Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I'm too firm in my belief that the initiation of violence is morally wrong to start shooting at them. :blush:

True that, but there's lots of ways to engage. Tar and feathers worked very well. Perhaps there's a 21st century variety. Seems like Hollywood's getting a smathering.

I've always liked voting with the pocketbook.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Has everyone seen this discussion at John Hopkins University about 'Nicotine Regulation'? (Occurred yesterday, Thursday October 19, 2017 at 12:44 pm)

Yes, they have stopped calling it tobacco regulation perse, and are now calling it Nicotine regulation. I recommend everyone sit and see the whole thing, speaking begins after 17 minutes of nothing, so be aware of that.

Gottlieb speaks first, gives a speech.

A couple things here: he agrees that e cigarettes are a gateway drug to smoking for teens and young adults, from what I gathered.

Also, they are calling all smokers drug addicts and grouping smokers in with opiod addicts, basically. My husband took umbrage with being called a drug addict because he smokes cigarettes. (he dual uses, as I am sure everyone knows as I have mentioned it before)

Anyway, one big point in the speech does concern tobacco users and cigarette smokers, as the FDA wants to greatly reduce nicotine levels in cigarettes and somehow make them non addictive, and are trying to figure out how to do that without opening up a huge black market. (My husband literally laughed at the thought and is now planning on planting his very own tobacco patch.. lol)

So, all the other points were pretty much heard before from Gottlieb, but feel free to hear them again concerning deeming and all the main talking points about e cigarettes.

That said, now on to the 36 minute point concerning teens and vaping, there is a HUGE ad campaign going out demonizing vaping, put out BY the FDA, beginning next week on all venues where teens go, such as YouTube etc etc.

Feel free to see the ad campaign beginning at the 36 minute mark, and hit a couple minutes earlier than that to hear Gotteib speak on why they are putting out the ad campaign. It is very much anti vaping, anti nicotine in general.

Fun Fun.

Now, onto the panel of speakers, a couple anti tobacco people, Zeller, and a Professor Ken Warner from the University of Michigan (Lifelong anti tobacco personality).

Some points made, one, that it is combustible forms of nicotine delivery which is what is deadly. Everyone agrees on this point.

Speaking on the correlation between the rise of e cigarette use in teens and young adults and the lower levels of use of combustible cigarette use in teens and young adults - FDA believes the correlation is true. less cigarette use is equaling rise in e cigarette use, hence anti vaping ad campaign. Everyone happy.

Trying to keep another generation from ever trying any form of nicotine delivery.

Couple big points made. Zeller:

1) They are trying to determine what additional rules they want to pack into the deeming regulations.

2) They are not addressing nicotine levels in non-combustible delivery systems by design. (might speak to those additional rules they are thinking of piling on - don't know, FDA wont say)

3) FDA is planning on making certain that the final rules cannot be litigated, and if they are, that they cannot be won.

Zeller kept talking about the "Rules of the Road" concerning regulation, to which my husband said, "the rules of the road are "Stay the hell out of my tobacco patch" ." (Just thought that was funny..)

They are saying the final rulings on flavors still have to be determined because its a dual issue, one of teen use and one of flavored e cigarettes being helpful to people getting off combustible tobacco. But lots of talk about flavors.

Concerning nicotine levels, congress has said the FDA cannot take nicotine levels down to zero, but the FDA can regulate nicotine other than that, and determine any level they choose. Everyone happy about that.

Concern about long term use of HNB delivery systems.. some talk there. Spoke also that society may have to accept and discuss the fact that some people will need to use alternative nicotine delivery systems for life..

Hoping for a full switch from combustible tobacco to alternative nicotine delivery systems in the future, and a combustible tobacco free society in the future of the US.

BIG point made at the 1 hour and 40 minute mark, about how having a concentrated amount of large companies instead of many small companies is a good thing because it lowers competition in the marketplace and keeps prices artificially high - which makes them think it keeps use lower. The bad they see in that is the lobbying power of the larger companies because of their concentrated wealth. Hoping for a happy medium there I guess to avoid lobbying power?

Ken Warner said the hobbyist market in e cigarette community would be more difficult to sustain in a concentrated market, but from my understanding he sees that as a good thing? Not sure there if I was understanding him correctly on that point, but he did say he didn't know where that was headed (ie: the hobbyist market)

They mentioned on cigarettes that if all they end up with is another light cigarette then the regulations will have failed. Said Cornerstone of the regulations was pre market review of any claims, cant comply with regulations = cant sell products. Then spoke on enforcement of regulations etc. etc.

Ken Warner did mention the next couple years will determine e cigarette use among teens, says we need more data over next couple years and it might not be as bad as we think.

Okay, so that is some of what the video is about. Please watch the whole thing for your own take on it, I just hit a couple points here to explain whats on the video for those who cannot watch right now.

And I am off here to purchase more nicotine for my and my families future, and my husband is going to plant a bunch of tobacco. I hope all of you have a nice day.

Well, maybe just a little more nicotine wouldn't hurt.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I would like to think intelligent teenagers would want to know exactly what harm is there in vaping. How many hospital admissions? How many deaths after how many days, weeks, or years of vaping. It definitely leads to disease X and here are the statistics. A vague "it's bad for you" won't fly with any teen with a brain!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I think it's the wrong time of year to plant tobacco. He should probably wait until spring. :)

But if I didn't have a lifetime supply of nic already, I'd certainly still be working toward accumulating it on an ongoing basis. :D

I take it you have little appreciation for poetic license.

If I and my husband were to have an emotional reaction to the discussion based on what we took away from it, it would be that. It makes a smoker want to plant tobacco and a vaper want to make sure they have plenty of nic for them and theirs...

I tried to sum up the emotional reaction in the last sentence for those who could not immediately watch the whole video.. hubby is not literally planting tobacco in the fall.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
This is very disappointing, to say the least. I didn't expect much from people like Zeller, but I had some real hopes for Gottlieb. He's a smart guy. I don't understand what's happening. Is he slowly being swallowed by the swamp?

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. *sigh*

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I tried to sum up the emotional reaction in the last sentence for those who could not immediately watch the whole video.. hubby is not literally planting tobacco in the fall.

In his defense, I'm pretty sure Rossum was being sarcastic. :)

FWIW, I had the same emotional reaction to the video. Hopes crushed. I feel completely deflated. It's so sad. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
In his defense, I'm pretty sure Rossum was being sarcastic. :)

FWIW, I had the same emotional reaction to the video. Hopes crushed. I feel completely deflated. It's so sad. :facepalm:

What really bothered me was they kept calling it nicotine regulation over and over and over. Even Gottleib did. Then, as a topper, Zeller said not discussing nicotine levels in e cigarettes right now was by design.

It makes you feel less safe as a vaper, its pointing out we don't know what their ultimate design is for vaping, and if their goal is nicotine regulation, control of nicotine intake to the extent of keeping peoples levels ultimately extremely low, (but not taking it all the way to zero..lol) then our own nicotine is in great danger, if not now then definitely in the future.

Its something we have known on some level about our nicotine, but this is just more confirmation of the same; that our reasons for stocking up on things like nicotine are real, and stocking up is ultimately necessary not only due to their desire to control nicotine as a whole, but also because they are talking about manufacturing a reality that will keep prices artificially high through deeming in the future by controlling the amount of manufacturers that can enter the market.

These were tiny little comments with such big impact - it definitely shows their face.

The thing which doesn't affect us as vapers but which affects smokers is huge - to use deeming to eventually phase out analog cigarette use as a whole.

Its a side thing for us, but it will have real implications on people we know. My husband wont do things because you tell him to, or force him to... thats not who he is. Taking up vaping even part time is a big thing for him. He LIKES smoking, he likes the taste, the feel etc etc. If I can recreate that he may take up vaping full time.. but not if anyone tries to force it on him. It has to be in his way in his time, etc etc.

Tell him he has to do something he will dig in his heels and refuse... This discussion today, made him want to dig in his heels and say hell no..

I think they are misunderstanding human nature, and they are trying to manufacture what people will do (social engineering through regulation), ie: that smokers will automatically go over to alternate forms of nicotine use ... I DON'T think this will be the case if my husband is any indication of the general (smoking) public's sentiments over this - and the thing here is that your average smoker isn't paying a darn bit of attention to any of this where concerns new regulation.. if it weren't for me vaping and keeping up with deeming my husband wouldn't know a darn thing, and I bet we could take a poll and not find even one smoker who knows anything about these plans for the future of smokers.

When it hits them, it will hit them hard because the regulations by then will be set in stone. They will simply wake up one day with new supposedly non addictive cigarettes and not know what happened, and then a huge black market will be created, and it will be created fast. These people aren't going to say Oh, I need to buy a mod... nope, they are going to ask where they can get some tobacco on the black market.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I don't think it will get so far as eliminating cigarettes and tobacco altogether. They have already been grandfathered in and the FDA can't touch them. That may be their long-time goal, though.

Another prohibition? Right. Oh, when will they ever learn? ;)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I don't think it will get so far as eliminating cigarettes and tobacco altogether. They have already been grandfathered in and the FDA can't touch them. That may be their long-time goal, though.

Another prohibition? Right. Oh, when will they ever learn? ;)

No, they wont create a prohibition. As the FDA said in that panel (aka Zeller) ALL the laws have been passed that need passed to implement what they want to implement, ie: that the FDA can regulate what goes into cigarettes as far as amounts of nicotine and more. IF all the laws have been passed for them to obtain this now openly stated goal, then the grandfathering in is not necessarily a real grandfathering in - but something that is transitory in nature, for the time being. Simply a step on the path to their ultimate goal.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I don't know enough about the legality of their "visions," but it all sound a bit far-fetched to me. But it's late and I have a cold, so I'm not thinking straight.

Night, Opinionated. It's not over 'til it's over. Vaping was supposed to be completely wiped out in 2009 when the FDA started seizing shipments of e-cigs from China. That was the beginning and the end of vaping in this country. :lol:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I don't know enough about the legality of their "visions," but it all sound a bit far-fetched to me. But it's late and I have a cold, so I'm not thinking straight.

Night, Opinionated. It's not over 'til it's over. Vaping was supposed to be completely wiped out in 2009 when the FDA started seizing shipments of e-cigs from China. That was the beginning and the end of vaping in this country. :lol:

Goodnight and sleep well. Hope you feel better soon.

I fell asleep early watching tv, and now I'm up for the day in the middle of the night.. I'm planning a nap later.. lol.

As far as legality, with congress giving the fda control over regulation of tobacco products as broadly as they did and with few limitations, they have much broader authority now. i can see how they can achieve their vision, although I'm no lawyer.

As Zeller said, rules will be litigated - it's a matter of the FDA being able to make rules that are impervious to legislation.

I agree with you that reality is often different than we imagine it will be.. lol

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
As this latest news slowly sinks in, I feel it more in my chest.

Vaping is an absolute miracle. It could virtually wipe out smoking. At least, wipe out smoking for those that WANT it to. It gives such hope for a better life.

And, they don't care.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Its something we have known on some level about our nicotine, but this is just more confirmation of the same; that our reasons for stocking up on things like nicotine are real, and stocking up is ultimately necessary not only due to their desire to control nicotine as a whole, but also because they are talking about manufacturing a reality that will keep prices artificially high through deeming in the future by controlling the amount of manufacturers that can enter the market.
IMO, artificially high prices would be inevitable even if the FedGov had decided to leave us completely alone. We've already seen this begin to happen with taxes on vapestuff at the State & local level.

Its a side thing for us, but it will have real implications on people we know. My husband wont do things because you tell him to, or force him to... thats not who he is. Taking up vaping even part time is a big thing for him. He LIKES smoking, he likes the taste, the feel etc etc. If I can recreate that he may take up vaping full time.. but not if anyone tries to force it on him. It has to be in his way in his time, etc etc.

Tell him he has to do something he will dig in his heels and refuse... This discussion today, made him want to dig in his heels and say hell no..
If I were still a smoker, I would feel exactly the same way.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I love the "gateway" concept, it is so versatile. It explains absolutely nothing but it continues to fool so many. It can be used, by the unscrupulous, to justify almost any conceivable prohibition.

Right!??? Stupidity can lead to, well…stupidity!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Nice synopsis, Opinionated. I have to commend your stamina for the cause; I appreciate your sitting through that and producing an articulate digest of the proceedings. I no longer have the strength or will to endure the justifications of activists, politicians and those who just know what is best for me and for others.

A soon as I hear or read someone using the concept of the "gateway" to justify their actions, I know immediately that I am attending to either an unthinking though probably "well intended" fool or a manipulative charlatan.

Thanks once again, Opinionated.

Has everyone seen this discussion at John Hopkins University about 'Nicotine Regulation'? (Occurred yesterday, Thursday October 19, 2017 at 12:44 pm)

Yes, they have stopped calling it tobacco regulation perse, and are now calling it Nicotine regulation. I recommend everyone sit and see the whole thing, speaking begins after 17 minutes of nothing, so be aware of that.

Gottlieb speaks first, gives a speech.

A couple things here: he agrees that e cigarettes are a gateway drug to smoking for teens and young adults, from what I gathered.

Also, they are calling all smokers drug addicts and grouping smokers in with opiod addicts, basically. My husband took umbrage with being called a drug addict because he smokes cigarettes. (he dual uses, as I am sure everyone knows as I have mentioned it before)

Anyway, one big point in the speech does concern tobacco users and cigarette smokers, as the FDA wants to greatly reduce nicotine levels in cigarettes and somehow make them non addictive, and are trying to figure out how to do that without opening up a huge black market. (My husband literally laughed at the thought and is now planning on planting his very own tobacco patch.. lol)

So, all the other points were pretty much heard before from Gottlieb, but feel free to hear them again concerning deeming and all the main talking points about e cigarettes.

That said, now on to the 36 minute point concerning teens and vaping, there is a HUGE ad campaign going out demonizing vaping, put out BY the FDA, beginning next week on all venues where teens go, such as YouTube etc etc.

Feel free to see the ad campaign beginning at the 36 minute mark, and hit a couple minutes earlier than that to hear Gotteib speak on why they are putting out the ad campaign. It is very much anti vaping, anti nicotine in general.

Fun Fun.

Now, onto the panel of speakers, a couple anti tobacco people, Zeller, and a Professor Ken Warner from the University of Michigan (Lifelong anti tobacco personality).

Some points made, one, that it is combustible forms of nicotine delivery which is what is deadly. Everyone agrees on this point.

Speaking on the correlation between the rise of e cigarette use in teens and young adults and the lower levels of use of combustible cigarette use in teens and young adults - FDA believes the correlation is true. less cigarette use is equaling rise in e cigarette use, hence anti vaping ad campaign. Everyone happy.

Trying to keep another generation from ever trying any form of nicotine delivery.

Couple big points made. Zeller:

1) They are trying to determine what additional rules they want to pack into the deeming regulations.

2) They are not addressing nicotine levels in non-combustible delivery systems by design. (might speak to those additional rules they are thinking of piling on - don't know, FDA wont say)

3) FDA is planning on making certain that the final rules cannot be litigated, and if they are, that they cannot be won.

Zeller kept talking about the "Rules of the Road" concerning regulation, to which my husband said, "the rules of the road are "Stay the hell out of my tobacco patch" ." (Just thought that was funny..)

They are saying the final rulings on flavors still have to be determined because its a dual issue, one of teen use and one of flavored e cigarettes being helpful to people getting off combustible tobacco. But lots of talk about flavors.

Concerning nicotine levels, congress has said the FDA cannot take nicotine levels down to zero, but the FDA can regulate nicotine other than that, and determine any level they choose. Everyone happy about that.

Concern about long term use of HNB delivery systems.. some talk there. Spoke also that society may have to accept and discuss the fact that some people will need to use alternative nicotine delivery systems for life..

Hoping for a full switch from combustible tobacco to alternative nicotine delivery systems in the future, and a combustible tobacco free society in the future of the US.

BIG point made at the 1 hour and 40 minute mark, about how having a concentrated amount of large companies instead of many small companies is a good thing because it lowers competition in the marketplace and keeps prices artificially high - which makes them think it keeps use lower. The bad they see in that is the lobbying power of the larger companies because of their concentrated wealth. Hoping for a happy medium there I guess to avoid lobbying power?

Ken Warner said the hobbyist market in e cigarette community would be more difficult to sustain in a concentrated market, but from my understanding he sees that as a good thing? Not sure there if I was understanding him correctly on that point, but he did say he didn't know where that was headed (ie: the hobbyist market)

They mentioned on cigarettes that if all they end up with is another light cigarette then the regulations will have failed. Said Cornerstone of the regulations was pre market review of any claims, cant comply with regulations = cant sell products. Then spoke on enforcement of regulations etc. etc.

Ken Warner did mention the next couple years will determine e cigarette use among teens, says we need more data over next couple years and it might not be as bad as we think.

Okay, so that is some of what the video is about. Please watch the whole thing for your own take on it, I just hit a couple points here to explain whats on the video for those who cannot watch right now.

And I am off here to purchase more nicotine for my and my families future, and my husband is going to plant a bunch of tobacco. I hope all of you have a nice day.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
…As far as legality, with congress giving the fda control over regulation of tobacco products as broadly as they did and with few limitations, they have much broader authority now. i can see how they can achieve their vision, although I'm no lawyer.

As Zeller said, rules will be litigated - it's a matter of the FDA being able to make rules that are impervious to legislation.

I agree with you that reality is often different than we imagine it will be.. lol

Our autocrats, technocrats and bureaucrats know one thing…the creation of artificial scarcity is the path to gov ruled monopoly, their preferred conduct of enterprise. The effective eradication of private property.

Remember petroleum is derived from sea shells.

They fail when our actions make us impervious to their regulations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread