Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
....Enough air flow might have blown the oil slick over to one side of the jar.

It seems if the oil (including surface skim) comes in contact with the jar, it tends to cling to the glass and won't let go. If the fan is able to disturb the extract's surface it helps encourage contact between oil and glass which is good because the less oil there is for the filter to deal with the better. I rarely had an issue with oil being present during reduction until I began reducing the extract before the freeze filtering process (large batches). The one exception was an extract of C&D's "Pirate Kake", it was an oily mess at every stage and even ruined the dropper bottle I had stored it in.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Welp, I got my 2 extractions reduced and then micron filtered again. Glad I filtered them again because after reduction there was a lot more oils and such, not only like Str8 mentioned above on the side of the glass, but also in the pga. Took a bit longer to micron filter them since it was reduced, but worked so much better than a pg extraction.

Mixed up 2, 30 mls. One of the original american spirit and one of the perique blend, both at 8% of the reduced concentration. I believe, by my little eye, it is between 65% o 75% reduction. I used a ruler, haha, for my guesstimate, if i keep going my pick up a scale.

The mixes both look very clean, nice amber color. Leaving the tops off for a bit to let the alcohol evaporate a bit, though don't know if it matters to me, if it adds throat hit i'll take it.

Figure 30 mls. of each at that percentage will let me try them out at different stages of steeping. No real rush for this guy, i primarily vape unflavored but when i like a flavor i want tobacco, plus I like something to fiddle with.

Hoping soon my tobaccos from pipes and cigars will ship. All were in stock but it has been awhile, I messaged them and they said about age verification. When i asked to confirm whether my age was verified they said yes, it would ship in 24 hours but it has been 3 days so not sure whats going on.

EDIT: Dang, forgot. Taking the coffe filters off the top, and letting the fan just blow over the glass was a huge help in getting it to reduce, so kudos to Brad. I do think with the coffee filters on top it didn't let the air move enough to disturb the top layer that formed of oils and such like you guys mentioned.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
So mixed up the perique blend 2 days ago at 8%. I had shaken it some and let the cap stay off for over a day to let alcohol evaporate.

I think this one extracted extremely well. At only 2 days it is a very nice tobacco flavor. Kinda light right now, figure will let steep longer before deciding to bump it up. Also, the juice is very clear when mixed up, if i can vape 10 to 20 mls before needing to rewick I would be really happy.

Extremely happy with this process and the results. Excited for when my other tobaccos finally come in so I can give them a go as well.

Amazing the cost in comparison to buying a bottle, versus just extracting on your own. I didn't measure but know I didn't even use a 3rd of the pouch from the american spirit, and I got over 50 to 60 mls concentrated flavoring as a final result. Thats gonna make a lot of juice. The process is also very simple. I think like i ready in the thread earlier, the most time is spent is just waiting for the heating or freezing to be done, very little hands on time outside of transferring from one bottle to another.

Fingers crossed p&c ships my other tobaccos soon. I had read through the other threads and picked up the louissana red and the dunhill night cap since so many people felt those extracted well. I also picked up Decatur black cherry one other person mentioned just to give it a go since it would have a fruit tobacco flavor. Would like to find an apple one as well, but figure will wait till i read the other thread more and get this extracted and that. No sense in having a bunch to extract right now.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
......Also, the juice is very clear when mixed up, if i can vape 10 to 20 mls before needing to rewick I would be really happy.

Extremely happy with this process and the results. Excited for when my other tobaccos finally come in so I can give them a go as well.......

My never ending quest for best genuine tobacco flavor is what originally lead me to experiment with using hot ethanol for flavor extractions, but it was the performance boost provided by fractional freezing (freeze filtering) that really made the use of ethanol worth the additional cost.

I also like that ethanol extracts can be concentrated (condensed) for long term storage. Borrowing terminology from the vanilla extract industry, I like to store three fold (3X) strength extracts. This means I can store what normally would be a lot of extract in relatively small containers/space.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Has anyone tried using ultrasonic transducers as part of the protocol for the initial heat sequence in ethanol extractions ?

Not to my knowledge. It's been discussed but I don't think anyone has actually tried it yet. Personally, I think a large (>6 liter) heated ultrasonic cleaner would be ideal for this process. They do make models with independently controlled heat and transducer functions. 160F for 12 hours with intermittent ultrasonic bombardment? Oh yea! ;)

Better yet a submersible ultrasonic transducer controlled by a PLC, I'd love to see ladder logic play a roll in home made NETs. :)

e10-npn_small.jpg

PeterRamish

Account closed on request
Jun 17, 2017
California, USA
No it only has a vibration function. It takes about 4 × 8min cycles to heat itself up from 40F to 100F. That to me is a lot of friction.
Yeah that sounds like a solid method. My tobaccos are arriving in a few days time. Will get into it and will certainly report back on my progress. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
Better yet a submersible ultrasonic transducer controlled by a PLC, I'd love to see ladder logic play a roll in home made NETs. :)

Yes, the member quoted above said he was going to try it and report back, but I never saw the report. I have it on a long lost of 'to-do / things to trie', and I will also 'report back'[/QUOTE]

I never saw his 'report back' - I will put it on my growing list of 'to-do' things to try with NETs. To a hammer everything looks like a nail. I have a background in industrial chemistry so everything in this subject looks like a piece of process machinery waiting for a proof of concept. :)

My list so far:
1. centrifuge filtering
2. ultrasonic maceration
3. homogenizer steeping
4 .enzymatic cell wall tretment

I have gotten thu #1 and written up some of the results, posted on another forum.

DISCLAIMER: I am a total noob on NET, only dabbling in it a few short months, but with tremendous help by one of your members (nostradadus) I was able to get going a hell of a lot faster than if he had not spent hours coaching me off line in dozens of PMs. I believe you people call this a 'shout-out' any way it is a big Thank You to him.. ! )

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
......with tremendous help by one of your members (nostradadus) I was able to get going a hell of a lot faster than if he had not spent hours coaching me off line in dozens of PMs. I believe you people call this a 'shout-out' any way it is a big Thank You to him.. !

@nostradadus is a certainly an asset to our community, he, and several other outstanding members, have all helped develop/advance the relatively new process of making NETs. Although many of the original home extractors are now long gone, their willingness to experiment, discuss and share their successes and failures are what lured me to join and participate in this forum. I have enjoyed and benefited from being in the company of like minded people. :)

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Yes, the member quoted above said he was going to try it and report back
My apologies. I myself hate it when someone do that, and now I went and did it...
Actually haven't got much to report back on really, other than i've been all over the vaping place the last few months. Love it so much i'm trying everything at once.
I did three types of extractions. Cold, hot and ultrasonic. I also ultrasoniced the hot one slightly. The problem is they are all still standing in the cupboard. Been there since mid June.
I'm ashamed to say while I was waiting I got immersed in the world of tobacco DIY. Man did I get carried away. Now I have about 100 flavours that i'm playing with. I also started researching mesh and have that now in my Kayfuns, Derringer and Zepher. Planning on the Rose and Hussar next.
It looks like I finally got my hands on some ethanol. Friend of a friend is a home stiller and he will give me some of the heads (as another member here suggested...many thanks for that)

I'm planning also to get the NETS out the cupboard soon.
With the mesh i'll be hopefully able to taste better as my buds are properly fried from 40 years of smoking. I discovered that for me and my buds, there is nothing better than just waiting it out while its doing its natural steeping. I don't do any heat or ultrasonic steeping anymore. I let it develop at its own pace. Don't want to risk chasing it and loose flavour.
Also I plan to mix and match the NET and tobacco concentrates.
As the saying goes... I will report back

brewbear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2017
My apologies. I myself hate it when someone do that, and now I went and did it...
Actually haven't got much to report back on really, other than i've been all over the vaping place the last few months. Love it so much i'm trying everything at once.
I did three types of extractions. Cold, hot and ultrasonic. I also ultrasoniced the hot one slightly. The problem is they are all still standing in the cupboard. Been there since mid June.
I'm ashamed to say while I was waiting I got immersed in the world of tobacco DIY. Man did I get carried away. Now I have about 100 flavours that i'm playing with. I also started researching mesh and have that now in my Kayfuns, Derringer and Zepher. Planning on the Rose and Hussar next.
It looks like I finally got my hands on some ethanol. Friend of a friend is a home stiller and he will give me some of the heads (as another member here suggested...many thanks for that)

I'm planning also to get the NETS out the cupboard soon.
With the mesh i'll be hopefully able to taste better as my buds are properly fried from 40 years of smoking. I discovered that for me and my buds, there is nothing better than just waiting it out while its doing its natural steeping. I don't do any heat or ultrasonic steeping anymore. I let it develop at its own pace. Don't want to risk chasing it and loose flavour.
Also I plan to mix and match the NET and tobacco concentrates.
As the saying goes... I will report back
You will want to be careful with the donated heads of the still, they contain high levels of methanol, you will need to evaporate it after extaction. Ingesting methanol will cause blindness (best case) or death (worse case ).

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
You will want to be careful with the donated heads of the still, they contain high levels of methanol, you will need to evaporate it after extaction. Ingesting methanol will cause blindness (best case) or death (worse case ).
Wow. Thanks for that. Yes I plan to evaporate it very well.

brewbear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2017
Thank you! I'm excited to try this!
Really, don't go by what I say, I haven't done any of these extractions. There is a pipe tobacco I loved and used for better than 20 years that I would love to cross over to e-juice. Just wondering if the aromas will "cross over".

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
Really, don't go by what I say, I haven't done any of these extractions. There is a pipe tobacco I loved and used for better than 20 years that I would love to cross over to e-juice. Just wondering if the aromas will "cross over".
I don't have a clue! This weekend was the 1st time I vaped some and I want more!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread