Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I found with my protank builds that dryburning and reusing coils isn't as great as I first thought. You get a good run off the first fresh build then after you poop the wicking, dryburn and reuse the coil it doesn't last as long the 2nd time and so on the more times you dryburn (reuse) the faster the coil craps out afterwards. I just rebuild the whole setup now and IMO get more mileage out of the coil than reusing, since the subtank are quick to rebuild. I use a lot of 30 gauge wire for my wife's tootle puffing and I'm assuming the thinner the wire the less tolerance it has to multiple dryburns. I use 26 and 28 but so use to tossing build after its time I'm not sure about repeated dryburning of the thicker wires. They say the subtank insulator burns real easy but I was tossing the spent builds without reusing back when I was still using protanks.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Got lots of Vape mail today. Got me some wire, some cotton, and a coil jig. Got me an EHPro Kayfun V2. I got a gram scale cause that measuring liquid by the drop has to GO!! And, I bought another Kanger Tank. I'm getting there.
Fun! I'm looking forward to seeing your results with coil wrapping, Roto. You're going to be great at it!

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Pretty sure it's 100 mg/ml, not 1000 mg/ml. I'd use it, but with 7 liters of 100 mg/ml nic in the freezer, don't need it.

On the Provari 2.5s that I bought: I got my first order, for 3 of them, placed by 12:03 am Central Time. I was afraid they would go out of stock so wanted to get the order in ASAP. At first, my shopping cart wouldn't load: heavy web traffic to blame for that, I imagine.

Then I went back and placed an order for 5 more. Shipping cost me $9 for the first order of 3, then another $12 for the second order of 5. Still, a pretty good deal, I think, with my net cost being just under $28 ($27.625) each.

Are both your orders still 'complete' for what you ordered? Quite a few people got calls yesterday from Vixen Vapors saying their 'inventory program' messed up last night. Some colors were out of stock so those were dropped from peeps orders, and a number of folks were substituted polished SS instead of satin SS finishes. VV was making the calls to make sure peeps were OK w/ the substitutions and/or apologizing for the mistake and not being able to ship all the colors, etc.

I thought that was pretty darn good customer service making all those follow-up phone calls.

Question. I recoiled all eight bases (two spares) at the beginning of the month. Only changed out one. Should I do rewicking on a monthly basis? Each Orchid has gone through approximately 55 ml of juice. My tobacco is the only one that is a wick and coil crudder. Or should I just rewick and recoil as as needed when I have to switch out bases? I have other things to do, but it goes fast when I do them all at once. Now that I have consistent operation going-----

I like to do re-wicking and/or coiling in batches not all at once. So even couple weeks I'll do a batch. It spreads out the work and kind of insures there's always some atty's around that are vaping decently.

Got lots of Vape mail today. Got me some wire, some cotton, and a coil jig. Got me an EHPro Kayfun V2. I got a gram scale cause that measuring liquid by the drop has to GO!! And, I bought another Kanger Tank. I'm getting there.

Woohoo! Good for you ... on to the next phase of your vaping journey. :thumbs:

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
wahoooo!!! You also ordered the rebuild kit didn't you? If so, you'll have two coil jigs, but, hey ya can't have too many i say. lol If you decide to do dual coils at some point two will come in handy. You'll have to let me us know what you think about weighing. I know myrany or mmsj5qxv???? lol likes it. someone here. Sorry mms, I just can never remember your username.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada

Ditching the syringes and scaling by weight is the way to go. Be sure to plug the weights into the calculator so the scaling by weight not mls.

I dunno if you have this already or what nic your using but this is what I plugged into my juicemeup.
I use 48mg nic, its more forgiving than 100nic if you not paying attention so if my 1.14 grams per mil for 48mg nic is wrong, please tell me.

Weight of PG: 1.038 grams per ml
Weight of VG: 1.26 grams per ml
Weight of Pure Nicotine: 1.01 grams per ml
Weight of 100mg in PG: 1.0352 grams per ml
Weight of 100mg in VG: 1.235 grams per ml
48mg 50VG/50PG based nicotine solution 1.14 grams per ml.
Flavors range of .93g per ml to 1.07g per ml.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    There is always a harder way to do things!

I use a Pyrex measuring cup
    50ml of 100mg nicotine/PG
    150ml of PG
    200ml of VG

Then add 1 drop/ml of flavoring when filling 30ml bottles for use.

But it's 19 degrees outside, so I think I'll go out & sit in a snow bank and vape :lol:

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Then again, you might not need to be that finicky.

I vape around 18mg and around 70/30 PG/VG, so mix my "base" down to 20 mg 60/40. Flavoring is all PG.

For "test" batches I use a 10 ml graduated cylinder, 9 ml of my base and add what flavor(s) percent for the mix. May wind up with 9.5 or 10.5 ml at a nic level and pg/vg ratio that's "close enough".

(And is seems that TJ, an hour ahead of me in time zones, has had more coffee, fingers moving faster! :lol:)

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
    So yesterday, what triggered my concern about rewicking is that I must have developed a short in one of my attys. I have been using kicks. I thought the kick was ruined, and had a terrible time with fitting the replacement kick into the nemmy kick tube. Tried to file it down, but still didn't fit. Finally, I put the kick tube and ring between the two longer tubes. The kick fits fine inside the long tube on top. Tried the supposedly fried kick, and it is fine again.

Moral: You learn something every day, especially if you stick with the same equipment and iron out the kinks in that.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Moral: You learn something every day, especially if you stick with the same equipment and iron out the kinks in that.

:thumb:

I agree. Even the "early" devices all had/have their quirks which, once mastered, can provide an acceptable vape. Might not be good for cloud comps, but that's not what I'm after! Heck, I usually have a spinner type with either a T3S or PT type single coil in my pocket for backup and/or flavor change.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 18, 2012
    Texas, near Fort Hood

I use a Pyrex measuring cup
    50ml of 100mg nicotine/PG
    150ml of PG
    200ml of VG
    I do exactly the same thing........except I break a liter of nic into 120 ml bottles, keep those in the freezer. Pull one out.....dump in a jar, add enough pg and vg with a measuring cup to make my mix. Mine is 24 mg 70 pg (may make the next one 75 pg) and I end up with about 500 mls of unflavored base. Draw up ever how much I want to flavor, and flavor it! You lost me at the 1 drop/ml though, didn't quite understand that. But yeah, easy peasy lemon squeezy. If it were more complicated than that I wouldn't wanna do it.

TJ would proud of you!!

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
    Oh and, always install a kick from the end of the tube that has external threads.
    I tried that, too.

Yep, TJ and I have some attitudes in common. Commonalities in cultural background, too, although we don't talk about it openly.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 7, 2014
    East Coast, USA
    I ordered a bunch of flavoring from Bull City Vapor, last week, and it arrived today. The Nude Nic order is due tomorrow. Then, it's off to the races! After reading about all y'all's successes, I'm very excited to start mixing. Woot!!!

Debadoo

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 18, 2012
    Texas, near Fort Hood
    I ordered a bunch of flavoring from Bull City Vapor, last week, and it arrived today. The Nude Nic order is due tomorrow. Then, it's off to the races! After reading about all y'all's successes, I'm very excited to start mixing. Woot!!!
    kewl. Do you have some recipes to start out with?

Rotowoman

ECF Veteran
    Sep 27, 2014
    Louisiana
    Fun! I'm looking forward to seeing your results with coil wrapping, Roto. You're going to be great at it!

Well, thanks LittleBird, but I don't know how great I'll be at it. I'm sure after I fiddle with it a while and screw up some, I'll get it. I may be slow, but I eventually get there. :)

Woohoo! Good for you ... on to the next phase of your vaping journey. :thumbs:

Thanks,Mike! I'm slow, but I'm sure.

wahoooo!!! You also ordered the rebuild kit didn't you? If so, you'll have two coil jigs, but, hey ya can't have too many i say. lol If you decide to do dual coils at some point two will come in handy. You'll have to let me us know what you think about weighing. I know myrany or mmsj5qxv???? lol likes it. someone here. Sorry mms, I just can never remember your username.

Deb, I gots it,Baby! I gots it. Oh, I'll fill y'all in on the weighing. It HAS to be better than dropping myself to death and losing count.

Ditching the syringes and scaling by weight is the way to go. Be sure to plug the weights into the calculator so the scaling by weight not mls.

I didn't forget, but thanks for the reminder. :D

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    Well, thanks LittleBird, but I don't know how great I'll be at it. I'm sure after I fiddle with it a while and screw up some, I'll get it. I may be slow, but I eventually get there. :)

Thanks,Mike! I'm slow, but I'm sure.

Deb, I gots it,Baby! I gots it. Oh, I'll fill y'all in on the weighing. It HAS to be better than dropping myself to death and losing count.

I didn't forget, but thanks for the reminder. :D
    I use syringes. No weight, no drops. Most recipes are given in %'s. Plug each flavor & the pecents it into e-juice me up.com & it tells you how many ml's of each flavor, pg, vg, & nic to pull with the syringe! E Z!

Iffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    ... scaling by weight is the way to go.

Glad dat's workin' out fer ya. I'll spend my scale monies on more flavs...

But it's 19 degrees outside, so I think I'll go out & sit in a snow bank and vape :lol:

Well, it's 'bout 77 degrees in my garage here and my vape is great (sans scales)! Hey, different tokes fer different folks...
    thumbsup.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread