NET adventure.

So far its been a little over a week with my crushed up Acid Blonde Cigar soaking in PG.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Give the acid-blonde at least two months for a cold extraction.

Great thread. Ive been enjoying ready made NETs for a few years and are the only ones I buy. I make a few light fruit and mint flavours to keep me going. I go thru a LOT of eliquid daily so I have to save.

I recently took the dive into DIY NET. I kept reading that it is really very easy and that once someone gives it a try they would be surprised how they paid so much for one ounce of ready made.

I put this thread on my "watch list" and hope it will help me through my DIY NET adventure.

So far its been a little over a week with my crushed up Acid Blonde Cigar soaking in PG.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
@67Tele
While I haven't extracted any of these blends, I was reading the descriptions of the Frog Morton Blends and they seem to be similar to each other, Latakia based with Virginia. If the Latakia is dominate in these two blends you may end up with extracts that pretty much taste the same. Latakia dominate. The Frog Morton says it carries a top note while the Cellar carries a cube cut stave from a whiskey barrel. Not sure what that is. The Hearth and Home seems to be a more complex blend, that might also be a candidate for a heat assisted maceration ( 150 degrees for 24-48 hours crockpot or some other heating source) or an ethanol extract. Just some thoughts on it. Maybe someone that has actually extracted them has a more accurate opinion on them, mines just a guess. Gotta get the cart loaded too! Good luck to ya!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
As a though to cost savings. Has anyone tried a PG/PGA 50/50 heat extraction or a 25PG/75PGA extraction? I was thinking of trying a 25PG/75PGA extraction. I figure after a 75% reduction you would have a 75% reduced PG extract while saving 25% on your PGA bill. Any thoughts?

My only concern would be how well the sediment and oils would settle during the cold freeze.

I've read the process on recovering the alcohol but as of yet I'm not ready to make the purchases required to do this as far as finances go.

Thus far I've done 8 extractions and they all turned out great. Thank you all for the support and knowledge you've provided.

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
According to my local pharmacist, we might be able to use 100% Isopropyl alcohol to extract tobaccos since it is used all the time by pharmaceutical companies to extract lipids. I am a bit skeptical, for one thing because lipids are far different from tobaccos. Secondly, I can not bear the smell of IPA for more than two seconds. However, I might have an idea how to evaporate ALL of the alcohol in the final extract ....

Not that I am recommending anyone try this, but I am putting out the subject for discussion.

I once saw a guy on YouTube extract a cigar that way, but since his appearance seemed far away from any civilization I know of, I decided not to follow his lead. I am curious to know however if the man is still alive :?:

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
As a though to cost savings. Has anyone tried a PG/PGA 50/50 heat extraction or a 25PG/75PGA extraction? I was thinking of trying a 25PG/75PGA extraction. I figure after a 75% reduction you would have a 75% reduced PG extract while saving 25% on your PGA bill. Any thoughts?

My only concern would be how well the sediment and oils would settle during the cold freeze.

I've read the process on recovering the alcohol but as of yet I'm not ready to make the purchases required to do this as far as finances go.

Thus far I've done 8 extractions and they all turned out great. Thank you all for the support and knowledge you've provided.

I've experimented extensively with PGA/PG solvent blends at various mix ratios for both hot and cold extractions. Personally, I observed no benefits from doing so but YMMV. You can't freeze filter PG, so any oil, wax and resin leeched during the extraction process stays in the extract rendering it as gunky as a traditional NET. I don't know at what mix ratio PG would negate PGA's freeze filtering attributes, perhaps a small percentage would have minimal impact.

For the "ultimate" cost savings when using PGA (Ethanol), the reduction should be made by vacuum distilling the extract where you recover the PGA that is removed and can re-use it again and again. Because of Ethanol's low boiling point (173F), vacuum distillation is easily achieved by heating the extract to 140F and applying a light vacuum. Vacuum distillation provides a second benefit, it purifies/concentrates the ethanol. If I lived in a country where the strongest alcohol legally available was 100 proof Vodka (~50% ethanol, ~50% water), vacuum distillation can convert it to 95% ethanol, like the PGA we use. The process is known as "fractional distillation", an intimidating technical term for a process that's quite easy to accomplish. A crock pot, two modified canning jars, a $22 vacuum pump and a $30 Liebig condenser is basically all you need.

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
According to my local pharmacist, we might be able to use 100% Isopropyl alcohol to extract tobaccos since it is used all the time by pharmaceutical companies to extract lipids. I am a bit skeptical, for one thing because lipids are far different from tobaccos. Secondly, I can not bear the smell of IPA for more than two seconds. However, I might have an idea how to evaporate ALL of the alcohol in the final extract ....

Not that I am recommending anyone try this, but I am putting out the subject for discussion.

I once saw a guy on YouTube extract a cigar that way, but since his appearance seemed far from any civilization I know of, I decided not to follow his lead.

Saw the same video. I've never discussed using Isopropyl alcohol as an extraction solvent because you'd need to remove -all- of it at the end yielding a tobacco concrete, I've done it and wasn't impressed with the flavor. Same with using denatured ethyl alcohol (ethanol), while vastly cheaper there are serious health risks involved because of the government mandated toxins that are added to it. There are several other solvents (that I won't name), that work quite well but they too present health hazards if the user failed to adequately remove them. The BEST extract I've ever made involved using a toxic solvent for the extraction. Freeze filtering works with several of the toxic solvents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread