Are YOU a Tootle Puffer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I just opened a Lemo 2 to troubleshoot this thing because it was spittin and givin some nasty hits. A wet rayon tail fell out. The rest of the wick (over half) was gone. Some juice crud and/or wick pieces are seen on the deck and inside the cap. I don't know which mod it was on or when it happened but nothing was runnin over 20w at the time. I wasn't aware that a wick would burn like this if wet. Probably caused by gunk igniting and continuing to burn after the power button was released. I may have inhaled some burning rayon, but I've done that before burning rope, plastic, and car tires, etc.. Temp Control might have prevented this by not allowing the juice to reach a high enough temp to burn and crud so bad...
View attachment 477993 View attachment 477994
You burned a wick in half and didn't notice o_O

I wish you took a pic of the wick in place.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
You burned a wick in half and didn't notice o_O

I wish you took a pic of the wick in place.
My kneck bolts need adjustin :) It was only half a wick piece and it fell out as I was opening it up. It was still wet. I was rotating with 3 other attys at the time. I kept hittin it briefly by mistake until I pushed it out of the way. I knew it was getting bad, but I think the last time the gunk ignited and burned the wick setting there.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
My kneck bolts need adjustin :) It was only half a wick piece and it fell out as I was opening it up. It was still wet. I was rotating with 3 other attys at the time. I kept hittin it briefly by mistake until I pushed it out of the way. I knew it was getting bad, but I think the last time the gunk ignited and burned the wick setting there.
That sounds like the mod was auto or pocket firing. With no airflow to draw liquid into the wick it will burn up like that.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
That sounds like the mod was auto or pocket firing. With no airflow to draw liquid into the wick it will burn up like that.
Not a chance on that. A gunked coil will stay red hot even after removing power....hot enough to smoke and burn a wick up.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
I've come for a moan so sorry about that but it has just been one of those weeks, first my brand new SMOK TFV4 got stolen, then the replacement, the o ring was melted onto the glass tank so when I removed the glass it ripped the o ring, so now yet again I'm waiting for a replacement. Then walking the dog over the fields I drop my black subtank into a big fresh wet steaming cow pat, plop, good jesus, hand in the muck to retrieve it.
Back home after an extensive clean, back out for my sons birthday, of course the utter idiot I am, I decided to go into the big kids play area and onto the slide, what I didn't know is that some brat had stuffed the end of the slide with a big plastic crocodile, where the tail ended up between my legs as I came down, only to look up and the wife has filmed it (no, Im not posting it !).
So all in all, a bit of bummer of a week but my bad week hopefully has put a smile on your face. Sighs

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Not a chance on that. A gunked coil will stay red hot even after removing power....hot enough to smoke and burn a wick up.
I have had this happen to me in the KF4, kept getting this nasty burnt taste so I knew it was time to clean. Took the deck off and both sides of the wick was soaked with juice, the coil was black and when I pulled on the wick, I only pulled out half. There was this charred nub where the center of the wick should have been.

I have also had this happen on one of those "Super Amazing Dual Builds", the coil just slowly burnt the wick in the middle since it couldn't get juice fast enough.

A total waste of time.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Fair enough. My DIY eliquid doesn't gunk up coils unless the coil is too big in relation to the air port. That and I only use 1-2% flavor. Learned something new today. It's a good day when that happens :)

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory

How long were you using the wick?

My Rüzgar RTA has a very narrow chamber. When the vapor goes up it hits where the top of the chimney get even narrower and, my theory is, only the lightest part of the vapor gets inhaled, the rest is pushed back into the chamber. As I said, it's a theory. I don't get noticeably bad hits off this thing, so often I forget to change the wick. I can get a slight, very slight, burnt taste and not remembering when I last changed the wick (rayon), open it up and find a blob that looks like charcoal. The wick hasn't actually burned, but it's so mixed in with carbon that it looked like it has. The inside of the chimney will also have dark goo on it if it's gone too long. The juice I vape is almost clear. I think it's the way the RTA is designed, allowing me to use a wick longer than I should have, because I didn't taste anything. When I dry burn to clean it, there is tons of smoke - no way I wouldn't have noticed if I'd been inhaling it. This was with rayon. I've had a similar thing happen with cotton, but it didn't take as long.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
Fair enough. My DIY eliquid doesn't gunk up coils unless the coil is too big in relation to the air port. That and I only use 1-2% flavor. Learned something new today. It's a good day when that happens :)
My wife is using the original coil head in a T3S for goin on 20 months now with her clear apple menthol... without even needing a cleanin. My Tiramisu and Coffee juices air pretty bad on wicks. 10 to 15% flavoring.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
@The Ocelot . I couldn't tell you how long I used the wick. I'm drippin, squonkin, and tankin in mech, VW and TC daily. But charcoal glows when ignited like the crud on a coil...:)
Your theory could hold some weight.

Last edited:

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
never had gunk catch fire and burn up the wick but I replace my wicks and dry burn my coils every 2 weeks. I use large diameter coils with a heat flux around 150mw/m>2 this may be a problem with micro coils which are longer (more turns) and use smaller wicks which increase the chance of a dry burn but could also be a product of auto firing. this is a problem with regulated mods.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
I've come for a moan so sorry about that but it has just been one of those weeks, first my brand new SMOK TFV4 got stolen, then the replacement, the o ring was melted onto the glass tank so when I removed the glass it ripped the o ring, so now yet again I'm waiting for a replacement. Then walking the dog over the fields I drop my black subtank into a big fresh wet steaming cow pat, plop, good jesus, hand in the muck to retrieve it.
Back home after an extensive clean, back out for my sons birthday, of course the utter idiot I am, I decided to go into the big kids play area and onto the slide, what I didn't know is that some brat had stuffed the end of the slide with a big plastic crocodile, where the tail ended up between my legs as I came down, only to look up and the wife has filmed it (no, Im not posting it !).
So all in all, a bit of bummer of a week but my bad week hopefully has put a smile on your face. Sighs
:).......sorry about the theft, though...at least your ST is black...

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
never had gunk catch fire and burn up the wick but I replace my wicks and dry burn my coils every 2 weeks. I use large diameter coils with a heat flux around 150mw/m>2 this may be a problem with micro coils which are longer (more turns) and use smaller wicks which increase the chance of a dry burn but could also be a product of auto firing. this is a problem with regulated mods.
Thanks, but I've had more than my share of auto firing experience. I've also experimented with post firing crud wicks burnin up to 5 seconds and even shootin up a little flame. I try to keep my stuff clean with fresh wicks but sometimes I run too many at one time on my desk and will pick up a setup that I know is low on juice or needs work and hit it by mistake. In this case, the I/2 wick that fell out was saturated with juice and there was still juice in the tank. But it had been hittin hot and nasty.

Last edited:

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
With some ejuice one can't tell if the wick is burning or not?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
My wife is using the original coil head in a T3S for goin on 20 months now with her clear apple menthol... without even needing a cleanin. My Tiramisu and Coffee juices air pretty bad on wicks. 10 to 15% flavoring.
The menthol will just eat the gunk up.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio

You know what they say
00d.jpg

:lol:

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio

I stopped using coil gunking juices, seriously they kinda freak me out vaping them not to mention constant new coils/wicking all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread